THE SPIRIT OF GLEN HELEN

line-up
4/3/2010 1:41am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 1:53pm
http://www.mx-pure.com/archive/news-20090318095900-20100403082148.htm

The GP boys will race the entire track at Glen Helen next month !

There are numerous track layout variations at the hillside venue in southern California, each with lap times between two and a half and three minutes and well in excess of the 1750 metre rule book maximum. But Youthstream president Giuseppe Luongo was adamant:

"The people in side the sport tell us that the track is very good, and if we change it too much they will say that we are destroying the tradition of our sport. The GP track will respect all of the FIM rules regarding safety such as double jumps, but we must be politically clever and stay as close as possible to the actual track. I promise you that the public will not complain !"

The willingness to turn a blind eye to the slight deviation from the rule book was confirmed by FIM MX president Wolfang Srb: "We will not break the spirit or the legend of Glen Helen."

UEM president Jean-Pierre Mougin clarified the technical questions: "The AMA has already agreed to adopt the new FIM method of noise testing in 2011, but we are currently working on a compromise for this year's race. The fuel regulations wull however be strictly enforced."

At a meeting with the teams on Friday afternoon in Bulgaria Luongo made it clear that there was no compulsion for all of the teams entered for the series to attend the US GP at such short notice, and he repeated the sentiment in the evening: "I must admit that it is my wish is to have the top 20 GP riders and a few more in each class. We already have many requests from US riders to compete and our rules only allow us to accept 40 riders."

The Italian entrepreneur also explained how the deal with Glen Helen came about: "On Thursday last week I saw on the internet what had happened in the USA (with the withdrawal of Glen Helen from the AMA National schedule). Then on Friday morning we found at the general Youthstream address, a mail from Glen Helen. We had never had any contact with them before and I still do not know what Bud Feldkamp looks like, we have only communicated by mail and phone, but by Wednesday we had an agreement. I am 50 years old next week, and this is the best birthday present. Glen Helen is one of the monuments of the sport; this is a victory for motocross."
|
RACERX69
4/3/2010 2:12am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:52pm
Looks like Srb has more respect for the tradition of the sport than Davey Coombs does.
Still can't believe DC and MX sports fu%ked this one up so bad. I hope they live to regret it!!!! The GP's get Glen Helen and we get Pala. Un-real!!!!!
jamma10
4/3/2010 3:10am
RACERX69 wrote:
Looks like Srb has more respect for the tradition of the sport than Davey Coombs does. Still can't believe DC and MX sports fu%ked this one...
Looks like Srb has more respect for the tradition of the sport than Davey Coombs does.
Still can't believe DC and MX sports fu%ked this one up so bad. I hope they live to regret it!!!! The GP's get Glen Helen and we get Pala. Un-real!!!!!
Cant believe some of you guys bag on DC so much - the Outdoor Nats are an incredible series and you guys get upset by a single change of location? There are loads of great tracks to choose from in America and my only gripe with the Nationals that they don't vary the venues more often.

On a side note, I find it ironic that Loungo is happy to waive most of the Youthstream regulations in order to secure the mighty 'Glen Helen' but has happily banished most the legendary circuits over here.
motogrady
4/3/2010 4:36am
RACERX69 wrote:
Looks like Srb has more respect for the tradition of the sport than Davey Coombs does. Still can't believe DC and MX sports fu%ked this one...

What a tool. Youthstream are the ones that started this whole "moto needs daycare shit".
The bulk of people seemed to agree.
Now you're pissed because Y/S kinda stabbed MXSports in the back, while they were
trying to implement the very things people said they want.

The Spirit of Glen Helen, right.
RideMX
4/3/2010 5:18am
RACERX69 wrote:
motogrady wrote:
What a tool. Youthstream are the ones that started this whole "moto needs daycare shit". The bulk of people seemed to agree. Now you're pissed because...

What a tool. Youthstream are the ones that started this whole "moto needs daycare shit".
Now you're pissed because Y/S kinda stabbed MXSports in the back, while they were

What a tool.

MX Sports opened the door for Youthstream to work with Glen Helen.

You are just upset because they will have a great event!

The Shop

RideMX
4/3/2010 5:19am
RACERX69 wrote:
+1
RACERX69
4/3/2010 5:36am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:52pm
motogrady wrote:
What a tool. Youthstream are the ones that started this whole "moto needs daycare shit". The bulk of people seemed to agree. Now you're pissed because...

