Should AC92 been allowed to race?

EddieC
1/22/2018 1:36pm
Yet he passed all medical testing. Hindsight will not be kind when looking back at moments like these. And the cavalier way in which this stuff...
Yet he passed all medical testing.

Hindsight will not be kind when looking back at moments like these. And the cavalier way in which this stuff is dismissed will disqualify people from saying “we didnt know any better”. Race officials only care about protecting their liability.
BobbyM wrote:
You are contradicting yerself.
Tracktor wrote:
No, the first sentence is ironic. It points out that the testing in MX/SX doesn't seem to line up with the rest of the medical community...
No, the first sentence is ironic. It points out that the testing in MX/SX doesn't seem to line up with the rest of the medical community when it comes to concussions.

I'm not a doctor but have studied concussions more than most MX parents and we are the only people I know who take what is considered the proper time off to heal. Neither of my kids has ever lost consciousness but have had concussions (memory loss, nausea, dizziness, etc). I have read as much as I can find and spoken to multiple doctors and nothing I have learned matches what I see in the MX world.

Like I said I am not a doctor but I am curious as to why there is this difference in opinion on concussion protocol? Mainly due to the effect it has on younger riders who follow what they see pro's do and parents who push their kids to ride too soon.................
When you say studied, what is it exactly that you have studied?
What do you mean by nothing that you learned matches what you see in the MX world?

The guts of a concussion protocol are pretty much the same across the board, there will be slight differences based on type of sport, level of sport, and type of oversight i.e.. governing bodies, players unions.

There is currently NO concussion protocol in amateur MX racing. This is mostly due to the fact that there is no series or governing body for amateur racing.

I have tried with Dr. Augustine to promote a concussion program in amateur MX racing. With the exception of two promoters we where told to go pound sand. Promoters if not forced to spend money will not especially for something that will NOT make them MONEY.
Parents will claim how much they care for little johnny's safety but if you are going to pull little johnny out of a race for a concussion, all of a sudden the parents become MD's and claim we don't know what we are talking about and they know their child best and little johnny didn't have a concussion it was only a "minor ding".
EddieC
1/22/2018 1:42pm
hamncheeze wrote:
Honestly this situation reminds me a bit of Dallas 2013 when Zach Bell had that big get-off in his heat but continued racing through the night...
Honestly this situation reminds me a bit of Dallas 2013 when Zach Bell had that big get-off in his heat but continued racing through the night. Eddie C has already weighed in here to defend the medical crew, but I think most of us can see from the crash footage plus AC's own admission that he was dazed afterwards that he hit his head pretty hard and probably should have not been racing.
Because what you see from T.V. provides you a much better vantage point to make medical decisions?

Tell you what, let me have your phone number and the next time someone goes down I will call you from the track and you can give me a thumbs up or down for that rider.

jeffro503
1/22/2018 2:50pm
I gotta say Eddie , you came in here and cleaned house with these last few posts! Tracktor is a good dude and a parent and I know he means well. Jabroni.....well , he knows everything these is to know about this sport and the medical field. He can give a complete 100% medical diagnosis by watching it from his couch. He could also take a better part of the day and totally re-write the entire concussion protocol , because like I said , he knows everything. And we should all bow down to his superiority on these matters.
Tracktor
1/22/2018 3:11pm
EddieC wrote:
When you say studied, what is it exactly that you have studied? What do you mean by nothing that you learned matches what you see in...
What do you mean by nothing that you learned matches what you see in the MX world?

The guts of a concussion protocol are pretty much the same across the board, there will be slight differences based on type of sport, level of sport, and type of oversight i.e.. governing bodies, players unions.

There is currently NO concussion protocol in amateur MX racing. This is mostly due to the fact that there is no series or governing body for amateur racing.

