Roczen Epstein Barr?

BS12
Edited Date/Time 10/22/2019 9:27am
I know its been talked about a lot during the season, so I don't want to flog a dead horse, but from memory this is the first I've seen where he (or anyone) has made it unofficially official that this is what he's been dealing with. An interesting quote I took from his recent interview on Racer X:

How are you doing with everything else, physically and all that? Is it coming around?
It’s been pretty good. It will be interesting to see once I start training to see how everything goes.

Really? It’s still that mysterious?
Yeah. We all know what it was. Nobody wants me to do a statement or anything. I keep doing my tests and everything and the rest is just let’s see how it is when we start training how I recover. It’s weird. I am not afraid to put in hard work, but there’s a difference—I say it all the time and people don’t understand, but there’s a difference in being like, okay, I did a lot of training. I’m kind of tired. I’m bogging down. There’s a difference between that and then I’ve hardly done anything yet I’m fatigued and I feel empty. It’s way different. People don’t understand. The only thing I can say is that’s the case. I know my body, how it feels like after doing a lot of training, or I know my body when I feel like I have the flu and I haven’t done anything hard at all.

____

I'm not a doctor or anything, but that sure sounds like EBV to me. Hopefully it sorts itself out this off season and we get to see him come out swinging at A1
|
10/7/2019 10:37pm
EBV is mono, right? I got it at the beginning of the year and it wiped me out. 10 months later and I still can’t get through a whole workout. Feeling stronger for sure but I easily get fatigued over the smallest tasks. Really hoping he doesn’t have it!
Rotaholic
10/7/2019 11:49pm
So easy to knock it until you have had it.

They call it the cell phone disease, one phone you charge over night and it will go all day, another phone with EBV, you charge it fully over night, hardly use it and its down to 20% before lunchtime.
Bjorn645
Fantasy
1076th
10/8/2019 2:07am
Saw that too and wondered what was up. Still in all the hundreds of pro sports EBV only seems to effect our tiny sport's athletes Whistling
hillbilly
10/8/2019 3:16am
You gotta get the BAL up to a point it kills everything in the blood and not get jakelegged

Not been sick in twenty five years

The Shop

swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3801st
10/8/2019 4:10am
I don’t wish that on anyone. It’s rough. It took me months and months to be able to do anything. I hope he can get healthy and put it in the past.
Stoneface
10/8/2019 5:01am
hillbilly wrote:
You gotta get the BAL up to a point it kills everything in the blood and not get jakelegged

Could you explain this? I don’t know what BAL stands for?
Thanks
newmann
10/8/2019 5:13am
hillbilly wrote:

Hell yeah, Hillbilly to the rescue! Smile
10/8/2019 5:37am
Is this really a revelation? Is there anyone who didn't assume that was the problem? We've seen the same pattern from multiple guys for years. It's brutal. Anyone who's had it, knows that. I speak from experience. It affects your immune system the rest of your life and it can put you in the hospital when it returns.
FIREfish148
10/8/2019 6:13am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2019 6:17am
Anyone who battles with EBV or has had mono should read up on Cass Ingram's work. I happened to stumble on this podcast that Matt Blackburn did with him while I was dealing with strep and learned I could actually kick its ass some what naturally with wild oregano oil. And it really worked well. I also learned that this virus that lives dormat and is actually in the herp family and will stay with whoever carries it forever. Check this guys work, its really helped me out recently so I thought i would share. https://www.stitcher.com/s?eid=63731901&refid=asa

Also, if you mega dose this stuff make sure its "wild"oregano oil, not the GMO stuff. I tried high dosing the GMO stuff and it gave me crazy headachs. Heres the stuff I use, the big tincture on the right is the lab grown not wild stuff that i use sparingly.

10/8/2019 6:20am
Bjorn645 wrote:
Saw that too and wondered what was up. Still in all the hundreds of pro sports EBV only seems to effect our tiny sport's athletes Whistling
That is a good point. Sure, the top athletes in our sport are as fit as the top athletes in any endurance sport, but you only hear about our guys getting EBV. I wonder why that is.
10/8/2019 6:23am
Bjorn645 wrote:
10/8/2019 6:28am
Whenever it cracks 90 I have EBV.

It's just too frickin hot. My dogs get EBV when it's too hot also and just want to lay in the shade. Unless there is water to play in.

Are dogs smarter than people?

twotwosix
10/8/2019 7:17am
Wait, I thought Roczen was suffering side effects from his medication over the Lime debacle from the San Diego SX? Now it's EBV? I love Kenny, I just hate the lack of transparency in Moto. If this was the NFL or NBA, we'd have the correct info released to the fans/public. The strange level of secrecy in Moto is part of what is holding us back.
hamncheeze
10/8/2019 8:14am
twotwosix wrote:
Wait, I thought Roczen was suffering side effects from his medication over the Lime debacle from the San Diego SX? Now it's EBV? I love Kenny...
Wait, I thought Roczen was suffering side effects from his medication over the Lime debacle from the San Diego SX? Now it's EBV? I love Kenny, I just hate the lack of transparency in Moto. If this was the NFL or NBA, we'd have the correct info released to the fans/public. The strange level of secrecy in Moto is part of what is holding us back.
Remember this is the same guy who had a "bit of a cold" for the entire 2012 season. Like every friggin' post-race interview.

Ken and his PR team could have handled this better. Either say nothing at all, or be transparent. The constant "going through something" etc, etc does not help his credibility. But honestly at his level it doesn't matter what he does, he will always be criticized by some fans and loved by others....
Sideways
10/8/2019 8:52am
Arnaud Tonus got epstein barr when he went over to america to race. Ruined his chances of racing there.

