Right before you hit the dirt....

CozMan
3/19/2019 6:29am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2019 8:59am
Let's hear those thoughts that you remember clearly right before you wadded up in epic fashion.

Here's mine: Riding with my brother...we were just horsing around doing this stupid little tabletop that I swear couldn't have been 10' across. I don't even know how I lost it, but I remember being about 6' above the ground, looking down and the last thing I thought was "WOW - this is probably going to hurt. Haven't crashed in a while."

I woke up in an MRI machine. The whole right side of my head is metal/screws (ala WP, though not nearly as epic as his).
|
3/19/2019 6:35am
Haha. Sorry to hear about that. I hope you heal up well. I had my first big one in a few years last fall, and I remember just being so pissed before I even hit the ground. I made a calculated decision to jump through the bars and I swear it felt like I had all day to think about it before I did and again before I hit. Just a total “what the f&$!, dumbass!” at myself, but surprisingly calm. It was a sizable endo on my 150 that still had only a few hours on it.
walleyeguy
3/19/2019 6:42am
Usually what I'm thinking is "How much $ this time?"
CozMan
3/19/2019 6:44am
Haha. Sorry to hear about that. I hope you heal up well. I had my first big one in a few years last fall, and I...
Haha. Sorry to hear about that. I hope you heal up well. I had my first big one in a few years last fall, and I remember just being so pissed before I even hit the ground. I made a calculated decision to jump through the bars and I swear it felt like I had all day to think about it before I did and again before I hit. Just a total “what the f&$!, dumbass!” at myself, but surprisingly calm. It was a sizable endo on my 150 that still had only a few hours on it.
I'm fine - just a good story to tell over a beer. Was right at 20 years ago now, I guess. Was on a clapped out 89 YZ125. Lost my brother a few years ago to the evil C. :-( Ah, memories.
kb228
3/19/2019 7:03am
Im amazed you guys think when you ride. My brain turns off when im on a bike. Everything is subconsciously done

The Shop

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
3/19/2019 9:22am
"Oh shit!" has been uttered, mumbled, or yelled several times over the years just prior to me crashing a truck, a few cars, and several motorcycles. One of my friends was in the truck 30+ years ago and we still laugh about it to this day.
Rickyisms
3/19/2019 9:25am
125 locked up middle of the triple, front wheel was already pointing way more down than I was comfortable with, pegged the motor to bring the rear even with the front and heard a metal crunch. As soon as I heard that I knew I was damn well fucked and nothing I could've done would've saved it. Minor concussion, new cylinder, and piston later we were back riding. FYI for anyone familiar with the place, This was Gatorback MX in the split line section, not a whole lot of dirt there, pretty much concrete.
greenmx5
3/19/2019 9:31am
Cross rutted right before a single to tabletop landing that was about 70-80 ft and got shot off the track. Wouldn't of been a big deal, front end was a little low, would've been sketchy but i probably could've saved it, but there was a flagger standing with his back turned to me at the point of landing. I remember panic revving hoping he would turn around, but he didn't, and I thought "fuck, i'm going to kill this guy". luckily I landed just before him and was able to turn and "slide out" and took out his legs instead of just having my front tire go into his back like i thought was going to happen. He jumped up frantically and asked if I was alright and i looked at him and said "are YOU alright?!?"
3/19/2019 9:37am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 9:42am
kb228 wrote:
Im amazed you guys think when you ride. My brain turns off when im on a bike. Everything is subconsciously done
That only really happens when racing, which is why I almost never get injured practicing.

