Stepping away from the sport (Average Joe edition)

DerickYZ
6/22/2020 4:19pm
When was it enough for anyone to call it quits on riding? Was it hard to walk away or take a break for a bit?

I only rode 2 times this year and honestly, I haven’t had the urge to even want to work on my bikes. I just bought a house a few months ago, and transitioning into a new part in my life at 23 years old. 2 years ago I was laying in a hospital bed with a plate and 14 screws in my wrist and after that experience I haven’t had an urge to ride. Not that I’m afraid, but I think there’s a point in life that we have to say “is it really worth it?”

I’m just looking for advice right now.
|
DPR250R
6/22/2020 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2020 4:32pm
Its not fun to ride when your mind is elsewhere and you almost feel "guilty" doing it (for whatever reason... I have gone through it all... education... job... marriage... kids). The more time you take away to get everything in order... the more fun it is when you come back.

At 23 you have plenty of time to walk away and come back when you are ready.

KTM#88
6/22/2020 4:58pm
I race at quite a high local club level and In the last 10 years I have broke my wrist in 12 places, had an operation on each shoulder due to dislocating them, broken collarbone, broken back, and most recent crash a dislocated hip and i hit my head so hard I now have double vision. I've got straight back on a bike after all my previous injuries but I'm 29 now and I've thought its just not worth it. I might have a go on a friends bike every now and then but I can't see me racing again.
sdmx
Fantasy
1120th
6/22/2020 5:04pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2020 5:06pm
I have quit more times than I can count. back, neck, shoulders, leg, wrists...new house, kids... ...just keep coming back for more fun and pain. I am not even really good or anything. It just becomes part of who you are. I know, I have been preached to that " it's not who you are, it's what you do" but still can't quit for very long.
yz25
6/22/2020 5:12pm
From getting married, work and having kids.. I stepped away for roughly 5yrs. Had the same signs. Didn’t care to really work on my bike, looking at the weather all week to make sure I can hit the track had faded. Sold everything. Always kept an eye on the sport but not as religiously. When home and kid life settled I noticed the itch start easing back. Had my run with injuries also when I was riding.. so I decided to buy a mnt bike. That was it! Not sure why it was a mnt bike ride that ignited my craving. I’m strictly a motocross guy, no trails. I had a dirt bike a few months later. Been riding for almost 3years now. Feels like I enjoy it more now than I ever have. The break made a world of difference and I’m sure my wife/kids, with there support helped as well. Married with 2 little girls, it is good to actually do guy things. Lol.
Long story short, riding will be waiting when you get back. But watch out. You may like it more than before. Good luck.

The Shop

6/22/2020 5:14pm
Word of wisdom, no matter what you do, don't sell your riding gear. Keep it, the replacement cost if you wish to ride again is, well you add it up.
DerickYZ
6/22/2020 5:28pm
DPR250R wrote:
Its not fun to ride when your mind is elsewhere and you almost feel "guilty" doing it (for whatever reason... I have gone through it all...
Its not fun to ride when your mind is elsewhere and you almost feel "guilty" doing it (for whatever reason... I have gone through it all... education... job... marriage... kids). The more time you take away to get everything in order... the more fun it is when you come back.

At 23 you have plenty of time to walk away and come back when you are ready.

That’s where I’m at. My girlfriend and I have 2 dogs (basically kids 😂) and her daughter. I can’t for see spending on motocross especially when house work comes up. I have 2 bikes now that I own out right, so selling one and keeping my YZ and sit on it for a couple months and sell it if I don’t ride it more than 5 times.

Especially with my financial goals to pay off my Ecodiesel, then pay off the house with the money I save a month from the truck payment to pay the house off. Want to move within the next 5-7 years and rent my house out now. That’s the plan anyway
DerickYZ
6/22/2020 5:30pm
yz25 wrote:
From getting married, work and having kids.. I stepped away for roughly 5yrs. Had the same signs. Didn’t care to really work on my bike, looking...
From getting married, work and having kids.. I stepped away for roughly 5yrs. Had the same signs. Didn’t care to really work on my bike, looking at the weather all week to make sure I can hit the track had faded. Sold everything. Always kept an eye on the sport but not as religiously. When home and kid life settled I noticed the itch start easing back. Had my run with injuries also when I was riding.. so I decided to buy a mnt bike. That was it! Not sure why it was a mnt bike ride that ignited my craving. I’m strictly a motocross guy, no trails. I had a dirt bike a few months later. Been riding for almost 3years now. Feels like I enjoy it more now than I ever have. The break made a world of difference and I’m sure my wife/kids, with there support helped as well. Married with 2 little girls, it is good to actually do guy things. Lol.
Long story short, riding will be waiting when you get back. But watch out. You may like it more than before. Good luck.
Wow, what a perspective!

