Ryan Breece Needs Money?

Francis377
2/27/2020 4:06am
It’s crazy that everybody knows that even if you are a main event guy financially you will only make close to minimum wage without any kind of stability or security. Yet there’s always enough guys to go after it and fill the gates . each rider must know for himself how far he is willing to go, I’m surprised there’s still so many guys willing to show up year after year when it almost seems that they have to pay for the experience of riding in front of a stadium crowd instead of getting paid for being part of the attraction responsible for selling tickets to the event .
roninho
2/27/2020 4:17am
haydos25 wrote:
Thats one way to look at it. The other is that FELD provide the platform, its up to the rider, the manufacturer, the team etc. to...
Thats one way to look at it.

The other is that FELD provide the platform, its up to the rider, the manufacturer, the team etc. to decide what they're going to do with it. I agree that an extra 5-10k for each of the top 22 would be good for the sport. I disagree with the ascertion that it is FELD's responsibility to provide that. Ryan Breece isnt providing any value or return on investment, he's asking for a handout. It may get him to the end of the year, but is it going to get him to the end of his career?

How much do you think FELD already cop up just to get the show on the road? Isn't it something like 18 trucks on the road each week just to move it around the country. That's a much riskier investment than anybody else in the sport, they deserve to make as much money as they can for that kind of risk.

Please. I'm perfectly fine with Feld making a lot of money, and i'm sure they have issues like all companies, but let's not act like this is startup who is investing in trucks, stadiums etc with no idea if anybody will show up.
If Feld doesnt do anything stupid to the event they know it will be a lucrative night.
If they invest in expanding overseas, a WMX SX serie or things like that, then yes you have a point. But the Supercross series is a cash cow.

Payup_199
2/27/2020 4:56am
Francis377 wrote:
It’s crazy that everybody knows that even if you are a main event guy financially you will only make close to minimum wage without any kind...
It’s crazy that everybody knows that even if you are a main event guy financially you will only make close to minimum wage without any kind of stability or security. Yet there’s always enough guys to go after it and fill the gates . each rider must know for himself how far he is willing to go, I’m surprised there’s still so many guys willing to show up year after year when it almost seems that they have to pay for the experience of riding in front of a stadium crowd instead of getting paid for being part of the attraction responsible for selling tickets to the event .
minimum wage? he make2 2500-3k a week during supercross... I must be homeless then, because I dont make that. I would say he is well above "minimum wage"
Question
2/27/2020 5:26am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2020 5:28am
Francis377 wrote:
It’s crazy that everybody knows that even if you are a main event guy financially you will only make close to minimum wage without any kind...
Payup_199 wrote:
minimum wage? he make2 2500-3k a week during supercross... I must be homeless then, because I dont make that. I would say he is well above...
minimum wage? he make2 2500-3k a week during supercross... I must be homeless then, because I dont make that. I would say he is well above "minimum wage"
Turnover, revenues, and profit or earnings, that is not the same thing.

Remove all the expenses these top 15-25 riders have to cover and you will see some are well below social security or under the poverty rate in cali. In my opinion, anyone who make main events during 10 years should be able to buy a house, at least. (and also considering they probably spent 500k-2 million to make it to that level).

Manufacturers are not making much on mx bikes and they invest quite a lot in racing. Dealers on mx bikes, not much. Aftermarket parts, it depends but overall not much. Press, not much. Mechanics, not much. Riders, really little except the top 5-top 10. So who is actually a bit greedy i feel and is taking a larger part of the pie than it should ? I really think feld and luongo are abusing from their position. Just my opinion, sorry, i may be wrong but from my understanding, i don't think i am that wrong.

The Shop

stremme12
Fantasy
3693rd
2/27/2020 5:45am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2020 5:50am
Francis377 wrote:
Payup_199 wrote:
minimum wage? he make2 2500-3k a week during supercross... I must be homeless then, because I dont make that. I would say he is well above...
Supercross is 17 weeks. There are 52 weeks in a year. I've never been good at math but I at least know that.