Edit: My thoughts before hitting the ground (if there's time to think) is how can I make this break me less, and where are the dudes behind me so I can try to avoid getting hit.
Sierra Ranger
3/19/2019 9:39am
I stepped off the back of my KX250 over a fairly small jump- I remember thinking "this won't be so bad."
Wrong- landed on my left side on hard dirt- broken hip, rib, concussion. Life flighted- carried three screws in my hip for 10 years and finally got a full hip replacement.
Bad choice- stay with the bike!
SKIDLID
Fantasy
918th
3/19/2019 10:50am
My bike blew up on a down hill triple jump. I usually pre load a bit and then relax my hands on this jump. At that exact moment the valve failed and the bike dropped away leaving me swimming in the air till I hit the ground. As I was doing perfect cartwheels ,without a judge to verify my perfection, I kept saying in my head I am alright. Around that time I felt my bike hit me and said that might hurt. I broke my tib and fib in my right leg very bad. I spent 5 days in the hospital and 3 surgeries but I kept my leg and have enough use that I can run most days yet.
3/19/2019 4:31pm
Fell this weekend and soon as I hit I thought, I hurt myself. Cracked rib. Coughing just kills me right now.
ThegodSmith
3/19/2019 4:50pm
Years ago, hit a kicker at the top of a ski jump. Bike went sideways in the air and I cartwheeled when it landed. Remember tumbling in slow motion and feeling my helmet compress around my head as it hit, my only thoughts were 'oh shiiiiit'. After I landed in the rough I had a 3 foot branch lodged between my visor and helmet. Couldn't pull it out so had to go back to the pits with it sticking out looking like a goober.
Shawn142
3/19/2019 5:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 5:09pm
The experience can be so different. There are plenty of times where things went wrong and time slows. You feel and know all the steps to a digger are happening and things happen slow enough for you to think and even say "oh shit". Then on my last really big one it happened in just a split second, I don't even know what really went wrong and I was in the dirt with a compression fracture in my neck that thankfully didn't cause me any long term problems.
BS12
3/19/2019 5:19pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 5:19pm
A few months ago I had my local State Champs (BMX) with my best friend's wedding the week after, upon which I was a groomsman.

Final qualifying moto I holeshot before immediately getting my front wheel chopped off at the top of a tall first berm. I remember being bucked up over the bars in slow motion, knowing I had a big, long fall down the berm ahead of me. In that moment as I was going over I was like "can't get hurt, you got a wedding. Can't get hurt, you've got a wedding." Landed and action rolled out of it. Didn't get hurt Smile

In crashes where I know I've done something wrong to cause it, its always a variation of "oh shit" and "for fuck sake" depending on the cause. Its the ones that are sudden and unexpected that or where you don't know why it happened that suck/scare me the most.
IanMac138
3/19/2019 5:24pm
2008 Beaumont...end of the day. Been riding and hitting jumps all morning and afternoon with the homies. Should of called it quits i.e. "never say one more time" scenario. Rode down a steep line to a step down jump and just blanked out as soon as I felt the rear end cross rut. If I hadn't been so tired I wouldn't of been so lazy and could of self corrected the bike, but again..."One more time...". I knew better. I remember thinking "This is NOT going to be good" as I felt the back end compress, swap out and push me into the death endo of all endo's. As I tried to lift my legs up to jump off I felt my toes barely catch on the handlebars, just enough to ruin my ejection. Not only that, but I had overshot the landing by propelling my body weight forward. The 2 seconds this took felt like an eternity.

Next thing I know I'm wadded up 15 feet past the landing, laying on the ground with my '07 YZ250's throttle pinned wide open 10 feet away. It felt like something was wrong with my leg instantly as I tried to comprehend how all of a sudden I was on the ground (that whole discombobulated feeling you have when you first hit terrafirma and your ears are ringing and body aches) but as I tried to get up to hit the kill switch I instantly collapsed back to the dirt. I look down only to see blood seeping through my pants within seconds. Had CTI knee braces on and knew instantly that blood + burning sensation in my thigh = compound fracture of my femur. Within minutes my left pant leg at the thigh and knee area was soaked with blood.

