Ryno's Post about the Sport

motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
Edited Date/Time 11/13/2020 5:53am
In reaction to the gentleman who passed away at Glen Helen yesterday.

View this post on Instagram

In our sport ! #chargelife

A post shared by Ryan Hughes (@rynoglobal) on Nov 6, 2020 at 9:05am PST

|
deadking
Fantasy
657th
11/6/2020 11:31am
I'm not at all assuming I know the skill level of the rider that met their ultimate end, or how he went down, but Ryno's right on the constant learning to better your technique. My sincere condolences to the rider's family and friends. At the top of my game I almost met my end (4% chance of living) in '96. I relate on both sides of this one. Ugh what a brutal passion.
Sprew
11/6/2020 11:33am
Earth to Ryno..... Still a free country.

The Shop

diz330
11/6/2020 11:35am
Sorry I don't agree with his logic. If a 40 or 50 year old man wants to go spend 10 grand on a new bike and ride it how they want however slow or fast or skilled or not skilled then all the power to them. No different than strapping on a pair of skiis and pointing yourself down the hill. Go for it.
11/6/2020 11:37am
Wow. My feelings are that that was extremely selfish, insensitive and so far out of line that I can’t even find the words. We ride this sport because we love it. WE as humans make the choice to take the risk everytime we ride because WE love it. Accidents happen. I’m pretty sure he didnt know this dude from Adam and it’s unfair for him to make these accusations. He said himself that he didn’t see what happened. Anything can happen on the smallest of obstacles. That was bull shit. All I hope for the family right now is that they can pull together through this and hold their family members memories in the highest of regard. RIP. Prayers and thoughts go out.
HondaFan33
11/6/2020 11:40am
So it’s the guys fault for not being good enough got it ryno.
TeamGreen
11/6/2020 11:45am
Watched the entire 1st one.
Watched the entire 2nd one.

I totally get it. You see a dead person on the track & you just can't figure out why he's laying there...why he crashed 'there'...especially Ryan...he knows how, why this stuff happens...

And he IS PISSED. He's hurt...he's hurting.

If you know Ryan AT ALL...you know it's true...the dude cares. He absolutely loves this stuff.

Passion....it's said in almost every minute of both of those videos.
And that word explains it all.
PTshox
11/6/2020 11:45am
Harsh delivery but he's not wrong. Most people don't study their craft. Whether it be what they do for a living or their hobbies. And certainly the sport is dangerous... speeds are enough to hurt you bad.

I think Ryno's hurt a bit by seeing accidents and he wants to wake people up a bit. Sometimes you have to deliver that message harshly. And that's part of his style.
11/6/2020 11:50am
Everyone pushes through pain in a different way and I get that. From his perspective he has his feelings that are valid to him. It’s not something to take lightly and it’s not all about the glamour or being cool/looking the best/or having the newest baddest ass stuff but there is a time and place. I view that video as a member of that guys family and I feel hurt by it. Snowflake? Sure, whatever, but it’s not right right now.
diz330
11/6/2020 11:52am
when is the last time Ryno took a riding school himself? What makes him an expert in 2020? has he updated his skills in the last 20 years or still living in his hayday in the 90's.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/6/2020 11:59am
Look, I agree with a lot of what Ryno was saying/trying to say and I think we will can you an extent. What I don’t like and agree with is that he’s basically telling us that if we aren’t taking classes or getting some sort of coaching, we shouldn’t be doing it.

This sport is already expensive enough as it is. If he expects everyone to throw out even more money than we all already do, he’s high! Is coaching/training a bad thing? Absolutely not! A good majority of us don’t have the time or money to add more stuff to our plates just to ride once a month if we are lucky.
AH387
11/6/2020 12:00pm
Was just talking with a friend about Ryno's posts. I feel like there is a lot of assumption on his part and I can't say that I agree with him on that. He didn't see the crash, he may or may not know that man's history, but supposedly he was a pretty decent rider. Accidents happen. Not everything can be avoided, especially in a sport like MX. Not every rider that has a tragic accident is under-skilled or under-coached. So I think he's off base here. Also, it's a bad look to be saying these things into your phone, not focused on the road you are driving, no?

But I get where he is coming from. I love Ryno's posts and many of them have been very inspiring for me. I know he's passionate and I'm sure he feels like people as a whole are not committed to their skill. And people's priorities are probably not where they should be. He's right on all of that. But I get his message and the premise of what he is saying. But coaching is doesn't automatically equal safety or prevention of these things. And it's not fair to assume that. But I think Ryno's heart is in the right place and he wants people to wake up and learn from it. It just sucks to hear about things like that.
Brent
11/6/2020 12:01pm
I have my differences of option on some of Ryno's views, but the point he was trying to make here is valid.

Motocross is the hardest sport on earth, and the penalty for even one second of failure or lack of focus can be ultimate.

Training, technique, and riding within your ability is SO important now with bigger track obstacles and high performance machines available to everyone.

I think of when I first starting racing back in 1976, the bikes and the tracks were so mellow as compared to the factory level bikes we have now, and there were no jumps as large as they are today, even on beginner or "Vet" tracks.

Think of it, if you ride a 2021 production bike today, it is more advanced than a full factory machine from even 24 months ago. If you are a beginner or novice rider, that is like being given an F-1 race car the day you get your drivers license.

Riding these bikes now on today's tracks takes a level of fitness and discipline that wasn't as necessary in past decades.

