Steel city nostalgia

FIREfish148
Edited Date/Time 7/5/2021 5:21pm
Who else misses watching races at this place? I wish I had got the chance to visit it before it was shut down. It had some of the coolest obstacles and some everything on it. Big jumps, off camber stadium whoop/jumps, jumps into turns, up/downhill sections, etc. It was for sure one of my favorite tracks to watch on tv next to Glen Helen. Partly I’m sure due to all the championship excitement that went on there but also the track looked fun.

|
MZ193
9/22/2020 10:59pm
There's been quite a lot of battles for the championship titles. As a KX 125 lover, i can't think to Mike Brown's race.
Good times.
They should delete Indiana or WW Ranch and bring back this. I don't know why but Steel City remember me a little of High Point
Meister
9/23/2020 5:02am
Man I miss riding that place. I miss everything about it. The beetle with two fronts. The cool dinner place down the rd on the right heading back toward delmont. The Italian place by the chevy dealer. The table top section gen the booter after it heading back toward the finish. The two iconic step ups in the middle. The euro double..

Went for a quad national once too. Got dared to streak the pro pits. I was hammered, so it happened.

I thought it was bad when kenworthys left but when steel city left it stung a little.

One time I crashed triple tripling in the whoop things they had fkr a bit. Bent my left bar damn near to the fork. Had only lost 1 spot when I got up so I tried to finish the last two laps in 2nd for pa state championship points. Last lap jumping the last big table top my bar snapped off in my left hand on the face.. I somehow didn't endo city and I actually rode to the finish.

When I was like 10 I was there with a couple local pros so I had free roam of the pro pits. I met all the guys n have a ton of pics. Mc, rc, me, all those guys in that area were so chill.
500 Mike
9/23/2020 5:02am
I loved that place..... to spectate at the pro races and race as an amateur, back in the day. I grew up only 20 minutes from there. Lot's of good memories.
AH387
9/23/2020 5:08am
Ya that place was really sweet. Seeing now, being a big grassy field is actually pretty wild. So ya, it's not ever coming back.

The Shop

alphado
9/23/2020 5:26am
I remember watching TP199 doing Freestyle on Mike Jones' ramps when he was 14 and racing amateur. That was a cool track.
Kryan5
9/23/2020 5:31am
This pic was a few years ago. A lot of fun times there and I didn't even grow up that close. Won my first Regional there. Got knocked out my first time there(pro race festivities, not racing). First time for my wife and I away from our first born.

ga_pike
9/23/2020 6:21am
Grew up racing there. One of my absolute favorite tracks.

How cool would it be to lay just put out banners and run it as it sits without ripping it up?
mxr746
9/23/2020 8:13am
Loved racing there, over shot the last table on the row of tables before that long step down jump.
mxnick
9/23/2020 7:58pm
Miss that place. One of, if not the single best track where you watch the entire race from one spot. Watched Doug Henry get his championship there in ‘93 and ‘94, and probably attended 15-20 nationals there over the years. It was a great spot.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
9/23/2020 8:20pm
Grew up in Texas but this was one we tried to make it to every year if we could. Watched some amazing battles, but the top ones that come to mind are MC/Emig battling for the title and Ryno snapping his chain and pushing his bike up the hill right in front of us.

Funny enough, High Point and Steel City where the two tracks that convinced me I would never be a pro. I was one of the fastest in my region but then I got to watch RC at High Point going WFO down the rollers on his 80, and TP199 doing nac nacs, can cans and lazy boys on the tabletops at High Point. I was about the same age and just thought, na, I ain't doin that. I'm not racing those guys. (Keep in mind, this was before youtube so I knew they were probably much faster than me, but I had no freakin clue until that summer.)
agn5009
9/23/2020 8:24pm Edited Date/Time 9/23/2020 8:27pm
I've raced Steel City many times. Many great memories there from attending my first national with my dad to attending with buddies later on. Walking around the party side with my buddies when I was about 14 years old and seeing many girls removing their shirts Laughing

The slip n slide on the back half of the track was always interesting to watch as a teen aged kid. Hopping the fences to the pro pits from the woods was exciting.

