SX/MX Jump Descriptions

midwestmoto
9/7/2018 11:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2018 9:17am
I was bored at work today and thought this would be a fun topic to discuss.

I've heard people use various terms when describing different jump combinations on a MX/SX track and I also see the argument come up a lot about if a single-table-single is considered a quad or triple. So I thought it would be fun to see how everyone describes different jump combinations to see if we are all on the same page, a few pages apart or in an entirely different chapter from each other.

The picture and jump descriptions below are commonly used in my inner circle and some of them I'm sure are pretty universal.

For #12 and #13 - I think you can consider a single-table-single a quad in certain situations although that could be confusing to some. I would call it a quad if it's a stretch to get over and the spacing is larger than a regular triple jump but if riders are able to jump it with ease, I would probably consider it a triple.

And joking about #25 of course!

|
ga_pike
9/8/2018 4:03am
you don't have no camelbacks, drop offs,pit jumps, water crossings, whistlin' bungholes, no spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser?
Flip109
9/8/2018 4:42am
ga_pike wrote:
you don't have no camelbacks, drop offs,pit jumps, water crossings, whistlin' bungholes, no spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy...
you don't have no camelbacks, drop offs,pit jumps, water crossings, whistlin' bungholes, no spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser?
You sound like a fun person to drink beer with LaughingLaughing

The Shop

KMC440
9/8/2018 4:55am
I need your job...
yz133rider
9/8/2018 6:40am
ga_pike wrote:
you don't have no camelbacks, drop offs,pit jumps, water crossings, whistlin' bungholes, no spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy...
Lmao!!
Moto96
9/8/2018 10:12am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2018 10:18am
12 and 13 are wrong. That is a triple over a tabletop for either.
A tabletop is one jump.
For 13, Even if you jumped on and jumped off, at best it is two small doubles.
For 12 if you jumped on, it would be a triple single.

25. is a classic.
drt410
9/8/2018 10:25am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2018 10:47am
A table top is just a double with the dirt filled in between the takeoff and landing. You wouldnt call it a single, a single you either roll like a wall jump or jump to flat, a double you jump from a takeoff and land on a landing so that establishes that its a double. Also since you can single a tabletop, by landing on top and not the downside, landing on the downside is doubling. You cant single it by both barely jumping it and going 5 feet landing on top to flat and then also by clearing the whole 100ft jump and landing on the downside, they both cant be singling it... that makes 0 sense. Nobody says doubling it tho, you just cleared/jumped the table top. When the doubling terminology comes into play is when its part of a rythm with one or more jumps making it a triple or quad.

So jumping from a single over a tabletop and landing on the downside is a triple and jumping from a single over a tabletop and landing on another single is a quad. Jumping from a single over a tabletop is a triple because you can single it by jumping the first single, double it by jumping to flat on top of the table top, and triple it by jumping the whole thing and landing on the downside. So 3 things to jump= triple. People call it a step on step off though because you can double to the flat and double off again to clear the next single so it has another name also. Doesnt make it not double doubling. Thats why all the announcers and all the riders call it a triple or a quad... because it is. Doesnt matter what a dude on vital says if RV, Stew, RD, RC call it a quad its a quad. End of story..
aroark247
9/8/2018 11:29am
No.5 is a quintuple or a quint, not to be confused with cunt (which some people find offensive) (Not me but some)
9/8/2018 1:03pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2018 1:05pm
Moto96 wrote:
12 and 13 are wrong. That is a triple over a tabletop for either. A tabletop is one jump. For 13, Even if you jumped on...
A tabletop is one jump.

25. is a classic.
I tend to think the table tops, in the scenario shown in 12 and 13, should be considered doubles. My reasoning for this is if you took out the middle of the table and just left the take off and the landing it would be considered a double, albeit small, still a double.

Either way it really doesn't matter, if a guy right now jumps a quintuple but it isn't bigger than the quads Stew used to hit it means nothing in my opinion. Size is really all that matters ?
Moto96
9/8/2018 1:09pm
Moto96 wrote:
12 and 13 are wrong. That is a triple over a tabletop for either. A tabletop is one jump. For 13, Even if you jumped on...
A tabletop is one jump.