Godspeed to the rider who lost his life doing what he loved, and prayers for his family.
Camp332
11/6/2020 12:03pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2020 8:30pm
diz330 wrote:
when is the last time Ryno took a riding school himself? What makes him an expert in 2020? has he updated his skills in the last...
when is the last time Ryno took a riding school himself? What makes him an expert in 2020? has he updated his skills in the last 20 years or still living in his hayday in the 90's.
I would say he is constantly learning to this day by watching the talented young guys. He has a good way of speaking to what he learns in his lessons also.

As for the video, it was harsh, but not wrong in my opinion.

RIP, and been thinking of Chris Ow a lot today. This sport is the best and worst at times.
Brent
11/6/2020 12:05pm
diz330 wrote:
when is the last time Ryno took a riding school himself? What makes him an expert in 2020? has he updated his skills in the last...
I can try to answer that.

I watch him ride every Monday or Tuesday, mostly from behind as he passes me -

His technique for jumping and cornering is on par with current professional riders, and while his speed is a little down as compared to the younger guys, he is the fastest 45 year old that I know of at any level.

I'm not friends with him or anything, just stating what I observe from on the track.
JTM5427
11/6/2020 12:06pm
I agree that everyone should take periodic riding lessons with a coach or a faster more experienced rider, but this message was far too harsh. If Ryno feels so strongly about this I challenge him to host a few coaching days at tracks nearby to him to give a refresher on technique, safety and form for any rider that wishes to attend (with a set limit of course).
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
11/6/2020 12:06pm
Chris Ow. His name was Chris Ow. We are this far into this thread and his name hasn't been mentioned yet. I did not know the man but by what I have seen he was a long time, experienced rider. Not cool to insinuate he did not take his craft seriously. Shit happens. David Bailey got hurt.

We all know Ryno is passionate and he is coming from a place of honest love and care for his sport. Our sport.

But, time and place, man. Before you launch a missile, check your trajectory. Because once you light that fuse...

Xeno
11/6/2020 12:11pm
Recording that rant about safety while driving on public roads? What a hypocrite!
11/6/2020 12:11pm
FGR01 wrote:
Chris Ow. His name was Chris Ow. We are this far into this thread and his name hasn't been mentioned yet. I did not know the...
Chris Ow. His name was Chris Ow. We are this far into this thread and his name hasn't been mentioned yet. I did not know the man but by what I have seen he was a long time, experienced rider. Not cool to insinuate he did not take his craft seriously. Shit happens. David Bailey got hurt.

We all know Ryno is passionate and he is coming from a place of honest love and care for his sport. Our sport.

But, time and place, man. Before you launch a missile, check your trajectory. Because once you light that fuse...

Agreed on the shit happens. People drive cars every single day, that is a lot of practice and experience, but we still die doing it all the time.
Camp332
11/6/2020 12:12pm
FGR01 wrote:
Chris Ow. His name was Chris Ow. We are this far into this thread and his name hasn't been mentioned yet. I did not know the...

Thanks, Mike. edited my post to show Chris Ow's name.
agn5009
11/6/2020 12:19pm
He had a lot of emotions running through him. Everyone reacts to a tragedy differently. I can tell you all that seeing a person dead from an accident is not an easy thing. Now add in that the death came during the one thing he’s so passionate about. It’s easy to understand why he’s showing such strong emotion.

Be kind and respect each other. You never know what the person standing next to you is going through.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
11/6/2020 12:23pm
It is possible to be passionate about something, and at the same time be tactful and respectful. Passion is not a license to be an asshole. He's making a lot off assumptions about the deceased and the "community" in general. "Fuck you" right back at you.

RIP Chris Ow
Goofy Foot
11/6/2020 12:23pm
How much does Ryno charge for a coaching session? Is it hourly? Day rate?
agn5009
11/6/2020 12:31pm
GrapeApe wrote:
It is possible to be passionate about something, and at the same time be tactful and respectful. Passion is not a license to be an asshole...
It is possible to be passionate about something, and at the same time be tactful and respectful. Passion is not a license to be an asshole. He's making a lot off assumptions about the deceased and the "community" in general. "Fuck you" right back at you.

RIP Chris Ow
You’re right. But emotions are a crazy thing. I’m not saying I agree with most of what he said or how he said it. But I understand.
Sierra Ranger
11/6/2020 12:34pm
Every time there is a death there should be a deep investigation and efforts made to learn and prevent similar events. You can never make this sport totally safe, but there is definitely a "status quo" attitude about safety. Look at NASCAR after Earnhardt died- major changes. In moto we tend to just keep doing the same thing.
ElliotB16
11/6/2020 12:53pm
I know he means well but imagine being the guys family and Ryno saying he wasn’t skilled or sucked on a bike causing his death.

Plus didn’t Ryno break his femur about a year ago? Maybe he shouldn’t be riding either
ti473
11/6/2020 1:06pm
If he's using the front facing camera, which most people would when filming themselves, he is in the passenger seat.

With that said, I don't agree that lack of technique is necessarily the reason for crashing. The pros, even the ones with the most flawless technique, crash. I would say pushing your limit is what causes you to crash. If my friend Billy Bob who's never ridden a bike, gets on one and tries his balls off he a way higher chance of crashing then me going the same speed while cruising around. Same as me trying as hard as I can, and Eli Tomac going faster while going sight lap speed.
DoctorJD
11/6/2020 1:20pm
Things happen quick in this sport, no matter how many hours you spend training and honing your skills. One little kicker on a jump face, one little hole in the track. Just look at what happened to CR22 at Milleville. Dude was railing one minute, and a human cannonball the next. All due to one square-edge on the track that he'd probably run over a dozen times before without incident.

Can you be safer on the bike by learning better technique? Abso-damn-lutely. But to assert that you're accident-proof by doing so just isn't true.

Post a reply to: Ryno's Post about the Sport

The Latest