The positive thing is that he is now back to 100% and faster than ever and winning GPs!
Bjorn645
Fantasy
1076th
10/8/2019 9:12am
twotwosix wrote:
Wait, I thought Roczen was suffering side effects from his medication over the Lime debacle from the San Diego SX? Now it's EBV? I love Kenny...
Kroc is pretty well known to be very transparent with his health issues. His instagram during the surgeries was like a Zombie movie.I think he would be happy to tell us the issue it seems for once though he has been asked to keep it confidential by his team/sponsors whoever..
yak651
Fantasy
214th
10/8/2019 9:33am
twotwosix wrote:
Bjorn645 wrote:
Kroc is pretty well known to be very transparent with his health issues. His instagram during the surgeries was like a Zombie movie.I think he would...
Kroc is pretty well known to be very transparent with his health issues. His instagram during the surgeries was like a Zombie movie.I think he would be happy to tell us the issue it seems for once though he has been asked to keep it confidential by his team/sponsors whoever..
Yep, he can basically give us step by step photos of the process to keep him from losing his arm but can't give an update on having Epstein Barr? Why would that need to be kept secret?
tingo
10/8/2019 9:56am
twotwosix wrote:
This is what I remember as well. Something about the antibiotics he took to after Limegate wiping out the good bacteria in his body along with the bad. Usually that just gives one the shits until you build up healthy gut flora again, but I'm not doctor.
10/8/2019 9:59am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2019 9:59am
twotwosix wrote:
Bjorn645 wrote:
Kroc is pretty well known to be very transparent with his health issues. His instagram during the surgeries was like a Zombie movie.I think he would...
yak651 wrote:
Yep, he can basically give us step by step photos of the process to keep him from losing his arm but can't give an update on...
Yep, he can basically give us step by step photos of the process to keep him from losing his arm but can't give an update on having Epstein Barr? Why would that need to be kept secret?
How do you Instagram just being low on energy for a prolonged period of time? It isn't like a surgery.
kiwifan
10/8/2019 12:39pm
twotwosix wrote:
Holding us back?? From what?????? I dont need to know what a sportsman's illness diagnosis is...I am sure his team does but why does it impact you, sorry us??
MikeID
10/8/2019 1:29pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2019 1:31pm
Bjorn645 wrote:
yak651 wrote:
Yep, he can basically give us step by step photos of the process to keep him from losing his arm but can't give an update on...
How do you Instagram just being low on energy for a prolonged period of time? It isn't like a surgery.
EBV sucks, but I think WhatchaWant has told us what we should post when we have it:

10/8/2019 1:34pm
twotwosix wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
Holding us back?? From what?????? I dont need to know what a sportsman's illness diagnosis is...I am sure his team does but why does it impact...
Holding us back?? From what?????? I dont need to know what a sportsman's illness diagnosis is...I am sure his team does but why does it impact you, sorry us??
I ‘get’ what he means. It isn’t just about illness, it’s about general transparency that is interesting to the fans.
What parts of the bike are or aren’t working?
How the athlete’s health is.
What his (honest) goals are.
Where’s his form is at right now.
Even what deals are on the table and where his future lies.
It’s all interesting to the fans and worthy of a daily headline.
zehn
10/8/2019 1:35pm
twotwosix wrote:
I suppose you're not familiar with how player associations and collective bargaining agreements work.

You see this same hush-hush stuff in college football because they have no representation either.
kiwifan
10/8/2019 2:01pm
twotwosix wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
Holding us back?? From what?????? I dont need to know what a sportsman's illness diagnosis is...I am sure his team does but why does it impact...
I ‘get’ what he means. It isn’t just about illness, it’s about general transparency that is interesting to the fans. What parts of the bike are...
I ‘get’ what he means. It isn’t just about illness, it’s about general transparency that is interesting to the fans.
What parts of the bike are or aren’t working?
How the athlete’s health is.
What his (honest) goals are.
Where’s his form is at right now.
Even what deals are on the table and where his future lies.
It’s all interesting to the fans and worthy of a daily headline.
To be fair most sports are like this, often you will not hear the real reason behind a performance or lack of one. I guess some sweat that more than others Smile
pbody
Fantasy
347th
10/8/2019 2:08pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2019 3:41pm
twotwosix wrote:
tingo wrote:
This is what I remember as well. Something about the antibiotics he took to after Limegate wiping out the good bacteria in his body along with...
This is what I remember as well. Something about the antibiotics he took to after Limegate wiping out the good bacteria in his body along with the bad. Usually that just gives one the shits until you build up healthy gut flora again, but I'm not doctor.
I concur.....effects of medication/antibiotics after the San Diego debacle....and that is why he has been asked to keep it low key, most likely by Feld. Secrecy sucks, but given all that went down with Limegate, it's just part of the fallout.
10/8/2019 5:59pm
As someone who works in medicine I too have wondered why epstein barr seems to be such an epidemic in this sport. It really makes me wonder if they're going completely off the EBV antibody test. Something like 90% of people will get infected with EBV at some point in their lives and will then have the antibodies in their blood. Just because you test positive doesn't mean you have active mono. I'm sure some of the racers have had mono, but I think a lot of them are just searching for an excuse to cling to.
Adam89
10/20/2019 1:43pm
twotwosix wrote:
It’s Ken Roczen what more do you expect? Put aside the arm injuries for a moment and look back over the years, whenever he isn’t winning he’s “sick”.
To many Roczen fan boys to look past the smoke and mirrors right in front of them.

Post a reply to: Roczen Epstein Barr?

The Latest