Seven to Alta! (bike photo by Alta)

6/2/2017 2:07pm
I'm old school as well, to the point where my kids know and understand more than I do at this point. However each and every time I use some sort of new technology I end up going in with my negative attitude only to come out with a "it's not that great" attitude but then days later I'm thinking shit, that was a pretty cool how it did this and that, then I start doing my research on pricing and figuring out the best way to buy one.

This bike is the same way! I want one~ I'm not gonna fight it! When I see josh Hill posting the late night ride videos it only makes me want one more
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
6/2/2017 2:11pm
I admit it. I'm not ready for this. I don't like it, and I don't want it. Of course, I've never seen a 40 bike gate...
I admit it. I'm not ready for this. I don't like it, and I don't want it.

Of course, I've never seen a 40 bike gate full of these things doing a 30 minute moto. Maybe once I see that it will grow on me, but I just...I don't like it. I'm old school too like nascarnate said above. I want to hear the bikes and smell the fumes.

However, I'm just new-school enough to say that it could, possibly, maybe - grow on me. I don't count on it though.
I'm with ya, I love my 2 stroke and the vintage races are my favorite to go to. And I'm only 24 lol

Having said that, electric bikes might just save the sport. I'll take electric bikes if it means my kids can go to an outdoor national with 40 riders on the gate. Even if there isn't the smell of race gas in the air Sad
drt410
6/2/2017 2:21pm
TbonesPop wrote:
Getting the weight down on these electric bikes will be far easier than a traditional ICE bike, because quite simply battery technology is evolving at an...
Getting the weight down on these electric bikes will be far easier than a traditional ICE bike, because quite simply battery technology is evolving at an extremely fast rate. Smaller, lighter, longer lasting, and faster charging batteries are coming out every year. Shaving weight should be very simple. I would also think that there is an alternative simple solution to shaving weight. Using Hydrogen as a fuel source to recharge the battery, and using a smaller battery. Refilling the hydrogen would be the equivalent of refueling from a propane tank - speed, ease of use, etc. The hydrogen combines with oxygen via a special membrane to create water - reverse hydrolysis, thus energy is created in the process. The process charges the battery, thus a smaller lighter battery could be used. The membrane would be relatively small and simple to maintain. And the best part is, the bike produces small drops of water, so the bikes could water the track as they are ridden to keep dust under controlWoohoo

anyway, back on point - shaving weight isn't going to be difficult IMO. I could see these bikes having equal or greater torque along with lighter weight in less than 3 years compared to current MX bikes. This stuff is evolving a lot faster than anyone could ever imagine.

Real question is - which major mfr steps up first and buys Alta?
It has 125 ft lbs of torque at 0 RPM.
Gravel
6/2/2017 4:59pm
Guys, don't forget that this is the very first modern electric bike. Think Yamaha TT500 vs 78 YZ400 as an example of bikes at very different development maturity levels. If the very first electric bike is even sorta competitive, with the development resources being expended on electrics right now, in 5-8 years electric bikes will stomp our current scooters the way today's bikes stomp air cooled two strokes. Moto isn't even a tiny bit player in this development, we just get to enjoy the benefits of other industries work.

Electric bikes will be the norm in 10 years.

The Shop

6/2/2017 5:27pm
Alta really needs to sit down in a chair and look at that design, come up with the next look. They need to see the value...
Alta really needs to sit down in a chair and look at that design, come up with the next look. They need to see the value of a product that looks like the future, not something that looks old. From the middle of that seat forward it looks like the last ktm 125 I road in my career, it looks like an 05 white ktm 125. It looks old and heavy. That front fender and really just the whole bike doesn't say future it says ww2.
My immediate thoughts were of an older KTM a bit like this. Maybe it was an older factory bike I'm thinking of but I remember some old great huliking industrial looking engine

Only constructive critism here. I'm a fan of the concept. And the brushless type too.
6/2/2017 5:30pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2017 5:32pm

After I determined the model number of Hitachi’s new brushless drill (DS18DBL?), a little digging reveals that it features up to 50% more runtime, increased power and extended durability with essentially no maintenance. The motor delivers a maximum 593 in-lbs of torque and up to 1800 RPM. A 4-way electric speed toggle and 2-way speed switch provides for up to 8 different speed/power calibrations.
Rockinar
6/2/2017 5:34pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2017 6:14pm
Whos going to be the first rider to get their balls burned off by the Lithium Ion battery when it explodes?

My opinion, in 10 years the Big 4 (bike makers, not Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth) will each have an electric bike.. I'm curious to know who's going to be the Doug Henry of the e-bike? Someone has to eventually do it. We will also see it tested in SX before MX.

