Sx needs a grid start

2/19/2018 6:59pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2018 7:01pm
RbR wrote:
In addition to holeshot devices, the expanded metal starting grid is helping riders get off the gate together. Less 'Art of the Start' is resulting in...
In addition to holeshot devices, the expanded metal starting grid is helping riders get off the gate together. Less 'Art of the Start' is resulting in more crowded first turns?
This guy might be onto sumfin’ Here!

(Not being sarcastic. Totally agree)

Grid start would be another kick in the balls to already struggling privateers.
Ted722
2/19/2018 7:01pm
DonM wrote:
3yrs....I think the way the racing has turned into a blockfest has taken away from what NASCAR was all about and the amount of change in...
3yrs....I think the way the racing has turned into a blockfest has taken away from what NASCAR was all about and the amount of change in those few years were a lot. The first race I attended was in 79 and either was at or watched every 500 since until like I said 3yrs ago...and it was the chase format that caused me to lose interest...and I know I'm not alone based on how their viewership and attendance has dropped.
+1 Probably 3 yrs since watching (any NASCAR race) flag to flag. Agree with everything you said. How about the last 30 laps? More time devoted to commercials than racing. Terrible entertainment product these days.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
2/19/2018 7:20pm
Ti wrote:
All that I know is... some of the most intense, exciting moments being at a Supercross race are the starts... every single one! Fans leave the...
All that I know is... some of the most intense, exciting moments being at a Supercross race are the starts... every single one! Fans leave the food lines, rest room lines and run to see the starts, fans stop talking to each other, look up from their phones, and parents hold their children with their hands over their children's ears... ALL eyes in the stadium are focused on the start. The starts are incredible and so intense, the sound of the bikes, the anticipation of the gate drop, the thunder of the bikes leaving the starting pad then rocketing down into the first turn is AWESOME.... and you want to take that away???????

My youngest gets so exited at the starts she shakes in my arms!!!!

For the record I went to the Texas race with 15 other fans and all the adults who know what a grid start is, said, NO to grid starts:. #NO2SXGRIDSTARTS
This.

Professional Supercross and Motocross is here for entertainment.

It's one of the reasons why the triple crown races are exciting. 3 starts are better than 1. Yes they are dangerous, but it is a risk versus reward. Make the first turn safer(wider) but don't ruin the 22 or 40 man gate.

The NFL ruined kickoffs because they were dangerous. They took one of the most exciting plays and made it irrelevant with rule changes that allow touchbacks 95% of the time.
Ted722
2/19/2018 7:55pm
Still remember this start like it was yesterday. The 17 year old rookie phenom had to go to the Semi, went with the outside gate pick for the Main, and did this. #DropTheGate

The Shop

bents
Fantasy
909th
2/19/2018 10:17pm
Lots of good points in this thread, but in the end, motocross (SX) is about everyone lining up and the gate dropping, and its on. I'm not big on the holeshot devices, or any other device that helps, but our sport is still about the gate dropping together. If you earned your way onto the gate you have the same opportunity as everyone else, factory or not. NO other motorsport has this, and I still think its cool. So, I'm for all 22, or 40 outdoors, being on the gate with max heart rate going, and dropping the hammer. Fuck that is still as cool as ever.
DonM
2/20/2018 5:06am
My last point on this subject....How good do you think the Vegas 250 race would have been last year in Vegas with a grid start...
Deja New
2/20/2018 5:12am
yz133rider wrote:
Too many races are ruined by first turn pile ups. For the 250 east guys laying on the ground before the first turn essentially theyre season...
Too many races are ruined by first turn pile ups. For the 250 east guys laying on the ground before the first turn essentially theyre season is over .
Grid start would solve this to a huge degree. It would also produce better racing by getting the top guys out together to battle for the whole race.

It would let the top guys get away from the get go. May be safer but make for one boring race unless it was reversed slows guys to the front and we all know that don’t work they tried 2 row starts at SX and the fast guys sandbagged to be on the front row.
yz133rider
2/20/2018 8:01am
Reversing the order is bush league back woods shit
aees
2/20/2018 11:21am
Ti wrote:
All that I know is... some of the most intense, exciting moments being at a Supercross race are the starts... every single one! Fans leave the...
All that I know is... some of the most intense, exciting moments being at a Supercross race are the starts... every single one! Fans leave the food lines, rest room lines and run to see the starts, fans stop talking to each other, look up from their phones, and parents hold their children with their hands over their children's ears... ALL eyes in the stadium are focused on the start. The starts are incredible and so intense, the sound of the bikes, the anticipation of the gate drop, the thunder of the bikes leaving the starting pad then rocketing down into the first turn is AWESOME.... and you want to take that away???????

For the record I went to the Texas race with 15 other fans and all the adults who know what a grid start is, said, NO to grid starts:. #NO2SXGRIDSTARTS
Really? They said no to 16min of entertainment, and instead got 20sec (or until first turn, then the main was kind of over). Sounds like a really shitty deal.

Marty, Jordan, Frenshi-boy. All was needed to get entertainment. Same week before with Tomac and a bunch of riders out.

Im sorry, but if i want 20sec excitement, i visit a dragracing events.

yz133rider
2/20/2018 11:28am
Ti wrote:

aees wrote:
Really? They said no to 16min of entertainment, and instead got 20sec (or until first turn, then the main was kind of over). Sounds like a...
Really? They said no to 16min of entertainment, and instead got 20sec (or until first turn, then the main was kind of over). Sounds like a really shitty deal.

Marty, Jordan, Frenshi-boy. All was needed to get entertainment. Same week before with Tomac and a bunch of riders out.

Im sorry, but if i want 20sec excitement, i visit a dragracing events.

Yeah agreed aees.
bultokid
2/20/2018 1:02pm
El Paso....on the gate with all and going into first turn is one of the finer pleasures in life left, please don't ruin that as well
mxgoon
2/21/2018 12:52am
The OP should never post again!

EVER!
smee113
2/21/2018 2:07pm Edited Date/Time 2/21/2018 2:09pm
1) Mass starts are a long standing tradition of dirt bike racing and have always been a key element. Changing it would be paramount to altering the fundamentals of the sport.

2) There is going to be a fastest rider every weekend, and the best way to issure a good race is by increasing the odds that a slower rider starts ahead of him. Mass starts are based on reaction time, not artifically "randomized" like a lottery system, so it's not some gimmicky way of making races more unpredictable. Gridding the start would make it easier for the fastest rider to get away early, and thus make blowouts more likely. And if Racer X's "Sign of the Lap Times" articles are any indication, the fastest rider usually wins anyways.

3) Mass starts can be chaotic, but significant injuries from them are uncommon. Picking gates on the inside, which the fastest riders have the option of taking, can significantly reduce the risk of getting caught up in a crash. I'd also note that sports like F1 and MotoGP have their fair share of chaos off the start, so I don't know that gridding would be much better. It seems to me that only rolling start races, like NASCAR, IndyCar, and GT racing adequately prevent first turn chaos, and I doubt that would ever work in Supercross.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/21/2018 3:33pm
No to grid starts. Yes to safer 1st turns.

Let's make the first turn wider and more forgiving, with less immediate entry into the Supercross obstacles. I, for one, would be totally cool with losing a few feet of start straight if it meant we can have a wider first turn. Make the first turn a 90 degree deal followed by another 90 before you drop any crazy obstacles into it. Even then, it should be whoops or a sand section to let the riders fan out a little before they go into crazy jump rhythms.
yz133rider
2/24/2018 5:17pm
They battled wheel to wheel and finished with in hundreths of a second after the staggered restart....

Post a reply to: Sx needs a grid start

The Latest