I just can’t risk getting hurt. Plus I’ve had more bike troubles this year than I ever had with the few times I’ve rode. I don’t know if it’s a sign or something. My YZ’s powervalve pin fell out 1 month ago, now I’m just starting to get into it. Just don’t have the fire like I used to.
yeroc281
6/22/2020 5:41pm
46 here, got back into after about a ten year hiatus 3 summers ago. I only race mid Ohio Vintage on a 96 cr250 two stroke and also ride practice days. I really not interested in sitting around during regular race weekends to ride the same amount of laps that I would on a practice day. I only have three goals when I race vintage 1 don’t get lapped 2 don’t get last 3 don’t crash. Just have fun and don’t take unnecessary risks. It will always be in my blood. Good luck on whatever you choose.
1stSSPZ
6/22/2020 5:42pm
Stepped in and out of the mx scene 5 times now in the last 50 years (63 now). Took last year off, gets tougher to come back each time. Harder when you feel your skill set slipping away...
DynoDan22
6/22/2020 5:55pm
You're 23. Get on your feet financially and family-wise. Buckle down for a few years and accomplish those goals you want to accomplish. When you get the itch (if you do) you'll be in a great place to do it right and you'll enjoy it so much more. I quit when I was in college and took 15yrs off. I came back and I'm enjoying it now more than I did when I was young. I didn't think that would be possible, but for me it is. I think it's a smart move to step away for a bit, set goals and come back if and when you're ready. Best of luck!!!
chasetwo79
6/22/2020 6:04pm
I started riding at 5 years old. I raced at every level up to A and ProSport and by 24 I quit because I knew I wasn’t going to step it up any more than that, that being half way in trying to ride that speed would get me hurt, and that I’d just be upset not doing something I loved to the best of my abilities. College was done, no one was paying the race bills anymore and I was tired of chasing sponsors.

I took almost 12 years off. I only rode here and there when I’d visit my dad, maybe 2-3 times a year. I didn’t even watch races anymore and I knew a ton of the riders in that period personally. I was just done. Spent.

In the downtime, I got heavy into martial arts and now I do a ton of competition jiu jitsu. If I hadn’t quit riding i would have never found that and I love it almost as much as dirt bikes. It was refreshing starting from scratch at a sport and now I’ve gone from being a noob to pretty good over the years.

Last summer, at 36 I pulled the trigger and bought a 450 that was a few years old to see how I felt. I fucking loved it, bought a brand new Husky 450 and haven’t looked back. I’m loving being able to get better again and am looking forward to racing against people in my age group now.

My point is, if you’re feeling burned out, take a break. Sell your stuff, but keep a set of gear handy. You may even find something else you love or learn. That’s what life is all about.

But don’t stray too far, I promise you the urge will come back and then you’ll be all in again.

Best of luck!
6/22/2020 6:06pm
55 in a month. Started at age 5. Laundry list of surgeries. Lifetime participant. Never lost the magic for me. Ride every weekend and base my life around moto. If you found something better than living moto life please share because I never have.
skypig
6/22/2020 6:30pm
55 in a month. Started at age 5. Laundry list of surgeries. Lifetime participant. Never lost the magic for me. Ride every weekend and base my...
55 in a month. Started at age 5. Laundry list of surgeries. Lifetime participant. Never lost the magic for me. Ride every weekend and base my life around moto. If you found something better than living moto life please share because I never have.
Amen Brother.

57 in a week.
Like many: forced away from Moto at times by career etc. Now over compensating.
Tending towards Supermoto, and Road Racing with the easier fitness requirements these days.
And Mountain bikes due ease of access to great tracks. (MX tracks are few, and highly “regulated” in Australia.)

Motorcycles are dangerous and expensive. Especially racing MX. If I was happy to leave it behind, I would.
It would feel like giving up on life to me.
Alex.434
6/22/2020 6:32pm
Lots of different riding out there.. .mix it up mate. My wife and I both ride, A LOT, and we shift focus between MX, dual sport, street riding, trackdays/roadracing and supermoto. Mix in a little flat track here and there, a desire for a trials bike, maybe a couple jet skis (water moto) and we're always rotating around. Keeps things fresh.

I hadn't ridden my MX bike for 6-12 months at times, because I'll be off riding something else, then get back on the MX bike and am all fired up.
brocster
6/22/2020 6:32pm
Don’t sell your gear or eat too much, you’ll be back @ 25 if not sooner.