I have tried with Dr. Augustine to promote a concussion program in amateur MX racing. With the exception of two promoters we where told to go pound sand. Promoters if not forced to spend money will not especially for something that will NOT make them MONEY.
Parents will claim how much they care for little johnny's safety but if you are going to pull little johnny out of a race for a concussion, all of a sudden the parents become MD's and claim we don't know what we are talking about and they know their child best and little johnny didn't have a concussion it was only a "minor ding".
It started years ago when my wife was involved in the governing of Pony Club and they started pushing Impact testing in the equestrian eventing world. Did some basic tarining on TBI's then read a number of studies (at work so don't have links in front of me) and articles, talked to as many docs as I have been able to & any other information I can gather on the subject to try and make the best decisions I can. I freely admit it's no medical degree but have tried to glean as much info as possible from what is out there. Hence getting your input also as you are involved in the sport.
I guess the jist of it is that I am not sure how you can truly "field" diagnose accurately TBI's? It seems like it's still very uncharted territory to much extent. In reference to pro MX/SX,I don't follow a ton of social media but enough to know that there is a general attitude of "if it can't be seen it doesn't exist." Not much can be done until riders/teams/sponsors/promoters, etc. decide to take it seriously. You would think Dave Mirra's situation would've opened some eyes but MX'ers are notoriously blind when confronted with injuries. Add to the fact that there is always some new naive cannon fodder for Feld to exploit makes it tough to withstand the pressure to ride even when it may be a poor decision long term.

The only thing that "might" help the amateur side is change on the professional side. You will never get any type of widespread concussion protocol in place in amateur MX. Again, too much ignorance and greed. Not that promoters are getting rich, just the opposite they feel they can't afford to turn away riders. I get it. Parents should make these decisions but won't. It seems that those chunks of plastic are more important that their kid's mental health. I have seen multiple riders get knocked out multiple times with a few weeks and still be riding. No blood or broken bones no injury. It's crazy the unseen damage TBI's can cause to a child's cognitive ability..........................

The Shop

hamncheeze
1/22/2018 3:47pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2018 3:48pm
hamncheeze wrote:
Honestly this situation reminds me a bit of Dallas 2013 when Zach Bell had that big get-off in his heat but continued racing through the night...
Honestly this situation reminds me a bit of Dallas 2013 when Zach Bell had that big get-off in his heat but continued racing through the night. Eddie C has already weighed in here to defend the medical crew, but I think most of us can see from the crash footage plus AC's own admission that he was dazed afterwards that he hit his head pretty hard and probably should have not been racing.
EddieC wrote:
Because what you see from T.V. provides you a much better vantage point to make medical decisions? Tell you what, let me have your phone number...
Because what you see from T.V. provides you a much better vantage point to make medical decisions?

Tell you what, let me have your phone number and the next time someone goes down I will call you from the track and you can give me a thumbs up or down for that rider.

In both cases the riders in question don't move right away after the hitting ground. Now I'm no expert on brain trauma even though I do work in a medical field (oncology), but I definitely know from my years of Moto that when riders crash in the landing area of a jump or in a rhythm section like Zach or AC, they generally do not just lay still if they are not injured or OK. They either curl into a ball to protect themselves, or they jump up quick to try to avoid being hit. The fact that neither rider does this immediately is a reasonable indication that they were most likely "out" or at the least very "stunned" for lack of better words. They can tell you they never lost consciousness and pass whatever tests you want to throw at them, but don't tell me if Adam wadded it up again in the night show and hit his head that his brain would have been at the same baseline as it would have been without the practice crash. And one thing even all of us non-experts should agree on is that multiple brain traumas in relatively close succession is pretty much the worst possible scenario for inducing a more severe or permanent brain injury.

And FWIW, I love Adam. Great kid, great personality and I really want to see him succeed. But when he's 45 years old I want him to be able to put together his thoughts and words just as well he does today.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
1/22/2018 4:07pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2018 4:14pm
I like how the only footage is from someone filming their TV with a potato and it cuts out right after he hits the deck.
They showed it better during the main broadcast.
He looks pretty limp in the split second you do see him on the ground... I've had the wind knocked out of me many times and I could still move around.

I'm not debating whether or not he should have raced, it's in regards to the people saying he was just winded.
Premix
1/22/2018 4:14pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2018 4:17pm
EZZA 95B wrote:
I like how the only footage is from someone filming their TV with a potato and it cuts out right after he hits the deck. They...
I like how the only footage is from someone filming their TV with a potato and it cuts out right after he hits the deck.
They showed it better during the main broadcast.
He looks pretty limp in the split second you do see him on the ground... I've had the wind knocked out of me many times and I could still move around.

I'm not debating whether or not he should have raced, it's in regards to the people saying he was just winded.
1/22/2018 4:29pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I gotta say Eddie , you came in here and cleaned house with these last few posts! Tracktor is a good dude and a parent and...
I gotta say Eddie , you came in here and cleaned house with these last few posts! Tracktor is a good dude and a parent and I know he means well. Jabroni.....well , he knows everything these is to know about this sport and the medical field. He can give a complete 100% medical diagnosis by watching it from his couch. He could also take a better part of the day and totally re-write the entire concussion protocol , because like I said , he knows everything. And we should all bow down to his superiority on these matters.
Yeah Jeffro... Eddie sure cleaned my clock.

