Road 2 Recovery Starts Fund to Support Micky Dymond

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
10/21/2019 4:16pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2019 7:43am
https://road2recovery.com/cause-view/micky-dymond/

Encinitas, calif. (October 21, 2019) – On October 9, 2019, Micky Dymond sustained a traumatic brain injury when he crashed on his bicycle during a training ride in Orange County, California. Even though Dymond was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash, he still sustained extensive head trauma that caused subdural brain contusions and subarachnoid hemorrhaging that rendered Micky unconscious for nearly fifteen minutes at the scene of the accident. He came to briefly, only to go back to being unconscious upon arrival at the ICU. He woke up five days later. After spending the first week unconscious in ICU, and another week in a neurotrauma unit, Dymond is on the next steps of his road to recovery.

In addition to his head injury, Micky also sustained a broken collarbone, broken ribs, damage to his hip, a deep laceration to his head and large amounts of road rash. At this time, Dymond is under 24-hour care and is being treated for MRSA in the Neuro Trauma Unit at OC Global. The goal is to get him admitted into an acute rehabilitation facility in the Orange County, CA area to help him heal and combat the long-term effects of TBI (traumatic brain injury).

Unfortunately, Dymond does not have medical insurance and is expected to have insurmountable medical expenses. Therapy, coupled with a two-week stay in the hospital, and the fact that Dymond won’t be able to work for months to come, all add up to a long and expensive recovery for Micky and his family. If you are able to support him, please make a tax-deductible donation to his cause here. Funds donated to Dymond's cause will go directly to cover the mounting medical expenses he incurs.

Please leave a positive message for Micky Dymond on his Road 2 Recovery cause page. Any and all prayers and positive vibes are appreciated and needed.

Micky and his family are grateful for any donation. Please find the Road 2 Recovery donation page here.

|
Bigfoot
10/21/2019 4:20pm
Thanks GuyB...I was just going to post this.

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
10/21/2019 5:34pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2019 5:37pm
Does not have medical insurance. Unbelievable.
Is teetering on the edge of having a Vital account. Believable.

When I post these, it’s for the people who might actually want to help. Not for the people who don’t know the difference between social media and anti-social media.
bonseff
10/21/2019 7:21pm
Brutal, the hospital + rehab bills are going to be a total stresser. Hate to see this happen to a hero of mine, I'll hit the link and chip in, but damn, this is no fun for anyone in his care, glad to see a fund raiser.

Most importantly, GODSPEED.

The Shop

500guy
10/21/2019 8:11pm
GuyB wrote:
Is teetering on the edge of having a Vital account. Believable. When I post these, it’s for the people who might actually want to help. Not...

When I post these, it’s for the people who might actually want to help. Not for the people who don’t know the difference between social media and anti-social media.
Seriously it is unbelievable.
brettmx
10/21/2019 9:32pm
GuyB wrote:
Is teetering on the edge of having a Vital account. Believable. When I post these, it’s for the people who might actually want to help. Not...

Hold on here. That's a legitimate issue. If he had medical insurance it may not have been enough to cover all the medical expenses, especially not the rehabilitation expenses but not having medical insurance at all is huge issue and now to threaten to delete accounts because it's an uncomfortable subject is unwarranted in my opinion.
bonseff
10/21/2019 9:36pm
GuyB wrote:

500guy wrote:
How is it unbelievable? Seriously, Genuinely curious.
FIREfish148
10/22/2019 12:59am
GuyB wrote:

500guy wrote:
it's unbelievable that you guys are so self indulgent.
newmann
10/22/2019 5:31am
Never should have been posted on a forum/ discussion board that he didn't have insurance if you didn't want open conversation about it. Then the first person who brings it up gets threatened to be kicked off. That says more about this place than it does about one of my moto heroes being uninsured. I'll hold off judgement on Mickey because I, for the most part, don't know anything about his personal situation. I do know that over the past 35 years out on my own, there has been a short time or two that I have been without insurance. Not for long but it really had an impact on what I was willing to go out and risk. What I find unbelievable is how Ca. wants to fine and tax people like Mickey for not having insurance and use that money to provide free healthcare for illegals.

Hell, even with insurance, Mickey would still be in a world of shit with the injuries he has suffered. Something so simple as a bicycle ride gone wrong could screw 99.9% of us here.

Now, off to R2R to donate. I like what Jimmy Button and family have done to give something back and Mickey is still a moto hero. I've got my own issues right now, but I can still swing a Benjamin his way.
7eleven
10/22/2019 9:33am
Hey Dick,
MYOB! Stick to the obvious recovery efforts going on here. He's a National Motocross Champion who rides a bicycle for exercise. I'd say he's calmed down a bit and life doesn't involve near the risk that it used to.
Casting
10/22/2019 9:51am
7eleven wrote:
Hey Dick, MYOB! Stick to the obvious recovery efforts going on here. He's a National Motocross Champion who rides a bicycle for exercise. I'd say he's...
Hey Dick,
MYOB! Stick to the obvious recovery efforts going on here. He's a National Motocross Champion who rides a bicycle for exercise. I'd say he's calmed down a bit and life doesn't involve near the risk that it used to.
It's hypocritical to say "mind your own business" when it's being BROADCAST TO THE PUBLIC that the dude neglected to get health insurance, thus the PUBLIC APPEAL for random people to fund his medical bills.

Cheers to all those who have donated. Hoping he heals up soon and can get back on a bicycle.

scottt89
10/22/2019 9:51am
I know I don't post here a lot, but like others have stated...not having insurance is pretty crazy. When I read the update on another site yesterday, I was blown away with that sentence. I obviously don't know his situation and hate to see anyone hurt but I'm hoping this was just a temporary lapse on insurance. This is not just some office shmuck who was getting his 20min of cardio in and figures he doesn't really live a dangerous lifestyle, so why get insurance.