That 2-3k isnt a for sure guarantee every week.

thall767
2/27/2020 6:36am
Francis377 wrote:
Payup_199 wrote:
stremme12 wrote:
Supercross is 17 weeks. There are 52 weeks in a year. I've never been good at math but I at least know that. That 2-3k isnt...
Supercross is 17 weeks. There are 52 weeks in a year. I've never been good at math but I at least know that.

Yeah but he races more than 17 supercross races. He races the German supercross championship and money races in the summer. 2 grand is only the purse for 22 so if he does better he can make more. Also I would have to think he gets money from some type of sponsor for his results. I listed the 2 grand as just making the main but for just making the night show and getting last in the LCQ you get $1070 from just the purse. That number doesn't include any of his other bonuses that he may get.
hanzhongluboy
2/27/2020 6:52am
Hcallz5 wrote:
Racing is a fantasy lifestyle and not everybody is gonna make it. Come on down to the oil refinery, bring tools, alcoholism and some mild depression...
Racing is a fantasy lifestyle and not everybody is gonna make it. Come on down to the oil refinery, bring tools, alcoholism and some mild depression and we'll pay ya $2k/week.
You in the Permian Basin Midland/ Odessa or out in NM?
2/27/2020 7:13am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2020 7:15am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
"There's always barber college"
LOL!

Here is another one:

"The world needs ditch diggers too"

All jokes aside, I am pulling for the guy!

2/27/2020 7:40am
I've said for years. There are alot of guys that would be better off skipping SX and MX on a national level and traveling around the country hitting bigger money pro ams and arenacrosses. They could make more money and not have all the expenses.
Hudd_421
2/27/2020 7:52am
I don't get why more privateers aren't cuddling up with Matthes and trying to get as much exposure as possible. He provides such a great platform and a handful of riders really have him to thank for salaried rides (A-Ray, Seven Deuce Deuce). Even for guys like, Bowers, Clayson, Robin, etc... we all feel like we kinda know these guys from Pulp.
Francis377
2/27/2020 8:33am
Francis377 wrote:
Payup_199 wrote:
To clarify, I was talking about what's left after expenses.
TSCHAM101
2/27/2020 8:42am
JeremyK wrote:
I had a job once that wasn't paying well ...
Bingo.. get a new job or... go faster..
mxb2
2/27/2020 9:08am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2020 9:09am
I've said for years. There are alot of guys that would be better off skipping SX and MX on a national level and traveling around the...
I've said for years. There are alot of guys that would be better off skipping SX and MX on a national level and traveling around the country hitting bigger money pro ams and arenacrosses. They could make more money and not have all the expenses.
Bingo. Local 4 moto wins, pro cash.races pay more than sx, mx.
2/27/2020 9:34am
Breece is a good, hard-working kid with a dream. He is simply asking for help to chase that dream. It takes a lot to ask for help, but shows maturity to realize you can’t do things alone. You can simply help him or not. He is already fighting an uphill battle and I’m sure he could use some encouragement as opposed to some of the bashing above. I love that this kid is a fighter and rides with passion - sometimes too much. Much luck and love and I know most all the moto community backs him wholeheartedly!
stremme12
Fantasy
3693rd
2/27/2020 9:46am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2020 9:50am
Payup_199 wrote:
stremme12 wrote:
Supercross is 17 weeks. There are 52 weeks in a year. I've never been good at math but I at least know that. That 2-3k isnt...

thall767 wrote:
Yeah but he races more than 17 supercross races. He races the German supercross championship and money races in the summer. 2 grand is only the...
Yeah but he races more than 17 supercross races. He races the German supercross championship and money races in the summer. 2 grand is only the purse for 22 so if he does better he can make more. Also I would have to think he gets money from some type of sponsor for his results. I listed the 2 grand as just making the main but for just making the night show and getting last in the LCQ you get $1070 from just the purse. That number doesn't include any of his other bonuses that he may get.
It's a good thing supercross is a cheap sport to be in and he can pocket all that purse money with no expenses.

