Stacyc or PW50 as first bike?

adamdf
Edited Date/Time 2/1/2020 12:50pm
Hey all,

I have a soon to be 4 year old and naturally I had planned to get him into motocross on a 50cc just like i did. Initially I had thought that the PW50 would be the best bet but with these Stacyc bikes I'm wondering if its a better move to start him on that and then get him a TTR or CRF50 once hes a bit bigger (and skip the PW all together). Reason being, I am a bit concerned that he will outgrow the PW in less than a year,

I don't live in the US and cannot find any decent used ones so I'll have to import one, by the time I'm done I would have spent about US$2K on a bike that he may outgrow (or will he?). To be honest I grew up on the Honda 50s and that lasted me about 2 years before I jumped to a KX60, but I started just before I turned 7. I am not familiar enough with the PWs other than I know they are fully automatic and are smaller and lighter than the TTR and CRF 50.

For what it's worth, I started him on a Strider balance bike at 1 1/2, which he mastered, and hes been riding a bicycle without training wheels just after he turned 3 and he's excellent (yes I am proud). He tries to back pedal and skid the rear wheel and do other little things, needless to say he is confident and he loves his bikes. Funny enough, I bought him a Razr quad when he turned 3 and he doesnt seem to like it, I think he just wants a real motorcycle like dad already!

But enough of the rant, what do you guys think of the Stacyc vs PW50 dilemma I am facing? And If i went the PW route, how long do you think it will last him? 1 year, 2 years?

Thanks in advance!

Adam
|
peltier626
11/29/2018 9:26am Edited Date/Time 11/29/2018 9:27am
I started my son out on a pw50 and my friend started his son out on a stacyc. Same age, his son is able to ride the stacyc anytime and logs 10x the hours as compared to my son on his pw. Accessibility is a plus for the stacyc around the house. His son rides standing all the time and his balance and ability to grip the bike with his knees is outstanding. At the track the pw is superior to the stacyc. Both would be great. I might end up getting a stacyc too just for convenience around the house.
11/29/2018 9:31am
2 different bikes with 2 different applications. The stacyc is the best thing for learning balance and throttle control. However if your kid already has the balance at 4 years old then a PW50 is the way to go for MX.
At 4 years + the stacyc is just a fun toy for the pump track or riding round the neighborhood. It’s no match for a PW on a MX track.
rob27ma
11/29/2018 9:32am
I was in a similar situation as you last year. Started son on a strider early and jumped right to a pedal bike with handbrakes at around 3. At 4 I bought him a PW, and at 5 picked up a Stacyc.

If you can only have one I would opt for the PW since they hold up better and I think you could get at least 2 years out of it. My son is tall for his age, and he already has 2 seasons on the PW and he can probably keep riding it although I'm probably going to move him up to a KTM 50 senior next year.

He rides the stacyc more often due to convenience, but he prefers the PW whenever he is given the choice.

I would also consider parts availability as we've had to replace a handful of parts on the stacyc that typically leave the bike sitting for a week while waiting for the parts to come in stateside. The PW we bought new and haven't had to replace anything on yet.

Also, even with the added expense of importing the PW, they hold their value really well so I wouldn't be surprised if you could get most your money back when you decide to sell.

11/29/2018 9:36am
Just started my 2 year old on the Stacyc and he wants to ride it non stop. I think it’s a huge advantage for him to be comfortable on that bike before getting on a PW this spring.

The Shop

rob27ma
11/29/2018 9:37am
Don't get me wrong, I think the Stacyc's are great, but would not consider them zero maintenance. I've had to replace the gearbox and motor on my son's within the first 6 months. With that said though, if I had to purchase it again I would.

I agree on the convenience though, unless you can ride your dirt bike right in your own backyard it's a great choice (can't wait for the new KTM electric bikes to come out next year)
Calihusky
11/29/2018 10:39am
I had my son start out with a regular strider bike. Once he was able to ride it well around age 3 I bought him an Oset 12.5R. I had a Suzuki JR50 (which is like the pw50) that my older son had used when he was about 6 but I didn’t think it was a great idea for my 3 year old although with sturdy Moto training wheels and the throttle turned down it would probably be ok. Now he is 5 and ready for the JR50 so I put the Oset up for sale in the classifieds. What I liked was that it was lighter, had a lower seat and I could dial the power down and slowly increase to his ability. My older son had started on a Razor years earlier which is cheaper and not bad but didn’t have the same suspension and throttle control and quit working after a year.
I would say between the JR50 I also have and pw50 I like that the JR50 has a rear brake pedal vs hand control but the pw50 doesn’t have a chain or sharp foot pegs so if I did it again I would go with pw50 if you are going for a gas bike.
billyp330
11/29/2018 11:03am
Pw50 I believe is your best bet. Do you have any friends or family here in the states that could purchase a good used pw and ship it too you? Not sure how expensive shipping would be but might be able to get one cheaper then a brand new one still. They are super cheap to get parts for and rebuild so i don't see any benefit of getting a new one.
phatfi20
11/29/2018 11:26am
I went PW and wish i went electric (Oset) with my 3 year old..

