Seat bounce

davis224
Fantasy
138th
Edited Date/Time 6/20/2020 7:42pm
Since it was briefly discussed in the 250 main, dare we delve back into one of the greatest motodrive threads ever?

No, your shock does not "bounce" you higher. Discuss.
|
Jamal#440
6/11/2020 2:50pm
Well if it doesnt bounce you higher then lets say "pounce" you higher.
abn166
6/11/2020 2:55pm
I can't believe someone like Ricky still believes seat bouncing causes the shock to work like a pogo (his words) and send the bike and rider higher and farther. The dampening in the shock would not allow for that. Here is a photo from RacerX of Tomac seat bouning a jump. The rear of his bike appears to be more compressed because of seat bouncing. TFS where are you?

The Shop

KurtJ99
Fantasy
682nd
6/11/2020 2:59pm
Uh, yeah. You'd know it bounces you higher if you ever did it. Also - traction because you are sitting down and under hard acceleration.

At my age I hate to do it because it is sketchy if you don't do it right. But it is fun to launch on a short runup to a jump.
6/11/2020 3:09pm
Why and how did Eli get his foot under the foot peg in that photo? It must be incredible timing to do that, a little too soon and I would think it would jam your foot into the dirt
6/11/2020 3:13pm
abn166 wrote:
I can't believe someone like Ricky still believes seat bouncing causes the shock to work like a pogo (his words) and send the bike and rider...
I can't believe someone like Ricky still believes seat bouncing causes the shock to work like a pogo (his words) and send the bike and rider higher and farther. The dampening in the shock would not allow for that. Here is a photo from RacerX of Tomac seat bouning a jump. The rear of his bike appears to be more compressed because of seat bouncing. TFS where are you?
I’m sorry but what exactly do you think happens when you compress a shock spring, it just stays down?

I’ll let the other Vitards with engineering certifications confirm with me, but to my knowledge it goes back up.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
6/11/2020 3:24pm
And we're off!

How can the shock pogo you up when it has damping? Why don't you bounce when you land from a jump? How does it spring you higher when it doesn't even extend until after you've left the ramp?

You're changing your trajectory. Not literally bouncing.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
6/11/2020 3:27pm
abn166 wrote:
I can't believe someone like Ricky still believes seat bouncing causes the shock to work like a pogo (his words) and send the bike and rider...
I’m sorry but what exactly do you think happens when you compress a shock spring, it just stays down? I’ll let the other Vitards with engineering...
I’m sorry but what exactly do you think happens when you compress a shock spring, it just stays down?

I’ll let the other Vitards with engineering certifications confirm with me, but to my knowledge it goes back up.
Tie your bike down in the back of your truck and compress the shock all the way down, then cut the strap. Does it leap? No, it has rebound damping.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/11/2020 3:27pm
Long after I saw that thread I realized why the seat bounce works. I don't think anybody mentioned it, but it is this: "Timing."

TFS's contention was that the spring can only return the same amount of force back to the bike; enough to return the seat to its original position. No more, no less.
Seat bouncers believe that by sitting, you put more force into the shock spring, which then returns more force.

Actually, the answer lies between the inertia of the subframe assembly and the rider's inertia, relative to the footpegs as a moment in time. If the rider sits, and then allows the spring to push his body along with the subframe, it changes the interplay between the bike and rider. The spring can only push the subframe back to its original position, true, but it cannot stop the rider's momentum once it gets there. The rider will continue to move upward and bring the bike with him (assuming he holds on). While standing tends to isolate the bike from the rider and thus dampen the rebound force, sitting pairs them, thus maximizing the rebound force.

One argument the non-bouncers forwarded was that "if seat bouncing works, why don't the bikes bounce off the ground when they land?" Look no further than the tabletop-to-tabletop hop that was popular several seasons ago for the answer: they do, when the rider times the landing accordingly.

Seat bouncing is not about more force in the spring; it is about timing the interplay between the rider's own momentum and the bike's.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
6/11/2020 3:28pm
abn166 wrote:
It’s been talked about here a few times. I’ve seen it in person at Washougal. He does it to scrub sometimes to lift the bike up. Also when seat bouncing I’ve seen it, maybe to save him from going over the bars or to lift the rear end up and leveling the bike?

My friend asked him in the bits and he was pretty chill about it. I think it comes natural without thinking about it for him.
SoCalMX70
6/11/2020 3:28pm
It's just changing the angle of the bike (the trajectory) at take off. Makes it "steeper". That's it.

There is no bounce/spring upward effect.

Thank you TFS.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
6/11/2020 3:29pm
The Nick Wey riding coach thread made me think of this again. Just because some fast riders think they can temporarily turn their shock into a pogo stick doesn't make it so. The fast riders who understand it turn into riding coaches and test riders.
FerCzD
6/11/2020 3:30pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2020 3:38pm
Why and how did Eli get his foot under the foot peg in that photo? It must be incredible timing to do that, a little too...
Why and how did Eli get his foot under the foot peg in that photo? It must be incredible timing to do that, a little too soon and I would think it would jam your foot into the dirt
Once I saw a video, don't remember who it was maybe from Nicoletti or Catanzaro. He said he hooked his foot under the footpeg while seatbouncing and in the air it helps the bike going little further, something do do with your body being ejected and taking this updward reaction from you and transferring it to the bike.