It's always a encouraging sign when a medical/science professional professes their emotional bias towards their research.

Food for thought: when it was discovered that the world was not flat, it was not Galileo whose ego got hurt.

The very basis of my argument in this thread is not how much I know, but how much we do NOT know. Every day the news on this topic gets worse. And yeah, in 20 years, the tests and conclusions being drawn today will look like a "joke". Just as they do today when we look back at how this topic was viewed in 1997. I cant help it that some of you are still stuck in 1997 on this topic.

Eddie listed every possible alternative hypothesis except that maybe his tests outright failed. It's that sorta hubris that keeps me from blindly trusting the "professionals" on this topic. Science should welcome criticism.

For fucks sake, I've seen less emotional responses when God/religion is argued in the Off Topic section.
jeffro503
1/22/2018 4:37pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I gotta say Eddie , you came in here and cleaned house with these last few posts! Tracktor is a good dude and a parent and...
Yeah Jeffro... Eddie sure cleaned my clock. It's always a encouraging sign when a medical/science professional professes their emotional bias towards their research. Food for thought...

It's always a encouraging sign when a medical/science professional professes their emotional bias towards their research.

Food for thought: when it was discovered that the world was not flat, it was not Galileo whose ego got hurt.

The very basis of my argument in this thread is not how much I know, but how much we do NOT know. Every day the news on this topic gets worse. And yeah, in 20 years, the tests and conclusions being drawn today will look like a "joke". Just as they do today when we look back at how this topic was viewed in 1997. I cant help it that some of you are still stuck in 1997 on this topic.

Eddie listed every possible alternative hypothesis except that maybe his tests outright failed. It's that sorta hubris that keeps me from blindly trusting the "professionals" on this topic. Science should welcome criticism.

For fucks sake, I've seen less emotional responses when God/religion is argued in the Off Topic section.
So now you're proclaiming ( again I guess ) that you know more about concussion protocols then the people who write them or practice them. Please enlighten us and the entire medical field on your extensive research. You're doing nothing but rambling stupid shit , and not one person in here will say " You're right and Eddie is wrong ".....and actually mean it.

I know you can be a good dude , but right now , you should log off and don't respond any further. Just my advice.
1/22/2018 4:40pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2018 4:41pm
Then do something about it. I mean no disrespect but all I'm reading is that the doctors have an agenda, the riders don't know themselves well...
Then do something about it.

I mean no disrespect but all I'm reading is that the doctors have an agenda, the riders don't know themselves well enough, science doesn't know enough, doctors don't know that science that they do have well enough, some people light stop lights some like roundabouts, etc.
No offense taken.

It's a super dynamic topic. I dont have the answers. Heck, I dont even know who you blame in this case. Everyone is complicit. All I know is that this topic aint going away and should be handled with an open mind.

Us men have been banging our heads against shit for most of our lives. Imagine finding out in 20 years that we are all suffering from some form of CTE due to the harmonics of the engine of the dirtbikes we ride? How many times have we all fought with our wives because we had a short fuse that day. Or gotten road rage? Or yelled at our kids?

Maybe that is all avoidable if we can just explore the topic, even if the answers are ugly. That's why I want this topic explored. It's more than just the obvious concussions and "bell ringers".

Or maybe Im wrong. I can live with being wrong on this topic if in 20 years it is proven that way. Trust me, I dont want to be right on this one.
1/22/2018 4:45pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2018 4:48pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Yeah Jeffro... Eddie sure cleaned my clock. It's always a encouraging sign when a medical/science professional professes their emotional bias towards their research. Food for thought...

jeffro503 wrote:
So now you're proclaiming ( again I guess ) that you know more about concussion protocols then the people who write them or practice them. Please...
So now you're proclaiming ( again I guess ) that you know more about concussion protocols then the people who write them or practice them. Please enlighten us and the entire medical field on your extensive research. You're doing nothing but rambling stupid shit , and not one person in here will say " You're right and Eddie is wrong ".....and actually mean it.

I know you can be a good dude , but right now , you should log off and don't respond any further. Just my advice.
You know who gets upset if I start proclaiming that the sky is cotton candy and the Sun is made of KTM blood? Nobody.

