Strategies for the short guys-Husky/KTM

bents
Fantasy
694th
11/22/2018 11:24am Edited Date/Time 11/26/2018 5:50am
I just read in the "KTM250sx vs 350" thread about a couple of short dudes and their choice of steed. Put me in that category, 5'5" and 28" inseam. I have a 2018 Husky FC350 and love the bike but dang it is it tall (as are all modern mx bikes). E-Start sure helps but I still feel like I sit on it more than in it b/c I am so far from the ground. I found a 2 prong solution at AOMC (great website-just made my first online order), with a Zeta lowering link and Husky does offer a short seat for their line, so I ordered both, but won't know how they feel or work as winter will have me wondering for the next 4 months.

Has anyone used either the Zeta link or a Ride Engineering link for their 350? Where did you put the fork height? I'm hoping between the two I will be much closer to terra firma. Any other suggestions would be welcome.
|
Sir
11/22/2018 12:23pm
bents wrote:
I just read in the "KTM250sx vs 350" thread about a couple of short dudes and their choice of steed. Put me in that category, 5'5"...
I just read in the "KTM250sx vs 350" thread about a couple of short dudes and their choice of steed. Put me in that category, 5'5" and 28" inseam. I have a 2018 Husky FC350 and love the bike but dang it is it tall (as are all modern mx bikes). E-Start sure helps but I still feel like I sit on it more than in it b/c I am so far from the ground. I found a 2 prong solution at AOMC (great website-just made my first online order), with a Zeta lowering link and Husky does offer a short seat for their line, so I ordered both, but won't know how they feel or work as winter will have me wondering for the next 4 months.

Has anyone used either the Zeta link or a Ride Engineering link for their 350? Where did you put the fork height? I'm hoping between the two I will be much closer to terra firma. Any other suggestions would be welcome.
Have a read of these two previous posts about the same issue

//www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/2013-KTM-250-SXF-suspension-lowerin…]

//www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/17-YZ250F-For-The-Vertically-Cha…]

They may provide help/ideas for you.
ben5020
11/22/2018 12:32pm
I'm short as well and haven't really found anything yet that helps lower it. did you have your rear shock valved for the lowering link?
Zaugg
11/22/2018 12:39pm Edited Date/Time 11/22/2018 12:42pm
Having owned a 350 SX-F and being a short guy (29in inseam) my advice is leave it. I didn't shorten anything and had all kinds of fun on that thing.

You're not supposed to put your feet on the ground because you should be standing most of the time anyway... unless you're railing ruts and draggin bar thru the corners. haha

I'd worry more about how the cockpit feels (rider triangle) and getting your suspension dialed for your weight.

You can touch the ground with one leg. Essentially that's good enough to start and stop. (Remember this is a dirt bike not a Harley. No need to have both feet on the ground.)

Save your money and enjoy your bike and all the suspension travel it has to offer.

RCF
11/22/2018 1:40pm
Lowering links are worthless they make the back of the bike way too soft and throw the handling off. I went through this with my son's fiance she's only 5'3", just put a low seat on it correct springs for your weight and deal with it.

The Shop

langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
11/22/2018 1:50pm
I’d avoid the linkage arm or other means to lower the bike. Your handling will be compromised...
bents
Fantasy
694th
11/22/2018 6:07pm
Funny guy Woody.....I have had my suspension shortened in past years and I did not like that one bit. But in as much as I am leery of compromising the stock suspension, I have had lowering links on some of my Yamahas and once I got the front forks set I preferred being closer to the ground. I realize I'm not riding my 1978 RM 125 here, but I would like to feel like I could get fairly close to tippy toes with both feet. Just wondering what others have done and the success and comfort they might have found with one or more of these set ups. Some bikes actually benefit from a slightly longer link and I believe some are used at the top levels.
RCF
11/22/2018 6:18pm
bents wrote:
Funny guy Woody.....I have had my suspension shortened in past years and I did not like that one bit. But in as much as I am...
Funny guy Woody.....I have had my suspension shortened in past years and I did not like that one bit. But in as much as I am leery of compromising the stock suspension, I have had lowering links on some of my Yamahas and once I got the front forks set I preferred being closer to the ground. I realize I'm not riding my 1978 RM 125 here, but I would like to feel like I could get fairly close to tippy toes with both feet. Just wondering what others have done and the success and comfort they might have found with one or more of these set ups. Some bikes actually benefit from a slightly longer link and I believe some are used at the top levels.
I guarantee you no pro-rider are using a lower link maybe a pull link which has very little effect on the height of the bike.
kb228
11/22/2018 6:24pm
Have you guys tried growing yet
bents
Fantasy
694th
11/22/2018 7:08pm
bents wrote:
Funny guy Woody.....I have had my suspension shortened in past years and I did not like that one bit. But in as much as I am...
RCF wrote:
I guarantee you no pro-rider are using a lower link maybe a pull link which has very little effect on the height of the bike.
I'm not going to argue the point with you but I believe I remember pro circuit and JGR (both Yamaha and Suzuki) making and using slightly longer links for their bikes. And they obviously sell them as well.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
11/22/2018 7:37pm
If I were you, I’d lower the subframe and get taller footpegs. I think Alex Martin was running +20mm footpegs.

