Since it's the off season. Here's my neck brace story

Edited Date/Time 11/21/2017 4:14am
I raced the Lake Elsinore Grand Prix this past weekend and I only remember bits and pieces because I landed on my head.

My buddy and I had been looking forward to it for a pretty long time. We had this great idea where we would buy discount Halloween costumes and maybe start a Lake Elsinore GP tradition by dressing up for each of our races.

Practice was fine, but in my first race I remember running off the side of the trail at some point and my only real memory from the race is when I remounted back on my bike. My fork guard and front brake line were ripped off and my visor was smashed. I remember thinking, "shit, another concussion." I don't really remember anything else from that day besides bits and pieces.

I wish I remembered more, because I obviously face planted due to the damage to my helmet, but the most interesting part was that the only other pain I had was on my spine right between my shoulder blades. The pain was pretty much right where the lower part of my leatt is in contact with my back. The brace transferred the force to a stronger part of my spine/body.

I really think it did save me from death or paralysis. I just figured I would share my story if anybody was on the fence about riding with one.

After the crash with my broken fork guard and visor.

|
Crush
11/19/2017 3:09am
Glad you're ok bro!
HenryA
11/19/2017 5:46am
If that's not lit kit award worthy then what is?
Camp332
11/19/2017 5:57am
First off, glad you are ok.

Secondly, allow for the annual off-season VitalMX neckbrace debate commence.
Flip109
11/19/2017 5:59am
People can say what they want about neck braces. I’d rather have one on during a bad crash than be laying there with a broken neck wondering what If I would have worn one. Glad you are ok!

The Shop

erik_94COBRA
11/19/2017 6:03am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2017 6:04am
If the pain doesn't go away you might get checked for a fractured vertabrae. Over the years have seen several posts where people with that brand neck brace end up having a fractured vertebrae there.

Does your brace have the single support bar that is aligned with spine, or where there is one on each side?

Edit: glad you're ok. Nice costume. I've wanted to do something similar with a thrift store suit.
b_kowalsk
11/19/2017 6:34am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2017 7:18am
I wear one for peace of mind, but never really had to 'test' it. Its an older EVS unit. What would you guys say the best neck brace currently on the market is?
Acidreamer
11/19/2017 6:40am
I think what really saved you is that cow onesie.
slipdog
11/19/2017 6:52am
Camp332 wrote:
First off, glad you are ok.

Secondly, allow for the annual off-season VitalMX neckbrace debate commence.
Why you gotta be such a Brotagonist, Bro!
rmoto003
11/19/2017 7:03am
you kept riding after you crashed and got knocked out? why
Bennett59
11/19/2017 7:04am
I no longer wear one but they can be safe, like the other guy Erik said though if you still feel pain go get it checked out. I was racing at Glen Helen coming down the first steep hill caught a kicker caused me to nose wheelie and slam head first into the bottom destroyed the neck brace I was wearing, kept having pain went had X-ray done and I broke my c-7 right where the brace ended.
Mini Elsinore
11/19/2017 7:23am
Sorry about your nasty crash, but damn son you were looking like prime rib out there!
mxbrian15
11/19/2017 7:56am
rmoto003 wrote:
I feel like this is obvious, but I’ll bite. When you’re concussed, you’ll do some strange things. Been there, done that. You’re not even close to thinking correctly. Hence, having a concussion...
doofy
11/19/2017 8:37am
I used to wear a leatt. I raced xc and was going over a bridge made of logs and washed out, rammed my head into the bank of the creek. The next 5 days my collarbones hurt so bad i tried not to move at all. Not sure what woulda happened had i not had it on. But i used to have a phobia over a spinal cord injury and researched the hell out of it, and almost every story the rider said they jammed their head into the ground and their body kinda crumpled up
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/19/2017 8:39am
rmoto003 wrote:
mxbrian15 wrote:
I feel like this is obvious, but I’ll bite. When you’re concussed, you’ll do some strange things. Been there, done that. You’re not even close to...
I feel like this is obvious, but I’ll bite. When you’re concussed, you’ll do some strange things. Been there, done that. You’re not even close to thinking correctly. Hence, having a concussion...
Ask Stew about Daytona...which he doesn't really remember.

I think we've all pretty much been there at one time. I finished an off-road race once with a nasty concussion...or at least I was told I did...I don't remember that entire week, still!
RCMXracing
11/19/2017 9:03am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2017 9:03am
I’ll bite. Human nature to point to some protective device and go “Look guys, this piece saved me!” Or “My Dr. said if I didn’t have this gizmo it had been lights out!” That’s swell. Truth is you don’t always know. I don’t wear one anymore because of several reasons. The main one being they don’t allow your body to do what it does naturally which is tuck and roll, specifically towards a shoulder. I got a massive concussion and compression fractures of T-5, 6, and 7 which I’m reminded of every day. My SE2 helmet chin guard was completely cracked in two. Do I blame the brace? For the fractures, possibly, but no way to know. For the concussion, absolutely. I would never give anyone crap for wearing one or not. Personal choice.
11/19/2017 10:55am
If the pain doesn't go away you might get checked for a fractured vertabrae. Over the years have seen several posts where people with that brand...
If the pain doesn't go away you might get checked for a fractured vertabrae. Over the years have seen several posts where people with that brand neck brace end up having a fractured vertebrae there.

