The AMA/FIM/Gallagher Sucks Again

Edited Date/Time 3/23/2019 11:42pm
20 minutes after the incident and no decision was announced. TV audience has no idea who won the race.

TV Cameras catch Gallagher talking to Kehoe before a decision is announced.

Yet, he was able to penalize the poor guy in the LCQ as he came off the track after a 5 minute moto.

This is not a good look for a sanctioning body.
|
brlatm
3/23/2019 10:33pm
In before the Big Chief clips you! RIP my friend.
chad_111
3/23/2019 10:35pm
Maybe he wants to give the news directly to the team/racer before giving it to the broadcast team. It’d be pretty unprofessional for the racer to find out from the reporter what his official penalty is.
TymeMoto
3/23/2019 10:38pm
Gallagher has ruined this race. How can they end the broadcast without declaring the winner?

Someone posted the rules on twitter. The penalty is the loss of 2 positions in the final race results plus 2 additional points. However, the rules official has the ability to override give a warning if no positions were gained or if it was determined to have been an accident.

So Gallagher has to talk to both team managers before he can make a decision? This is insubordination. Make a decision.

As the OP mentioned, he didn’t have too much trouble taking a kid out of the main event after the 250lcq... stop letting the factories influence the outcome, John! Be a man and do your job.
Crossup
3/23/2019 10:39pm
chad_111 wrote:
Maybe he wants to give the news directly to the team/racer before giving it to the broadcast team. It’d be pretty unprofessional for the racer to...
Maybe he wants to give the news directly to the team/racer before giving it to the broadcast team. It’d be pretty unprofessional for the racer to find out from the reporter what his official penalty is.
Well somebody had to tip off Ricky in the booth. RC has missed passes live on TV, so there's no way he was thinking about Marv's pass from beginning of the race. Then suddenly at the end comes up with a "oh he's going to be docked points"

The Shop

3/23/2019 10:39pm
chad_111 wrote:
Maybe he wants to give the news directly to the team/racer before giving it to the broadcast team. It’d be pretty unprofessional for the racer to...
You mean like being asked on the podium by the trackside reporter to review the film on live camera and saying that's the first you've heard of it?

Nah, that would never happen.

After all, this is a professional sport with black and white rules.
Dust601
3/23/2019 10:42pm
I just can’t comprehend how it takes so long for such a simple situation.
Akira
3/23/2019 10:44pm
I wanna think they're just waiting to finish press conference and get riders back to truck or hotel to enforce the rule-book, that or KTM has it deep in AMA's throat. The penalty sucks but live by sword ... They wasted no time with JMart incident last year. Please AMA don't be so blatantly obvious that you're only making things worst. We've enough with shitty tracks and oversize bikes.
Meister
3/23/2019 10:47pm
Being an ama referee in the past (on an amateur level), that guy makes refs look like shit. Worse then a crappy ump. There's a book with the rules in it. Follow it. Simple.

The lcq was tricky solely due to the little acceleration heading off track, but I didn't see a gain or an advantage. The moment he completely let off and looked over to verify a clean re entry point would appear to me as if rules were followed.

Marv.. so simple a 6 year old could have made the determination before the end of the broadcast.
3/23/2019 10:52pm
Meister wrote:
Being an ama referee in the past (on an amateur level), that guy makes refs look like shit. Worse then a crappy ump. There's a book...
Being an ama referee in the past (on an amateur level), that guy makes refs look like shit. Worse then a crappy ump. There's a book with the rules in it. Follow it. Simple.

The lcq was tricky solely due to the little acceleration heading off track, but I didn't see a gain or an advantage. The moment he completely let off and looked over to verify a clean re entry point would appear to me as if rules were followed.

Marv.. so simple a 6 year old could have made the determination before the end of the broadcast.
100% agree.

The LCQ issue is a judgement call.

Marv's brain fart is not.

If you can make a decision on the LCQ before the end of the race, the call on Marv should have been waiting for him at the finish line.
logan_140
3/23/2019 10:54pm
In an nfl game are we going to wait hours to announce the winner? No the refs are going to challenge it and we will know the winner in a few minutes.. same with any other sport. Smh
bigjam
3/23/2019 10:54pm
20 minutes after the incident and no decision was announced. TV audience has no idea who won the race. TV Cameras catch Gallagher talking to Kehoe...
20 minutes after the incident and no decision was announced. TV audience has no idea who won the race.

