Swap Moto-live – Savatgy

Crush
9/11/2019 6:32am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2019 4:45am
What are people's op on Joey... and does that change after listening to this?

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/joey-savatgy-on-the-fly-racing-sw…
|
t_baum88
9/11/2019 7:44am
Lol he whines about Eli a lot. Typical.
49weasel
9/11/2019 7:50am
Never liked him. Seems like a giant D-bag.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2866th
9/11/2019 7:54am
Don’t know what exactly it is but I’ve never been a fan. No ill wishes towards the kid just not a fan.
Casting
9/11/2019 7:57am
Was always a bigger fan of his competition, and the waitress/Hooters ordeal only added to that.

Two sides to every story I'm sure, but it's hard for me to imagine J-Mart or AC acting like that (two guys I prefer over him when they were all in the same class).

The Shop

49weasel
9/11/2019 8:01am
Casting wrote:
Was always a bigger fan of his competition, and the waitress/Hooters ordeal only added to that. Two sides to every story I'm sure, but it's hard...
Was always a bigger fan of his competition, and the waitress/Hooters ordeal only added to that.

Two sides to every story I'm sure, but it's hard for me to imagine J-Mart or AC acting like that (two guys I prefer over him when they were all in the same class).

Can you paraphrase what happened ?
I can’t stand to listen to him talk.
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2779th
9/11/2019 8:01am
I dunno what happened, I swear he used to be pretty chill back when he was on KTM. Seems like when he started making runs for championships, and suffering all those losses, he beat himself up so much and just turned into a bitter asshole. Be more like Adam, Joey
Ray_MXS
9/11/2019 8:02am
49weasel wrote:
Same. I'm not taking almost two hours of my time listening to someone I really don't like.

I did that with Webb on Osbornes podcast and it certainly didn't make me like him more.
motomike894
9/11/2019 8:06am
He is a douche bag and gets butthurt on instagram very easily as well, he must be pretty weak minded.
FWYT
9/11/2019 8:07am
Casting wrote:
Was always a bigger fan of his competition, and the waitress/Hooters ordeal only added to that. Two sides to every story I'm sure, but it's hard...

49weasel wrote:
Stuntman949
9/11/2019 8:07am
Not a fan. Can throw a hell of a paper towel though
500guy
9/11/2019 8:20am
Wa wa wa why are all the riders robots

Wa wa wa why can't Joey be like everyone else.

The kid can ride what else is there to know.
Crush
9/11/2019 8:20am
It’s a pretty rough listen.

Me thinks perhaps it’d do him some good to change his world view a bit. Helluva lot of they did this, they did that. Even if it is the case to him, it does no good to think about it, much less blast it on a pod, especially since his point on each question basically came off like: “Hey, I got a shit sandwich”

I know I’ve heard he thinks he’s kinda damned if he does or damned if he doesn’t but fuck man, Anton even seemed to try lead him away... if he plays it back and doesn’t hear it then ok.
Crush
9/11/2019 8:22am
500guy wrote:
Wa wa wa why are all the riders robots Wa wa wa why can't Joey be like everyone else. The kid can ride what else is...
Wa wa wa why are all the riders robots

Wa wa wa why can't Joey be like everyone else.

The kid can ride what else is there to know.
You might just be entering the cynical old moto
Man phase of posting here Jay but there’s an ocean between a robot with no personality and how Joey is.
Casting
9/11/2019 8:31am
Casting wrote:

49weasel wrote:
See the link from FWYT above, doubt he addressed this in the podcast, but I'll listen to it later.

Short version from the thread: Joey and others went to Hooters in 2016 after he won Hangtown 250mx and was not exactly respectful toward the waitress. Don't want to say much more because I cannot verify the details, but I waited tables in college and have respect for people in the food industry.
Moto520
9/11/2019 8:36am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2019 9:02am
He's fine. He doesn't have a ride right now and he's probably a little salty. Awesome rider and i'm sure a good dude. Probably worried about how to support himself.....
hamncheeze
9/11/2019 8:45am
He's a talented rider but obviously a bit of a head case. His moving to the Goat Farm has helped his riding, but I think the environment there has made him very very negative. Listen to him in any post-race interview for the past 4 seasons....never really happy even if he wins. I think it's a form of Stockholm syndrome at the Farm, same thing happened to Bogle down there. I'm sure having Jeannie beat you down every day starts to turn even the most positive people.

I remember way back when Joey was still on KTMs (2014) and Anderson had won the 250 West SX title, he went on the Pulp Show pretending to be JA because JA had come down with laryngitis and could not go on. Joey was hilarious, and I think he needs to find a way to get back to taking things a little more lightly.
500guy
9/11/2019 8:59am
Crush wrote:
You might just be entering the cynical old moto Man phase of posting here Jay but there’s an ocean between a robot with no personality and...
You might just be entering the cynical old moto
Man phase of posting here Jay but there’s an ocean between a robot with no personality and how Joey is.
The only thing I know for certain is Kawasaki screwed him this summer with all the bike failures.
Anton_514
9/11/2019 9:01am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2019 9:08am
Quick synopsis since I know few people will listen to a 90 minute talk between the two of us.

