Swamped my 2018! DUMBASS

Soo yeah I swamped my 2018 kx450f. Bike has about 30 hours on it. Took the exhaust off let it drain, popped the spark plug and air box off blew out all the water, put it all back together and flushed the oil a few times, bike started right up but now I’m getting white smoke out of the exhaust, checked the coolant it seems to be fine so I’m assuming the rings are just shot... let it idle for a minute burp the throttle an a big cloud of white smoke. Yay

So my question is can I just pop the top end off throw a new pistion and rings on it and put it back together?

|
jeffro503
9/26/2018 5:03pm
Was it running when it went under? Like , is that how it died?
jeffro503
9/26/2018 5:04pm
And are you sure it's smoke coming out...or steam?
jeffro503
9/26/2018 5:07pm
Btw...just to be safe , you may want to yard the bottom end out and flush the hell out of it. Don't let any water sit inside that motor.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
9/26/2018 5:11pm
jeffro503 wrote:
And are you sure it's smoke coming out...or steam?
x2
There's likely water in there still.

The Shop

Alec138
9/26/2018 5:14pm
A guy i know just did this to his 19 yz250f. He put the bike upside down and let it drain then he flushed everything out + new filters and plug and it started right up. Still had white smoke but after he rode it for a bit it went back to normal.
9/26/2018 5:14pm
Yes it was running when it died, puddle was a lot bigger than I thought it was gonna be tried to not let it die in the puddle and it bogged right out. I’m 99% sure it’s smoke. It wasn’t clean water it was sandy muddy water, and based off the sand that came out of my oil filter I’d say the rings took a beating. But I’m no expert and just need some help haha. I was thinking that as well but wasn’t sure if I’d need to split the cases.. Sad
kb228
9/26/2018 5:15pm
White means youre burning oil or water. Im kindof shocked you didnt rebuild the whole thing tbh
tempura
9/26/2018 5:18pm
With all the sand in there you mentioned, better to split the cases to be honest.
garagedog
Fantasy
687th
9/26/2018 5:18pm
If the motor was running and water got in the cylinder... you could have cracked piston and bent rod from the sudden hydraulic lock.
I'd remove the head at lease and take a look.
You could also flush bottom end out with diesel fuel to remove moisture.
Moto96
9/26/2018 5:22pm Edited Date/Time 9/26/2018 5:24pm
kb228 wrote:
White means youre burning oil or water. Im kindof shocked you didnt rebuild the whole thing tbh
No. Oil is blue. Water(steam) is white.

Even if you dropped it off a boat, shouldnt take but 10-15 minites to have it running fine with no damage.
I've sunk lots. Did you leave the filter in soaked with water? Leave that off while you drain and refil oil(Use some cheap shit the first time).

You dont need to rebuild anything. How could you get a bunch of sand in the engine? Are you doing the blackwater 100 or something?
jeffro503
9/26/2018 5:26pm
Yes it was running when it died, puddle was a lot bigger than I thought it was gonna be tried to not let it die in...
Yes it was running when it died, puddle was a lot bigger than I thought it was gonna be tried to not let it die in the puddle and it bogged right out. I’m 99% sure it’s smoke. It wasn’t clean water it was sandy muddy water, and based off the sand that came out of my oil filter I’d say the rings took a beating. But I’m no expert and just need some help haha. I was thinking that as well but wasn’t sure if I’d need to split the cases.. Sad
Well.....there are a lot of varibles in this , and you should always lean towards the safe side.

What did the intake boot look like when you removed the filter?

First thing is first though....flush the shit out of everything! You do not want any water sitting inside that motor! After you get it flushed , it may be wise to replace the top end , but you also want to make sure none of it made it to the bottom end either. You'll also need to clean everything from the air box to the exhaust , plus electrical connection as well.

Do it right the first time , and you won't have to worry about it. BUT.....even if the packing in your silencer is wet , it'll give you white looking smoke....which is actually steam.

Fwiw.....I only know the basics. But like I said.....flush everything first! Then figure out the damage.
9/26/2018 5:28pm
The air filter looked like I scooped up a pile of fine beach sand sand with it after I swamped it and then after I flushed the oil a few times I rode the bike for the day an then changed the oil after that ride and it was very metallic and the oil filter hand sand around it. Not a ton but enough to where I’m scetched about it.
jeffro503
9/26/2018 5:29pm
kb228 wrote:
Moto96 wrote:
No. Oil is blue. Water(steam) is white. Even if you dropped it off a boat, shouldnt take but 10-15 minites to have it running fine with...