bents
Fantasy
694th
11/22/2018 7:54pm
Carlino-thought about lowering the subframe but with the composite on the Husky not sure if I can do that. I know JGR had those trick adjustable sub frames for the their Yamahas and sold them as well. The foot pegs don't get me any closer to the ground. I would like to feel closer to the ground, enough so that I can swing my leg over the bike without having to use my bike stand or anything else to keep me from constantly having to maintain perfect balance on one foot.
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
11/22/2018 8:10pm
Looking at pics of the FC350 I don't think shaving the seat is much of an option either. There's nothing there to shave!

bents
Fantasy
694th
11/22/2018 8:41pm
Well thankfully FGR01, Husky does sell a "short" seat that I did order and will give that a go before I do anything else.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
11/22/2018 8:49pm
bents wrote:
Carlino-thought about lowering the subframe but with the composite on the Husky not sure if I can do that. I know JGR had those trick adjustable...
Carlino-thought about lowering the subframe but with the composite on the Husky not sure if I can do that. I know JGR had those trick adjustable sub frames for the their Yamahas and sold them as well. The foot pegs don't get me any closer to the ground. I would like to feel closer to the ground, enough so that I can swing my leg over the bike without having to use my bike stand or anything else to keep me from constantly having to maintain perfect balance on one foot.
Yeah sorry missed the Husky bike talk.

If you talk to a suspension company like Factory Connection or Race Tech, they can lower both ends and keep the bike handleing pretty close to stock. You will give up some performance benefits but if you feel more confident, maybe you will ride faster?
Paul333
11/23/2018 2:03am
RCF wrote:
Lowering links are worthless they make the back of the bike way too soft and throw the handling off. I went through this with my son's...
Lowering links are worthless they make the back of the bike way too soft and throw the handling off. I went through this with my son's fiance she's only 5'3", just put a low seat on it correct springs for your weight and deal with it.
You do realize you are supposed to make adjustments to your suspension when using a lowering link?
Tortelli
11/23/2018 2:38am
I'm 5,8 (175 cm) and using the (KTM powerparts) lower seat on my EXC300 (XC-W in the US), dont have real issues with the seat height anymore. What also helped in my case was a suspension job which helped me set the right sag. I'm too light for the stock se pretty light at ~135 pounds.
ben5020
11/23/2018 5:01am
kb228 wrote:
Have you guys tried growing yet
When do you go on your? You’re really fucking funny
RCF
11/23/2018 5:38am
RCF wrote:
Lowering links are worthless they make the back of the bike way too soft and throw the handling off. I went through this with my son's...
Paul333 wrote:
You do realize you are supposed to make adjustments to your suspension when using a lowering link?
Yes I know how lowering links work, you know you're not supposed to jump a bike with a lowering link there's a warning that comes with them, they're intended for Trail Riders. They lower the back of the bike too much, if you push the Forks all the way up to the handlebars the bike is still not going to sit right without having the forks lowered internally.
The Op is confusing lowering link with the pull link,pull link's are used to affect the handling of the bike and don't really affect the seat height that much.

bents
Fantasy
694th
11/23/2018 6:07am
bents wrote:
Carlino-thought about lowering the subframe but with the composite on the Husky not sure if I can do that. I know JGR had those trick adjustable...
Yeah sorry missed the Husky bike talk. If you talk to a suspension company like Factory Connection or Race Tech, they can lower both ends and...
Yeah sorry missed the Husky bike talk.