He explained the last Moto of the Monster Energy Cup, from gate pick to move over to the relationship between he and Tomac after. Per Joey, he was not paid a cut of the million dollars the way everyone assumed. Said with the way things played out in the months that followed he regrets the decision and would not do it again. That’s discussed 33 minutes in all the way to the the commercial break.

The second half talks about his relationship with Adam (cordial but not close friends), how it felt to have the 2020 team announcement come midway through the summer, and what he plans to do if a contract isn’t signed by Monster Cup or the three international races he is on the entry list for.

I’ll type out the key parts for a post on the site tomorrow for those that would rather read.
kb228
9/11/2019 9:01am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2019 1:07pm
A few things that stand out..

He mentioned eli never thanked him for moving over at monster cup.

He mentioned he knew all year he knew AC was moving to kawi 450 and all of his work he put in was a waste and only to help AC

Edit: joey confirmed kawasaki made the decision to get AC and Eli ready for supercross rather than going to des nations

Edit Again: after listening to it all, he comes off very bitter and sounds like hes got a case of the victim mentality. Thats not what makes champions. Also he sounded like he was elis biggest fan and was mad eli didnt give him attention.
Hudd_421
9/11/2019 9:02am
Loved him his rookie year on the JStar KTM. He didn't take no crap from anyone. Thought he was fine all through 250s and cheered for him in his rookie year, however....

I saw him liking tweets say stuff along the lines of "Fuck Kawi for letting JS go, blah blah.." Way to burn a bridge after you knew would be a 1 year contract...
hamncheeze
9/11/2019 9:18am
Hudd_421 wrote:
Loved him his rookie year on the JStar KTM. He didn't take no crap from anyone. Thought he was fine all through 250s and cheered for...
Loved him his rookie year on the JStar KTM. He didn't take no crap from anyone. Thought he was fine all through 250s and cheered for him in his rookie year, however....

I saw him liking tweets say stuff along the lines of "Fuck Kawi for letting JS go, blah blah.." Way to burn a bridge after you knew would be a 1 year contract...
I agree, when he signed the deal he had to know what the future held. AC has been Kawi's kid since forever, there was really no way they were not going to have him on a 450 and Tomac's future was set on the team as well. So for Joey, it was a 1-year audition and in SX for the most part he made the best of it. Problem is, there are not a lot of great rides left for 2020 and this has made him frustrated and salty. I'm sure after SX he thought someone would give him a 2-year deal at the money he wanted. There were some curveballs, like Brayton getting the 2nd spot at HRC and that tightened things up. At the end of the day, Joey is going to have to take the best deal left and prove himself again. No one ever said making a living racing a dirt bike was easy.....
Kyle_McNab
9/11/2019 10:04am
I mean he has valid points and showed he can be top 5. Hope he does well next year so all you idiots can quiet down. Was the best rookie and still gets trashed
creature654
Fantasy
122nd
9/11/2019 10:23am
He’s one of my favorite riders mostly cuz of his riding style, partly because everyone bitches so much about him...I don’t hate AC at all but it would definitely make me smile to see Joey punt him into the cheap seats at A1
akmx17
9/11/2019 10:33am
Kind of with him on the Eli stuff, he contradicted himself a few times explaining it though.

Was weird how they would offer him the difference and then back out like he said: "Why even say you were going to do it?"
9/11/2019 10:36am
Kyle_McNab wrote:
I mean he has valid points and showed he can be top 5. Hope he does well next year so all you idiots can quiet down...
I mean he has valid points and showed he can be top 5. Hope he does well next year so all you idiots can quiet down. Was the best rookie and still gets trashed
Is Joey good enough for a factory ride? Absolutely. The problem is after the championship contenders, there are another 10 riders that can be, and occasionally are, top 5. And there are always kids moving up that might be championship contenders. If you're basically on par with a dozen other riders, why would a team pick you over the others? You have to bring something other than the occasional podium to the table. A bad attitude, a history of choking, airing dirty laundry in the press, and bad press from off track antics aren't what teams are looking for.

Being offered a 1-year contract is a pretty obvious sign you're keeping the seat warm for someone else. He got a chance that many others didn't. Now, if a factory ride doesn't come through, what is he willing to do to show the teams he is the rider that they want?
foreman52
Fantasy
3155th
9/11/2019 10:48am
Respect for any rider that can can ride at a top tier like Savatgy. Like most, he is one of my least favourite riders on the circuit. This goes back years before he was a title contender. I have no idea why he was my least favourite, I just liked other riders more.

Based on his performance this season I believe he did an outstanding job. He definitely deserves a ride and would be hard pressed not to see him on a team somewhere.

Post a reply to: Swap Moto-live – Savatgy

The Latest