25. is a classic.
I tend to think the table tops, in the scenario shown in 12 and 13, should be considered doubles. My reasoning for this is if you...
I tend to think the table tops, in the scenario shown in 12 and 13, should be considered doubles. My reasoning for this is if you took out the middle of the table and just left the take off and the landing it would be considered a double, albeit small, still a double.

Either way it really doesn't matter, if a guy right now jumps a quintuple but it isn't bigger than the quads Stew used to hit it means nothing in my opinion. Size is really all that matters ?
With a tabletop, There isn't two takeoffs, which would mean 2 jumps.
1+1=2.

If you overjump a table to flat, it's just one jump with one takeoff. If they wanted it to be a double, they would have taken out the center.
Moto96
9/8/2018 1:25pm
drt410 wrote:
A table top is just a double with the dirt filled in between the takeoff and landing. You wouldnt call it a single, a single you...
A table top is just a double with the dirt filled in between the takeoff and landing. You wouldnt call it a single, a single you either roll like a wall jump or jump to flat, a double you jump from a takeoff and land on a landing so that establishes that its a double. Also since you can single a tabletop, by landing on top and not the downside, landing on the downside is doubling. You cant single it by both barely jumping it and going 5 feet landing on top to flat and then also by clearing the whole 100ft jump and landing on the downside, they both cant be singling it... that makes 0 sense. Nobody says doubling it tho, you just cleared/jumped the table top. When the doubling terminology comes into play is when its part of a rythm with one or more jumps making it a triple or quad.

So jumping from a single over a tabletop and landing on the downside is a triple and jumping from a single over a tabletop and landing on another single is a quad. Jumping from a single over a tabletop is a triple because you can single it by jumping the first single, double it by jumping to flat on top of the table top, and triple it by jumping the whole thing and landing on the downside. So 3 things to jump= triple. People call it a step on step off though because you can double to the flat and double off again to clear the next single so it has another name also. Doesnt make it not double doubling. Thats why all the announcers and all the riders call it a triple or a quad... because it is. Doesnt matter what a dude on vital says if RV, Stew, RD, RC call it a quad its a quad. End of story..
There is a video of Stew at his house casing a 4th jump. 4 singles equals a quad.

A single, Tabletop, to single, is tripling over a tabletop (3 takeoffs equals 3 jumps)

Or, without the tabletop in the Middle, it's just one giant double. That would be two take offs. Or to clarify, 3 jumps minus the tabletop leaves 2 jumps, which makes it a big double or 2 singles.

Telling someone you cleared the big double, and it's a tabletop isn't hitting a double. Sorry.

To further this, 2 tabletops in a row is not a quad. There are 2 takeoffs. "He doubled over both tabletops". There isn't 4 of anything with 2 tabletops.

ktmdan
9/8/2018 1:26pm
drt410 wrote:
A table top is just a double with the dirt filled in between the takeoff and landing. You wouldnt call it a single, a single you...

Couldn't a table top be a triple with the dirt filled in? Or a quint with the dirt filled in? or a sept with the dirt filled in.???? Jk, reminds me of teaching kids fractions for the first time or the word infinitesimal.
bradmx421
9/8/2018 1:36pm
Step on....but no step off?
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
9/8/2018 2:49pm
Yes I agree with descriptions. Adding sometimes I love to hear be careful tripling the table to single or single to table today. It's what I call them too but just meant I may be the only one jumping it that day. Ha
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
9/8/2018 3:09pm
That all makes sense. What I want to know is If they build another city in Quad Cities IL, will it be Quint Cities or Quad Cities + 1 ?
Moto96
9/8/2018 3:29pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2018 3:30pm
sumdood wrote:
That all makes sense. What I want to know is If they build another city in Quad Cities IL, will it be Quint Cities or Quad...
That all makes sense. What I want to know is If they build another city in Quad Cities IL, will it be Quint Cities or Quad Cities + 1 ?
This is why his moto math doesn't add up.
They don't have to build a 5th city.

The Quad Cities is a region of five cities in northwest Illinois and southeastern Iowa: Davenport and Bettendorf in Iowa, and Rock Island, Moline, and East Moline in Illinois
bama205
9/8/2018 7:37pm
Who the hell cares
EngIceDave
9/9/2018 4:55am
1. Single to table is impossible

2. No table-to-table
Marty1028
Fantasy
1394th
9/9/2018 9:11am
14 is always called a scrub hill in my book