Sand Tires

PRM31
Edited Date/Time 9/22/2019 4:15am
Has anyone tested the Dunlop MX12 or 11 against the Pirelli Scorpion? What I’ve read, anecdotally indicated the Pirelli is a better tire. Much better. To me, the Dunlop’s appear to be designed for more intermediate sand vice pure, deep sand. Is Team USA at a disadvantage with the Dunlop?

|
Motofinne
9/20/2019 7:32am Edited Date/Time 9/20/2019 7:33am
The MX11 and 12 were the sand tire kings. But everyone (that i have talked to) that has tried that new Pirelli says that it is a clear step above the Dunlop.

I haven't tried it yet since i still have 2 sets of MX12:s left but i will when i need new sand tires.
PRM31
9/20/2019 7:42am
I’m hoping Dunlop has some factory only, no compromise, deep sand tires for these guys. Do any MXGP guys run Dunlop’s in the deep sand?

Calling Broc Glover...
moto0852
9/20/2019 7:46am
I've used them both. Several races a year for me are pure sand. they're both heads and tails better than a traditional pattern but I do like the Pirelli better. And I'm a Dunlop guy.

The Shop

9/20/2019 11:33am
The mx12 is clearly better then the mx11 for laying over into a corner.
The biggest problem of the pirelli is durability. The scoops on the dunlop are way more solid so I use the dunlop. I'd rather have a tire that lasts a whole season instead of maybe a few percents more performance and having to change it every few months. The pirelli's are cheaper though. I just hate changing tires.
cable
9/21/2019 3:10pm
PRM31 wrote:
I’m hoping Dunlop has some factory only, no compromise, deep sand tires for these guys. Do any MXGP guys run Dunlop’s in the deep sand? Calling...
I’m hoping Dunlop has some factory only, no compromise, deep sand tires for these guys. Do any MXGP guys run Dunlop’s in the deep sand?

Calling Broc Glover...
no. even at red bud our guys were the top guys running dunlops.
OFalk280
9/21/2019 3:51pm
PRM31 wrote:
I’m hoping Dunlop has some factory only, no compromise, deep sand tires for these guys. Do any MXGP guys run Dunlop’s in the deep sand? Calling...

Calling Broc Glover...
cable wrote:
Glen Coldenhoff on his Standing Construct KTM, (along with Max Anstie which someone referenced above, same team) both run Dunlop’s. So if Team USA is at a disadvantage based on tires so is 1/3 of Team The Netherlands..
PRM31
9/21/2019 4:33pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2019 4:35pm
Good to know! Perhaps the tire Anstie ran at Lommel this year is new from Dunlop. It’s clearly not an MX11 or 12.

Sounds like a non-issue.
9/21/2019 4:55pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2019 4:55pm
Anyone run the new Hoosier sand tire?
9/21/2019 5:26pm
The pirelli is the way. Front and rear.

Also I don’t know if you guys know this but everyone runs the paddles in practice at the nationals short of washougal. Sand tires aren’t for just sand. Deep shit is best on a paddle. Starts are such a noticeable difference with the paddle.

There are a handful of black dirt tracks around here that I want to run the pirelli 410 in practice and moto 1 because it’s that huge of a difference.
cable
9/21/2019 6:24pm
PRM31 wrote:

Calling Broc Glover...
cable wrote:
OFalk280 wrote:
Glen Coldenhoff on his Standing Construct KTM, (along with Max Anstie which someone referenced above, same team) both run Dunlop’s. So if Team USA is at...
Glen Coldenhoff on his Standing Construct KTM, (along with Max Anstie which someone referenced above, same team) both run Dunlop’s. So if Team USA is at a disadvantage based on tires so is 1/3 of Team The Netherlands..
when he smoked everyone last year glenn was on pirellis.
OFalk280
9/21/2019 10:10pm
cable wrote:
OFalk280 wrote:
Glen Coldenhoff on his Standing Construct KTM, (along with Max Anstie which someone referenced above, same team) both run Dunlop’s. So if Team USA is at...
cable wrote:
when he smoked everyone last year glenn was on pirellis.
And he was also on Factory Red Bull KTM at the time which is why I mention he’s racing for Standing Construct KTM this year. He’s won two overalls for GPs and placed third in points this season and as far as I know (I could most definitely be wrong though as I don’t know barely anything about the GPs) the Standing Construct KTM Team is the only bigger established team running Dunlop’s simply because Pirelli has a bigger presence overseas
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
9/22/2019 4:15am
Not sure about Europe but the factory guys in the states run "factory spec" tyres which are purely performance based and are waaay better than what we are able to buy.

Our prefered choice is Dunlop.
cable
9/22/2019 6:58pm
paging KEEFER TESTING.

Post a reply to: Sand Tires

The Latest