The fact that questioning the realities of CTE gets a emotional response out of people should tell you something.

Think about it.

The neuroscientist dropped in on this thread and his responses have all been logical and dry. No emotion whatsoever. And yeah, he is agreeing with my overall sentiment on this. If he's not credible I cant help you. And it certainly isnt my job do to research for you on a topic that you clearly dont really want to know the truth on.
1/22/2018 4:51pm
Furthermore, I dont necessarily think Eddie is "wrong" in any of this. As Ive said, he's in the toughest position possible. It's no-win.
1/22/2018 5:13pm
rongi#401 wrote:
In 2006 Leighton Lillie got knocked out in the heat race. When he was on the line for the lcq he asked "does the first turn...
In 2006 Leighton Lillie got knocked out in the heat race. When he was on the line for the lcq he asked "does the first turn go left or right?"
I asked the same question at the lake Elsinore GP after my concussion.
Camp332
1/22/2018 5:17pm
He looked like he got ktfo in that video he posted.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/22/2018 6:18pm

Try arguing politics and religion in Non-Moto, and see where it gets you.

I doubt Eddie's response is really much different than yours would be if he started critiquing your work.

Maybe you really are the good example of CTE in action. Wink
1/22/2018 7:17pm

GuyB wrote:
Try arguing politics and religion in Non-Moto, and see where it gets you. I doubt Eddie's response is really much different than yours would be if...
Try arguing politics and religion in Non-Moto, and see where it gets you.

I doubt Eddie's response is really much different than yours would be if he started critiquing your work.

Maybe you really are the good example of CTE in action. Wink
Maybe so. Then again, Im not the one who sweeps a topic like this under the dumbgeon rug.
scooter5002
1/22/2018 7:19pm
The world ISN’T flat?! Wtf......when did THIS shit come out?
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/22/2018 7:23pm
Maybe so. Then again, Im not the one who sweeps a topic like this under the dumbgeon rug.
I was fine leaving it alone until you went full retard.
1/22/2018 8:04pm
GuyB wrote:
I was fine leaving it alone until you went full retard.
Really? That’s what got it shipped to the dumbgeon?

Jeez. How could I have missed that. It’s not like EVERY controversial PED or concussion thread doesn’t get shipped here now is it.

Im not the common denominator here.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/22/2018 9:43pm
How many PED threads or messages have you seen here that actually have any evidence, or have advanced the issue? I haven’t seen any.

Same goes for this topic.
1/23/2018 8:35am
GuyB wrote:
How many PED threads or messages have you seen here that actually have any evidence, or have advanced the issue? I haven’t seen any. Same goes...
How many PED threads or messages have you seen here that actually have any evidence, or have advanced the issue? I haven’t seen any.

Same goes for this topic.
Every other major sport is well aware of PED use and they're starting to open up the dialogue on concussions.

This sport still wants more evidence and it's fans to advance the issue before it can be considered a topic of civil conversation?

That is ridiculous and you know it.

There's plenty of evidence of the PED stuff. A certain rider got sent to race Europe because of a failed test. In any other major sport there would have been media all over that story and they would've flushed out the truth. Please dont pretend the media in this sport actually wants to break that story cause if y'all did, you would. You dont. And then have the nerve to ask fans for "evidence" of PED use?

The concussion topic is being swept under the rug no different. Why? Because nobody is going to like the truth on it. And I cannot say I blame anyone for that. It's not gonna be a pretty truth. But let's be honest, its the fact that this topic scares people is why it ends up in the dumbgeon. It has nothing to do with a lack of evidence. Read the tea leaves man, every other day a new study comes out on the realities of brain trauma and it's not hard to see the direction things are going.
Tracktor
1/23/2018 2:00pm
Pretty pathetic that this ended up here. This topic has been swept under the rug way to much in the sports world. Whether or not that's the case here it definitely has that appearance. There is nothing wrong with challenging those in authority when kids health is involved. I was really hoping to get more clarity on their stance and handling of TBI's but I guess not? I would think that if the protocol is advanced and thought out that is information that would be good to have out there.........

