Sweet, unlikely success - tire changing

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
Edited Date/Time 5/27/2020 2:42pm
I had two new tires to fit over the weekend. Not only was I able to swap both old tires for new without pinching tubes, but I also gave the old front to my friend's son and swapped his out as well. Not a single flat in all that tire changing. That's got to be some sort of record for me!!!!
|
Motodave15
5/26/2020 9:33am
Does this mean, when I go to perris i can look for you to change out my tire's before my slow 4 laps on the vet track?
Munson'd
Fantasy
1083rd
5/26/2020 10:50am
I was going to switch out the rear tire on my xr650 this last weekend. It took me almost an hour to get the old tire off and ruined the tube with 3 holes in the process. Putting the new Tusk tire on it took forever to get on and I had to have my wife help haha. And in the process the tube looked like Swiss cheese. Waiting on a new tube now. I’ve never had that much of a struggle changing tires.
Tracktor
5/26/2020 11:37am
Always put tube in tire before mounting & remove old one with tube still in.. Makes the process so much easier. I have tire changes down to a science I just hate taking the wheels on and off........
rogers
5/26/2020 11:44am
Motodave15 wrote:
Does this mean, when I go to perris i can look for you to change out my tire's before my slow 4 laps on the vet...
Does this mean, when I go to perris i can look for you to change out my tire's before my slow 4 laps on the vet track?
Elsinore is open now until 4pm and they don't over water the track.

The OTHG club is also having a race there this Sunday.

The Shop

spimx
5/26/2020 12:03pm
Baja no pinch tire tool.

Kindov helps
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/26/2020 12:13pm
Motodave15 wrote:
Does this mean, when I go to perris i can look for you to change out my tire's before my slow 4 laps on the vet...
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope. WoohooGrinningGrinningGrinningGrinning

You wouldn't want me to. 3 in a row is an unprecedented level of success for me. I do it all: baby powder on the tube, soapy water on the bead, long tire irons with no burrs or edges... I've consulted every article, method and tire changing science known to man, and I'd say my success rate is still only about 60%.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/26/2020 12:16pm
Tracktor wrote:
Always put tube in tire before mounting & remove old one with tube still in.. Makes the process so much easier. I have tire changes down...
Always put tube in tire before mounting & remove old one with tube still in.. Makes the process so much easier. I have tire changes down to a science I just hate taking the wheels on and off........
How are you taking the tire off with the tube still in? Taking both beads off their own side first and then just pulling the rim out from the assembly? I'd like to try that sometime.
Even more confusing to me is how you can put the tire on the rim with a tube in it. Is it semi-inflated or flat? I'd love to hear your process; I'm all ears!
SrfNdirt
5/26/2020 12:16pm
I use mucho soap when removing and mounting. Leaving them in the sun helps a lot too.
Hallzilla
5/26/2020 2:05pm
SrfNdirt wrote:
I use mucho soap when removing and mounting. Leaving them in the sun helps a lot too.
These are good tips ... I even use the blow dryer in the winter, heat it up real good.

It's all technique. If your struggling. Stop, breath, take a smaller bite. Tube position is essential from the beg. Taking the extra time here will pay off later. Keep pushing the bead in on the top and bottom side continuously. You'll be surprised how much that helps. I hate changing tiresSmile
moto67e
Fantasy
2724th
5/26/2020 3:17pm
Motodave15 wrote:
This comment hit way too close to home for me.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/26/2020 3:28pm
Tracktor wrote:
Always put tube in tire before mounting & remove old one with tube still in.. Makes the process so much easier. I have tire changes down...
Falcon wrote:
How are you taking the tire off with the tube still in? Taking both beads off their own side first and then just pulling the rim...
How are you taking the tire off with the tube still in? Taking both beads off their own side first and then just pulling the rim out from the assembly? I'd like to try that sometime.
Even more confusing to me is how you can put the tire on the rim with a tube in it. Is it semi-inflated or flat? I'd love to hear your process; I'm all ears!
Hard to explain but easy to do and fast but the best way to try and explain is you take the tire off of both sides of the rim and then push the valve out of the rim and then bottom the rim out in the center of the tire and then just pull the rim out with tube still in the tire, and just reverse process for the new tire and tube.I put a small amount of air in the new tube just to set it up in the tire and then use lots of soapy water. Hard to explain but makes tire changes a breeze.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/26/2020 3:29pm
Tracktor wrote:
100% correct, I can install new tires in under 5 mins and it takes longer to take the wheels off then to change the tire.
FWYT
5/26/2020 3:45pm

Kelz87
Fantasy
1468th
5/26/2020 4:44pm
Hate changing tires.. made me appreciate how easy it is to change them on my mountain bike tho
Elbows
Fantasy
1171st
5/26/2020 7:39pm
I’m 54 and have been changing tires since I was a teenager. Once you learn the correct way it’s so easy. I use to change my buddies tires all the time for $15. They thought that was a bargain and I felt Like I was overcharging them. If your really struggling/ straining you’re doing it wrong.
motokawi818
5/26/2020 7:48pm
Tracktor wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
100% correct, I can install new tires in under 5 mins and it takes longer to take the wheels off then to change the tire.
I need a video this sounds like magic
5/26/2020 9:11pm
I bought the Baja Tire Tool and it's really nice. I'm skeptical of "stuff" but it really does make putting tires on a breeze.

