Supplemental insurance

Goon126
Ive got health insurance but does anyone have insurance that will pay a percentage of income until your able to work again after an injury from riding mx? Thanks
|
kb228
2/27/2019 1:27am
Aflac has income insurance. Id have to look at my policy book but i believe mine is 60% of my normal pay for 6 months. Costs like $12 a week. I want to add that it HAS to be payroll deducted through your employer. You cant get it without that.
Buzzard167
2/27/2019 2:33am
kb228 wrote:
Aflac has income insurance. Id have to look at my policy book but i believe mine is 60% of my normal pay for 6 months. Costs...
Aflac has income insurance. Id have to look at my policy book but i believe mine is 60% of my normal pay for 6 months. Costs like $12 a week. I want to add that it HAS to be payroll deducted through your employer. You cant get it without that.
Aflac came into my work and the rep told me if you get hurt in a motocross race they will not cover you. This was three years ago though.
kb228
2/27/2019 2:55am
kb228 wrote:
Aflac has income insurance. Id have to look at my policy book but i believe mine is 60% of my normal pay for 6 months. Costs...
Buzzard167 wrote:
Aflac came into my work and the rep told me if you get hurt in a motocross race they will not cover you. This was three...
Aflac came into my work and the rep told me if you get hurt in a motocross race they will not cover you. This was three years ago though.
Motocross is 100% covered. I directly asked my rep this before he even met with me to avoid wasting time.

The only thing that has a “motor vehicle racing” exclusion is the life insurance portion. It gets cut from like $40,000 to something smaller like $5000.

Medical and the income insurance is 100% covered.
Buzzard167
2/27/2019 4:34am
kb228 wrote:
Buzzard167 wrote:
Aflac came into my work and the rep told me if you get hurt in a motocross race they will not cover you. This was three...
kb228 wrote:
Motocross is 100% covered. I directly asked my rep this before he even met with me to avoid wasting time. The only thing that has a...
Motocross is 100% covered. I directly asked my rep this before he even met with me to avoid wasting time.

The only thing that has a “motor vehicle racing” exclusion is the life insurance portion. It gets cut from like $40,000 to something smaller like $5000.

My bad, maybe I misunderstood her.

The Shop

Kstud756
2/27/2019 5:42am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2019 5:55am
I always caution folks to not trust insurance agents and reps when it comes to this matter. I say that not because they are bad people, most agents and reps are great people, but they just don't deal with racing people but maybe two or three times in a lifetime career so they don't know all the rules. Always request the "exclusions and indemnification clauses" for whatever policy they are purchasing. I've reviewed 20-30 carriers and polices over the last 5 years in trying to make sure my coverage's are there as this whole health care situation has transpired and in most of them, I always find a "motorsport, competition of speed and skill, and any inherently dangerous activity" exclusion. In almost every case the rep or agent said it was covered and as soon I showed them this line they almost always replied "well, I learned something today, it looks like you might not be covered."

I'll say this with an *, in most cases insurance will cover most injuries that you can walk into a hospital with. It's the ones that you don't have control of how you are delivered to the hospital that this exclusion can bite you because your lifeline, ambulance, ect. paperwork will clearly say you were transported from a racetrack and that was the cause of injury. I've heard hundreds of stories over the years where the insurance covered the costs no questions asked, so the chance of denied coverage is limited, but that chance is just outside of my personal comfort zone based on how it would affect my Wife, kids, and businesses.

As I do not make a living with my racing anymore (can't really call it a living when I was), I do run the Vet classes when I race motorcycles and those pay 100% or whatever percent payback. That's income. In the state of Indiana where I reside (and most states offer some form of this) there is a high risk workman's comp policy that is pooled with the intent to cover employees and contractors that have high risk occupations they are pursing for income or future income and there is not limit on the amount of minimum income pursued. IE $100 year is just as worthy as $200K. I carry one of these polices to cover my racing, in addition to ordinary health insurance, in addition to a life insurance policy that is specific to include all the racing that I participate in. It costs me roughly $9,600 a year for these items in total, or $800 monthly.