Premix
1/23/2018 3:25pm
Wow, really disappointing to see this ended up here. I mean after all isn’t the purpose of a forum to have an open discussion? Guess Vital has bills to pay and as the old saying goes, “don’t bite the hand that feeds you”
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
1/23/2018 6:25pm
This thread didnt make it to the Dumbgeon because of the topics of concussion or CTE. The PED threads that I have read, that made it to the Dumbgeon, didn't make it based on topic. They made it to the Dumbgeon because of finger pointing and unfounded/unknown accusations without merit, even as far as to name names or insinuate certain people and/or groups.
LoudLove
1/23/2018 6:58pm
Disappointing that this serous discussion was moved to, ironically, The Dumbgeon. Jabroni may have been somewhat accusatory, but he also defended Eddie in the same breath. Admittedly a medical professional should not engage in forum battles, but this is a small, niche sport that has no problem devouring those who dare cross it's unwritten laws.

In what has become THE issue in many sports, the main source of pubic dialogue for SX/MX unilaterally decided to push it to the back pages. GuyB, I don't know you, and you don't know me, so I cannot comment on what forces drive your decision-making. Friendships, financial, secret calls at 1:00 AM, who knows. But we know that you know this is a serious, challenging concern for all sports. To simply tag it as unwarranted fodder does no favors to the fans, the teams, Asterisks, and least of all, the riders. You can make a difference. The question is, will you?
yak651
Fantasy
214th
1/23/2018 7:14pm
EddieC wrote:
When you say studied, what is it exactly that you have studied? What do you mean by nothing that you learned matches what you see in...

No series for amateur racing? What is all the LL qualifiers, regionals and LL championship? If the biggest promoter who also happens to be in charge of pro racing can't get behind this, that is sad. Guess they are waiting for outside forces to become involved to make change, and by then it may be too late
Premix
1/23/2018 7:30pm
yak651 wrote:
No series for amateur racing? What is all the LL qualifiers, regionals and LL championship? If the biggest promoter who also happens to be in charge...
No series for amateur racing? What is all the LL qualifiers, regionals and LL championship? If the biggest promoter who also happens to be in charge of pro racing can't get behind this, that is sad. Guess they are waiting for outside forces to become involved to make change, and by then it may be too late
In my honest opinion, it’s going to take one of the top riders passing away before anything drastic will ever change. As morbid as that sounds, look what Dale Earnhardts passing did for the safety of NASCAR. I’m not sure why the issues such as this and the PED’s get swept under the rug so easily, perhaps our sport can’t handle a scandle like this, might cause the circus tent to collapse.
2/6/2018 2:07pm
Premix wrote:
Wow, really disappointing to see this ended up here. I mean after all isn’t the purpose of a forum to have an open discussion? Guess Vital...
Wow, really disappointing to see this ended up here. I mean after all isn’t the purpose of a forum to have an open discussion? Guess Vital has bills to pay and as the old saying goes, “don’t bite the hand that feeds you”
Truth. Which is why I often regret being harsh on GuyB. He's in no less a difficult position than Eddie is in.

It's very easy for us to sit back and demand hard hitting journalism. But if that would torpedo our livelihood, we'd be making the same decisions.
2/6/2018 2:10pm
LoudLove wrote:
Disappointing that this serous discussion was moved to, ironically, The Dumbgeon. Jabroni may have been somewhat accusatory, but he also defended Eddie in the same breath...
Disappointing that this serous discussion was moved to, ironically, The Dumbgeon. Jabroni may have been somewhat accusatory, but he also defended Eddie in the same breath. Admittedly a medical professional should not engage in forum battles, but this is a small, niche sport that has no problem devouring those who dare cross it's unwritten laws.

In what has become THE issue in many sports, the main source of pubic dialogue for SX/MX unilaterally decided to push it to the back pages. GuyB, I don't know you, and you don't know me, so I cannot comment on what forces drive your decision-making. Friendships, financial, secret calls at 1:00 AM, who knows. But we know that you know this is a serious, challenging concern for all sports. To simply tag it as unwarranted fodder does no favors to the fans, the teams, Asterisks, and least of all, the riders. You can make a difference. The question is, will you?
Thanks for your clairvoyance.

I too wish we could talk about this. But as I said in my most recent post, the media in this sport are in a impossible position.

Eddie's mistake was getting emotional about a topic that doesnt warrant emotion. Especially from a medical professional. Engaging in the dialogue is a no-win battle for him because due to liability reasons he must blindly defend his work. I'd strongly guess that if these discussions were had in private amongst trusted people, they'd be far less combative.

Post a reply to: Should AC92 been allowed to race?

The Latest