It's no different than owning your own business.

Revenue - Cost = Profit

Once again I've never been good at math but this one is pretty simple as well.
OldPro277
2/27/2020 9:47am
Not sure these issues will ever get resolved and unfortunately the end result will one of 2 things. MX/SX will become a super small Elitist sport for the super rich, or it will die out completely.

What I DO find amusing is some of the same old comments and replies that always fill these threads. These include the "get faster"-- "train harder" --"find another career". Lol-- Ok ,first off, IF all these guys took this great advice and "found another career" we would eventually have 10-15 guys on a gate and maybe 20 at an Outdoor National. Attendance would drop (gate revenue with it) Tv coverage would cease ,or diminish (again along with revenue) , then whatever Manufacturer support we do have would be gone --why would they throw money at such a small sport ?? Not a glorious ending....

Now to address the "Get faster" "train harder" comments. Breece is getting flamed for blowing up his expenses by using such "Non essential" aids, such as the Lit Pro, his personal trainer , and practice tracks . Yet, these tools are today's mandatory items to all the guys that are actually trying to "get faster" and "train harder" aren't they ??

I'm also under the firm belief that a vast majority of these type of advice givers were never Pro card material and suffered from the Privateer blues, so they don't know the first thing about the difficulties making it from event to event.

The bottom line is that no matter how much faster and higher in the finishes you get ,there will still be basically the top 15 guys (whoever they may be at the moment) that are making a comfortable living while the other 25 making the night show ,or main gate at a National are scraping by. In a sport that takes sooo much skill, dedication,training ,fitness and natural talent with such huge physical risks thrown in as a bonus, it galls me to no end that other than the aforementioned Elite 15-20, that the other top 80 riders in the country aren't competing for a livable wage .

How can it be fixed ? % of gate, distributed based on finish? Manufacturer support ? Outside sponsorship ? Teams paying bigger base salaries ? (that one is doubtful since so many Teams can't survive more than a few years)

Should the guaranteed "start money" be bumped for making the night show or a National gate ? Yes,definitely . Who would foot that? The Promoter. Can they afford to do that ? Definitely. Will they ? Doubtful.

My opinion is Feld will ride this pony and squeeze all the juice out of it until it becomes a " cast aside" biz like they did with the 146 year old Barnum and Baileys Circus a few years ago. Actually seems very similar in most aspects.

Sorry for the jumping around and rambling , but its just not right that a guy can make more money and a better living racing local ProAms and Fairgrounds races than doing one of the National series' and being one of the top 40 guys in the Nation at your sport. Crazy-----

Also, all the above is just my opinion and I may be 100% wrong on all of it Whistling
BobPA
2/27/2020 9:51am
Maybe it is time to join the real world? If you do not like your job and/or you are not making enough money.....It is time for a change. Begging people on the internet to follow your "dream" will not do any good in the long run, and you are flushing peoples hard earned cash into the shitter. Privateers do not get enough exposure for a solid ROI, the sport does not attract enough eyeballs....pretty simple really.

Amazing the leeway people get because they are fast on a dirt bike. If I started a GoFundme for the Cadillac I have always wanted, you guys would rip me apart, and rightfully so. The guys qualifying for the night show are faster than I could ever dream. But, the fact remains that it is a very niche sport, and there is very little money to go around....especially for the guys who get 10 seconds of TV time while being lapped or in the LCQ. Donating $$$ to a rider begging on the internet is about as a good of an investment as the tropical townhouse I have got for sale in Pennsylvania.
OldPro277
2/27/2020 10:01am
Breece is a good, hard-working kid with a dream. He is simply asking for help to chase that dream. It takes a lot to ask for...
Breece is a good, hard-working kid with a dream. He is simply asking for help to chase that dream. It takes a lot to ask for help, but shows maturity to realize you can’t do things alone. You can simply help him or not. He is already fighting an uphill battle and I’m sure he could use some encouragement as opposed to some of the bashing above. I love that this kid is a fighter and rides with passion - sometimes too much. Much luck and love and I know most all the moto community backs him wholeheartedly!
You are 100% correct Ryan, and since you have been there (as well as I was --although 40 years ago,lol ) you know well of the struggles our sport has for a young gun trying to make it, as compared to all the more main stream stick and ball sports.