Does your brace have the single support bar that is aligned with spine, or where there is one on each side?

Edit: glad you're ok. Nice costume. I've wanted to do something similar with a thrift store suit.
Yes it has a single support bar. I think it's actually one of the originals that they came out with. I have thought about getting my back checked, but there wouldn't really be anything they could do. They would probably give me meds for the pain, but it really isn't bad. It is a week later and it's slowly improving.

RCMXracing
11/19/2017 12:12pm
To the OP: Seriously get an X-ray! That tab on the Leatt most likely has little or nothing to do with the pain. You might have compressed a vertabrae or 2. Spine like a chain, fold it too far and it breaks. My crash was in 2010 and Kyphoplasty was new then, Dr. didn’t recommend. Big mistake. Those compressions are like stepping on a carboard box. They basically shoot an expoxy and it expands the vertebrae back to normal shape. When you have compressions, muscles, tendons, not aligned, lots of nagging pain forever. It’s called a surgery but not hardcore like getting cut open. Check into it!
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1623rd
11/19/2017 12:25pm
Glad you're ok. Eat mor chiken!!
11/19/2017 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2017 1:17pm
RCMXracing wrote:
To the OP: Seriously get an X-ray! That tab on the Leatt most likely has little or nothing to do with the pain. You might have...
To the OP: Seriously get an X-ray! That tab on the Leatt most likely has little or nothing to do with the pain. You might have compressed a vertabrae or 2. Spine like a chain, fold it too far and it breaks. My crash was in 2010 and Kyphoplasty was new then, Dr. didn’t recommend. Big mistake. Those compressions are like stepping on a carboard box. They basically shoot an expoxy and it expands the vertebrae back to normal shape. When you have compressions, muscles, tendons, not aligned, lots of nagging pain forever. It’s called a surgery but not hardcore like getting cut open. Check into it!
Alright. I found a local place that can do the x-ray. I work in an ER so I'm hoping I could get an order for an x-ray from one of the docs rather than having to go to an urgent care or anything like that.

I looked at my helmet again and it's kind of strange, there is no damage to the mouth piece, it is all just the visor. No scratches or anything. It was extra shitty because I also have a fox with MPS, but wore the shoei because my sister in law just painted it.

My other argument for neck braces is that in a big head hit you are going to go completely flaccid immediately if you're out cold, so you will have no muscle tone and will fold like a pretzel. The brace could help save your neck in that situation.
Taylor415
11/19/2017 3:07pm
Glad your okay! I feel strange riding without one. I also have a Leatt
Joe512
11/19/2017 3:14pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2017 3:21pm
If the pain doesn't go away you might get checked for a fractured vertabrae. Over the years have seen several posts where people with that brand...

Yes it has a single support bar. I think it's actually one of the originals that they came out with. I have thought about getting my...
Yes it has a single support bar. I think it's actually one of the originals that they came out with. I have thought about getting my back checked, but there wouldn't really be anything they could do. They would probably give me meds for the pain, but it really isn't bad. It is a week later and it's slowly improving.

I've had that leatt, a-stars, and Atlas. Looking back that original leatt isn't really a good design with that single bar. Do yourself a favor and give the Atlas a try, I wouldn't wear anything else.
tingo
11/19/2017 5:19pm
Brace or no brace, I think you benefited from a little bovine intervention.
xr70
11/19/2017 5:25pm
Long time ago when the Leatt come out I purchased one but it was so uncomfortable that I used once and sold it . Two year ago I got the Atlas and loved it, u can't even feel that u have it on. Year ago I had big get off in milestone. I jumped in to the whoops and my foot slip of my foot peg I got tossed backwards on my head and back, pretty gnar gnar. After the crash I was totally ok , no concussion or neck pain but my helmet and neck brace was cracked and can see heavy marking from the helmet on my neck brace . The neck brace totally supported the helmet in that crash. So yea I am pretty sure that the neck brace saved me from extended injuries. I will never ride without one after that!
11/19/2017 5:50pm
I've started doing a lot of enduro/hare scramble type stuff, way less guys use neck braces in the off road scene it seems. I always wear my Atlas, even after it broke my collar bone when I lawn darted head first, my neck was totally fine.
I prefer the design of the Atlas due to where the force is transferred to, and if you're shorter in the neck it gives more clearance between the brace and the helmet.
rongi#401
11/19/2017 6:03pm
I feel like they transfer more energy to your head
Hut
11/19/2017 7:19pm
It was the Brovine duds Bro
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
11/19/2017 7:32pm
rongi#401 wrote:
Yes. But you run that avatar, so I find it hard to take you seriously. Wink

As for the OP's story, I think it's udderly amazing.
rongi#401
11/19/2017 11:13pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2017 11:16pm
rongi#401 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Yes. But you run that avatar, so I find it hard to take you seriously. Wink

As for the OP's story, I think it's udderly amazing.
more energy has been transferred to my head over the years.

i have a whole explanation to why i think that they actually cause more head trauma than not wearing one. but theres no way to know. unless some type of very unethical clinical study is done on a live person... :-O

also you know my brother, so you know theres a genetic trend at work
rongi#401
11/19/2017 11:14pm
i actually found my avatar doodled in my girlfriends little sisters yearbook and took a picture of it lol

Post a reply to: Since it's the off season. Here's my neck brace story

The Latest