Darn right I'm pissed. Like I've said all along,Glen Helen is outdoor MX and if anybody should've understood that, it's Davey Coombs. It's quite obvious you don't!!!
I guarantee you if they cancelled your hometown race your opinion would be different.

MX Sports' quest to sanitize the sport for TV purposes, close racing, etc.. is a real shame.
Even if that's their intent, the one track DC should've left alone for the sake of the sport is Glen Helen.
line-up
4/3/2010 5:49am
motogrady wrote:

RACERX69 wrote:
Darn right I'm pissed. Like I've said all along,Glen Helen is outdoor MX and if anybody should've understood that, it's Davey Coombs. It's quite obvious you...
Darn right I'm pissed. Like I've said all along,Glen Helen is outdoor MX and if anybody should've understood that, it's Davey Coombs. It's quite obvious you don't!!!
I guarantee you if they cancelled your hometown race your opinion would be different.

MX Sports' quest to sanitize the sport for TV purposes, close racing, etc.. is a real shame.
Even if that's their intent, the one track DC should've left alone for the sake of the sport is Glen Helen.
Your hometown race has been replaced with a BIGGER one.
Now you have all the best riders of the world competing together!
Stop crying
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
4/3/2010 6:29am
jamma10 wrote:
Cant believe some of you guys bag on DC so much - the Outdoor Nats are an incredible series and you guys get upset by a...
Cant believe some of you guys bag on DC so much - the Outdoor Nats are an incredible series and you guys get upset by a single change of location? There are loads of great tracks to choose from in America and my only gripe with the Nationals that they don't vary the venues more often.

On a side note, I find it ironic that Loungo is happy to waive most of the Youthstream regulations in order to secure the mighty 'Glen Helen' but has happily banished most the legendary circuits over here.
It's not ironic, it's "politically clever."

I don't know how anyone could be surprised by it. It's seizing an opportunity, and YS tells the FIM what it's going to do, not vice versa.

RX69, why imply that the fallout between MXSports and GH had anything to do with the "traditional" track when both sides say it didn't?
Shenzi
Fantasy
1267th
4/3/2010 6:31am
It's not ironic, it's "politically clever." I don't know how anyone could be surprised by it. It's seizing an opportunity, and YS tells the FIM what...

I don't know how anyone could be surprised by it. It's seizing an opportunity, and YS tells the FIM what it's going to do, not vice versa.

RX69, why imply that the fallout between MXSports and GH had anything to do with the "traditional" track when both sides say it didn't?
+1
RACERX69
4/3/2010 6:32am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2010 11:16am
line-up wrote:
Your hometown race has been replaced with a BIGGER one.
Now you have all the best riders of the world competing together!
Stop crying
bigger one? hmmm, yeah right!!!! I will be attending however, and am looking forward to seeing all the GP riders perform.
Racer111
4/3/2010 6:43am
It's not ironic, it's "politically clever." I don't know how anyone could be surprised by it. It's seizing an opportunity, and YS tells the FIM what...

Because Racerx69 is a whinny little bitch who seems to think he knows more than MX Sports and Bud Feldcamp who have BOTH said it just didn't work out with neither side pointing the finger. RX69, STFU already. We are tired of listening to cry like a 6 year old girl. And Yes, I have had 2 Outdoor Nationals dropped. Gainsville and Troy! I coincidently happened to live in both places at the time they were dropped. It's called change and it happens. Crying like a little school girl isn't going to bring it back. Now head out and obtain yourself a set of balls somewhere. Geez!!
Mxxer
4/3/2010 6:56am
The GH GP is replacing the British GP. The British GP was in trouble because, despite an abundance of great and worthy traditional tracks in that country (like Hawkstone Park, Farleigh Castle and Foxhill), the local promoter could not find a circuit that complied with the YS infrastructure criteria.

So the British GP has lost it's date to Glen Helen, which complies with the YS requirements even less.

The GP teams are faced with a huge additional expense in attending this unscheduled race. Luongo's response has been 'if you can't afford to go, don't bother'.

In Europe the teams/riders are paying $1350 entry fees (that's $108,000 to YS in the case of the Bulgarian GP this weekend). But YS are rumored to be waiving the entry fees if any US riders want to race GH.

They are also bending the rules re noise for US riders who wish to race Glen Helen, and probably have in terms of the sanction fee too.

What's obvious to many is that YS could care less about the GP riders and teams, what it costs them to go GP racing, and the credibility of the championship. They are instead solely interested in getting a race on US soil, well attended by US riders, whatever it costs and whatever concessions they have to make, so that they can be one step closer to taking over the nationals and bleeding them to death too.

