Suzuki BFRC shock swap outs

Edited Date/Time 5/30/2022 5:50am
So there's a bunch of photos ML took for us at A1 plus other team shoots and there's quite a few different swap outs of the BFRC shock getting about. Can you go into more detail on this ML? Especially the Race Tech set up as I see that as the most cost effective so far for guys who want to change theirs out too. Pick up a good used older WP unit and send it off to RT. Does their unit use the standard for WP sliding reservoir piston or does it have the bladder kit?
HEP motorsports RMZ with older WP unit

HEP with kit KYB

Hanny1hunded RMZ with works Showa

Josh Hill #1 with RG3 prepped kit Showa
|
TeamGreen
1/12/2018 7:40pm
The WP body and the Black Showa are 450s. The other 2 aren't.

The WP body has all Showa internals and requires some machining.
1/12/2018 8:54pm
TeamGreen wrote:
The WP body and the Black Showa are 450s. The other 2 aren't.

The WP body has all Showa internals and requires some machining.
Thanks Manny. I was thinking the old WP setup might be some sort of Austria meets Japan in the middle of a shocking outcome. R.E the lower half
LungButter
1/12/2018 10:11pm
I thought the BFRC shock was supposed to be awesome?

Why is everyone swapping it out?
tek14
1/12/2018 10:32pm
LungButter wrote:
I thought the BFRC shock was supposed to be awesome?

Why is everyone swapping it out?
Works good on street bikes but doesn't show best potential on super cross track.
Right about now technical touch should have KYB kit shocks on sales.

The Shop

Tuna
1/13/2018 5:13am
Wut?
The 250’s don’t have the shock to begin with...
Jmicmoto13
1/13/2018 6:59am
Premix wrote:
Ohlins [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/13/237719/s1200_2FD61028_DC9E_4C49_87E0_BAFE66B0C253.jpg[/img]
Ohlins

That looks like a winner there. Always a fan of Ohlins.
MXVet261
Fantasy
4061st
1/13/2018 9:37am
Stop fearing the new technology. Remember in 2008 when Suzuki was the first to introduce throttle body FI? Everyone freaked out. Now they all have it.

The new BFRC shock is awesome technology. You can pull the valving assembly out without disassembling the entire shock. The piston pushes the oil through the valving instead of pushing the valving through the oil.

The main issue here is that there just isn't a whole lot of knowledge around it soon enough to be ready for prime time Supercross. So I think you are seeing people just switch over to known technology to get by.

By no means am I a pro or really even that good anymore, but this shock is totally fine for all us normal amateurs. I'm sure they will figure it out for pro level soon.

Race Tech has recently released all their gold valving products for the BFRC shock and I have a set on the way. I've run Race Tech for years on a dozen bikes so I'm sure it will work out good.

ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/13/2018 9:46am Edited Date/Time 1/13/2018 9:53am
MXVet261 wrote:
Stop fearing the new technology. Remember in 2008 when Suzuki was the first to introduce throttle body FI? Everyone freaked out. Now they all have it...
Stop fearing the new technology. Remember in 2008 when Suzuki was the first to introduce throttle body FI? Everyone freaked out. Now they all have it.

The new BFRC shock is awesome technology. You can pull the valving assembly out without disassembling the entire shock. The piston pushes the oil through the valving instead of pushing the valving through the oil.

The main issue here is that there just isn't a whole lot of knowledge around it soon enough to be ready for prime time Supercross. So I think you are seeing people just switch over to known technology to get by.

By no means am I a pro or really even that good anymore, but this shock is totally fine for all us normal amateurs. I'm sure they will figure it out for pro level soon.

Race Tech has recently released all their gold valving products for the BFRC shock and I have a set on the way. I've run Race Tech for years on a dozen bikes so I'm sure it will work out good.

Showa has been testing the BFRC in Supercross for around five years now and all their riders refuse to lineup with it. One rider did, as RV raced one time with it at Monster Cup, where he crashed spectacularly. The shock was off his bike following that...

The characteristics of the shock don't suit Supercross. as the shock seems to struggle with high shaft speeds...it works good in road racing with shaft speeds below 5 meters per second but not in moto with shaft speeds upwards of 10 meters per second.

