Roczen to Replace Emig in the booth for rest of SX?

NorCal 50+
2/25/2018 9:22am
One thing that hurts them is the apparent rule that they can only talk about what the viewers can see on the screen. That is one reason they seemingly miss every time something happens to the leader.
Do they do it this way in football? Football announcers spend a lot of time telling us things we don't know ourselves..Ralph and Jeff can hardly tell who is on the track a lot of the times or what is going on- it's annoying.It's more like watching with your buddies than experts sharing insight (every error is just mental).
Steve125
Fantasy
2759th
2/25/2018 9:24am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2018 9:25am
I think the biggest problem is that Jeff and Ralph have a little voice in their ear directing them on what to talk about while someone else in the control booth directs which camera shot to go to. Problem is, the person directing it all mustn't know shit about MX.. Ken was trying to comment on Seely's crash while Ralph ignored him. later Ralph said, "they're going by a rider down" A rider? really? the guy 2nd in points? There was also a long pause when Ralph started talking about a battle for the lead in the 250 race because the camera refused to show it. instead they followed the 45 around til someone got word to move on.
If I had to put up with all that shit while trying to cover a race, I'd stumble on my words too.
Motofinne
2/25/2018 9:27am
Racer111 wrote:
I really hate listening to all of you young disrespectful morons bad mouth legends because you have zero respect for anything or anyone. Do you know...
I really hate listening to all of you young disrespectful morons bad mouth legends because you have zero respect for anything or anyone.

Do you know any history on Jeff Emig? Aside from being a bad ass on a scooter he also has overcome a horrible stuttering problem. I think he does a great job in the booth. How about you just watch the racing and stop whining and crying over the dumbest shit in the world.
Do you know why people are so hard on him? Well because of the reasons you mentioned.

He was the best rider in the world at one point of his career. He HAS to have lots of knowledge between his ears! And he doesn't use it.

It's a shame.
4rings
2/25/2018 9:28am
The announcing team sucks! They've been in their positions too long, time to clean house and change it up.

The Shop

Do_Work
2/25/2018 9:35am
Couple points I loved hearing from Kenny:

Kenny wrapped up his point about suspension setup saying there's a happy medium, which is an acknowledgment his past setup wasn't the best either. (obviously his rebound was too soft = little room for error = over the bars).

Matthes has been BEGGING for some intellectual analysis like you hear on nascar broadcasts. Not the dumbed-down highly limited vocabulary that Jeff and Ralph are forced to use. His argument is the audience is smarter than you think. You won't lose the lowest common denominator currently watching, and you'll gain more listeners that appreciate learning the technicalities of racing.

Kenny provided such analysis effortlessly. Even giving the listeners insight to a commonly used term "dead feeling" and then immediately explaining what that means in laymans terms. It was refreshing.

Kenny matter-of-factly stating Marvin is slow in the whoops, has been all season, and has been his whole career. There is no debate. If Marvin doesn't like the commentary then man up, lift some weights, click the forks and blitz the whoops. Do a power clean for me one time Marvin. One time.
hititpind
2/25/2018 9:39am
Roczen was GREAT!! Really enjoyed him in the booth
TymeMoto
2/25/2018 10:01am
Alessi should take over for Jeff
Thelen20
2/25/2018 10:02am
Roczen was great on the mic!
chillrich
2/25/2018 10:09am
Weege and JT$ alluded to a Facebook Live from the races, are they doing something from press-box?
croom mx
2/25/2018 10:13am
68 wrote:
offered more insight than Jeff within 3 mins of his announcing career
Yes Roczen has more riding detail he puts into his comments. Much more interesting to listen to him.
2/25/2018 10:16am
Racer111 wrote:
I really hate listening to all of you young disrespectful morons bad mouth legends because you have zero respect for anything or anyone. Do you know...
I really hate listening to all of you young disrespectful morons bad mouth legends because you have zero respect for anything or anyone.

Do you know any history on Jeff Emig? Aside from being a bad ass on a scooter he also has overcome a horrible stuttering problem. I think he does a great job in the booth. How about you just watch the racing and stop whining and crying over the dumbest shit in the world.
Just because Jeff has overcome his stutter means he needs to be handled with kid gloves? Pretty much everyone has had to overcome something in their lives to get ahead.

And no one is bad mouthing Jeff, Ralph is far from a legend and as fans of the sport everyone is expressing their concern that the commentary isn’t that good.

It’s not just the fans either. Ever listen to pulpmx and hear Steve, JT, Weege and anyone else who happens to be on the show say the same stuff as everyone here?

It’s a problem that has been going on for a while and it isn’t getting any better. It really doesn’t help at all when Kroc shows up and puts them to shame.

Red141
2/25/2018 12:20pm
Uh, no. Who else knows about Castillo Ranch but the hard core Moto fans?
2/25/2018 1:06pm
Did anyone ever consider that maybe, just maybe that what Ralph and Jeff do is exactly what the powers that be want them to do? I don't think putting new people in the booth would change much, they do what their employer says and I have to think they're told to cater to the newer fans.
Beeby
2/25/2018 2:42pm
Personally I thought Ken did a great job and he added so much so soon. Especially when you consider English is not his first language. I’d rather see him on a bike though!
flyinb501
Fantasy
392nd
2/25/2018 6:43pm
Racer111 wrote:

So these things qualify him to be a commentator for Supercross? That is ridiculous. We should have the best. There are tons of guys that would kill for that job. Jeff is just not cutout for it. He's not awful, but he's not good. There's no reason to not have someone that is really good at the job.
gabrielito
2/25/2018 7:12pm
I think it is more the production team than Emig. Do they even have someone feeding them stats and info about what is happening? It seems like they just wing it the whole time without any support, That's not how other sports do it.
JB 19
2/25/2018 8:35pm
Ralph's voice is WAY too loud on the Monster Energy Supercross Video Game......That's all I have.
gnarwhip
2/25/2018 8:42pm
Ralph sucks and always has but he's in tight with Feld, so he's not going anwhere. Kenny was ok, but a bit jumpy and nervous for me. Fro did a great job as always.
linker48x
2/25/2018 8:47pm
Roczen was great to listen to, he has strong opinions and he expressed a few of them. Obviously not something the week in week out announcers can do.

And, just because he is good at this on a one-time basis doesn't mean Jeffro is bad, just that Roczen got to come in for 10 minutes and say what he thinks.

What was frustrating was, he and Jeff were talking interesting bike setup and riding style stuff, and Ralph broke in and asked, "so Ken, just HOW fast are those 450's anyway?", and stopped the whole interesting discussion. Good grief...

Post a reply to: Roczen to Replace Emig in the booth for rest of SX?

The Latest