Stars of the sport?

1/11/2018 5:47am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2018 10:12am
I was on the train thinking, supercross has so much potential and its just not utilized like a company like the UFC. They started after supercross but used conflicting drama as promotion and it worked. Made me think that if we had more riders like Ken Roczen, Austin Forkner, Justin Barcia, Cooper Webb, Stewarts, RC, Reed, Poto, and less reserved like Tomac, Dungey, Marvin, etc... people would be more engaged into watching what will happen with the beef.

Lets be honest, that 2009 season with Reed and Stewart was one of the all-time greats for a reason, they died trying to win. I honestly hate what Aldon baker has done to the sport, training riders into putting solid finished over wins for championships, I think the format needs another re-vamp. Just me 2 cents on supercross, look what good promotion and 'fake' beef did for the UFC its a billion dollar company now.
|
cameron96
1/11/2018 5:50am
lol hear to Ralph and emig Talk about coop banged kens old chick.

And Anderson and Marv don’t ride together anymore
STLSharky
1/11/2018 5:58am
I was on the train thinking, supercross has so much potential and its just not utilized like a company like the UFC. They started after supercross...
I was on the train thinking, supercross has so much potential and its just not utilized like a company like the UFC. They started after supercross but used conflicting drama as promotion and it worked. Made me think that if we had more riders like Ken Roczen, Austin Forkner, Justin Barcia, Cooper Webb, Stewarts, RC, Reed, Poto, and less reserved like Tomac, Dungey, Marvin, etc... people would be more engaged into watching what will happen with the beef.

Lets be honest, that 2009 season with Reed and Stewart was one of the all-time greats for a reason, they died trying to win. I honestly hate what Aldon baker has done to the sport, training riders into putting solid finished over wins for championships, I think the format needs another re-vamp. Just me 2 cents on supercross, look what good promotion and 'fake' beef did for the UFC its a billion dollar company now.
Wonder why Anderson doesnt ride with Marv much
Acidreamer
1/11/2018 6:00am
I was on the train thinking, supercross has so much potential and its just not utilized like a company like the UFC. They started after supercross...

STLSharky wrote:
Wonder why Anderson doesnt ride with Marv much
Hes been testing in cali on the new husky...
Squitlege
1/11/2018 6:08am
Aldon was training James for that magical 09 season tho...

The Shop

1/11/2018 6:10am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2018 6:11am
But only we know this, no one on tv that doesn't go hard for vital understands why webb whipped in his face, they are just not taking advantage of anything I hate it. Everyone seems to care iabout Mcgregors complete clown show?
Squitlege
1/11/2018 6:22am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2018 6:23am
You want the tv announcers to propogate bitch ass instagram girlfriend drama on national TV? Go suck a kardashian dick, your threads are all shit
Cortami79
1/11/2018 6:25am
I think I understand what you're saying. McGregor really takes advantage of those press moments. People like personalities, thats for sure. And the kind of talk he did made him millions. However, McGregor has to back it up in 1 fight. Riders in AMA or GP's have to back their talk up every weekend.

I think however that guys like Anderson understand this, look at this post he made last winter Laughing
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZTvOODguS5/?taken-by=elhombre21

But for some reason we don't have that rivalry kind of thing like in 2009 with Stewart and Reed. That was drama all year and people like that. For sure, Dungey was a really good rider and an excellent ambassador for the sport, you can't take that away from him.
Spydee
1/11/2018 6:28am
Star of the sport right here:

TXDirt
1/11/2018 6:36am
I think they should trim the mains down to 15 riders each. Then before each main get the bikes lined out on the start straight with each rider. Go do a 30 second interview with maybe the top 10. Then parade lap and go to gate.

The SX show has been the same for like two decades. The exact same.

Or start with the 20-22 riders. Run it 10 laps. Come in for a mandatory pit stop/break of maybe 5 minutes. Make a few bike adjustments, fresh goggles, etc. Then rerack the top 12 for a gate drop for 15 lap finish.

Just thinking outside the box.

The whole production has gotten very stale.
kkawboy14
1/11/2018 6:41am
TXDirt wrote:
I think they should trim the mains down to 15 riders each. Then before each main get the bikes lined out on the start straight with...
I think they should trim the mains down to 15 riders each. Then before each main get the bikes lined out on the start straight with each rider. Go do a 30 second interview with maybe the top 10. Then parade lap and go to gate.

Or start with the 20-22 riders. Run it 10 laps. Come in for a mandatory pit stop/break of maybe 5 minutes. Make a few bike adjustments, fresh goggles, etc. Then rerack the top 12 for a gate drop for 15 lap finish.

To me 30 riders on the gate creates more drama!
kxking
Fantasy
1203rd
1/11/2018 6:43am
Look what Ronnie Mac did for the RBSR 2-Stroke battle.....Talk about hype !
TXDirt
1/11/2018 6:48am
TXDirt wrote:
I think they should trim the mains down to 15 riders each. Then before each main get the bikes lined out on the start straight with...

kkawboy14 wrote:
Not when 10 have a legitimate shot at the podium. And maybe 5 can really win. It’s not uncommon to be into lappers by lap two or three.

I just don’t think that’s a real good look for the sport and obviously if you are getting lapped on lap three you are not bringing much to the show. Not trying to be disparaging to anyone. Just being realistic.

SX has probably the biggest gap in talent between first and last place of almost any sport.

