Supermini specs

skypig
Edited Date/Time 7/10/2019 1:41pm
Excuse my ignorance

I have some idea that superminis can be modded almost without limit, even capacity is dictated by design of the doner bike before the 150? Limit is reached. (Or is 150 for 4t with a lower limit on the 2ts?)

I’d assume that in any stock class, the KTM would be the weapon of choice by a fair margin.
In the SM class in Vegas, there was a lot of green up front -because of the mods allowed, any brand can be made competitive?
|
BobPA
10/16/2017 4:08pm
I think the two strokes are allowed up ti 112cc. Kawi usually has a great supermini team. I was surprised to see blue and yellow bikes though, they are getting pretty winded
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
10/16/2017 4:10pm
I believe the cc limit is 112 (two stroke). Team Green and Pro Circuit have been making super mini motors out of the KX for decades now and have it down pretty damn well.
Dtat720
10/16/2017 4:13pm
Supermini world revolves around the KX100. The YZ's can be potent with the right rider, but that same rider on a KX is still in better position. KTM's just arent there yet. I see super fast kids try them every year and a few months later they are back on green or blue.
samcampbell
10/16/2017 4:32pm
Dtat720 wrote:
Supermini world revolves around the KX100. The YZ's can be potent with the right rider, but that same rider on a KX is still in better...
Supermini world revolves around the KX100. The YZ's can be potent with the right rider, but that same rider on a KX is still in better position. KTM's just arent there yet. I see super fast kids try them every year and a few months later they are back on green or blue.
The KTM's aren't there yet? The second moto at Monster Cup in the supermini class was won by someone on a Husqvarna supermini...

The Shop

Dtat720
10/16/2017 5:10pm
Dtat720 wrote:
Supermini world revolves around the KX100. The YZ's can be potent with the right rider, but that same rider on a KX is still in better...
The KTM's aren't there yet? The second moto at Monster Cup in the supermini class was won by someone on a Husqvarna supermini...
So go to the rest of the races throughout the year. Its a sea of green with specks of blue then some orange and white. Why? Better platform. Ask mini dads. The bike to watch as a kx killer is the TM 85. That little ripper is going to make waves as more get sold. It shreds.
skypig
10/16/2017 5:11pm
I wish I was currently a 15yo millionaire. They sound like the best engines I’ve ever heard. (Biased 2 stroke guy) Crisp and sweet!
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/16/2017 5:18pm
Jace Kessler.
10/16/2017 5:32pm
Dtat720 wrote:
Dtat720 wrote:
So go to the rest of the races throughout the year. Its a sea of green with specks of blue then some orange and white. Why...
So go to the rest of the races throughout the year. Its a sea of green with specks of blue then some orange and white. Why? Better platform. Ask mini dads. The bike to watch as a kx killer is the TM 85. That little ripper is going to make waves as more get sold. It shreds.
What races you going to cause here in the pacnw it's dominated by ktm's.
Cygrace74
10/16/2017 5:53pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2017 5:53pm
Working at a Kawasaki and KTM dealership we see every customers kid go KTM 50, 65,Kawi 85, 100, and then back to KTM, Husky, or Yamaha for 125's into big bikes. If Kawasaki updated the kx65 and made a 125 the brand would possibly double but they don't see it. Customers go back to Husky, KTM, and Yamaha because they have a 125 and then stay with the brand they picked. The new KTM 85 was supposed to be great but we still have sold a dozen kx 85's and 100's and I believe only 2 KTM 85's all year.
piscokid
10/16/2017 6:36pm
Dtat720 wrote:
Super Mini 2 at the ranch this year

24 KTM/Huskys
14 Kawis
2 yamaha

Super Mini 1 at the ranch

19 KTM/Huskys
16 Kawi
4 Yamaha

The Yamaha's are not even a factor in super minis ( 0r 85 classes as well). Perhaps it will change with LeBlanc on the Star racing team, but those things are non existent in the mini classes around Ohio. It appears from the numbers above that is the case at the national level as well.
10/16/2017 6:39pm
You telling me if I ride a KTM in stock class im gonna be out front all of asudden?
c0ncEpT
10/16/2017 7:33pm
The Kawi's are fast for sure. Go back and watch the MEC race an watch Reynolds pull everyone on the straights. HP advantage for sure.
BobPA
10/16/2017 7:34pm
Dtat720 wrote:
piscokid wrote:
Super Mini 2 at the ranch this year 24 KTM/Huskys 14 Kawis 2 yamaha Super Mini 1 at the ranch 19 KTM/Huskys 16 Kawi 4 Yamaha...

