So which is better, RM or YZ? (Comparison Video)

JM485
8/8/2017 9:13pm
Alright, I'm a little hesitant to post it but here we go anyways. I little while back I decided to take my RM and my YZ out to two tracks and do a short comparison video between the two. People will argue until they're blue in the face about which bike is better, and to be totally honest I still don't think you can draw a clear winner between the two, so I did my best to compare what I felt were the strengths and weaknesses of each. Aside from telling me I have the most annoying voice on the planet let me know what you think, keep in mind this is my first time doing anything like this so it's not going to be ML quality.Laughing

|
8/9/2017 6:12am
Nice video, bro. Did you ensure that both bikes had sprocket bolts torqued to the manufacturer's specs?
NeedMoto
8/9/2017 7:00am
Excellent vid!
Great job!
Looking forward to moreCool

Let us know what tracks your riding when doing theseWink
PRM31
8/9/2017 7:21am
Very cool!

SSS are not magic??? Shocked I have an '05 RM125 and often ride a friends '06 YZ125 and I prefer the Showas on the RM. In fairness they were set up for me by Factory Connection, but it tells me the differences are less than the ability to tune.

The Shop

Ted722
8/9/2017 7:46am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2017 7:47am
Nice! I think you nailed it. And the winner is......YOU.....you've got both bikes! Laughing
PRM31
8/9/2017 8:12am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2017 8:13am
PRM31 wrote:
Very cool! SSS are not magic??? :ohmy: I have an '05 RM125 and often ride a friends '06 YZ125 and I prefer the Showas on the...
Very cool!

SSS are not magic??? Shocked I have an '05 RM125 and often ride a friends '06 YZ125 and I prefer the Showas on the RM. In fairness they were set up for me by Factory Connection, but it tells me the differences are less than the ability to tune.
Don't know how to edit that quote out...

"So, for you, which one do you pick?"

Me?

I prefer my RM. But it's refined for me. If I were set up the YZ suspension and controls for me I'd likely be very happy with it. The YZ is more numb if that makes sense. Doesn't so anything bad, just not as lively. Components on the YZ may be a little better, last a little longer? Both bikes are smile generators after riding a 250 4t.

I am honestly shocked at how good the suspension and handling on the RM really is. I've come into some really nasty braking bumps or kickers and cringed then only have it soak it all up with no fuss. And, the handling is flawless in my opinion.
b8res
8/9/2017 10:37am
Josh....Thanks for the effort and sharing your thoughts on both bikes. Long story short, last year at the Hollister National (OTHG) on Friday, practice day, my RM broke the shift return spring. So, my buddy brought a 06 YZ250 for me to race a back up bike. I was familiar with the YZ handling as I also raced my 05 YZ 125. Anyway, with only less than a dozen laps of practice on the YZ I felt right at home on the YZ. The YZ suspension was set up for really close to my weight so that wasn't a problem. A few clicker changes and it was in the ball park. The YZ wasn't jetted as clean as my RM and also the gearing just felt different with the 14 tooth c/s sprocket. I wasn't really any faster or slower on the YZ, pretty much the same on both bikes.

JM485
8/9/2017 5:07pm
Barry_Smith:
Manufacturers specs? What do you think I am bro, some kind of Ridgeline driving crossfitter? If you aren't yielding threads you aren't torquing bro. . .

NeedMoto:
Argyle and Diablo (Sand Hill). If you ever drive on down send me a message, we'll be at Diablo this Saturday.

PRM31:
The forks and shock on the RM are revalved, but it was done a long time ago and I remember not feeling a huge difference when they were done, so the settings are really close to stock. Everyone raves about the SSS (especially people who haven't even ridden them), but a lot of it is internet exaggeration as far as I'm concerned. The forks are good, but they aren't incredible.

racingforthesun:
Performance wise, it's a crap shoot between the two, it would really depend on the track. As far as long term ownership, YZ all day long. Parts are much cheaper, and as far as I'm concerned overall build quality is just a little bit better. When it's time to do a top end or crank, you'll be happy you have a YZ.

Ted722:
Nailed it!Laughing I love both bikes, you just can't go wrong with any of the 250 two strokes as far as I'm concerned!

B8res:
You got it, both bikes are very similar. I think if the Yamaha had a slightly steaper head angle it would be right in line with the turning abilities of the RM. But, at the same time, you'll lose a little bit of that stability at speed, so like anything else it's always a trade off that each manufacturer has to consider. Interestingly enough, when I was riding my cr125 a lot I demoed the yz125. To be honest the bike didn't feel all that much faster, just had a wider power, but man did it turn like crap compared to the Honda. After hearing how underpowered and slow the Honda was I was sure I would hate it after riding the YZ, but that wasn't the case at all, I actually like my CR better.

Thanks for watching guys, glad you enjoyed it.