Anyone who is road biking across America and doing advertised MX and Supermoto events is not a regular injury risk client. This is a high risk even if the professional days are far behind.

With that said, I hope the best for him and his recovery. Something like this must be super hard on the family.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
10/22/2019 10:01am
7eleven wrote:
Hey Dick, MYOB! Stick to the obvious recovery efforts going on here. He's a National Motocross Champion who rides a bicycle for exercise. I'd say he's...
Hey Dick,
Casting wrote:
It's hypocritical to say "mind your own business" when it's being BROADCAST TO THE PUBLIC that the dude neglected to get health insurance, thus the PUBLIC...
It's hypocritical to say "mind your own business" when it's being BROADCAST TO THE PUBLIC that the dude neglected to get health insurance, thus the PUBLIC APPEAL for random people to fund his medical bills.

Cheers to all those who have donated. Hoping he heals up soon and can get back on a bicycle.

This. You don't get to publicly ask for help and not be questioned on why you neglected to at least partially cover your ass with a basic policy.

That being said, I'm sending a hundy his way to help. Hope others do as well if they can.
Boomslang
Fantasy
657th
10/22/2019 10:05am
I don't ride much anymore, the occasional spin on my riders bike as I can't afford to buy and maintain my own bike. I have my MTB, BMX and a couple of skateboards. I am nowhere near wealthy, often we as a family at home live on a tight budget but there is one thing we have never gone without...and that is a good Medical Aid / Health Insurance.

With that said, all the best to Micky for a full and speedy recovery.
Brad460
Fantasy
807th
10/22/2019 10:32am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2019 10:34am
7eleven wrote:
Hey Dick,
Casting wrote:
It's hypocritical to say "mind your own business" when it's being BROADCAST TO THE PUBLIC that the dude neglected to get health insurance, thus the PUBLIC...

avidchimp wrote:
This. You don't get to publicly ask for help and not be questioned on why you neglected to at least partially cover your ass with a...
This. You don't get to publicly ask for help and not be questioned on why you neglected to at least partially cover your ass with a basic policy.

That being said, I'm sending a hundy his way to help. Hope others do as well if they can.
What's going through my head is--I have been making monthly health insurance payments now for 20+ years..never missed a month. In addition I am constantly funding an HRA....All so if something happens to me I am covered.
Same goes for car insurance, boat insurance, umbrella policy, home insurance..etc- I hate paying this stuff as much as the next guy.

Best of luck to Micky and a lesson to others who don't carry insurance (except you wont get a R2R fund).

Alex.434
10/22/2019 10:57am
What a shame. I look forward to the day we join the rest of the civilized western world and provide universal healthcare to our citizens. One freak accident and you are financially ruined, yet we are paying more for less. Maddening.

Heal up Mickey.
ATKpilot99
10/22/2019 11:04am
7eleven wrote:
Hey Dick,
He was actually going to compete in a legends supermoto race until this happened. In any case I'm glad he's recovering and wish him the best.
a22
10/22/2019 11:32am
Thats hard- injury was damn well brutal enough anyway to cope and deal with.

Really hope things work out oneway or another financially somehow and most of all a full physical recovery can be achieved.
abn166
10/22/2019 12:00pm
Just sent some cash.
byke
10/25/2019 1:31pm
For what it's worth, I wouldn't have interpreted the comments about him not having insurance as a slight against him, more like a comment about how the system is a mess.
soren346
10/25/2019 1:47pm
GuyB wrote:

Maybe you should click yourself for a bit. I'm 45 and I don't have health insurance. And yes it is unbelievable...
Forty
10/25/2019 3:07pm
My wife and I paid 1720 a month in 2018 for shit insurance and I told her that if it went up as much for 2019 as it did for 2018 I wasn’t paying it anymore. It went to almost $2000 a month for the 2 of us. I told her no more. Luckily she took a job that offers real coverage and more comprehensive coverage for $410.00 a month.

It is unbelievable to not have insurance for your health but I was a month from doing it.

I think more than not are in the same place.

Unbelievable indeed.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
10/25/2019 5:58pm
soren346 wrote:
Maybe you should click yourself for a bit. I'm 45 and I don't have health insurance. And yes it is unbelievable...
People thought self-cleaning ovens were miraculous. The true miracle is a self-cleaning forum.
Kyle978
10/25/2019 6:26pm
I’ve made a good amount of money working in the health insurance industry. It’s a broken system, and the people who need it most don’t have access due to cost. It’s sad, and I hate it. There’s a lot of people getting rich off others getting and staying sick.
Jeff alessi
10/25/2019 6:48pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2019 6:50pm
When I was injured getting ready for sx without insurance (and all of it got posted on here) a woman from San Bernardino that worked for medical offered to enroll me in and it took care of any medical bills up to 2-3 months prior to my injury. I hope he can use that to his advantage. I payed till my last dime cause you can’t race the series without insurance but not everyone has insurance, when I got hurt it was cause 3 months prior I couldn’t afford paying $824 each month for coverage, and that was basic coverage.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
10/25/2019 7:56pm
Hope he recovers completely. Did Micky have a normal job now, not sure what he has been doing after retiring from racing or if like a lot of the ex riders go into business for themselves.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
10/25/2019 9:09pm
I don’t know the full deets, either. But rather than kick a guy when he’s down, like some seem to want to do, it’s an opportunity for those who can help to step up. For those who want to question it at the karma bank? There’s a substantial penalty for early withdrawal.

Post a reply to: Road 2 Recovery Starts Fund to Support Micky Dymond

The Latest