And although I do not know Ryan Breece personally at all ,I have watched several interviews with him and he seems like a sharp, well educated, well spoken , dedicated young dude, and I'm pulling for him.

And you are also on the money with the " you can help him or not" no bashing is necessary.
Kyle978
2/27/2020 10:03am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2020 10:06am
Hcallz5 wrote:
Racing is a fantasy lifestyle and not everybody is gonna make it. Come on down to the oil refinery, bring tools, alcoholism and some mild depression...
Racing is a fantasy lifestyle and not everybody is gonna make it. Come on down to the oil refinery, bring tools, alcoholism and some mild depression and we'll pay ya $2k/week.
I’ve got to agree with this.

I had to cut my racing short due to not being able to make ends meet. Being a hundredaire as a racer wasn’t worth the stress and shitty lifestyle I was living.

I actually worked in the Pecos/Carlsbad/Midland area in the oilfield for a couple years after racing and learned what hard work and sacrifice really is. 100-120 hours a week for 6 week stretches were the usual and the goal. That meant big checks were coming our way.

Some racers get the hint and get to work in the real world. Other continue to burn their parents or others money, suffer injuries and wonder why life is so hard for them.

I am shocked that there are people outraged he’s in this situation. Travel around the world or go to a bad neighborhood near you. You’ll see what real struggle and hardships are. Lots of people aren’t mentally or physically fit enough to even earn minimum wage. They would kill for a part time position.

Truth of the matter is there are much better guys who have left the sport because they weren’t making ends meet, or the pay was not worth the risk. Guys that would keep him from being in the main event or maybe even the night show.

Reality can be a tough pill to swallow. My late teens and early twenties were filled with days of me feeling sorry for myself or wanting help so I could live out my dreams.

How long is too long to keep trying?
Question
2/27/2020 11:40am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2020 11:43am
OldPro277 wrote:
Not sure these issues will ever get resolved and unfortunately the end result will one of 2 things. MX/SX will become a super small Elitist sport...
Not sure these issues will ever get resolved and unfortunately the end result will one of 2 things. MX/SX will become a super small Elitist sport for the super rich, or it will die out completely.

What I DO find amusing is some of the same old comments and replies that always fill these threads. These include the "get faster"-- "train harder" --"find another career". Lol-- Ok ,first off, IF all these guys took this great advice and "found another career" we would eventually have 10-15 guys on a gate and maybe 20 at an Outdoor National. Attendance would drop (gate revenue with it) Tv coverage would cease ,or diminish (again along with revenue) , then whatever Manufacturer support we do have would be gone --why would they throw money at such a small sport ?? Not a glorious ending....

Now to address the "Get faster" "train harder" comments. Breece is getting flamed for blowing up his expenses by using such "Non essential" aids, such as the Lit Pro, his personal trainer , and practice tracks . Yet, these tools are today's mandatory items to all the guys that are actually trying to "get faster" and "train harder" aren't they ??

I'm also under the firm belief that a vast majority of these type of advice givers were never Pro card material and suffered from the Privateer blues, so they don't know the first thing about the difficulties making it from event to event.

The bottom line is that no matter how much faster and higher in the finishes you get ,there will still be basically the top 15 guys (whoever they may be at the moment) that are making a comfortable living while the other 25 making the night show ,or main gate at a National are scraping by. In a sport that takes sooo much skill, dedication,training ,fitness and natural talent with such huge physical risks thrown in as a bonus, it galls me to no end that other than the aforementioned Elite 15-20, that the other top 80 riders in the country aren't competing for a livable wage .