Kawasaki has been testing this shock for production use for a few years now and keeps turning it away due to the negative feedback from their test riders.
Bruce372
1/13/2018 9:53am
It's pretty sad that people are scrambling to remove the only technological advancement off the new rmz because it doesn't work
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
1/13/2018 10:08am
Seems that BFRC technology might be "one step forward.....and two steps back".
1/13/2018 1:38pm
Wut?
Tuna wrote:
Never said they did. Maybe you need to tune up your reading skills. Or you could just be fishing for a bite
HenryA
1/13/2018 2:58pm
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
That looks like a winner there. Always a fan of Ohlins.
Not everytime you get to say this about Öhlins but I would assume that is one of the cheapest options too. And you will have the stock shock as a back up unit
ti473
1/13/2018 3:05pm
is that want sent Matthes over the bars?
Pool-eh
Fantasy
2875th
1/13/2018 3:24pm
Wut?
Tuna wrote:
Never said they did. Maybe you need to tune up your reading skills. Or you could just be fishing for a bite
No he's right. His reading comprehension is fine. You asked for more detail on why or which guys are ditching the bfrc shock for other units and then posted 2 Rmz 250's. Those bikes don't come with that shock hence no "ditching" of the bfrc. He's not fishing. He's just as confused as the rest of us as to why you added pictures of bikes who do not have that shock in stock form
TeamGreen
1/13/2018 3:35pm
I have lots of hours on the new Zook: it's an EXCELLENT bike. The shock is tricky and it seems to "blow thru" at the oddest times.

Here's the problem: the previous RMZ 450 shock was an amazing production cast body version of the A-Kit Showa; so, this shock IS a step backwards. I just had a discussion with a Showa tech from Japan and even he seemed VERY proud of the old shock (just now, at Houston). He seems to know that the new shock is challenging to set up. Me? I REALLY want the old shock on the new bike...and that's EXACTLY what Race Tech has done with the ShoWP. Yes, that's "ShoWP"! Showa guts in an old WP body...because the WP body fits the new frame/sub-frame junction.

I'm thinking there's an older KYB body that's fits this bike, too. I'd REALLY LIKE to try a KYB on this bike. I got to know KYB stuff really well on the early KXFs. They make excellent shocks.

When it comes to "arguing" about these things? You'd have to be a fool to argue with ML...he's seen it all. He's usually "built/rebuilt" it all. He knows this stuff. He was an Enzo Crash-Test dummy for quite a while.

I believe WP has the ability to build a REALLY GOOD & affordable shock for this thing, too.
MXVet261
Fantasy
4061st
1/14/2018 7:16am
ML512 wrote:
Showa has been testing the BFRC in Supercross for around five years now and all their riders refuse to lineup with it. One rider did, as...
Showa has been testing the BFRC in Supercross for around five years now and all their riders refuse to lineup with it. One rider did, as RV raced one time with it at Monster Cup, where he crashed spectacularly. The shock was off his bike following that...

The characteristics of the shock don't suit Supercross. as the shock seems to struggle with high shaft speeds...it works good in road racing with shaft speeds below 5 meters per second but not in moto with shaft speeds upwards of 10 meters per second.

Kawasaki has been testing this shock for production use for a few years now and keeps turning it away due to the negative feedback from their test riders.
Thanks for the feedback ML. Interesting stuff there.

So what do you think the future is for this shock? Does it go the way of the TAC fork and go away after a few years?

I really like the ideas behind it, they make sense for sure. But if it doesn't work well for high shaft speed as you say then that sort of dooms it.

Again maybe fine for people like me but you can't have a bike that pros have to change the shock to be competitive on.

1/14/2018 11:18am
Wut?
Tuna wrote:
No but you did state "there's quite a few different swap outs of the BFRC shock" and then TWO of your FOUR photos are of a bike which doesn't have the BFRC shock in the first place. You can't use examples of a bike thats no longer using something it didn't have to begin with!

You may aswell post up some pictures of CRFs or SXFs and ask why they've had the BFRC shock removed... It makes no sense.
Jmicmoto13
1/14/2018 11:54am
TeamGreen wrote:
I have lots of hours on the new Zook: it's an EXCELLENT bike. The shock is tricky and it seems to "blow thru" at the oddest...
I have lots of hours on the new Zook: it's an EXCELLENT bike. The shock is tricky and it seems to "blow thru" at the oddest times.

Here's the problem: the previous RMZ 450 shock was an amazing production cast body version of the A-Kit Showa; so, this shock IS a step backwards. I just had a discussion with a Showa tech from Japan and even he seemed VERY proud of the old shock (just now, at Houston). He seems to know that the new shock is challenging to set up. Me? I REALLY want the old shock on the new bike...and that's EXACTLY what Race Tech has done with the ShoWP. Yes, that's "ShoWP"! Showa guts in an old WP body...because the WP body fits the new frame/sub-frame junction.

I'm thinking there's an older KYB body that's fits this bike, too. I'd REALLY LIKE to try a KYB on this bike. I got to know KYB stuff really well on the early KXFs. They make excellent shocks.