If you talk to a suspension company like Factory Connection or Race Tech, they can lower both ends and keep the bike handleing pretty close to stock. You will give up some performance benefits but if you feel more confident, maybe you will ride faster?
Yes I might do that and I would hope to be more comfortable=quicker. And RCF, I sort of get what you are saying here but by that picture it is hard to tell the difference. I always assumed a longer link was a longer link, even by a few mils.
RCF
11/23/2018 6:42am
bents wrote:
Yes I might do that and I would hope to be more comfortable=quicker. And RCF, I sort of get what you are saying here but by...
Yes I might do that and I would hope to be more comfortable=quicker. And RCF, I sort of get what you are saying here but by that picture it is hard to tell the difference. I always assumed a longer link was a longer link, even by a few mils.
The one I posted is actually an adjustable one, if you look at the picture you can see an aluminum insert that can be turned to manipulate the length of the rod. The one you mentioned the pro circuit is a one-size-fits-all and like you state it is only a few millimeters longer than stock and you're not going to feel much of a difference in seat height , a true lowering link drop the back of the bike over 2 in and are not intended for aggressive riding.
Indy mxer
11/23/2018 6:48am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2018 6:49am
bents wrote:
I had the same issue on my Kawi 450. I cut the seat down. Problem solved. Much more comfortable in the turns too.
My buddy is shorter than me. He cut his seat down on his RMZ 450 and added a lowering link. He loves it and is a very fast vet rider.
bents
Fantasy
694th
11/23/2018 6:55am
bents wrote:
Yes I might do that and I would hope to be more comfortable=quicker. And RCF, I sort of get what you are saying here but by...
RCF wrote:
The one I posted is actually an adjustable one, if you look at the picture you can see an aluminum insert that can be turned to...
The one I posted is actually an adjustable one, if you look at the picture you can see an aluminum insert that can be turned to manipulate the length of the rod. The one you mentioned the pro circuit is a one-size-fits-all and like you state it is only a few millimeters longer than stock and you're not going to feel much of a difference in seat height , a true lowering link drop the back of the bike over 2 in and are not intended for aggressive riding.
Thanks and will keep this in mind.
bents
Fantasy
694th
11/23/2018 7:01am
bents wrote:
Indy mxer wrote:
I had the same issue on my Kawi 450. I cut the seat down. Problem solved. Much more comfortable in the turns too. My buddy is...
I had the same issue on my Kawi 450. I cut the seat down. Problem solved. Much more comfortable in the turns too.
My buddy is shorter than me. He cut his seat down on his RMZ 450 and added a lowering link. He loves it and is a very fast vet rider.
Indy, this is what I am after-that same feeling. If the change in seat height isn't enough I'll look to the next step, but I will keep in mind what RCF has said. Problem is I have to wait till late March/early April to find out what works! When I got the suspension lowered on my earlier Yamahas, I loved how I felt on the bike, but the suspension characteristics weren't the same, but that was a number of years ago. I would suspect that a company like Factory Connection would do an excellent job and I would feel much better. I would consider this route again as well. I think we forget how a lower bike used to feel as through the years these things just keep going up. I remember looking at a 2018 KXF 250 and I thought to myself, how the hell am I going to even swing a leg over this thing? I saw in my mind the domino effect of the bike in that row going down as I toppled over the freaking bike.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
11/23/2018 8:31am
bents wrote:
Indy mxer wrote:
I had the same issue on my Kawi 450. I cut the seat down. Problem solved. Much more comfortable in the turns too. My buddy is...
bents wrote:
Indy, this is what I am after-that same feeling. If the change in seat height isn't enough I'll look to the next step, but I will...
Indy, this is what I am after-that same feeling. If the change in seat height isn't enough I'll look to the next step, but I will keep in mind what RCF has said. Problem is I have to wait till late March/early April to find out what works! When I got the suspension lowered on my earlier Yamahas, I loved how I felt on the bike, but the suspension characteristics weren't the same, but that was a number of years ago. I would suspect that a company like Factory Connection would do an excellent job and I would feel much better. I would consider this route again as well. I think we forget how a lower bike used to feel as through the years these things just keep going up. I remember looking at a 2018 KXF 250 and I thought to myself, how the hell am I going to even swing a leg over this thing? I saw in my mind the domino effect of the bike in that row going down as I toppled over the freaking bike.
The positive about using a top notch company is that they can lower both ends and valve for similer performance. Just lowering the rear, you could raise the forks in the clamps but they might have a better plan that’s tested and proven.
jeffro503
11/23/2018 8:46am
bents wrote:
Well thankfully FGR01, Husky does sell a "short" seat that I did order and will give that a go before I do anything else.
Well Bent's......I hope your butt / tailbone are made of steel , because the stock seat was even to stiff for me. I got hit hard by mine and actually cracked my tailbone last summer. I ended up having to get a 1" taller , same density foam and cover from Guts racing. Best thing I ever did to my 125 , was that damn seat! I do see where you are coming from though , with not being very tall. I'm 6'-1" , so the taller seat actually helped me I think.
CG118
11/23/2018 11:04am
I had my suspension lowered on my 350, by TooTech. Great value. I’m 5’7” and have a 31” inseam. Love the way it handles.

Bruce372
11/23/2018 11:25am
Husky sell a OEM seat that is 20mm lower than stock
I think the bike sits high on the front end stock, but to shorten the forks, you need to get the air side cartridge rod shortened and re threaded
bents
Fantasy
694th
11/23/2018 11:34am
bents wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
Well Bent's......I hope your butt / tailbone are made of steel , because the stock seat was even to stiff for me. I got hit hard...
Well Bent's......I hope your butt / tailbone are made of steel , because the stock seat was even to stiff for me. I got hit hard by mine and actually cracked my tailbone last summer. I ended up having to get a 1" taller , same density foam and cover from Guts racing. Best thing I ever did to my 125 , was that damn seat! I do see where you are coming from though , with not being very tall. I'm 6'-1" , so the taller seat actually helped me I think.
Yes, well that seat does look thin and Bruce below noted the difference in heights-thanks Bruce. I didn't find the stock seat too hard but that seat cover sure is grippy. Maybe it will get my old ass to stand up more Jeffro! Lots of options here and appreciate all the advice. CG118-I will look into Too Tech and how they do it because as Bruce says the air side has to be modified. Didn't think of that. Maybe I will go spring conversion and get it shortened at the same time and keep the stock air internals, stock.

Post a reply to: Strategies for the short guys-Husky/KTM

The Latest