I'm offering my experience on this topic because it's important that if I'm doing what makes me happy, that it won't fall back onto my wife to clean up the financial mess should something happen. I encourage all my moto buds to have coverage and make sure they read their policy well, certainly don't just assume.
77Moto
2/27/2019 9:15am
kb228 wrote:
Buzzard167 wrote:
kb228 wrote:
Motocross is 100% covered. I directly asked my rep this before he even met with me to avoid wasting time. The only thing that has a...

Your rep is a salesman. Of course it is covered! Everything is covered!

Ask an underwriter, or better yet an insurance adjuster, and read the exact fine print in the policy.
77Moto
2/27/2019 9:18am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2019 9:19am
Kstud756 wrote:
I always caution folks to not trust insurance agents and reps when it comes to this matter. I say that not because they are bad people...
I always caution folks to not trust insurance agents and reps when it comes to this matter. I say that not because they are bad people, most agents and reps are great people, but they just don't deal with racing people but maybe two or three times in a lifetime career so they don't know all the rules. Always request the "exclusions and indemnification clauses" for whatever policy they are purchasing. I've reviewed 20-30 carriers and polices over the last 5 years in trying to make sure my coverage's are there as this whole health care situation has transpired and in most of them, I always find a "motorsport, competition of speed and skill, and any inherently dangerous activity" exclusion. In almost every case the rep or agent said it was covered and as soon I showed them this line they almost always replied "well, I learned something today, it looks like you might not be covered."

I'll say this with an *, in most cases insurance will cover most injuries that you can walk into a hospital with. It's the ones that you don't have control of how you are delivered to the hospital that this exclusion can bite you because your lifeline, ambulance, ect. paperwork will clearly say you were transported from a racetrack and that was the cause of injury. I've heard hundreds of stories over the years where the insurance covered the costs no questions asked, so the chance of denied coverage is limited, but that chance is just outside of my personal comfort zone based on how it would affect my Wife, kids, and businesses.

As I do not make a living with my racing anymore (can't really call it a living when I was), I do run the Vet classes when I race motorcycles and those pay 100% or whatever percent payback. That's income. In the state of Indiana where I reside (and most states offer some form of this) there is a high risk workman's comp policy that is pooled with the intent to cover employees and contractors that have high risk occupations they are pursing for income or future income and there is not limit on the amount of minimum income pursued. IE $100 year is just as worthy as $200K. I carry one of these polices to cover my racing, in addition to ordinary health insurance, in addition to a life insurance policy that is specific to include all the racing that I participate in. It costs me roughly $9,600 a year for these items in total, or $800 monthly.

I'm offering my experience on this topic because it's important that if I'm doing what makes me happy, that it won't fall back onto my wife to clean up the financial mess should something happen. I encourage all my moto buds to have coverage and make sure they read their policy well, certainly don't just assume.
You're smarter than most and not easily sold. Agents will sell anything for a buck. When claim time comes, most find out they are not covered.

kb228
2/27/2019 9:22am
Buzzard167 wrote:
kb228 wrote:

77Moto wrote:
Your rep is a salesman. Of course it is covered! Everything is covered! Ask an underwriter, or better yet an insurance adjuster, and read the exact...
Your rep is a salesman. Of course it is covered! Everything is covered!

Ask an underwriter, or better yet an insurance adjuster, and read the exact fine print in the policy.
He pointed out that exact exclusion in the policy. Trust me, im dealing with an insurance company trying to fuck me over right now. I was careful to make sure moto is covered.
77Moto
2/27/2019 9:27am
From Aflacs.

COMMON-CARRIER ACCIDENT:
A common-carrier accident does not include any hazardous activity
accident or any accident directly involving private, on demand, or
chartered transportation in which a covered person is a passenger at
the time of the accident.

HAZARDOUS ACTIVITY ACCIDENT:
An accident while a covered
person is participating in sky diving, scuba diving, hang gliding,
motorized vehicle racing, cave exploration, bungee jumping,
parachuting, or mountain or rock climbing; or while a pilot, officer, or
member of the crew of an aircraft, having any duties aboard an aircraft,
or giving or receiving any kind of training or instruction aboard an
aircraft. A hazardous activity accident does not include any common-
carrier accidents.
kb228
2/27/2019 10:03am
77Moto wrote:
From Aflacs. COMMON-CARRIER ACCIDENT: A common-carrier accident does not include any hazardous activity accident or any accident directly involving private, on demand, or chartered transportation in...
From Aflacs.