For my mousse inserts, I have a Moose tire stand and 6 16" curved irons. Amazingly easy with the right tools.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
5/26/2020 9:56pm
I’d rather change tires than clean filters. Lol. I don’t mind doing filters either, I just really like changing tires. I’ve change a good 300+ over the last 10 years so I can bust them out.

On the plus side, I helped a good friends kid tonight and changed his 50 tire for him and out a new tube in. Didn’t punch the tube!
moto0852
5/26/2020 9:59pm
I'm doing both tires tomorrow....wish me luck! LOL
ctbale
5/26/2020 10:04pm
I first read that as 50th tire Smile
ns503
5/27/2020 3:49am
Tracktor wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Already posted, look up a few posts. The Dunlop one.
austin_bo
Fantasy
239th
5/27/2020 4:13am
Your experience is quite the opposite of mine from last weekend. I had to true my front wheel and remove the tire so that it would fit on my trueing stand. When I when to re-install the tire, I pinched 3 tubes... I’m pretty sure I introduced my neighbors to some new words that night.

5/27/2020 4:56am
Motodave15 wrote:
Falcon wrote:
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope. :woohoo: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You wouldn't want me to. 3 in a row is an unprecedented level of success for me. I do it...
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope. WoohooGrinningGrinningGrinningGrinning

You wouldn't want me to. 3 in a row is an unprecedented level of success for me. I do it all: baby powder on the tube, soapy water on the bead, long tire irons with no burrs or edges... I've consulted every article, method and tire changing science known to man, and I'd say my success rate is still only about 60%.
This is a funny as hell..
danman
5/27/2020 5:57am
The only time I've pinched any tubes in the last 5-10 years have been my friends! Not sure why, but it's true.
I have a different method than others though. I don't have a tire changing stand, so I do it on the floor on my hands and knees! I have 3 irons and a bead buddy.
I take off one side, then push the valve stem out. Then I take the other side off of the same side using a long tire iron and a rubber hammer. takes about 15 seconds.
Reassembly is the reverse. Most times, I put the first side on, then put the tube in, add a touch of air to the tube, then the other side starting with the rim lock. All the while I'm assembling, I kneel on the tire to keep the bead pinched together as much as I can. The last couple of sections are a bit tough, but not bad. A warm tire goes a LONG way to making it easier.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/27/2020 8:19am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I’d rather change tires than clean filters. Lol. I don’t mind doing filters either, I just really like changing tires. I’ve change a good 300+ over...
I’d rather change tires than clean filters. Lol. I don’t mind doing filters either, I just really like changing tires. I’ve change a good 300+ over the last 10 years so I can bust them out.

On the plus side, I helped a good friends kid tonight and changed his 50 tire for him and out a new tube in. Didn’t punch the tube!
I'd rather knock out my own teeth with ice skates than change tires, but here we are. WoohooGrinningGrinningGrinningGrinning
piscokid
5/27/2020 10:10am
Few videos to help:
Few videos to help:

Those guys are using the fake Hollywood stunt tires.....
JohnMatrix
5/27/2020 10:33am
Motodave15 wrote:
moto67e wrote:
This comment hit way too close to home for me.
Preach brotha!
Tracktor
5/27/2020 10:46am Edited Date/Time 5/27/2020 10:48am
Tracktor wrote:
Falcon wrote:
How are you taking the tire off with the tube still in? Taking both beads off their own side first and then just pulling the rim...
All you need for most any MX tire is two good spoons & bead buddy. 5 gallon bucket if don't have a stand. some WD-40 or such to lube beads for install....

Removal - unseat bead & take one side off. Flip and take other side off leaving rim inside tire. Push rim down fully into tire on one side and pull through bead = done

Install - put tube in tire & lightly inflate to keep shape. Pull out tube enough to install couple threads on stem not too much or tube might get pinched. Push tube back in tire & put bead into drop center of rim. Depending on where rim lock is if next to stem push bead behind lock if not just use spoon ti install bead until it's on all the way around. Then take two spoons on either side of lock and pull bead clear on opposite side and push out lock. For second bead I start just to right of lock. use two spoons & push down bead to install bead buddy. then moving left to right use one iron taking small bites and hold bead with left thumb to keep from popping back out. Continue around making sure installed bead stays in drop center. Let air out of tube if needed. as long as beads stays in drop center and to don;t push irons in to far you should be home free. Biggest learned technique is finding the small gap to slide the spoon into between rim & bead. Come around to rimlock and make sure it's push out for last part = done............

Post a reply to: Sweet, unlikely success - tire changing

The Latest