Less restrictive on where you can go, smaller, more tunable for learning and cheaper.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/29/2018 11:42am
We got my son a PW for Christmas in 2013 when he was 3 months past his 4th birthday. He rode it for 4 years, although he's been too big for it for a while now. Just recently moved him up to his sister's TT-R110. I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. He loved having a little motorcycle that looked like his dad's big motorcycle.
Denn700
11/29/2018 1:59pm
I started my son on this trike that you could push the back wheels together to make one wheel at 1 years old. The wheels were real fat and it taught him to balance really easy. Then I got him a Stryder At 1 1/2 and he was riding it by the end of the day. He won his first race at 2 and he got a PW for his 3rd birthday after having a power wheels 4 wheeler.
mikec265
11/29/2018 2:02pm
Right when my son turned 2 I started running with a leash connected to the Pw50 with training wheels.
Used a strider bike and took the training wheels off his bicycle at 3.5. training wheels came off the Pw50 2 months after his 4th birthday. In a couple months he moved to a Honda 50. I did the same for my nephew and my friends kid. Looking into a GasGas electric bike for next year over a fast 50.

My little girl is about to turn 2 in 8 days. I think I will get her a Staycyc, but still run with the PW50 for her. One more girl who's 6months old to run through the bikes after her.

Looking like I will get 5 kids into Moto along with a friend of a friend's 3 boys who started this year. Maybe more when I sell or give away the little bikes. In a way I wouldn't mind starting a public track just for peewee's and parents on pitbikes, but
I don't have time for it, or the right location.
11/29/2018 4:14pm
those of you saying stayc, do you live in the city?

We live out of town where I can ride a 450 with no complaints, a PW50 wouldn't even be heard by our neighbors. Does the answer change for country folk like us?
early
Fantasy
2212th
11/29/2018 5:17pm
those of you saying stayc, do you live in the city? We live out of town where I can ride a 450 with no complaints, a...
those of you saying stayc, do you live in the city?

We live out of town where I can ride a 450 with no complaints, a PW50 wouldn't even be heard by our neighbors. Does the answer change for country folk like us?
I am planning on starting my boy on an electric bike in a few years even though I have space to ride without annoying the neighbors with sound. A few reasons for this.

1. No hot engine or engine to start so he'll be more likely to ride under the wife's supervision when I'm at work.

2. More customizable power delivery to his ability.

3. Easier to throw in the vehicle to take to the grandparents house (or anywhere else) and not have to worry about gasoline fumes.

I'm excited to see what kind of offerings there are the summer of 2021 in regards to electric bikes for 3 year olds. Even if I have to get another gas bike after a year I think it would still get some use until he's about 5 due to points 1 and 3.
11/29/2018 6:14pm
This is a good thread.

For my oldest (5) he was on Strider just about soon as he could walk and pretty much mastered that by 2.5. At 3 YO he was able to ride a pedal bike without training wheels so I purchased a PW for him so it would be ready when he was. Bike was still a little tall and heavy for him so I got him the STACYC bike to aid in the adjustment to the mechanics of riding a powered bike and to learn throttle control. He literally hopped on that thing and blasted off. Obviously, his skill level progressed with more seat time but I must say there was very little learning curve.

IMO if you’re gonna moto, the PW is essential. It’s the ideal training MOTORCYCLE. I wouldn’t be too concerned about him outgrowing it too quick. From my experience, this bike can provide years of enjoyment even for advanced riders. In a perfect world you’d have both as the STACYC really bridges the gap from balance bike to dirt bike perfectly. Also, unless you have a track in your backyard, you’ll got more hours on that STACYC. We run that thing ragged around our property and also take it everywhere; to the track(booting around the pits) sibling stick and ball practices, the park…it’s really a great little machine.