Back it down and enjoy the ride...
duckdog77
6/22/2020 6:38pm
Now 32 came back to riding after 12 years off. At 19 I broke my leg in the beginning of my apprenticeship to learn my craft as an automotive painter. Buckled down and stepped away to focus on my career. Finally at 31 I was financially stable, built the house my wife and I wanted on some acreage and it was time to fill the garage. I now enjoy moto more than ever and probably faster than ever. I did have a minor set back (broken wrist) early this year. But at 32 with a stable career and income it wasn’t as bad as at 19 with no income and a broke leg. I’m back on the bike and back at the gym. Moto now keeps me in shape and eating healthy. Whether I ride once a week or once a month I want to feel good on the bike so it keeps the dad bod off! I race harescrammbles once a month no more no less. Ride behind the house when ever time allows. Spent my first fathers day at the track this weekend!

All in all I’d do it the same way over again. I enjoy the sport more than ever. I’m taking time to learn the sport. proper riding technique, bike set ups, training. Things I never thought of before.

Racer142
6/22/2020 6:48pm
At 23 I bought my first house. The day I was at to move in I decided to go riding. The house isn't going anywhere right? I broke my femur in 4 places and had to have emergency surgery. 6 weeks later to the day I rode the same track and jumped the same jump. I'm 30 now and I still ride every chance I get. Some years are better than others. The last two years I probably spent 30 plus weekends riding. This year I've maybe rode 6 times due to a career change.

My point is only you have the answer of what's worth it. My bike is still my happy place and has been since I was a kid. I've slowed myself down and don't take many risk anymore and I'm I'm with that. I honestly wouldn't be as happy without my bike.
DerickYZ
6/22/2020 6:55pm
duckdog77 wrote:
Now 32 came back to riding after 12 years off. At 19 I broke my leg in the beginning of my apprenticeship to learn my craft...
Now 32 came back to riding after 12 years off. At 19 I broke my leg in the beginning of my apprenticeship to learn my craft as an automotive painter. Buckled down and stepped away to focus on my career. Finally at 31 I was financially stable, built the house my wife and I wanted on some acreage and it was time to fill the garage. I now enjoy moto more than ever and probably faster than ever. I did have a minor set back (broken wrist) early this year. But at 32 with a stable career and income it wasn’t as bad as at 19 with no income and a broke leg. I’m back on the bike and back at the gym. Moto now keeps me in shape and eating healthy. Whether I ride once a week or once a month I want to feel good on the bike so it keeps the dad bod off! I race harescrammbles once a month no more no less. Ride behind the house when ever time allows. Spent my first fathers day at the track this weekend!

All in all I’d do it the same way over again. I enjoy the sport more than ever. I’m taking time to learn the sport. proper riding technique, bike set ups, training. Things I never thought of before.

This is pretty much my plan. I want to get out of the sport for a few years to pay off my financials, then roll all of that into savings and some into paying the current house off. Then hopefully be able to move to wear I have some acreage (10-20 modestly) and enjoy the view while renting out the house I’m in now to pay my future mortgage unless I get a steal on backed taxes lol
rongi#401
6/22/2020 7:09pm
From the time I was 15-19 I was dead set on turning pro, when I turned 20 I discovered drugs alcohol and loose women. When I was 25 I bought a new bike and dabbled In riding here and there but my heart wasn’t in it still. Now i just turned 30 and recently fell in love with the sport again and even with a recent severe foot injury I plan on riding and racing as much as possible until my hair turns grey. Sometimes it takes a decade to realize what it is that makes you tick. Take all the time off you need. It definitely is not worth it at all if your heart isnt into it. Just like all things in life
Mossy
6/22/2020 7:10pm
Racer142 wrote:
At 23 I bought my first house. The day I was at to move in I decided to go riding. The house isn't going anywhere right...
At 23 I bought my first house. The day I was at to move in I decided to go riding. The house isn't going anywhere right? I broke my femur in 4 places and had to have emergency surgery. 6 weeks later to the day I rode the same track and jumped the same jump. I'm 30 now and I still ride every chance I get. Some years are better than others. The last two years I probably spent 30 plus weekends riding. This year I've maybe rode 6 times due to a career change.

My point is only you have the answer of what's worth it. My bike is still my happy place and has been since I was a kid. I've slowed myself down and don't take many risk anymore and I'm I'm with that. I honestly wouldn't be as happy without my bike.
I'm with you on that.

In my opinion, you're only in your 20's once. We heal so fast. Get out there and have fun. Maybe take a year off, go once every two months or something, but to wait until you're almost 30? Pinch

We change so much throughout our 20's, I think in a couple years you'll have the itch again.

I just turned 24 and can't get enough, then again I haven't been riding since i was a young kid like most people on here.

My money is kind of tight, but I can always get money back. I'm moving out of my house this weekend and renting it out, and looking to get another one in about a year or so while making a career change.

Weather I spend a couple grand this year on moto or not will not effect my life plans, and it's my main source of fun Laughing I love this shit and at least for now I won't wince at spending money on this sport. It pulled me out of a major rut in my life when I was about 20/21, so I owe the sport Smile

I personally feel if I quit riding now, when I am in my 40s and 50s I will regret not enjoying my youth to its capabilities.