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
4/3/2010 7:04am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2010 8:23am
Politically clever, and cynical, and I concede ironic given that those legendary British circuits couldn't qualify for the same date. I guess that's the Spirit Of Glen Helen.
Alex
4/4/2010 11:05am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2010 11:11am
FTE, YS actually had Foxhills on the callendar in 2008 untill the promoter (RHL) decided it would go elsewhere, they have no problem with it as long as it meets some basic requirements. Those requirements are not as extreme as people make out. Following the mudbath in 98 and then again in 99, its basically - ' lets not have to wade about in shit up to our elbows anymore' - other than a hardstanding paddock, Foxhills meets all the other criteria as it happens. Given that this weeks Red Bull Pro Nationals (despite being heavily promoted in the lead up) was cancelled because of a waterlogged paddock, I think you can probably see the obviouse logic in a layer of stone to park on. With a few exceptions like Bulgaria, most GP tracks are actually fairly basic set ups. As for the concessions to track length at GH they have done this at other special GP tracks too so the 1600 meters thing is only a general rule. Its maybe not quite as 'cynical' as you make out.
500guy
4/4/2010 11:21am
Alex wrote:
FTE, YS actually had Foxhills on the callendar in 2008 untill the promoter (RHL) decided it would go elsewhere, they have no problem with it as...
FTE, YS actually had Foxhills on the callendar in 2008 untill the promoter (RHL) decided it would go elsewhere, they have no problem with it as long as it meets some basic requirements. Those requirements are not as extreme as people make out. Following the mudbath in 98 and then again in 99, its basically - ' lets not have to wade about in shit up to our elbows anymore' - other than a hardstanding paddock, Foxhills meets all the other criteria as it happens. Given that this weeks Red Bull Pro Nationals (despite being heavily promoted in the lead up) was cancelled because of a waterlogged paddock, I think you can probably see the obviouse logic in a layer of stone to park on. With a few exceptions like Bulgaria, most GP tracks are actually fairly basic set ups. As for the concessions to track length at GH they have done this at other special GP tracks too so the 1600 meters thing is only a general rule. Its maybe not quite as 'cynical' as you make out.
Glen Helen's track is the only thing that meets YS standards and it seems it doesn't technically do that.

The rest of the facility doesn't meet Luongo's goals and we all know it.

This is just a big FU by Bud Feldcamp to MXsports and if history shows the future this deal will not last either.

One last thing Luongo makes what ever rules he wants and this is just proof of that.

T^he reason there is no permanent home of the British GP is everyone who tries one loses their ass.
Alex
4/4/2010 11:50am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2010 11:53am
Lots of current venues dont meet YS 'goals' that doesnt meen they cant have a race it just means YS want them to work towards bettering them. I think youve been mislead with all the hype about so called 'YS requirements', they dont all have facilities like Bulgaria. You wanna take a look at Loket or lierop theyre pretty basic. Solid parkings about as fussy as YS get. BTW the reason there isnt a pemanent home for the British GP is because the only two venues that have proved capable of achieving a crowd above the 'break even figure' either dont have planning - (matterley) or are seen as a risk with the weather and/or have been tricky to deal with (foxhills)

PS dont rule out a comeback for foxhills ;0)
The Rock
4/4/2010 12:45pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2010 2:22pm
Alex wrote:
Lots of current venues dont meet YS 'goals' that doesnt meen they cant have a race it just means YS want them to work towards bettering...
Lots of current venues dont meet YS 'goals' that doesnt meen they cant have a race it just means YS want them to work towards bettering them. I think youve been mislead with all the hype about so called 'YS requirements', they dont all have facilities like Bulgaria. You wanna take a look at Loket or lierop theyre pretty basic. Solid parkings about as fussy as YS get. BTW the reason there isnt a pemanent home for the British GP is because the only two venues that have proved capable of achieving a crowd above the 'break even figure' either dont have planning - (matterley) or are seen as a risk with the weather and/or have been tricky to deal with (foxhills)

PS dont rule out a comeback for foxhills ;0)
Alex there is no room for the truth in this discussion. :-) It is nice to have a Brit speaking to the situation who is obviously closer to it than we are in the US

Good post by the way!
oshow
4/4/2010 1:05pm
To hell with YS.

Post a reply to: THE SPIRIT OF GLEN HELEN

The Latest