My youngest is following the same path/timeline. Here he is on the STACYC after just turning 3.

11/29/2018 6:45pm
They love their moto bikes too, though. There is no substitute for that. Nothing better than track time with Dad.

11/29/2018 6:57pm
My eldest daughter got a PW for her 4th birthday and didn’t want to ride it without me on the back until she was 5.
My next daughter got a stacyc12 for Christmas at 3.5 years old. She got a PW at 4 and rode it within 5 minutes.
Both girls have stacyc 16in now and the 12 was passed to my son when he was 26 months, at 2.5 he rides it with feet up on green mode pinned everywhere. Although he can’t reach brake so he wears a pair of tennis shoes out a week (most expensive maintenance on either PW or stacyc so far)
He’ll get a PW hand me down for his 3rd birthday. That’s the ideal scenario.

I just took my 6 year old an a 2.5 hour trail ride, sand track, hill jump sesh after the rain in SoCal after school. She handled it like a champ on a PW50.

Big_dawg
11/29/2018 7:07pm
What kind of ride times are everyone getting from stacyc 16e? On a single charge? 15 min?
11/29/2018 7:08pm
Big_dawg wrote:
What kind of ride times are everyone getting from stacyc 16e? On a single charge? 15 min?
If there just pinned solid then about 20 mins but doing laps of a pump track or similar they last about 45 mins
early
Fantasy
2212th
11/29/2018 8:11pm
109 wrote:
My eldest daughter got a PW for her 4th birthday and didn’t want to ride it without me on the back until she was 5. My...
My eldest daughter got a PW for her 4th birthday and didn’t want to ride it without me on the back until she was 5.
My next daughter got a stacyc12 for Christmas at 3.5 years old. She got a PW at 4 and rode it within 5 minutes.
Both girls have stacyc 16in now and the 12 was passed to my son when he was 26 months, at 2.5 he rides it with feet up on green mode pinned everywhere. Although he can’t reach brake so he wears a pair of tennis shoes out a week (most expensive maintenance on either PW or stacyc so far)

I just took my 6 year old an a 2.5 hour trail ride, sand track, hill jump sesh after the rain in SoCal after school. She handled it like a champ on a PW50.

Would the stacyc 16 be ok for a 3 year old?
11/29/2018 8:44pm
109 wrote:
My eldest daughter got a PW for her 4th birthday and didn’t want to ride it without me on the back until she was 5. My...

early wrote:
Would the stacyc 16 be ok for a 3 year old?
I think the 12 is more suitable for a 3 year old. 16 I would say is 4.5 and above.
My 4 year old rides a 16 but looks small on it. I bumped her up so I could give the 12 to the 2 year old.

11/29/2018 8:45pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2018 9:05pm
Big_dawg wrote:
Naturally it’s pretty subjective with skill, terrain and which mode the bike is in.

• Low/Training mode ~ 5mph
• Med/Transitional mode ~ 7.5mph
• High/Advanced mode ~ 11mph

My boys mainly ride theirs on short grass or firm soil and nearly always on the advanced mode. We’re getting about 40 minutes or so under those conditions. Upgrading from the stock 4 Ah battery to the 5 Ah has helped in this regard.
Mx391
11/29/2018 8:58pm
My little guy has been wearing out a strider bike since he was 1. He will be 2 this Jan and weve got a stacyc bike for him. He was able to ride the demo model stacyc around the dealer pushing it along like his strider at 1.5 years old. For his 3rd bday we will get him a pdub.

If your boy is 4, I'd say pdub. I ride mine till I was 7 years old. Little big, but still had a blast.
motoXman9995
11/29/2018 9:19pm
My son started out on the Strider at 1.5 and the excitement for 2 wheels was immediate. We picked up the the Oset 12.5 at 2. As many have pointed out the adjustable speed low seat height is a great advantage and helped build confidence. It was nice to gradually adjust the speed until it was maxed out. I bought him a pw50 when he was 3 and shaved the seat foam down a bit to lower the height (he couldn’t touch yet). He favored the Oset over the PW until before his 4th birthday and now he favors the PW (he’s 4.5 now). In summary I think both the electric bikes and the pws serve a purpose. My son is on the shorter side right now so I really like the lower seat height of the pw over the crf/ttr. I can see the PW easily lasting a couple more years, but we might pick up a KTM mini this spring as well.
adamdf
11/30/2018 2:16am
Wow. Thanks for all the inisghtful responses everyone! I'm leaning towards the PW for his 4th birthday which would be in April. And maybe pick up a stacyc the following Christmas. It seems from your responses that both bikes have a good purpose with the Stacyc being accessible every day for use while the PW we would likely save for track days.

