Supercross Futures Oakland GoPros

JM485
Figured I would throw up my gopro videos from the weekend and give a short recap:

https://youtu.be/RoViYdrSBXI

Overall the day was insanely fun, it was great to finally be able to ride a track like this and see what it was like! For the record, I'm one of those "sketchy" C-class riders that Vital warriors are convinced have no business on a track like this, and somehow I miraculously survived and even had fun!

Seriously though, up until this weekend I had never ridden anything like this and I wasn't sure how it would go. Luckily I'm on my bmx bike a few times a week at the local park so timing jumps really isn't too big of a deal for me, and this was by far one of the most fun tracks I've ever ridden. I love the technical challenge and having to be precise without over-riding the track, it was a learning curve and I think it shows since I feel like I got better and felt more comfortable every time I went on the track. Being able to experiment and try different rhythms was really cool for me and brought me back to bmx racing as a kid, I get bored on regular motocross track sometimes just because it's the same jumps every lap with no options for variety. I wish I could ride a track like this more often, I felt like there were some other jumps I could do but with only 4 laps of practice then jumping right into the races it was hard to try things. You'll see that I sent a few different rhythms throughout the day, but doing them for the first time in a race is a little sketchy and risky.

I struggled with starts on the 125 all day. That bike is slow as hell and it shows on the starts, but I also don't ride it much so I know my technique is seriously lacking. Riding one on a track like this was challenging but also really fun, you had damn well better be in the right gear or you're gonna have a rough time getting over the nest jump. Major respect to the guys that could do it well back in the day, definitely not point and shoot like a 250! My starts on the 250 were a lot better, I pretty much just always lined up on the outside to avoid the inevitable carnage in the first turn (I gotta go to work on Monday, plus I'm a puss) and it seemed to work out alright.

Positives:
1. I think they did an awesome job with the track. Taking out the major triples but leaving the rhythm sections relatively intact was perfect. The whoops were slightly smaller than Saturday night as well, but still challenging for everyone, especially as the day went on. Finish like was also significantly smaller, which was also probably a good idea or nothing smaller than a 250 would have been hitting it.

2. Getting done at around 6pm was nice. I was home by 7 and was even able to race my final main event. After hearing that A2 got done at 9pm I was planning on just skipping my last race since I was the second to last moto, but they ran through everything really efficiently.

3. Racing in the stadium! This is pretty obvious but it was cool as hell, definitely something I won't forget. Plus being behind the same gate that the pros were on just 12 hours earlier was pretty awesome.

4. Track prep was great all day. Wasn't really muddy in the morning and never really got super dried out by the end of the day, very well managed.

Negatives:
1. Some of these kids in the 125 class were nuts!Laughing Bro coming in hot and smashing my pipe for a rousing 15th place in the heat race was a major highlight of my day. . . Pinch It's kind of funny, I literally only placed as well as I did in that class because I stayed upright the entire main event. Guys were just splatting themselves everywhere and I'd just ride right by at my less that stellar paceSilly

2. Parking in the pits was an absolute shit show, as was coming in and out of the stadium. We seriously don't need to have people go through a F-ing metal detector and wait in line like it's a football game every time they go in and out to watch a race, it was a nightmare and people were pissed.

Overall, awesome day and I would highly recommend giving it a try!
|
JM485
2/1/2019 6:21am
Shameless bump, hopefully this will help some people know what to expect in the coming weeks.
urbanlift707
2/1/2019 6:30am
Thanks, looked fun. I was all set to do it until I checked the times for the final motos from A2 and Arizona. Being that I live 5 hours north of Oakland I decided to ride club instead and be able to make it home at a reasonable time. Sounds like this one went a little quicker
2/1/2019 6:30am
That track looks really fun. Full sx tracks are brutal on my joints. Amateur sx tracks are too weak. This looks like a happy medium.
Raceday993
2/1/2019 6:38am
Good to see this! I'm going to the Indy Futures and I'm hyped.

The Shop

2/1/2019 7:08am
Good shit, Josh! You rode well!

Also, instance justice for that #53 guy @6:30 who took himself out trying to take you out!
BobPA
2/1/2019 7:34am
The tracked looked very fun, nicely done.

Looks like traction was all over the place, I figured it would have been a hard packed mess.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
2/1/2019 7:42am
You rode well my friend. Looked like a couple of people in your C class were sandbagging a little bit.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
2/1/2019 7:50am
Damn dude, waited until the last main on the 125 to bust out the triple out of the corner before the finish line? Beast!!
Stuntman949
2/1/2019 8:03am
Thanks for the upload man. The GoPros never do justice to the technicality

Did anyone else flinch on the very first double?
JM485
2/1/2019 4:32pm
Raceday993 wrote:
Good to see this! I'm going to the Indy Futures and I'm hyped.
Good luck man and have fun! My number one goal was to stay out of the carnage and just enjoy the experience, so if you go in with that attitude I don't think you can go wrong.

Bryan, the funny thing is I didn't even realize how bad it was until I watched the footage after the fact. I should have kicked that dipshit in the head as I went by.Dry

Bob, they did a hell of a good job on the track. I was expecting the same thing but somehow they made it nice, traction was never an issue.

Motoxxx, the sandbagging is unreal. I'm not innocent in that regard either but I only race moto maybe 4-5 times a year and pretty much hover around the 5-10 spot on national level events like this, so I kind of have a hard time justifying going up to B. That's why I get a laugh when I see guys on here referring to C class like its a bunch of spodes, easy to see who actually races and who's just a keyboard expert in those threads.

Matt, it's kind of funny I did that section different pretty much every race I think. When you're out there riding it's hard to know what's faster and what's slower sometimes, but then when you watch the videos after it's painfully obvious which rhythm is quicker. It also kind of came down to getting more comfortable as the day went on, it's hard to hit new jumps during a race and the 4 laps of practice they gave us wasn't exactly sufficient.

Stuntman, that first corner and double was honestly pretty damn sketchy. That's the main reason why I lined up way outside every race, I didn't want to deal with the disaster that happened on the inside pretty much every single moto. It's a fine line between rolling it when you didn't have to and landing on someone because you cut it too close, and I usually try to air in the side of caution for something like that. I'm not gonna be racing pro any time soon so who GAF if you finish a couple spots back.
Gandorlf
2/1/2019 6:56pm
This looks amazing man great riding too. We have 2 SX tracks here in the UK that I know of and I'm too puss to go to either of them. Really cool video! Keep up the good work.
2/1/2019 7:11pm
I just skipped through the vid, will watch it when I have more time, but it looked awesome.

Highlights so far include;

KTM rider that takes inspiration from JA.
YZ125 over jumping going all out for the pass.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
2/1/2019 10:17pm
That was awesome! Thanks for posting Smile

Post a reply to: Supercross Futures Oakland GoPros

The Latest