When it comes to "arguing" about these things? You'd have to be a fool to argue with ML...he's seen it all. He's usually "built/rebuilt" it all. He knows this stuff. He was an Enzo Crash-Test dummy for quite a while.

I believe WP has the ability to build a REALLY GOOD & affordable shock for this thing, too.
Great info. This is the kind of stuff I enjoy reading and learning something. Thanks.
1/14/2018 12:19pm
Hey guys! Can somebody explain me the difference between the BFRC and the Ohlins TTX? It looks like Ohlins split the damping circuit. Why does the TTX work and the BFRC not?
Picture of the TTX:

motomike894
1/14/2018 12:59pm
So far my bfrc shock is working fine, but I have like two hours on it stock and only about hour on it after being revalved and sprung, the guy that does my suspension is a wizard and so he was going in blind never touching one yet, but I am very confident in anything he does and so far it seems good.

But time will tell once I can start really riding it outside lot, but the people talking about swapping it out and burning it that haven’t even ridden it just stop lol, I’m a pretty heavy guy and go faster than a large majority of the people riding and so far it’s been ok for me, hasnt spit me off hasn’t done anything funny, but like I said only have about 3 hours on whole bike and have ridden it anywhere rough yet.
1/15/2018 7:37am
I have about 13 hours on my 2018 rmz 450. I race A when i actually race. Coming from kawis i love my rmz 450 but i dont have much good to say about the rear shock. I was getting by and it was treating me alright. I sent off my suspension to a pretty reputable guy who had done great work for me in the past and he put new spring on the rear and revalved. Took it to my local track the day after getting it put back together and second lap, still just cruising i hit a tiny step up double that ive hit 1000 times and the bike sent me over the bars ended up dislocating my hip and destroying my ACL. Happened so fast i cant tell you for sure if it was the shock of just my fault but I will say im looking seriously at finding an alternative to the BFRC. From my experience it is fine when youre riding smooth but itll bottom out like a rock on you at the wrong times. ill admit my suspension knowledge is limited other than talking to people when setting up but i dont feel comfortable with the BFRC shock..
LumpDog841
1/15/2018 7:50am
I have about 13 hours on my 2018 rmz 450. I race A when i actually race. Coming from kawis i love my rmz 450 but...
I have about 13 hours on my 2018 rmz 450. I race A when i actually race. Coming from kawis i love my rmz 450 but i dont have much good to say about the rear shock. I was getting by and it was treating me alright. I sent off my suspension to a pretty reputable guy who had done great work for me in the past and he put new spring on the rear and revalved. Took it to my local track the day after getting it put back together and second lap, still just cruising i hit a tiny step up double that ive hit 1000 times and the bike sent me over the bars ended up dislocating my hip and destroying my ACL. Happened so fast i cant tell you for sure if it was the shock of just my fault but I will say im looking seriously at finding an alternative to the BFRC. From my experience it is fine when youre riding smooth but itll bottom out like a rock on you at the wrong times. ill admit my suspension knowledge is limited other than talking to people when setting up but i dont feel comfortable with the BFRC shock..
Damn, that sounds painful. Heal up!
MXVet261
Fantasy
4061st
1/17/2018 7:25am
Bumping back up as I'd like to see ML comment on some of the recent questions.

Thanks.
1/17/2018 8:42am
MXVet261 wrote:

Thanks.
Yes ML, what about the differnece between BFRC and Ohlins TTX?
Thank you!
MCB_327
1/21/2019 9:22pm
What do yall think about this. What have Yall found to work the best. I havent decided on a linkage to get.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/21/2019 9:34pm
MXVet261 wrote:

Thanks.
#434 wrote:
Yes ML, what about the differnece between BFRC and Ohlins TTX?
Thank you!
Looks like I missed answering this. Biggest difference for Ohlins TTX to BFRC is that the Ohlins unit still has ports on the piston and a shim stack, the BFRC has a piston with no ports to act as a plunger pushing the oil.
Rotaholic
1/22/2019 1:06am
MCB_327 wrote:
What do yall think about this. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/21/319796/s1200_Krooztune_RMZ_Performance_linkage_kit_3_1200x822.jpg[/img] What have Yall found to work the best. I havent decided on a linkage to get.
What do yall think about this. What have Yall found to work the best. I havent decided on a linkage to get.
Krooztune linkage is really good and a bargin, I run it at 1mm longer but they have options for 2/3/4mm that you can change the cams. I didn't rate their shock though. It sits in a drawer now. I'm now running showa a kit internals in a WP body and it's awesome!

Post a reply to: Suzuki BFRC shock swap outs

The Latest