Hopefully I helped with some insight. Also I don't have a girlfriend or kids, so this is coming from a single guy. Grinning

Kyle978
6/22/2020 7:11pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2020 7:12pm
I began racing at 5 years old, and did so without any breaks until I was 21. Reality hit me, I sold all my bikes except for 1 and began to figure out how I will build a stable life for myself.

I am 30 now, and since then I have bought and sold 7 bikes. I get the urge to ride, buy a bike, have it for 3-6 months and either get injured or the fear of getting hurt doesn’t make it worth it.

I have sacrificed a lot in the last 9 years to move forward professionally and build a stable life, and I can’t seem to justify riding a dirt bike regularly.

Cycling and MTB racing have become my new drug. I am able to ride and train without loading up, minimal maintenance and less time investment to go riding. I can sneak in a 3 hour ride at the crack of dawn and still have a full work day.

I think there comes a time where we have to weigh out what the risks are physically, emotionally and financially to ride and race regularly. I am sure one day it will make more sense for me and I will be able to ride and moto again guilt free.
VetMX.com
6/22/2020 7:16pm
It comes and it goes. If you sell everything, you don't make much money so better to keep it and look at it while drinking a beer in the garage. Eventually you will want to get back on and everything is the same as when you were dialed in and stopped. Life is cyclical. You will be back.
FWYT
6/22/2020 7:27pm
I didn't ride through most of my 20's because I was just doing other things . . . (well, actually, I was just being an idiot!)
But I got back into it. And yeah, there's been long periods where I couldn't ride just because there wasn't the extra money. It's OK, though, you have plenty of time. Do what you gotta do. Just stay in shape or you are going to
HATE IT when you start riding again!! LaughingLaughingLaughing
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2511th
6/22/2020 7:40pm
in the last 10 years i've had so much other life events, where life is changed dramatically, that getting out even on my MTB for a few hours is hard and a little guilt comes along. Marriage, military, a couple kids, job changes, college etc. All of this takes time away from engaging in any personal hobby.

Like others here ive bought and sold a few bikes when i get the urge, get a few rides in then it sits for awhile. The last bike i had sat for almost a whole year
kage173
6/22/2020 8:27pm
The point of doing it is fun and being driven. If it's not fun and you don't feel driven then dont beat yourself up. Go get good at something else and come back when you're ready
Mr. Info
6/22/2020 8:57pm
I will be 64 in a month. 4 knee surgeries on one leg and last one was a knee replacement. No dealing with nerve issues and almost have that fixed. 3 compression fractures in my back, 3 shoulder surgeries on right shoulder, broken wrist, broken ankle and 3 concussions in 40 plus years and a pacemaker because my heart was going below 40 BPM because of a virus but still love getting up to race almost ever Saturday or Sunday.
Wife and 2 girls both 18 and over and own my home. If it’s your love you walk away when your ready or when you go meet your maker. Do whats right for you.
duckdog77
6/23/2020 3:48am
duckdog77 wrote:
Now 32 came back to riding after 12 years off. At 19 I broke my leg in the beginning of my apprenticeship to learn my craft...

DerickYZ wrote:
This is pretty much my plan. I want to get out of the sport for a few years to pay off my financials, then roll all...
This is pretty much my plan. I want to get out of the sport for a few years to pay off my financials, then roll all of that into savings and some into paying the current house off. Then hopefully be able to move to wear I have some acreage (10-20 modestly) and enjoy the view while renting out the house I’m in now to pay my future mortgage unless I get a steal on backed taxes lol
That’s what we have. 10.5 Mostly wooded acres. Built an Mx track on the acre of field and trails through out the rest. It’s worked out really well! Now I have friends with kids that come over to Ride and enjoy the property along with some riding buddies. You won’t regret it in the long run.
WFO
6/23/2020 3:57am
23 years old is not even beginning life yet. I'm 60 and walked away 3 times because of different things. I always walked back. I'll ride until I can't.
Spudnut
6/23/2020 5:16am
It will come and go, i went riding for the first time in 4ish months last weekend and the fire was instantly back lol

Don’t over think it! just take a break and ride again once you feel the itch 👍

It’ll be back don’t worry
6/23/2020 5:21am
I didn’t start until I was 18. I have raced fairly consistently ever since (I’m 46 now). In the meantime, I started a family. That just turned my race weekends into family camping trips. Suit yourself, but I’ve never found anything that replaces the rush you get sitting on the gate, nor the satisfied feeling I get when I wake up sore the next morning and realize that I gave it my all.

Post a reply to: Stepping away from the sport (Average Joe edition)

The Latest