Long story short, it took over an hour for an ambulance to get to me since we were deep in the hills. Got to the hospital and turned out I had not only compounded my femur, but basically grenaded the bone into 20 different pieces. Scariest part was the doc said that the shard of bone that pierced my quadricep missed my femoral artery by less than 1mm. He said if it had cut it, I would of bled out in less than 3-4 minutes and been dead on the spot.
12 days in the hospital, rod and screws + 8-12 months of intense physical therapy left me with a limp and me quitting riding after 20+ years of racing and living MX. Now I'm back riding again after 10 years off. AND LOVE EVERY MOMENT OF IT.
robkinuk
3/19/2019 5:26pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 5:27pm
The moment after you hit the dirt, ring your bell, as you are trying to figure what happened you notice a weird metal taste and smell in your mouth. Where does that come from????ShockedBlushHuh
3/19/2019 5:29pm
To many crashes to remember but generally it’s: “ive got this, I’ve got this.........”(sky..dirt..sky..dirt)
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
3/19/2019 5:53pm
Usually it's, "Oh, fu..." Followed quickly by, "Ooof."
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
3/19/2019 5:53pm
robkinuk wrote:
The moment after you hit the dirt, ring your bell, as you are trying to figure what happened you notice a weird metal taste and smell...
The moment after you hit the dirt, ring your bell, as you are trying to figure what happened you notice a weird metal taste and smell in your mouth. Where does that come from????ShockedBlushHuh
Usually blood.
plowboy
3/19/2019 5:55pm
1972. First ride on a motorized 2 wheeler. My best friends Otasco (Oklahoma Tire and Supply) rope pull start mini bike. Across the pasture at probably all of 20 mph. Demon headshake threw me on the ground. Tore a hole in my pants...with a matching three inch cut just below my kneecap. As we looked at the little mini trying to figure out what might have cut me...we realised that thing was entirely made from repurposed kitchen knives, straight razors, old shovels and barbed wire. The only thing that wasn't sharp was the tires. Right before I hit the dirt...I was having a blast.
Meister
3/19/2019 6:10pm
I haven't agreed with guyb too often really, but you nailed this one for me. I can still hear it multiple times when I relive eating shit. Oh fuk, then my body automatically does the oooff sound follow by gargoyle noises.
3/19/2019 6:24pm
When my front wheel stuck on my rm 250 in deep sand..."wtf why did it do that shit shit shit my back is gonna owwww my kidney"

When my kx 125 cross rutted in 5th tapped..."shit that doesn't feel right why is my wheel there, pin it you'll be fine lean this way wiiiiinnnnngggggggggg. Why are all my friends stopped around me?"

Coming out of a corner in 2nd on my crf 450 ... " hold it straight through these whoops, your rear just kicked. Don't grab the clutch pin it (grabs clutch anyway) this won't hurt too bad. Impacted my rotator cuff.

I have more if anyone has interest.

devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3807th
3/19/2019 6:47pm
It usually happens so fast you don't have time to think, or even react. It's a sketchy moment immediately led to tightening up preparing for impact.
Maddeh
Fantasy
535th
3/19/2019 6:50pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 6:51pm
Racing Enduro last December and was in a long sandy valley with some small whoops / chop. I was feeling great up to this point so I was pushing hard, 4th gear. I was right near the end of a test section and was pushing to the end. Then the swap came.... see the back tire out of the corner of my left eye, then the corner of my right eye, and think 'i'm definitely going down'. I remember being ejected upward rather than the high side I was expecting.

Next thing I remember I am flat on my back looking skyward. I see someone running over asking if I'm ok and in my mind I am saying yes and nodding but looking back I don't think I said or did anything. I'm sure I was knocked out for a bit but no witnesses to verify.

Got going and rolled slowly the rest of the way to the test finish, and was soooo confused. Couldn't remember coming there, felt like the wrong time of the year for this race, thought I was dreaming. Someone asked if I needed help with my gas and I told them I didn't know what I was doing there. Asked me who the president was, tried so hard to answer but could not come up with anything to say so I just shook my head.

That helmet is hanging up in the garage now.
DTR830
Fantasy
1131st
3/19/2019 7:08pm
Fell this weekend and soon as I hit I thought, I hurt myself. Cracked rib. Coughing just kills me right now.
sneezing is getting me this week from mine
3/19/2019 7:13pm
GuyB wrote:
Usually it's, "Oh, fu..." Followed quickly by, "Ooof."
That’s funny. For me it’s a bit different. There’s like paragraphs of sentences goin through my head before the impact. Then I check the gopro footage and I’m pretty amazed because the amount of time it took to crash I couldn’t speak 3 words. But in the moment crashing I’m saying paragraphs of “holy shit this one isn’t gonna be good, lean back, grab her now. Get it. You got this. Almost got it. Fuck. Not getting this. Yep. Crashing. Oh shit. Here we go. Haven’t done this in a while.”