I would not buy one, but it would be cool to see them. I think they will be popular in local racing do to the lack of clutch or shifting. I think that's a nice advantage.
APLMAN99
6/2/2017 6:20pm
Alta really needs to sit down in a chair and look at that design, come up with the next look. They need to see the value...
Alta really needs to sit down in a chair and look at that design, come up with the next look. They need to see the value of a product that looks like the future, not something that looks old. From the middle of that seat forward it looks like the last ktm 125 I road in my career, it looks like an 05 white ktm 125. It looks old and heavy. That front fender and really just the whole bike doesn't say future it says ww2.
My immediate thoughts were of an older KTM a bit like this. Maybe it was an older factory bike I'm thinking of but I remember some...
My immediate thoughts were of an older KTM a bit like this. Maybe it was an older factory bike I'm thinking of but I remember some old great huliking industrial looking engine

Only constructive critism here. I'm a fan of the concept. And the brushless type too.
I had one of those 495s.......

And the pictures don't do justice to just how industrial they really looked!

They wouldn't have been horrible bikes if they would have had something other than a light switch for a throttle. Sort of like an electric bike, I guess, but without the flat torque curve.
loftyair
6/2/2017 6:39pm
Almost every single thing about a 4-stroke motor is worse in comparison to a 2-stroke. It is heavier, creates less power, more moving parts, more expensive, less reliable, higher center of gravity. The only thing better, is easier for common man, read; the beginner to control. Its easy power. But, they make it for the elite pro, faster. Then everyone buys it. Its really a piece of shat in comparison. The electric will do it all. Eventually.
cali11
6/2/2017 6:45pm
Like it or not Electric will replace 4 strokes within 7-10 years. I myself still love 2 strokes!
Rockinar
6/2/2017 6:56pm
Just like electric RC planes and electric RC helicopters, I think you will see a mix. Electric bikes are not going to replace good old fashion dinosaur juice propelled bikes.
bama205
6/2/2017 8:45pm
brewrabb wrote:
About 50 lbs too heavy, have no range and are waaaay to pricey. Yes electric is the future but it will be awhile (unless there is...
About 50 lbs too heavy, have no range and are waaaay to pricey. Yes electric is the future but it will be awhile (unless there is something out there lurking).
Consider this: most ametuer riders are overweight.

:-)
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
6/2/2017 9:01pm
Bro's, as soon as they have a dual sport version that will get me from my house in town to my place in the mountains (84 miles) I"ll buy it and a full MX version as well. And, like all of us I live and breath bikes that make noise, but damn, it's an ever shrinking world with a bunch of NIMBYS.

If you can eliminate the noise aspect (other than hoots and hollers) and dust, you drastically reduce the amount of firepower people have in court fighting you enjoying your rights as a property owner.

I can't wait to ride one.
Bultaco
6/3/2017 4:05am
I want one. Dirt bikes are about going riding and having fun. Bean oil smell is a bonus. Noise is not. If the Alta roosts out of a corner, sails over the jumps and sashays through the single track then it is worthy. I can ride one of those in my pasture without angering the whole neighborhood. That is a win for me.

But I'm not buying one (or new dirtbikes with engines) now. More $$$ that I want to spend. Kids in college, etc. I hope this market takes off and does well. I'd love to have a quiet, maintenance free dirt bike that plugs into the wall and is always ready to spin a few laps in the back yard. Like right now at 0700 in the morning. No noise and I can ride when I feel like it.
Fourth_Floor
6/3/2017 6:52am
Bultaco wrote:
I want one. Dirt bikes are about going riding and having fun. Bean oil smell is a bonus. Noise is not. If the Alta roosts out...
I want one. Dirt bikes are about going riding and having fun. Bean oil smell is a bonus. Noise is not. If the Alta roosts out of a corner, sails over the jumps and sashays through the single track then it is worthy. I can ride one of those in my pasture without angering the whole neighborhood. That is a win for me.

But I'm not buying one (or new dirtbikes with engines) now. More $$$ that I want to spend. Kids in college, etc. I hope this market takes off and does well. I'd love to have a quiet, maintenance free dirt bike that plugs into the wall and is always ready to spin a few laps in the back yard. Like right now at 0700 in the morning. No noise and I can ride when I feel like it.
What he said ^
6/3/2017 7:34am
[img]https://toolguyd.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Hitachi-Brushless-Drill-Driver.jpg[/img] After I determined the model number of Hitachi’s new brushless drill (DS18DBL?), a little digging reveals that it features up to 50% more runtime, increased...

After I determined the model number of Hitachi’s new brushless drill (DS18DBL?), a little digging reveals that it features up to 50% more runtime, increased power and extended durability with essentially no maintenance. The motor delivers a maximum 593 in-lbs of torque and up to 1800 RPM. A 4-way electric speed toggle and 2-way speed switch provides for up to 8 different speed/power calibrations.
Thanks ML. You took all of the relevent info out of this post and left a bunch of hubble. Guess that's normal with my revolutions
6/3/2017 7:35am
Bultaco wrote:
I want one. Dirt bikes are about going riding and having fun. Bean oil smell is a bonus. Noise is not. If the Alta roosts out...

This old bastard gets it

Post a reply to: Seven to Alta! (bike photo by Alta)

The Latest