COMMON-CARRIER ACCIDENT:

carrier accidents.
which policy is that from?
fourfourone
2/27/2019 10:08am
We had Aflac come into my work a few months ago. He was fairly certain MX was NOT covers. Any sort of motorsport racing excludes you.
fourfourone
2/27/2019 10:08am
remember, insurance companies main goal is to reduce payouts.
77Moto
2/27/2019 10:16am
77Moto wrote:
From Aflacs. COMMON-CARRIER ACCIDENT: A common-carrier accident does not include any hazardous activity accident or any accident directly involving private, on demand, or chartered transportation in...
From Aflacs.

COMMON-CARRIER ACCIDENT:

carrier accidents.
kb228 wrote:
which policy is that from?
Main site.
brocster
2/27/2019 11:04am
How TF do you get covered for racing then? Seperate high hazard policy? Motorcycle policy? Our healthcare in insurance system is faq’d!
fourfourone
2/27/2019 11:08am
knock on wood I've never been carted off the track in an ambulance. I have had MX related injuries, and never been denied coverage. Granted none of it was a 50k ER trip bur between back neck and hip problems, ive racked up a lot in imaging and physical therapy. Never had problem and was always open about mx with doctors
kb228
2/27/2019 11:11am
brocster wrote:
How TF do you get covered for racing then? Seperate high hazard policy? Motorcycle policy? Our healthcare in insurance system is faq’d!
Well aflac doesnt “cover” you. If you have a $50,000 medical bill for staying in the hospital, aflac only pays out a certain amount per day.

And that question is a good one. How do you get covered fully for moto?

And yes, aflac DOES cover moto.

The copy/pasted thing from 77 moto only applies to the life insurance section.
77Moto
2/27/2019 11:44am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2019 11:49am
kb228 wrote:
Well aflac doesnt “cover” you. If you have a $50,000 medical bill for staying in the hospital, aflac only pays out a certain amount per day...
Well aflac doesnt “cover” you. If you have a $50,000 medical bill for staying in the hospital, aflac only pays out a certain amount per day.

Did you miss the part where it says "ACCIDENT"
That is from the Accident Policy info right on their site.
Not Life insurance.]

In fact it references an optional added coverage:

Optional Benefit
Additional Accidental-Death Benefit Rider:
Premix
2/27/2019 12:53pm
kb228 wrote:
Well aflac doesnt “cover” you. If you have a $50,000 medical bill for staying in the hospital, aflac only pays out a certain amount per day...

Aflac dosen’t cover any type of closed course practice or racing. Have them give you the policy language. Unless they have a new product out, which I doubt.

I would rank having short and long term disability through my employer much higher than supplemental accident insurance.

Spent 10 years in the insurance industry. So many people don’t read their policies and have no idea what they’re actually paying (or aren’t) until it’s too late.

Don’t ever take the ambulance from the track and don’t ever show up in moto gear if possible.

fourfourone
2/27/2019 1:14pm
kb228 wrote:

Premix wrote:
Aflac dosen’t cover any type of closed course practice or racing. Have them give you the policy language. Unless they have a new product out, which...
Aflac dosen’t cover any type of closed course practice or racing. Have them give you the policy language. Unless they have a new product out, which I doubt.

I would rank having short and long term disability through my employer much higher than supplemental accident insurance.

Spent 10 years in the insurance industry. So many people don’t read their policies and have no idea what they’re actually paying (or aren’t) until it’s too late.

Don’t ever take the ambulance from the track and don’t ever show up in moto gear if possible.

100% I was told the same thing by Aflac. I was also told they very closely investigate what happened. Again their focus is to pay out the least amount.
kb228
2/27/2019 1:55pm
kb228 wrote:

77Moto wrote:
Did you miss the part where it says "ACCIDENT" That is from the Accident Policy info right on their site. Not Life insurance.] In fact it...
Did you miss the part where it says "ACCIDENT"
That is from the Accident Policy info right on their site.
Not Life insurance.]

