“The Game Changers” movie and plant based diet performance benefits for MX.

Joko
Fantasy
233rd
Edited Date/Time 2/20/2020 9:16am
Just watched this movie on Netflix, and it portrays a good athletic performance benefit is available by eating a plant-based diet, excluding meat and dairy. I was particularly impressed with the centrifuged blood test result and the decrease in Fire Dept personnel cholesterol levels after switching. Are any of our current MX pros eating a plant based diet? I recall Jeff Stanton switching to vegan then regretting it later.
|
Barrzy256
11/22/2019 6:37pm
Look up a guy named Layne Norton on Facebook it goes in to some detail on why it a junk documentary
kb228
11/22/2019 7:26pm
Human beings by nature are designed to be omnivores. We are supposed to eat meat and plants. We get the most benefits from a good mix of both.

These fad diets that exclude an entire group of food need to stop.
tcallahan707
11/22/2019 8:16pm Edited Date/Time 11/22/2019 8:16pm
Joe Rogan just did a podcast with Chris Kresser about why it's mostly bunk. Haven't listened to it yet so no idea what points were made.
Sully
11/22/2019 8:20pm
I started watching it, but knew it was mostly shit when they tried to make it seem like Nate Diaz beat Connor McGregor because Nate’s vegan and Connor ate steaks right up to fight day. Diet had very little to do with that win. If it did, Then Nate would have won both fights easily.

The Shop

CR250Rider
11/22/2019 10:29pm
Very compelling movie that has me at least eating vegetables with every meal. The thing is that it makes perfect sense. All that protein and vitamins and minerals doesn't come from the cow, it comes from the plant the cow eats. Why not cut out the middleman?
zehn
11/23/2019 12:03am
CR250Rider wrote:
Very compelling movie that has me at least eating vegetables with every meal. The thing is that it makes perfect sense. All that protein and vitamins...
Very compelling movie that has me at least eating vegetables with every meal. The thing is that it makes perfect sense. All that protein and vitamins and minerals doesn't come from the cow, it comes from the plant the cow eats. Why not cut out the middleman?
Please tell me you're joking and that you don't actually believe that's how metabolic systems work
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
11/23/2019 4:11am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2019 4:12am
Joe Rogan just did a podcast with Chris Kresser about why it's mostly bunk. Haven't listened to it yet so no idea what points were made.
Yeah, they pick it apart.

Just remember kids - protein is not created equal. Generally speaking, eating 70 grams of protein from animals would need to eat 2x the grams from plants to have the same nutritional value.
swtwtwtw
11/23/2019 4:15am
I suspect most high level athletes don’t eat much meat. Just as in the entirety of human history, meat was not the primary staple since one it was hard to come by and two there were more benefits to keeping animals available alive.

Myself, I’ve only eaten about six-ten ounces of meat per week and about a half dozen eggs in hopes of just maintaining my muscle mass. Now, I’m primarily plant based, heavy on the anti-inflammatory foods and feel much better, my weight has dropped to my high school level, and my athletic performance is more even (les physical highs and lows).

Anything can be debated, good or bad, I believe “The Game Changers” has a valuable message for most.
swtwtwtw
11/23/2019 4:33am
Oh, Joe Rogan is a favorite of mine and I will be listening to the Knesser podcast later. I’m certain though that they will be talking about consuming high quality organic meats, not over the counter shit we get at the grocery store. And Joe has a big sponsor in Butcher Block for his show. Just sayin.

Regarding the 70 grams of protein from meat vs 2 and one- times of plant based protein, digestion of meat is a 24hr affair vs minutes to a few hrs at most. Performance is hampered when the body is busy digesting, so keep when that in mind when consuming meat before an event.
kx254f
11/23/2019 5:57am
swtwtwtw wrote:
I suspect most high level athletes don’t eat much meat. Just as in the entirety of human history, meat was not the primary staple since one...
I suspect most high level athletes don’t eat much meat. Just as in the entirety of human history, meat was not the primary staple since one it was hard to come by and two there were more benefits to keeping animals available alive.

Myself, I’ve only eaten about six-ten ounces of meat per week and about a half dozen eggs in hopes of just maintaining my muscle mass. Now, I’m primarily plant based, heavy on the anti-inflammatory foods and feel much better, my weight has dropped to my high school level, and my athletic performance is more even (les physical highs and lows).