Yet, he was able to penalize the poor guy in the LCQ as he came off the track after a 5 minute moto.

2 weeks from now they will make a decision but will say the orange bike will be docked 2 positions and the red and green bike move up one
gnarwhip
3/23/2019 10:57pm
But he docks the one guy from Europe in the 250 lcq immediately without a review. Ok.
Texas Built
3/23/2019 10:57pm
20 minutes after the incident and no decision was announced. TV audience has no idea who won the race. TV Cameras catch Gallagher talking to Kehoe...

Marv won. Penalty is only points.
westeast
Fantasy
5th
3/23/2019 10:58pm
What happened to the team of race stewards who discuss these issues right away?
3/23/2019 10:59pm
gnarwhip wrote:
But he docks the one guy from Europe in the 250 lcq immediately without a review. Ok.
Privateer.

They don't count...or write checks to the AMA every year as an "Industry Member"

His only hope was if he had been riding a Harley.
3/23/2019 11:00pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2019 11:01pm
Marv's penalty is open-and-shut.

It is clearly spelled out in both the written offense and the respective penalty in the book. No jumping. 2Position+2Points. It is insanely simple, and there is not even any grey area to consider. Even Marv watching on podium made it clear he knew he had violated the book.

5 sec decision. If you are in a leadership position, be a leader
blackdiamond
3/23/2019 11:04pm
100% agree. The LCQ issue is a judgement call. Marv's brain fart is not. If you can make a decision on the LCQ before the end...
100% agree.

The LCQ issue is a judgement call.

Marv's brain fart is not.

If you can make a decision on the LCQ before the end of the race, the call on Marv should have been waiting for him at the finish line.
This ^^^
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
3/23/2019 11:05pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2019 11:05pm
After reading the rules again I think it is saying it’s 2 positions with the respective points and purse if a position wasn’t gained. It’s the positions gained plus an additional 2 if there were gains. So, 2 spots is the base penalty in other words.
VRR7
3/23/2019 11:05pm
All riders might as well jump on red cross from now on if this is how AMA handle the matter !
3/23/2019 11:06pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2019 11:09pm
731chopper wrote:
After reading the rules again I think it is saying it’s 2 positions with the respective points and purse if a position wasn’t gained. It’s the...
After reading the rules again I think it is saying it’s 2 positions with the respective points and purse if a position wasn’t gained. It’s the positions gained plus an additional 2 if there were gains. So, 2 spots is the base penalty in other words.
If that's what is holding them up, we are a shitty sport.

It might be the only single rule in the rulebook put in place for rider safety at all expense of possible entertainment advantage.

Make a decision. The fine/punishment is the secondary consideration.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
3/23/2019 11:08pm
If that's what is holding them up, we are a shitty sport. It might be the only single rule in the rulebook put in place for...
If that's what is holding them up, we are a shitty sport.

It might be the only single rule in the rulebook put in place for rider safety at all expense of possible entertainment advantage.

Make a decision. The fine/punishment is the secondary consideration.
When it comes to officiating, we certainly are.
toroP
3/23/2019 11:09pm
731chopper wrote:
After reading the rules again I think it is saying it’s 2 positions with the respective points and purse if a position wasn’t gained. It’s the...
Points equal to two positions. Not 2 positions.
Ewan49
3/23/2019 11:10pm
Maybe Musquin wasn't the only one with wheels off the ground. Maybe other teams are saying other riders did it too. So maybe the officials have to go and study footage from all angles to make sure they penalise every rider that had wheels off the ground before they go and just make their decision public. This can be potentially big on the championship run. They have to make sure they get it (all) right. Could have massive ramifications if they don't get it completely right.
Akira
3/23/2019 11:10pm
Rogers involved that’s why there’s a delay. He ALWAYS gets his way.
I've heard this too much, i'd be sad if it's true tho. Can you expand, throw in some examples please?
Premixed112
3/23/2019 11:11pm
I'm just looking forward to the Pulp MX rants about this on Monday night

Post a reply to: The AMA/FIM/Gallagher Sucks Again

The Latest