24 KTM/Huskys
14 Kawis
2 yamaha

19 KTM/Huskys
16 Kawi
4 Yamaha

The Yamaha's are not even a factor in super minis ( 0r 85 classes as well). Perhaps it will change with LeBlanc on the Star racing team, but those things are non existent in the mini classes around Ohio. It appears from the numbers above that is the case at the national level as well.
Easy with the facts there bro
Braaaphole
10/16/2017 8:13pm
Dtat720 wrote:
Dtat720 wrote:
So go to the rest of the races throughout the year. Its a sea of green with specks of blue then some orange and white. Why...
The TM has looked really impressive. I'm really considering one for my kid next year, they are pricey though.
TymeMoto
10/16/2017 8:21pm
I loved hearing the kids wring those supermini engines out at MEC. Most of those kids were absolutely FLYING, too. Holding it wide open around the outside lines of the track and using the entire gearbox depending on what section they were on.

Wish Mumford wouldn't have gotten hurt so we could've seen a fuel injected crf150 one-off works bike bump bars with those 112cc smokers.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
10/17/2017 2:44am
The KX has been the bike of choice for the superminis for a long time. The 14, I think, changes made the power on par with the KTM/Husky. The KX is a lot cheaper to work on IMO than the KTM/Husky. The biggest downside to the KX is the suspension, the KTM/Husky is a little better and is more adjustable. If we were still riding minis we probably be riding green again, simply because of costs.... I have a pair or KTM minis right now at our shop, any body looking a great package deal lol?
tylermx967
10/17/2017 2:43pm
I RIDE SUSZUKI RM85 AND WANT TO GET THE SUPERMINI RM100 SOMEONE TELLED ME IT IS THE RARIST OF ALL SUSZUKI I HOAP IT DOESNT HAVE TOO MUCH POWER THAT IT GOES OVER BACKWARDS WHEN YOU LET OUT THE CLUTCH
BobPA
10/17/2017 2:50pm
sgrimmxdad wrote:
The KX has been the bike of choice for the superminis for a long time. The 14, I think, changes made the power on par with...
The KX has been the bike of choice for the superminis for a long time. The 14, I think, changes made the power on par with the KTM/Husky. The KX is a lot cheaper to work on IMO than the KTM/Husky. The biggest downside to the KX is the suspension, the KTM/Husky is a little better and is more adjustable. If we were still riding minis we probably be riding green again, simply because of costs.... I have a pair or KTM minis right now at our shop, any body looking a great package deal lol?
From what I gather the KTM has the advantage in the power plant by a good margin stock. Some kids just do not get along well the the chassis.
10/17/2017 2:54pm
tylermx967 wrote:
I RIDE SUSZUKI RM85 AND WANT TO GET THE SUPERMINI RM100 SOMEONE TELLED ME IT IS THE RARIST OF ALL SUSZUKI I HOAP IT DOESNT HAVE...
I RIDE SUSZUKI RM85 AND WANT TO GET THE SUPERMINI RM100 SOMEONE TELLED ME IT IS THE RARIST OF ALL SUSZUKI I HOAP IT DOESNT HAVE TOO MUCH POWER THAT IT GOES OVER BACKWARDS WHEN YOU LET OUT THE CLUTCH
Classic
skypig
10/17/2017 3:13pm
tylermx967 wrote:
I RIDE SUSZUKI RM85 AND WANT TO GET THE SUPERMINI RM100 SOMEONE TELLED ME IT IS THE RARIST OF ALL SUSZUKI I HOAP IT DOESNT HAVE...
Does the short bus have a tow bar?
Dtat720
10/17/2017 3:15pm
sgrimmxdad wrote:
The KX has been the bike of choice for the superminis for a long time. The 14, I think, changes made the power on par with...
BobPA wrote:
From what I gather the KTM has the advantage in the power plant by a good margin stock. Some kids just do not get along well...
From what I gather the KTM has the advantage in the power plant by a good margin stock. Some kids just do not get along well the the chassis.
It isnt just the chassis. Plug fouling, way more frequent parts replacement. One of the local fast kids here got 4 last year, not 4 months in to them, showed up at the track back on green. Kid was being flowed the ktm's, all nihilo parts, etc., back on green. Dad was tired of the hassle. Fire saled the ktm's 2500 each. My local dealer still has 14's, 15's, 16's, on the floor in ktm. Sell out of green in a few months. Maybe its the south, but orange isnt near as popular as green in the mini world
10/17/2017 3:56pm
Dtat720 wrote:
It isnt just the chassis. Plug fouling, way more frequent parts replacement. One of the local fast kids here got 4 last year, not 4 months...
It isnt just the chassis. Plug fouling, way more frequent parts replacement. One of the local fast kids here got 4 last year, not 4 months in to them, showed up at the track back on green. Kid was being flowed the ktm's, all nihilo parts, etc., back on green. Dad was tired of the hassle. Fire saled the ktm's 2500 each. My local dealer still has 14's, 15's, 16's, on the floor in ktm. Sell out of green in a few months. Maybe its the south, but orange isnt near as popular as green in the mini world
I think this is misleading - a properly set up ktm doesn't foul plugs any more than any other bike - the ignition parts are the same as used on all japenese bikes...and rods/cranks/pistons between all brands are extremely similar.