My main concern was out growing the PW but he's an average height 3.5 year old so based on your responses if I got him the PW on his 4th birthday he should at least get about 2 years out of it.

For those of you saying the OSET is cheaper, how so? The basic 12.5 retails for $1350, that's about the same price of a PW. However I would have to say that the OSET is more of a real motorcycle Vs the Stacyc and the fact that you could use it in the backyard is pretty cool.
11/30/2018 7:06am
adamdf wrote:
Wow. Thanks for all the inisghtful responses everyone! I'm leaning towards the PW for his 4th birthday which would be in April. And maybe pick up...
Wow. Thanks for all the inisghtful responses everyone! I'm leaning towards the PW for his 4th birthday which would be in April. And maybe pick up a stacyc the following Christmas. It seems from your responses that both bikes have a good purpose with the Stacyc being accessible every day for use while the PW we would likely save for track days.

My main concern was out growing the PW but he's an average height 3.5 year old so based on your responses if I got him the PW on his 4th birthday he should at least get about 2 years out of it.

For those of you saying the OSET is cheaper, how so? The basic 12.5 retails for $1350, that's about the same price of a PW. However I would have to say that the OSET is more of a real motorcycle Vs the Stacyc and the fact that you could use it in the backyard is pretty cool.
I wouldn’t buy a new PW, they haven’t changed since 1979.
I bought a 2006 PW50 for $600 and it’ll be worth $600 after all 3 of my kids have ridden it.
I bought a 2014 PW for $800 and at worst it’ll be worth $600 after all 3 kids have ridden.
They are bullet proof bikes that will go forever (as long as you top up the oil).

They are always in demand so resale is good. Cheapest bike you’ll ever own. No idea what resale would be like on stacyc or oset - I’d assume nowhere near as good as a PW.
OldHalfway
11/30/2018 9:14am
I never even knew about the stacyc. All of my children ride, oldest daughter started at 7 on a pw80, youngest daughter at 7 on the same bike after her sister moved on to a RM85. But my son was the one I had this struggle with, he wanted to ride since day one. I told him once he could ride a pedal bike ( he mastered the strider quickly) we would get him a bike. Ended up finding a kdx50 (same as jr50) for cheap when he was 4. I detuned it, throttle stop put back in, etc. He quickly picked it up so I had to retune it (2nd pilot jet removed, throttle stop back out, airbox opened up, baffle drilled out, spacers removed from exhaust and intake) and almost a year later he has done a harescramble this past month and is psyched for the season to start again in the spring.
Denn700
2/1/2020 8:10am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2020 8:11am
Denn700 wrote:
I started my son on this trike that you could push the back wheels together to make one wheel at 1 years old. The wheels were...
I started my son on this trike that you could push the back wheels together to make one wheel at 1 years old. The wheels were real fat and it taught him to balance really easy. Then I got him a Stryder At 1 1/2 and he was riding it by the end of the day. He won his first race at 2 and he got a PW for his 3rd birthday after having a power wheels 4 wheeler.
Let me update my post. I ended up getting my son a StacyC and his riding improved tremendously. My son is short for his age and is jumping doubles in the backyard now. I would go StacyC and then PW. We have a StacyC, PW50,CRF50 and KTM SX E 5.
kapaa10
2/1/2020 8:58am
Start w oset, then move up to gas gas e10 then the e12. Incredible bikes. Ktm bought gas gas so next year you will see the e10 and e12 branded ktm.
JohnnyD13
2/1/2020 9:25am
kapaa10 wrote:
Start w oset, then move up to gas gas e10 then the e12. Incredible bikes. Ktm bought gas gas so next year you will see the...
Start w oset, then move up to gas gas e10 then the e12. Incredible bikes. Ktm bought gas gas so next year you will see the e10 and e12 branded ktm.
The oset is the perfect tool for teaching kids that have never ridden. Safe, half the weight, and very adjustable. If they jump on a pw and crash they may never ride again. Don’t risk it. I have thought 7 kids how to ride

Post a reply to: Stacyc or PW50 as first bike?

The Latest