How can it be fixed ? % of gate, distributed based on finish? Manufacturer support ? Outside sponsorship ? Teams paying bigger base salaries ? (that one is doubtful since so many Teams can't survive more than a few years)

Should the guaranteed "start money" be bumped for making the night show or a National gate ? Yes,definitely . Who would foot that? The Promoter. Can they afford to do that ? Definitely. Will they ? Doubtful.

My opinion is Feld will ride this pony and squeeze all the juice out of it until it becomes a " cast aside" biz like they did with the 146 year old Barnum and Baileys Circus a few years ago. Actually seems very similar in most aspects.

Sorry for the jumping around and rambling , but its just not right that a guy can make more money and a better living racing local ProAms and Fairgrounds races than doing one of the National series' and being one of the top 40 guys in the Nation at your sport. Crazy-----

Also, all the above is just my opinion and I may be 100% wrong on all of it Whistling
1 point you mentioned reminded myself that I forgot to repeat something.

The top 10 guys don't really need the organizers money ;

In my mind there should be a flat bonus for everybody that makes the 3 hours show.

Then it is up to the riders to negotiate bonuses with their employers and sponsors. The show is just there to give the opportunity to the riders to show their skills. I don't see why the promoters should pay more for Roczen or for Breece, they are both in the same race.

Anyone in the night show: 5k
Anyone in the main: 10k

Is it crazy to give 5k to a rider than can't make mains ? Well, locally the guy will be a star and the parents and the kids will look at the sport differently. They will start to think it is possible for their kids to maybe live while doing something they love instead of living like a homeless while risking everything. That is the solution to boost mx sales.

Or this sport is a professional sport. Or it isn't.
2/27/2020 12:04pm
If the gate filler quit showing up and the on track show suffered, then and only then will Feld change. They would then realize that they need to pay them more so they show up for the show.

But that will never happen. Because as soon as they quit showing up, there will be plenty of rich guys still show up to fill the empty spots left by the others. So it's a catch 22. The promoter always wins.
Question
2/27/2020 12:43pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2020 12:51pm
If the gate filler quit showing up and the on track show suffered, then and only then will Feld change. They would then realize that they...
If the gate filler quit showing up and the on track show suffered, then and only then will Feld change. They would then realize that they need to pay them more so they show up for the show.

But that will never happen. Because as soon as they quit showing up, there will be plenty of rich guys still show up to fill the empty spots left by the others. So it's a catch 22. The promoter always wins.
Of course. If you give all the power to someone, of course that person will abuse and maximise everything possible including the profits, hot chicks, and so on.

The problem is when that impacts everybody working in this industry and on the market.

And just to be clear, i am not against promoters (i.e in my mind DC is doing great with what he can), it is a key element in the chain and not an easy job either, their jobs is to make it more mainsteam, but based on the power of corporations like honda, suzuki, ktm, etc, they also must understand where they stand. In hard words, they are just marketing tools. Some understand, some don't i think. Anyway i am just trying to defend mx and the riders, it is not a witch hunt, that is just an opinion from what i feel so you can also take a grain of salt in what i am trying to say. Last but not least, the federations are also so passive that it is quite suspicious, but that could be another topic.
Natester551v
2/27/2020 12:56pm
Kyle978 wrote:
I’ve got to agree with this. I had to cut my racing short due to not being able to make ends meet. Being a hundredaire as...

I had to cut my racing short due to not being able to make ends meet. Being a hundredaire as a racer wasn’t worth the stress and shitty lifestyle I was living.

I actually worked in the Pecos/Carlsbad/Midland area in the oilfield for a couple years after racing and learned what hard work and sacrifice really is. 100-120 hours a week for 6 week stretches were the usual and the goal. That meant big checks were coming our way.