Even if you dropped it off a boat, shouldnt take but 10-15 minites to have it running fine with no damage.
I've sunk lots. Did you leave the filter in soaked with water? Leave that off while you drain and refil oil(Use some cheap shit the first time).

You dont need to rebuild anything. How could you get a bunch of sand in the engine? Are you doing the blackwater 100 or something?
He submerged it in water , while running. It could have pulled shit through that filter. His main concern was that he may of fried the rings.
jeffro503
9/26/2018 5:33pm
The air filter looked like I scooped up a pile of fine beach sand sand with it after I swamped it and then after I flushed...
The air filter looked like I scooped up a pile of fine beach sand sand with it after I swamped it and then after I flushed the oil a few times I rode the bike for the day an then changed the oil after that ride and it was very metallic and the oil filter hand sand around it. Not a ton but enough to where I’m scetched about it.
Ok.....again no expert here , but I didn't know you actually rode it more after all this. If you are still finding sand on the oil filter.....I hate to say it , but you may need to rebuild that bike. That sand will wear on everything.
Beaz824
9/26/2018 5:35pm
I did the same to my Rmz flushed everything out changed the oil 5or6 times and put another 40hours on before I sold it. The new owner has put another 20 hours on it w no problems
9/26/2018 5:43pm
The air filter looked like I scooped up a pile of fine beach sand sand with it after I swamped it and then after I flushed...
jeffro503 wrote:
Ok.....again no expert here , but I didn't know you actually rode it more after all this. If you are still finding sand on the oil...
Ok.....again no expert here , but I didn't know you actually rode it more after all this. If you are still finding sand on the oil filter.....I hate to say it , but you may need to rebuild that bike. That sand will wear on everything.
Yeah I flushed it cleaned the air box and let the exhaust dry out an then i put it together and and it started right up the oil looked good on my last flush so then I went to the track for the day and then the next day I changed the oil to be safe because I figured there may still be a little moister in it an that’s when the oil was very metallic and I found some sand around the oil filter. Bike ran good at the track that day I rode but based on the oil I think some damage has been done to something. Was hoping for just a top end rebuilt but it’s looking like I shouldn probably split the cases..

Let’s jist say I’m being crazy and it’s just steam like some are saying would I just run it an hope the steam goes away and pray I’m not just destroying what’s already messed up?

Moto96
9/26/2018 5:48pm
jeffro503 wrote:
He submerged it in water , while running. It could have pulled shit through that filter. His main concern was that he may of fried the...
He submerged it in water , while running. It could have pulled shit through that filter. His main concern was that he may of fried the rings.
Reading his post, he rode it after swamping it with the filter full of mud.. Big mistake.

You can sink a bike in a lake and be riding in a few minutes with no damage to anything. Water doesnt hurt anything short term. Sand though.....

The air filter looked like I scooped up a pile of fine beach sand sand with it after I swamped it and then after I flushed the oil a few times I rode the bike for the day an then changed the oil
jeffro503
9/26/2018 6:06pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Ok.....again no expert here , but I didn't know you actually rode it more after all this. If you are still finding sand on the oil...
Yeah I flushed it cleaned the air box and let the exhaust dry out an then i put it together and and it started right up...
Yeah I flushed it cleaned the air box and let the exhaust dry out an then i put it together and and it started right up the oil looked good on my last flush so then I went to the track for the day and then the next day I changed the oil to be safe because I figured there may still be a little moister in it an that’s when the oil was very metallic and I found some sand around the oil filter. Bike ran good at the track that day I rode but based on the oil I think some damage has been done to something. Was hoping for just a top end rebuilt but it’s looking like I shouldn probably split the cases..

Let’s jist say I’m being crazy and it’s just steam like some are saying would I just run it an hope the steam goes away and pray I’m not just destroying what’s already messed up?

That is really tough to say. I'm no motor guru here , but if you cleaned everything up good , and keep up on ( probably 2 - 3 more than normal for a while ) on the oil changes and so forth , I'm not sure if it'll do more damage then it already has. It sounds like it definitely put some wear and tear on it. Me personally......If I'm riding a bike I can't trust 100% , that shit will always linger in the back of my mind. It may actually be 100% ok , but if I'm going to risk my neck riding it , I would want that thing as sound as good as I could get it. It's basically a judgement call on your part. If you have a local motor guru around your neck of the wood's , it might not hurt to have him check somethings out.
9/26/2018 6:08pm
jeffro503 wrote:
He submerged it in water , while running. It could have pulled shit through that filter. His main concern was that he may of fried the...
Moto96 wrote:
Reading his post, he rode it after swamping it with the filter full of mud.. Big mistake. You can sink a bike in a lake and...
Reading his post, he rode it after swamping it with the filter full of mud.. Big mistake.