H4L
8/9/2017 8:29pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2017 8:49pm
You were pretty spot on the ride report. I've owned an 06 RM250 & 02, 04 YZ250's + ridden the 06 - 15 models with the SSS KYB's. I personally preferred the YZ over the RM due to the stability & better lowend power vs. the RM. The drawback was the YZ signed off sooner in comparison.
8/10/2017 5:34am
JM485 wrote:
Barry_Smith: Manufacturers specs? What do you think I am bro, some kind of Ridgeline driving crossfitter? If you aren't yielding threads you aren't torquing bro....
Barry_Smith:
Manufacturers specs? What do you think I am bro, some kind of Ridgeline driving crossfitter? If you aren't yielding threads you aren't torquing bro. . .

NeedMoto:
Argyle and Diablo (Sand Hill). If you ever drive on down send me a message, we'll be at Diablo this Saturday.

PRM31:
The forks and shock on the RM are revalved, but it was done a long time ago and I remember not feeling a huge difference when they were done, so the settings are really close to stock. Everyone raves about the SSS (especially people who haven't even ridden them), but a lot of it is internet exaggeration as far as I'm concerned. The forks are good, but they aren't incredible.

racingforthesun:
Performance wise, it's a crap shoot between the two, it would really depend on the track. As far as long term ownership, YZ all day long. Parts are much cheaper, and as far as I'm concerned overall build quality is just a little bit better. When it's time to do a top end or crank, you'll be happy you have a YZ.

Ted722:
Nailed it!Laughing I love both bikes, you just can't go wrong with any of the 250 two strokes as far as I'm concerned!

B8res:
You got it, both bikes are very similar. I think if the Yamaha had a slightly steaper head angle it would be right in line with the turning abilities of the RM. But, at the same time, you'll lose a little bit of that stability at speed, so like anything else it's always a trade off that each manufacturer has to consider. Interestingly enough, when I was riding my cr125 a lot I demoed the yz125. To be honest the bike didn't feel all that much faster, just had a wider power, but man did it turn like crap compared to the Honda. After hearing how underpowered and slow the Honda was I was sure I would hate it after riding the YZ, but that wasn't the case at all, I actually like my CR better.

Thanks for watching guys, glad you enjoyed it.

I'm on a 06' YZ125 and I had an 05' RM250 for years. The YZ build quality is 2nd to none. My son's 17' KX250F isn't holding up as good as this 11 year old YZ.
JAFO92
8/10/2017 5:52am
Excellent video, thanks for posting that.
8/10/2017 6:12am
Good video, interesting. These are the 2 bikes I think about buying the most at some future date. One or the other, probably the RM for me as Iv'e never had one and didn't like (though it was still awesome) my ali framed Yam as much as the steel.

Also, nice riding!
JM485
8/10/2017 5:09pm
JAFO92, I know you like those old RMs haha, glad you enjoyed it even though I didn't give the RM a clear win.

Motocross83, I'm assuming a lot of the tracks you ride over there are a little softer and more rutted since it's a wetter climate (if I'm wrong on this just smack me across the head, I don't travelLaughing ). If that's true, then I can see you liking the RM more for those conditions. It was considerably easier for me to stay in ruts with the RM since it didn't have as much of a tendancy to want to slide the front wheel up and out, and if I only rode tracks like that I probably would have given the RM the win. Just consider though that you are going to pay A LOT more for RM parts, and they tend to command some pretty high prices. Just some things to consider, all said and done though they are great bikes and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
YZ125H1
8/10/2017 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2017 5:16pm
I think your results are dead on. Love my 04 RM250 despite the crazy oem prices. The handling, light feel, and narrowness of the RM250 is it's best trait. Both bikes are great in their own right, but for my type of riding the Suzuki is better. In the motor department the YZ gets a slight nod.
JM485
8/10/2017 9:05pm
YZ125H1 wrote:
I think your results are dead on. Love my 04 RM250 despite the crazy oem prices. The handling, light feel, and narrowness of the RM250 is...
I think your results are dead on. Love my 04 RM250 despite the crazy oem prices. The handling, light feel, and narrowness of the RM250 is it's best trait. Both bikes are great in their own right, but for my type of riding the Suzuki is better. In the motor department the YZ gets a slight nod.
The RM definitely feels a little narrower, no doubt about it. I'd be curious to measure whether it really is significantly narrower, or if it's more a function of the plastic and seat shape. Interesting you mention the lightness, both these bikes are the antonyms of four strokes for sure. Steer with the rear and let the front float, that's pretty much the name of the game with both of these bikes, definitely not four stroke like at all (which is why I like them). I feel like if you stuck the YZ motor in the Suzuki frame you would have the greatest bike ever made, take the best of both worlds!

Post a reply to: So which is better, RM or YZ? (Comparison Video)

The Latest