EDIT:

It was Jimmy Albertson, but he hooks his foot under the shiftlever not the peg. Maybe the same principle applies. Who knows

https://youtu.be/NH3LH4FkIVw
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
6/11/2020 3:40pm
I always ride with my feet under the pegs
EngIceDave
6/11/2020 3:45pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
It's just changing the angle of the bike (the trajectory) at take off. Makes it "steeper". That's it. There is no bounce/spring upward effect. Thank you...
It's just changing the angle of the bike (the trajectory) at take off. Makes it "steeper". That's it.

Thank you TFS.
WINNER
abn166
6/11/2020 3:52pm
I’m sorry but what exactly do you think happens when you compress a shock spring, it just stays down? I’ll let the other Vitards with engineering...

Shocks do rebound of course. But look at the photo. Eli's shock will not rebound until the tire has left the ground. So it will be impossible for the shock to act like a pogo and push the bike and/or farther. As others have said above, it's about changing the bike's trajectory.
FahQ
6/11/2020 4:05pm
I’ll play
The tire has no rebound damping,
And also if you get down into the bump stop that will over power the rebound of the shock.
Unfortunately I have the video to show it
TeamGreen
6/11/2020 4:25pm
So...no-one-else ever hooks their foot under the peg/brake-pedal during a quick-hi-energy launch?
slipdog
6/11/2020 4:26pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
It's just changing the angle of the bike (the trajectory) at take off. Makes it "steeper". That's it. There is no bounce/spring upward effect. Thank you...

Thank you TFS.
EngIceDave wrote:
WINNER
Agreed
Johnny Depp
6/11/2020 5:06pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:

Thank you TFS.
EngIceDave wrote:
WINNER
All that would do is give you boner air. The angle of the jump face doesn't change.

If a shock with rebound has no effect, tell me why it doesn't stay in the fully collapsed position? Of course it extends, just not 'immediately" just like a door closer.

https://motocrossactionmag.com/amp/seen-new-mxa-jam-packed-full-motocro…

WhipMeister
Fantasy
4434th
6/11/2020 5:11pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2020 5:13pm
This gonna be good. Where's Cox?

Here's some chum. How does a low-rider get off the ground?
plowboy
6/11/2020 5:21pm
I don't know how it works but it works. How does Santa deliver all those presents, the Easter Bunny hide those eggs, the tooth fairy get it done, how does a plane fly...magic of course. Don't question it...just believe.
SoCalMX70
6/11/2020 5:22pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:

Thank you TFS.
EngIceDave wrote:
WINNER
All that would do is give you boner air. The angle of the jump face doesn't change. If a shock with rebound has no effect, tell...
All that would do is give you boner air. The angle of the jump face doesn't change.

If a shock with rebound has no effect, tell me why it doesn't stay in the fully collapsed position? Of course it extends, just not 'immediately" just like a door closer.

https://motocrossactionmag.com/amp/seen-new-mxa-jam-packed-full-motocro…

The face the of the jump does effectively change if the sprung parts of the bike (everything above the wheels) is at a different angle.

Let's talk the pre-scrub days... How did Jeremy McGrath master the art of staying lower on jumps? By compressing the forks more (pushing into them more off the face of jumps). Lower angle, lower trajectory.
Johnny Depp
6/11/2020 7:31pm
"The face the of the jump does effectively change if the sprung parts of the bike (everything above the wheels) is at a different angle."

Anyone ever try seat bouncing one of these hardtails? Woohoo

TeamGreen
6/11/2020 7:41pm
"The face the of the jump does effectively change if the sprung parts of the bike (everything above the wheels) is at a different angle." Anyone...
"The face the of the jump does effectively change if the sprung parts of the bike (everything above the wheels) is at a different angle."

Anyone ever try seat bouncing one of these hardtails? Woohoo

The item in that picture that’s worthy of a good “seat bounce” ain’t the Capt. America chopper!
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
6/11/2020 7:55pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2020 7:57pm
Force...potential energy. There is more at play than the rear shock. Shove the bike into the face of the jump so the suspension collapses, the frame and chassis parts flex extra hard...That causes a reaction that will absolutely boot you up on a higher trajectory.

How do people think you can pump a bicycle when it has no shocks and no motor, yet you can pick up speed without pedaling?
SoCalMX70
6/11/2020 8:01pm
"How do people think you can pump a bicycle when it has no shocks and no motor, yet you can pick up speed without pedaling?"

With the momentum generated by the rider's body movements in conjunction with the rollers on the pump track. How do you swing on a swing?

Different concepts I'd say, but I'm loving the debate.

Post a reply to: Seat bounce

The Latest