In fact it references an optional added coverage:

Optional Benefit
Additional Accidental-Death Benefit Rider:
Yes, that reference is for that life insurance part. It does NOT affect the rest of the payouts. Thats right from the mouth of the aflac rep.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
2/27/2019 3:32pm Edited Date/Time 2/28/2019 4:13pm
Premix wrote:
Aflac dosen’t cover any type of closed course practice or racing. Have them give you the policy language. Unless they have a new product out, which...

You are only partially correct. I have income insurance through AFLAC. Got it at a employer I no longer work for. I told the rep that I race and it was excluded, and the rep told me that racing is excluded under the group coverage, but it is not excluded if you have an individual policy. Of course it's more expensive, but it's not gonna break the bank. I'm paying $66 per month for $3k per month...(edit: I put down week incorrectly...it's $3k/month)..short term disability policy (got a 2 week waiting period) if I'm injured, plus I have the accident policy as well for $29/month. I read the policy docs backwards and forwards and sure enough, the paycheck insurance does not exclude racing. I crash on track im getting paid.
Premix
2/27/2019 3:42pm
You are only partially correct. I have income insurance through AFLAC. Got it at a employer I no longer work for. I told the rep that...
You are only partially correct. I have income insurance through AFLAC. Got it at a employer I no longer work for. I told the rep that I race and it was excluded, and the rep told me that racing is excluded under the group coverage, but it is not excluded if you have an individual policy. Of course it's more expensive, but it's not gonna break the bank. I'm paying $66 per month for $3k per month...(edit: I put down week incorrectly...it's $3k/month)..short term disability policy (got a 2 week waiting period) if I'm injured, plus I have the accident policy as well for $29/month. I read the policy docs backwards and forwards and sure enough, the paycheck insurance does not exclude racing. I crash on track im getting paid.
The group coverage was indeed what I was referring to as many are swooped into these plans through an employer. I would love to read the policy language on the individual payer, and whether they would be considered primary when an accident happens, or secondary to any medical/short term or long disability through one’s work place. Also what medical policy are your referencing? The hospital insurance? Because Aflac doesn’t offer a true medical insurance policy.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
2/27/2019 3:50pm
Premix wrote:
The group coverage was indeed what I was referring to as many are swooped into these plans through an employer. I would love to read the...
The group coverage was indeed what I was referring to as many are swooped into these plans through an employer. I would love to read the policy language on the individual payer, and whether they would be considered primary when an accident happens, or secondary to any medical/short term or long disability through one’s work place. Also what medical policy are your referencing? The hospital insurance? Because Aflac doesn’t offer a true medical insurance policy.
I had to edit the post..the policy I was referring to as "medical" is, in fact, a policy that pays medical expenses due to a covered accident. Motor vehicle racing is listed in the definitions under hazardous activity for the accident policy, but it is not included in the policy limitations and exclusions for the accident policy.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
2/27/2019 3:57pm
Premix wrote:
The group coverage was indeed what I was referring to as many are swooped into these plans through an employer. I would love to read the...
If you want to read the policy terms PM me and I'll send them over to you...redacted of course to remove personal info
kb228
2/27/2019 4:16pm
I want to add too, i have a group policy through my employer.

My disability policy does not even mention hazardous activity or racing. Only mentions it if youre intoxicated.

I can post mine too if anyone is curious. Im not sure if it varies by state or anything like that.
77Moto
2/27/2019 6:08pm Edited Date/Time 2/28/2019 6:24pm
kb228 wrote:
Yes, that reference is for that life insurance part. It does NOT affect the rest of the payouts. Thats right from the mouth of the aflac...
Yes, that reference is for that life insurance part. It does NOT affect the rest of the payouts. Thats right from the mouth of the aflac rep.
LOL. Simply read the Aflac links that others posted. I even posted where it shows that "Life" is a separate rider to the accident policy.

Believe what the guidelines show.
Frankly, I don't give a shit what you do. Many people above say moto isn't covered as well. Maybe they read the guidelines provided?

You can see their guidelines on their site. Good luck getting paid.
MX558
2/27/2019 6:34pm
I wanted some supplemental insurance but I'm self employed and Aflac wouldn't insure me . I definitely need to find something . It would make the injuries less painful.

Post a reply to: Supplemental insurance

The Latest