I did have a pretty bad injury over the table top section in the middle of the track. That sucked, but man you felt like a boss every lap you made it through cleanly.

Honestly, its my favorite track I've ever ridden behind Unadilla. It got so rough but it was a blast.

It was cool being a kid back then and being in the pro pits. I got a lot of cool memorabilia stored away. Two of the coolest is McGrath gave me his cross bar pad and signed it after I told him he was my favorite rider and Larocco giving me his goggles after a race. He saw me standing outside his rig and said he'd talk to me after the race as he had to go get ready. After the race I was walking through the pits and he saw me. He rode over to me and handed me his goggles and said I didn't forget, stop over. I stopped and talked to him for a bit before he started signing autographs. He was awesome.

Oh, and cant forget about Pastrana and Mad Mike Jones hitting the freestyle jumps at Mikes house right by the track. My dad is friends with a former multi time GNCC champ who knew Mike so we got to eat catered dinner at his house one year the night before a national. Lots of pros were there. Many great memories there.
MasonMan
9/23/2020 8:26pm
Was right on the fence when Ronny broke his Femur, Have pics as he landed and crashed and the Helicopter out.

Anther note; think the year before When Ronny, Wardy were leaving had a bet who could get to the airport first. We were in line (On the street out) and here comes Ronny across the yards going through bushes and small trees to pass all the cars. second later here comes Wardy following him. It was easy to see them as it was a foot awaySilly

Ya, Thats not going to happen anytime soon
MasonMan
9/23/2020 8:34pm Edited Date/Time 9/23/2020 8:37pm
agn5009 wrote:
I've raced Steel City many times. Many great memories there from attending my first national with my dad to attending with buddies later on. Walking around...
I've raced Steel City many times. Many great memories there from attending my first national with my dad to attending with buddies later on. Walking around the party side with my buddies when I was about 14 years old and seeing many girls removing their shirts Laughing

The slip n slide on the back half of the track was always interesting to watch as a teen aged kid. Hopping the fences to the pro pits from the woods was exciting.

I did have a pretty bad injury over the table top section in the middle of the track. That sucked, but man you felt like a boss every lap you made it through cleanly.

Honestly, its my favorite track I've ever ridden behind Unadilla. It got so rough but it was a blast.

It was cool being a kid back then and being in the pro pits. I got a lot of cool memorabilia stored away. Two of the coolest is McGrath gave me his cross bar pad and signed it after I told him he was my favorite rider and Larocco giving me his goggles after a race. He saw me standing outside his rig and said he'd talk to me after the race as he had to go get ready. After the race I was walking through the pits and he saw me. He rode over to me and handed me his goggles and said I didn't forget, stop over. I stopped and talked to him for a bit before he started signing autographs. He was awesome.

Oh, and cant forget about Pastrana and Mad Mike Jones hitting the freestyle jumps at Mikes house right by the track. My dad is friends with a former multi time GNCC champ who knew Mike so we got to eat catered dinner at his house one year the night before a national. Lots of pros were there. Many great memories there.
Then you remember when Larocco's Dad was his mechanic there? He had the 125 Championship wrapped up. All he had to do was finish. His Dad left the Swing-arm bolt lose and it was pulling out. Larocco was seen kicking it back in all the way around the track. He lost the Title because of it... His Father no longer was his mechanic
JohnnyD13
9/23/2020 8:37pm
I broke my tibia there the year Ricky stepped down to race the 125. I was at the hospital with Ryan hughs. He crashed the new crf450r that just came out. Grants wheel exploded and Lost the championship to mike brown. Mad mike Jones was doing freestyle at the top of the property. I watched it all from a wheel chair, happy as hell. I have a special place in my heart for that place
agn5009
9/23/2020 9:03pm
agn5009 wrote:
I've raced Steel City many times. Many great memories there from attending my first national with my dad to attending with buddies later on. Walking around...