*THUD.

“....fuck. Sweet nothing broke.”
Or..alternate ending...

“...shit that’s broke.” *gives dad the ole “I’m hurt wave” sags head in defeat.
brycepdh
3/19/2019 8:47pm
There was this one time I’m hitting a ski jump in 3rd gear and clicking up to 4th and for some reason 4th didn’t engage. This was at the bottom of the ramp.

You’ve guessed it.... the nose dives and panic rev engaged. This felt like the longest time during the panic rev and thinking Ah shit, fuck, am I going to ride this out, while the bike is going stu stu stu stu stu...

when the wheel touched the ground I immediately went over the bars and hit the ground, I remember thinking fuck I’ve hit the ground then I hit ground again thinking what the fuck I’m still going and again. I bounced at least 3 times and witnesses said it was pretty gnarly haha.

The track was very hard pack so all I got was carpet burns all over my body and all the bike done was just a bent up cockpit surprisingly. Bent bars, bar mounts, levers and even the throttle cable housing, never seen that one happen!
3/19/2019 8:55pm
DTR830 wrote:
sneezing is getting me this week from mine
Injured my ribs three times the past two seasons. Getting older sucks. Broken ribs suck.
Alec138
3/19/2019 9:03pm
3 major wrecks i have had:

1st wreck: Was hauling ass through the woods on my old YZ250F and came up on a corner to fast and blew through it slamming into a big ass tree with the clutch side of the bars. Crushed my handguard (thank god i had them) broke clutch lever, 90 degreed that side of the bars and went for a trip tumbling across the ground.

2nd wreck: Was cruising back to the parking lot down this wide sandy/rocky service road standing up. Turned the bars to sharp and washed out. Ended up slamming down on my shoulder into the rocks.

3rd wreck: Was riding our normal trail riding place and came in to hot in a uphill corner type trail with a 30-40ft drop down a hill. Ended up not paying attention and going off the hill. Scared the shit out of me.
MX76er
3/19/2019 9:47pm
Alec138 wrote:
3 major wrecks i have had: 1st wreck: Was hauling ass through the woods on my old YZ250F and came up on a corner to fast...
3 major wrecks i have had:

1st wreck: Was hauling ass through the woods on my old YZ250F and came up on a corner to fast and blew through it slamming into a big ass tree with the clutch side of the bars. Crushed my handguard (thank god i had them) broke clutch lever, 90 degreed that side of the bars and went for a trip tumbling across the ground.

2nd wreck: Was cruising back to the parking lot down this wide sandy/rocky service road standing up. Turned the bars to sharp and washed out. Ended up slamming down on my shoulder into the rocks.

3rd wreck: Was riding our normal trail riding place and came in to hot in a uphill corner type trail with a 30-40ft drop down a hill. Ended up not paying attention and going off the hill. Scared the shit out of me.
“3 major wrecks” part two
1 Racing directly into sun, jumped 3rd gear nearly pinned on 08crf450 off downhill double landing on edge of track, while in air I had time to think of landing on cut edge of hill side or top of hay bale. Decided I would go top of bale, cased it and was pitched head first over bars summersaulting downhill I landed flat on my back. Compressed one vertebrae 17 degrees and hairline fractured another in neck. This was a rough one, screams of terror mid air, by far worst crash of my life.

2 Jumping 2003 cr85, was 3rd absolutely tapped coming out of a gully I launched uphill double. 60k wind kicked my rear end sideways so I stuck my foot out while landing but dabbed down to soon. Foot and leg hit ground before suspension could soak anything up. Tore my LCL clean off my femur. Never even tore the actual ligament.

3 Racing a KX80, lapping a rider I jumped to right of him on uphill to downhill step table. Kid moved over on face of table, by the time I was mid air my tires landed right on him and I cartwheeled big time going downhill I broke fibreglass mouth piece on helmet, tore chest protector in half. Was in a bad way for weeks. Found out I broke my collarbone, sternum and rubs. All crashes were super painful. When Moto was life.

Post a reply to: Right before you hit the dirt....

The Latest