You can sink a bike in a lake and be riding in a few minutes with no damage to anything. Water doesnt hurt anything short term. Sand though.....

The air filter looked like I scooped up a pile of fine beach sand sand with it after I swamped it and then after I flushed the oil a few times I rode the bike for the day an then changed the oil
I didn’t ride it with the filter full of mud.. I pushed the bike 2 miles out of the woods brought it too my shop an flushed/cleaned out the system. Now I’m getting smoke or steam out of the exhaust. Just wondering what direction I should go now
kb228
9/26/2018 6:13pm
kb228 wrote:
Moto96 wrote:
No. Oil is blue. Water(steam) is white. Even if you dropped it off a boat, shouldnt take but 10-15 minites to have it running fine with...

jeffro503 wrote:
Yep thats what i was getting at. Worn rings = oil going to burn. Sediment in water is like sandpaper
NeedMoto
9/26/2018 8:37pm
Years ago, buddy of mine bought my 2011 RMZ450. He's strictly a trail rider.

He completely submerged it in a river. He kicked it about 20 times, started right up. Never tipped it or did anything to drain it.

He proceeded to ride it for a couple more months, putting an additional 25 hrs on an already 240 hr motor. I think he finally sold it to some poor bastard.
Alec138
9/26/2018 9:00pm
NeedMoto wrote:
Years ago, buddy of mine bought my 2011 RMZ450. He's strictly a trail rider. He completely submerged it in a river. He kicked it about 20...
Years ago, buddy of mine bought my 2011 RMZ450. He's strictly a trail rider.

He completely submerged it in a river. He kicked it about 20 times, started right up. Never tipped it or did anything to drain it.

He proceeded to ride it for a couple more months, putting an additional 25 hrs on an already 240 hr motor. I think he finally sold it to some poor bastard.
Lol. I submerged my old xr100 when i was little and rode that thing till it probably had 3k hrs on it and never had one problem out of it. My dad did the oil changes every 30 rides lol. Ended up selling it and moving to a 125 2 stroke.
Yeti365
9/26/2018 9:15pm
If I were you I'd strip the entire bike down to the and every component as well, including engine and suspension.

That's just me. I'd rather have a fresh bike than neglect something.
resetjet
9/27/2018 5:14am
Ive swampe or seen swamped dozens of bikes. All were full of sand as well. Its a bitch on the 4 strokes to trail fix. Better off taking home and pulling apart.
Steadman
9/27/2018 6:02am
tempura wrote:
With all the sand in there you mentioned, better to split the cases to be honest.
This. OP, this happened to me on one of my 250F's. I stalled and got stuck in some deep sandy water. The crank vent hose (unknown to me) started to siphon the sandy water into my motor. Long story short, motor went boom 200 meters down the trail. The INTERNAL filter screen was packed full of sand. I know it sucks but take your time to do this properly.
Timo_2824
9/27/2018 6:51am
I was hydroplaning across a bay at keystone lake in college, a buddy didn't know I was on top of the water and tried to follow me across... It was 5 ft deep in the middle. He sucked Sandy lake water in through the breather hose on top of the head cover. It destroyed the cam bearings, needed a new head/cam. I believe he reused the valves, piston, rings without issue.
Donovan759
9/27/2018 7:24am
Alec138 wrote:
Lol. I submerged my old xr100 when i was little and rode that thing till it probably had 3k hrs on it and never had one...
Lol. I submerged my old xr100 when i was little and rode that thing till it probably had 3k hrs on it and never had one problem out of it. My dad did the oil changes every 30 rides lol. Ended up selling it and moving to a 125 2 stroke.
Wow. I have read some shit... but that right there.. wow.. lol
kb228
9/27/2018 8:24am
Alec138 wrote:
Lol. I submerged my old xr100 when i was little and rode that thing till it probably had 3k hrs on it and never had one...
Donovan759 wrote:
Thats just a testiment to how bulletproof those XRs were man. You could put a bullet thru the cylinder and it wouldnt die
Donovan759
9/27/2018 11:59am
Alec138 wrote:
Donovan759 wrote:
kb228 wrote:
Thats just a testiment to how bulletproof those XRs were man. You could put a bullet thru the cylinder and it wouldnt die
I had an 03 XR 80 and I completely agree. I beat the piss out of that thing for 5 years and it ran like a champ every day. That's why I've been on a Honda ever since. Obviously the race bikes aren't the same as those trail bikes, but those trail bikes just don't die. It's hard not to be a loyal fanboy after owning an XR.

Post a reply to: Swamped my 2018! DUMBASS

The Latest