Having less riders would allow time to follow them more. Not just on the track, but in the pits. Do interviews between races. Maybe add in a pit stop or something unique.

Adding more riders takes away from being able to do that.

Just my opinion.
Porch32
1/11/2018 6:51am
The big thing that UFC has the edge on over supercross is the fact that the can actually talk shit and run their mouths, due to the fact that the biggest events are on PPV. Theyre allowed to swear and say whatever they want, where as SX riders are forced to say "paybacks a b-word" since were on fox sports. I wish we could be like UFC in that sense, but safe to say id be pissed if I had to pay $60 to watch a race
1/11/2018 6:51am
Not to mention, the questions they interview riders with are absolutely dumb and do not help the fans or sport grow
1/11/2018 6:54am
Like ken roczen, why is no one else as confident as him? look at what he does for moto his instagram is a show. Sure its not all real feelings or just attention, BUT WHO CARES IT WORKS. Imagine if we had all riders with that confidence? Everyone would be on the edge every weekend, Look KR didn't win this weekend, Mcgregor lost, BUT GUESS WHAT they are still promoting the hell out of the sport with that confidence, something I think SX really needs more of on social media.
tcallahan707
1/11/2018 7:02am
TXDirt wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
Not when 10 have a legitimate shot at the podium. And maybe 5 can really win. It’s not uncommon to be into lappers by lap two...
Not when 10 have a legitimate shot at the podium. And maybe 5 can really win. It’s not uncommon to be into lappers by lap two or three.

I just don’t think that’s a real good look for the sport and obviously if you are getting lapped on lap three you are not bringing much to the show. Not trying to be disparaging to anyone. Just being realistic.

SX has probably the biggest gap in talent between first and last place of almost any sport.

Having less riders would allow time to follow them more. Not just on the track, but in the pits. Do interviews between races. Maybe add in a pit stop or something unique.

Adding more riders takes away from being able to do that.

Just my opinion.
I think you are exaggerating the gap a bit. Being lapped in 3 laps would imply a 15-20 second difference in lap times.
tcallahan707
1/11/2018 7:03am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2018 7:03am

I personally like good racing, not reality show style drama. But hey, whatever floats your boat man. There are plenty of options on TV to choose from.
BobbyM
1/11/2018 7:13am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2018 7:15am
They tried all that shit. Wanna make scooter racing better? it starts at the local level. Sell more bikes that are affordable get more locals racing and the sport both am and pro will grow.
Fourth_Floor
1/11/2018 7:16am
Hyping up Ken and Coopers beef would do absolutely nothing b/c Cooper can only hang with Ken for what, 2 turns? It's probably a good thing most casual fans don't know the reason he tried to race Roczen hard b/c he looked a bit silly getting passed by a guy that hasn't raced in almost a year.
tingo
1/11/2018 7:59am
Spydee wrote:
Star of the sport right here: [img]https://s.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/GLOB/crop/388x254+0+12/resize/1028x675!/format/jpg/quality/85/https://s.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/7b02d8d916ac61367a08394b8da98ea1/203746995/Screen+Shot+2016-04-27+at+5.32.06+PM.png[/img]
Star of the sport right here:

News flash, bro: Dungey retired.
Spydee
1/11/2018 8:05am
Isn't she CR22 tho?
1/11/2018 8:07am
Good racing is produced through drama, hate to say it but it motivates riders
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
1/11/2018 8:26am
If that's what sells seats Peick should get a commission check

kburgie
1/11/2018 8:36am
If people on here didn't always mention Conor McGregor, I would have no idea who he was. I'd never heard of him before Roczen wore his suit last year.

We live inside our own circles. There are incredibly talented people out there who are the best in the world at their sport, hobby, job, whatever, who you've never heard of. Whatever they do makes someone out there psyched, and that fan thinks their hero should get more recognition.

I love motocross. I'm bored to death by road racing, flat track, BMX racing, rally racing, off-road truck racing, etc. I think you have to like the sport before you can get into the stories that happen backstage.

When it comes to personalities, we have a bit of a problem in that it's a young sport. They're like olympic gymnasts: They're teenagers who have focused on one thing since childhood. They don't know anything besides their sport. They've never been anywhere besides the motocross track. Riders like Dungey, Villopoto, Reed, Carmichael, become really interesting personalities near the end of their careers because they're 25 years old, have some life experience, and have become more confident in who they are as a person and not just a rider.
Phantom 661
1/11/2018 10:12am
The minute they start using "fake" drama as the primary means of entertainment and racing becomes secondary then you can kiss the purity of this sport goodbye.
Racing will produce it's own drama naturally
without searching for a bunch of Johnny Macho Idiots and giving them a bike and script.

Did WP and VF have a fake beef out on the track?
How about a young Barcia roosting the asterisk worker and downed rider? Just two quick examples but there was nothing fake about it. Let the drama stem from the racing.... not the other way around.

The OP mentioned having less reserved riders and more animated macho (I've got a beef) riders. Then how are we to interpret a certain race in Minneapolis between RV and RD who had no beef against one another? They raced each other clean the whole way yet the crowed roared so loud it damn near brought the stadium down!

I'm not against a little smack talk or conflict between riders. However, if you mess too much with the real thing then you're going to get what you (want?) deserve..... Fake racing.

Post a reply to: Stars of the sport?

The Latest