Some racers get the hint and get to work in the real world. Other continue to burn their parents or others money, suffer injuries and wonder why life is so hard for them.

I am shocked that there are people outraged he’s in this situation. Travel around the world or go to a bad neighborhood near you. You’ll see what real struggle and hardships are. Lots of people aren’t mentally or physically fit enough to even earn minimum wage. They would kill for a part time position.

Truth of the matter is there are much better guys who have left the sport because they weren’t making ends meet, or the pay was not worth the risk. Guys that would keep him from being in the main event or maybe even the night show.

Reality can be a tough pill to swallow. My late teens and early twenties were filled with days of me feeling sorry for myself or wanting help so I could live out my dreams.

Well said...
haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
2/27/2020 1:47pm
Just to be clear here. FELD do provide the riders who make the main and finish last with a $2000 purse, that's substantial when you consider what that rider actually adds to the show.

Just FYI Ryan Breece won the king of Stuttgart and Chemnitz this year, overall his payout just from the promoter for each of those weekends was roughly $5000 euro each give or take. That's before any bonuses or salary from the team. He also won the championship which you would assume came with some sort of bonus as well.

Not enough to retire on but a decent nest egg to put aside to part fund a season.
mb60
2/27/2020 1:59pm
BobPA wrote:
Maybe it is time to join the real world? If you do not like your job and/or you are not making enough money.....It is time for...
Maybe it is time to join the real world? If you do not like your job and/or you are not making enough money.....It is time for a change. Begging people on the internet to follow your "dream" will not do any good in the long run, and you are flushing peoples hard earned cash into the shitter. Privateers do not get enough exposure for a solid ROI, the sport does not attract enough eyeballs....pretty simple really.

Amazing the leeway people get because they are fast on a dirt bike. If I started a GoFundme for the Cadillac I have always wanted, you guys would rip me apart, and rightfully so. The guys qualifying for the night show are faster than I could ever dream. But, the fact remains that it is a very niche sport, and there is very little money to go around....especially for the guys who get 10 seconds of TV time while being lapped or in the LCQ. Donating $$$ to a rider begging on the internet is about as a good of an investment as the tropical townhouse I have got for sale in Pennsylvania.
So Breece being a top 20 rider in the premier class should find another job ?? Let's leave stick and ball sports out of it and take some of the lesser known sports and compare sometime ? Part of the problem for him seems to be that HEP is not paying him to ride. I'm sure he took the ride for support and expenses and now he is just spending what he is making.
Question
2/27/2020 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2020 2:41pm
Kyle978 wrote:
I’ve got to agree with this. I had to cut my racing short due to not being able to make ends meet. Being a hundredaire as...

Well said...
I was also always for the free market until i realized i was paid less than 1/1000 of what i was making.

I am not a socialist by any mean either. Just trying to show some balance and also that if you give all the "sales" power to 1 person, it makes 10 billion to 1 person and peanuts to the others.
haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
2/27/2020 2:15pm
Question wrote:
I was also always for the free market until i realized i was paid less than 1/1000 of what i was making. I am not a...
I was also always for the free market until i realized i was paid less than 1/1000 of what i was making.

I am not a socialist by any mean either. Just trying to show some balance and also that if you give all the "sales" power to 1 person, it makes 10 billion to 1 person and peanuts to the others.
I dont think you want to go down that road in Supercross though. If riders were paid in accordance with how much revenue they were bringing into the sport then the payout for the bottom 30 night show participants would drop to nearly nothing. The payout for Roczen and AC would probably quadruple though as whether you like it or not, those are the guys that are putting the bums in the seats so to speak.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
2/27/2020 2:44pm
If you’re not making enough to race, go get a job like the rest of us who can’t make enough money racing.
2/27/2020 2:57pm
Hcallz5 wrote:
Kyle978 wrote:

He's making 450 mains all the time. Did you?

Post a reply to: Ryan Breece Needs Money?

The Latest