The green bikes are a well sorted out package seeing as the current bike still has roots back the the OLD kx80 - the "updates" to the engine didn't really net anything other than money savings in the powervalve department. What most kids like is the handling - and the motor can be modified to make excellent power. In the 85cc class - the kawi flat out can not compete vs a ktm in power - period. No matter the mods. But in the super class a well built kx is an excellent combo.

The KTM doesn't come showroom ready as a big wheel. This is an issue for many people and leads them towards green. It costs big bucks to add wheels and a 105 kit - and ktm's 105 kit makes the same power as their 85 does on the dyno - it's a 10-12 year old cylinder and the 85 is very current (even more so this year)
The 105 is also prone to cracked heads, blown inner head orings, and cracked cylinders - all massive negatives. The new ktm which presumably will also come with a new 105 kit (desperately needed update) will likely be the bike of choice moving forwards for most.

In the 85cc class - it's all orange and white now...by a long way. If pc and kawi didn't have the team green program - you wouldn't see any out there at the nationals.

The RM can be quite good - just not popular - and the YZ needs a massive redesign. It can pump out great HP - but it's getting really long in the tooth and no powervalve really kills it for most riders.

The TM100 is an awesome bike. Best handling once properly suspended - and box stock the engine can suit a top kid for a practice bike. It's also a good value for a supermini with big wheels and 100cc kit already on it. To get a kx super on par in the engine department you need about the consumer available PC109 package - something around 3500 if I remember.

cable
10/17/2017 5:15pm
Dtat720 wrote:
piscokid wrote:
Super Mini 2 at the ranch this year 24 KTM/Huskys 14 Kawis 2 yamaha Super Mini 1 at the ranch 19 KTM/Huskys 16 Kawi 4 Yamaha...

24 KTM/Huskys
14 Kawis
2 yamaha

19 KTM/Huskys
16 Kawi
4 Yamaha

didn't a TM win an 85 moto or overall? i remember watching a moto and being shocked.
Bennett59
10/17/2017 7:43pm
Dtat720 wrote:
piscokid wrote:

24 KTM/Huskys
14 Kawis
2 yamaha

19 KTM/Huskys
16 Kawi
4 Yamaha

cable wrote:
didn't a TM win an 85 moto or overall? i remember watching a moto and being shocked.
Masterpool won a championship on the TM
Braaaphole
10/17/2017 7:45pm
Dtat720 wrote:
piscokid wrote:

24 KTM/Huskys
14 Kawis
2 yamaha

19 KTM/Huskys
16 Kawi
4 Yamaha

cable wrote:
Ty Masterpool won Supermini 1 and Supermini 2 on a TM100 on stock bore 100cc.
Mark Stone took 2nd in Mini Sr 1 on a TM100 as well

The bikes are serious. You're going to start seeing a lot more of them, I'm very tempted to buy the 85 for my kid.
drt410
10/17/2017 8:13pm
I was under the impression that the KTM is by far the better bike but Kawasaki team green is by far the better program so people go green. Plus you can mod the bikes however you want so at the end of the day theyre all going to rip so they choose the better program.
drt410
10/17/2017 8:17pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 8:18pm
You guys ever seen an RM100.

No joke.

I think they are from around the time where Kawi and Suzuki were working together and the RMZ250 and Kx250f were the EXACT same bike.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/17/2017 8:24pm
drt410 wrote:
You guys ever seen an RM100. [img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wRNPmCP514A/hqdefault.jpg[/img] No joke. I think they are from around the time where Kawi and Suzuki were working together and the...
You guys ever seen an RM100.

No joke.

I think they are from around the time where Kawi and Suzuki were working together and the RMZ250 and Kx250f were the EXACT same bike.
That's a KX with yellow plastic and Suzuki labels.
piscokid
10/18/2017 5:12pm
piscokid wrote:

24 KTM/Huskys
14 Kawis
2 yamaha

19 KTM/Huskys
16 Kawi
4 Yamaha

cable wrote:
Bennett59 wrote:
Masterpool won a championship on the TM
Correct,

I quoted Dtat's post and my post was strictly to point out the difference in numbers of KTM/Husky vs. Kawi vs Yam.

It was not intended to be a listing of ALL the brands entered (There was 1 or 2 Suzuki's as well) as well as Masterpool's TM.

Post a reply to: Supermini specs

The Latest