MasonMan wrote:
Then you remember when Larocco's Dad was his mechanic there? He had the 125 Championship wrapped up. All he had to do was finish. His Dad...
Then you remember when Larocco's Dad was his mechanic there? He had the 125 Championship wrapped up. All he had to do was finish. His Dad left the Swing-arm bolt lose and it was pulling out. Larocco was seen kicking it back in all the way around the track. He lost the Title because of it... His Father no longer was his mechanic
Ah i can't seem to recall that. I was most likely there but when Larocco was on a 125 I was probably only 5 years old. I believe 5 or 6 was my first time going. Either way, at that age I certainly wasn't understanding the particulars lol.
ATKpilot99
9/24/2020 3:54am
agn5009 wrote:

MasonMan wrote:
Then you remember when Larocco's Dad was his mechanic there? He had the 125 Championship wrapped up. All he had to do was finish. His Dad...
His father remained as his mechanic till 96 or 97 .
JustMX
9/24/2020 4:07am
MasonMan wrote:
First time I have heard that story.

Can anybody else confirm it?

The story I alway heard was that his dad just pushed him too hard sometimes and advocated for his son a bit too zealously, being somewhat abrasive in the process.

I seem to remember hearing that he was a thorough and detailed mechanic though.
ThatOneKid
9/24/2020 5:00am
I grew up 20 minutes from Steel City. First year we ever went was 2001, my dad had heard about it and took us on a whim. I remember not realizing how big it was going to be, and having to park so far away and walk in from way past the main entrance sign. Then I remember watching Ricky on a 125, Langstons wheel breaking, and all of that. We were hooked and started racing the next spring.

I spent so many Labor day weekends there and always raced amateur day which was cool. I remember rolling up to the staging area on my 65 and seeing Mike and Jeff Alessi on CR80s next to me and just being star struck. One year it was so muddy they stopped letting campers and RVs in because everyone was getting stuck, so we went and camped the night at the Delmont Walmart with a bunch of others. Such a shame the place had to go away.
Rickyisms
9/24/2020 7:10am
What was the downfall of this place? I wasn't even born yet at the time of some of these stories being told.
agn5009
9/24/2020 7:28am
Rickyisms wrote:
What was the downfall of this place? I wasn't even born yet at the time of some of these stories being told.
Gas and oil I believe.
jtmaster
9/24/2020 7:46am
Rickyisms wrote:
Environmentalists I believe.
9/24/2020 7:59am
Pastrana's last lap when he won the 125 title there was awesome. He did a trick off every jump. I can't find it on YouTube though.
JustMX
9/24/2020 8:38am
Rickyisms wrote:
jtmaster wrote:
Environmentalists I believe.
Storm water runoff and erosion control regulations that would have been expensive to be in compliance?
FIREfish148
9/24/2020 5:41pm Edited Date/Time 9/24/2020 5:46pm
Pastrana's last lap when he won the 125 title there was awesome. He did a trick off every jump. I can't find it on YouTube though.
I looked for it for a while too. I have it on VHS somewhere. Gonna have to upload it. Crazy how much of that last lap I still remember. He did a superman Indian air, heel clicker, and lazy boy all in like half a lap then rode a wheelie to the finish line.
FIREfish148
9/24/2020 5:42pm
Rickyisms wrote:
I think DC said a while ago that oil was getting into a reservoir nearby so they were forced to close.
9/24/2020 6:23pm
My entire family is from southwestern pa and they’d always meet us up there for amatuer days. And pro nationals. High point at the beginning of summer and steel city at the end. Great times. Miss steel city. You can see the entire track from anywhere. We had it made back then with that place. Wish it was still operating.

greenmx5
9/24/2020 7:22pm Edited Date/Time 9/24/2020 7:24pm
Such an awesome track. If you've ever ridden it, you know the flow and feel it had. It was so fun. Wish there was a way to resurrect it. Probably the best spectator track as you could see the whole track or most of it from many vantage points.

PS fuck the EPA
lumpy790
9/26/2020 12:02pm
Steel City was the Best spectator track ever!

Post a reply to: Steel city nostalgia

The Latest