Ryan Morais Retired

jasonv43
Edited Date/Time 7/21/2012 1:31pm
Taken from Racerhead #29:

"And Star-Valli Yamaha's Gareth Swanepoel suffered a broken leg. Everyone at Racer X Online wants to say get-well-soon to both NYK and Swanie."

"Speaking of Swanepoel, his injury opened a spot on the team, and they acted quickly in scooping up the superb rookie Cole Thompson, who finished eighth overall in the 450 Class at Spring Creek. The team also named Ryan Morais as their new manager, giving the veteran his first post-career gig, as it appears that Morais is done following his ugly crash back in January with Trey Canard at the LA Supercross."

Always cheered for him and wish him the best with his new gig.
|
Tbteam
7/20/2012 4:25pm
Damn shame. Good rider and person. Best of luck.
Drtbykr
7/20/2012 4:26pm
Glad he has an income, and can actually "walk" away after that crash.
sam111
7/20/2012 4:32pm
That comes as a bit of a surprise. He said on the pulpmx show a few months back that he planned to return to racing, because he didn't want his career to end like that.

He was a great rider and it is a shame he is calling it quits, but I can understand his decision. He is 29 now and has a family to think about. The team manager position is probably a good deal for him. I wish him the best.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
7/20/2012 4:53pm
sam111 wrote:
That comes as a bit of a surprise. He said on the pulpmx show a few months back that he planned to return to racing, because...
That comes as a bit of a surprise. He said on the pulpmx show a few months back that he planned to return to racing, because he didn't want his career to end like that.

He was a great rider and it is a shame he is calling it quits, but I can understand his decision. He is 29 now and has a family to think about. The team manager position is probably a good deal for him. I wish him the best.
Maybe as team manager, he'll appoint himself as a fill-in rider? Smile

He just showed up here at the track.

The Shop

Yamaha24
7/20/2012 8:36pm
I read recently on his twitter that he still has yet to be cleared by the doctor for his head injury he suffered in that wreck.
Trauma
7/20/2012 8:44pm
I saw the vid about Cole with Ryan in it, I didn't get retired from it, I got that he's getting active and back in the team atmosphere while still coming back. Don't call someone retired until they themselves do imo.
FroDiddy
7/20/2012 9:50pm
I still have that x-ray of his jaw saved in my phone. Good luck to him in the future. He'll be back.
jeffro503
7/20/2012 9:59pm
That was a scary wreck for sure......but it isn't a common type thing that happens. I think Ryan calling it quits now is a little premature. Dude is still young and strong enough to do well. When he's healthy.....he's smoking fast and could still make a descent living doing it. I think if he retired now.....he'll regret it a few years down the road.

Maybe it sounds selfish.....but I sure would like to see him back out there racing....as I've always dug his style.
Yamaha24
7/20/2012 11:33pm
jeffro503 wrote:
That was a scary wreck for sure......but it isn't a common type thing that happens. I think Ryan calling it quits now is a little premature...
That was a scary wreck for sure......but it isn't a common type thing that happens. I think Ryan calling it quits now is a little premature. Dude is still young and strong enough to do well. When he's healthy.....he's smoking fast and could still make a descent living doing it. I think if he retired now.....he'll regret it a few years down the road.

Maybe it sounds selfish.....but I sure would like to see him back out there racing....as I've always dug his style.
True...but I think after such a severe wreck while being a new father...you tend to prioritize things differently in your life. Also maybe th doctor doesn't think he can risk another head injury to that extent again?
JJO741
Fantasy
3035th
7/20/2012 11:37pm
Damn. I'm very happy he is staying in the industry. Mo is a hell of rider. He has been through a hell of a lot of injuries and that one in LA was the last straw. It's a shame he was never able to get that win.
7/20/2012 11:38pm
jeffro503 wrote:
That was a scary wreck for sure......but it isn't a common type thing that happens. I think Ryan calling it quits now is a little premature...

At this point in his career how many concussions do you think he has racked up? 10+? I don't think it would be premature at all if he were to call it quits - especially if he plans on being able to remember the name of his children by the time he is 50. The human brain can only take so much, being shut off in a very serious way like that does PERMANENT damage and has effects that will likely never disappear.
jeffro503
7/21/2012 7:28am
jeffro503 wrote:

TripleFive wrote:
At this point in his career how many concussions do you think he has racked up? 10+? I don't think it would be premature at all...
At this point in his career how many concussions do you think he has racked up? 10+? I don't think it would be premature at all if he were to call it quits - especially if he plans on being able to remember the name of his children by the time he is 50. The human brain can only take so much, being shut off in a very serious way like that does PERMANENT damage and has effects that will likely never disappear.
This is the first one I remember him having to be honest. I'm sure he may of gotten one or two before in the past.....but so have a lot of guys. BUT......I do see where you guys are coming from , AND I know this last one was a doozey! So I understand and support the guy no matter what he decides to to.
SlowMoFo
7/21/2012 7:44am
Man, I always wanted to see him win a championship on the 250's! Wish him the best.

Ryan "The Under Dog" Morais!
burnside
7/21/2012 7:53am
Good luck to him. On the plus side he's walked into a decent job in the industry he loves.... theres worse jobs than that out there!
Hanaa80
7/21/2012 9:42am
From Racer X twitter:

"Racer X ‏@racerxonline

We spoke to acting Star Yamaha manager Ryan Morais & he's def not retired, just trying this stuff out until he's ready to ride.. "
DownSouth
7/21/2012 10:25am
burnside wrote:
Good luck to him. On the plus side he's walked into a decent job in the industry he loves.... theres worse jobs than that out there!
I am not sure how much stability there is in the team manager position with that team. From the sound of it it was almost "since we are still paying Ryan we will let him be the manager" and then they let the other guy go.
jasonv43
7/21/2012 12:07pm
Hanaa80 wrote:
From Racer X twitter: "Racer X ‏@racerxonline We spoke to acting Star Yamaha manager Ryan Morais & he's def not retired, just trying this stuff out...
From Racer X twitter:

"Racer X ‏@racerxonline

We spoke to acting Star Yamaha manager Ryan Morais & he's def not retired, just trying this stuff out until he's ready to ride.. "
Very cool. I support and understand his decision either way.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
7/21/2012 12:38pm
Yep...Ryan was surprised that was floating around, and made sure to let me know this morning that he hasn't called it quits. He's filling in as team manager through the end of the year. He'll reassess after that.
stillwelding
7/21/2012 1:31pm
GuyB wrote:
Yep...Ryan was surprised that was floating around, and made sure to let me know this morning that he hasn't called it quits. He's filling in as...
Yep...Ryan was surprised that was floating around, and made sure to let me know this morning that he hasn't called it quits. He's filling in as team manager through the end of the year. He'll reassess after that.
Yeah, Ryan didn't retire, the Team Manager retired. Hope he finds another job.

Post a reply to: Ryan Morais Retired

The Latest