Anything can be debated, good or bad, I believe “The Game Changers” has a valuable message for most.
^^^^ this. I found out I had high cholesterol (306) at the age of 26. I was working with FC on some video projects and Zig told me to read the China Study. That book convinced me to try a 99.9% plant based diet by eliminating all meat and dairy, and minimizing fish. Shortly after this, I had met Garth Milan on a JS7/Red Bull shoot and saw first hand how to be a traveling vegan which is extremely tough! But he’d been doing it for 15-20 years and this further inspired me to continue the journey. All I did was eat a variety of plants and always had 4+ colors on my plate. I did this for 2 years and I honestly couldn’t have felt any better... I went from 180lbs to 160lbs and my cholesterol dropped to under 200 without taking any pharmaceuticals which was my goal. It helped my riding endurance on the bike and big time with arm pump.

Now this was my own personal experiment but I’m curious how other people will feel after conducting their own personal experiment with a 99% plant based diet. I encourage each person to challenge themselves and give it a try to make their own judgement. Don’t be a pussy and try it for two weeks. Try 6 months - out of you entire life, that’s not that long and decide for you, if you notice a difference in your body.

Today, I eat 95% plant based and 5% organic meat/dairy but mostly because it’s inconvenient to eat 100% plant based and I’m grinding day to day growing a business so time is limited. But the world is transitioning and it’s become easier with food services like Purple Carrot so I’m excited.

My 2 cents for what it’s worth.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
11/23/2019 6:17am Edited Date/Time 11/26/2019 7:30am
I watched the Netflix Documentary called The Magic pill
Wich , basically says for some plant based is better, for others , meat based is better , but for all , sugar and processed food is bad , and that people have been eating wrong since the 1950's
Prior to that it wasn't as bad.
It was really a very good Documentary.
11/23/2019 6:33am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2019 6:33am
The problems with the documentary, and all vegan documentaries is A. the inability to separate facts from ideology B. cherry picking of information to deceptively portray a point.

I’ve been vegan for long spans of time as a reset diet. It’s a lot of fun to challenge yourself into having to eat a certain way and find new methods of cooking. I didn’t do it because animal rights. I think factory farming is wrong on every level, but that’s a nature of the multi billion human population world we live in.

At the end of the day, what’s right for me might fuck you up and reverse. Unfortunately people want to tribe-up and proselytize blindly, they become mega annoying for it by self affirmation of their peers. And then guys like James Cameron who directed the documentary also own a pea-protein conglomerate and has massive financial gain to benefit from people people going vegan. Look into it.
The_Diablo
Fantasy
1678th
11/23/2019 7:44am

The advantages of eating a vegan diet is, you are cutting out the carbohydrates. I think thats why people feel so good on this diet in the beginning. But this diet is not sustainable in the long term. I trully believe human's are meat eaters. I have followed a carnivore diet for extended periods, and the benefits are pretty amazing. I have studied both of these diets at length, and I am hard pressed to find any negative affects from the carnivore diet. Once i started mixing in intermittent fasting, the results were even better. Probably the biggest affect I noticed was the mental clarity. Its almost like a fog had lifted and allowed me to think more clearly.

I think the biggest benefit to the human body is to cut out carbohydrates completely.

This video really changed my way of thinking about how to eat.
Jack_Wagon
11/23/2019 8:22am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2019 8:23am
A trainer, that owns a factory in FL, had all his riders watch the movie.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
11/23/2019 9:07am
If its your health you are concerned about: Stick with real food, stay away from processed oily rubbish like flavored corn chips, extracted breakfast gruel etc - they are almost as bad as sissy foods like lettuce and cucumber haha

Gosh the world seems to have gone and twisted itself up in the last 60 years..
People doing more mental jobs and less physical jobs & have to go to a gym to keep fit..
Some eat a plant based diet including fake meat, want to be eco friendly but live in massive sprawling cities covered in concrete and suv's... Better buy a tesla to make it feel like y'all doing something about it..

The USA forced my country to make it legal to advertise medication. Its absolutely bizarre and degrading to have weight loss ads blasted in your face telling the public "sometimes its doesn't come down to will power - there is a science behind obesity" or "Ask your doctor for X-brand drug today" - shit is messed up. We all need to go back to living in the forest and become normal again.
user760a
11/23/2019 9:45am
I just watched that the other day. I did not strongly doubt any of the claims made in the movie, and it seemed like good news to me since I have always eaten a near veggie diet just by choice. it did strike me as more of a vegan propaganda piece though
zehn
11/23/2019 9:52am
Who here has tried a pescatarian diet? I feel like that's a decent compromise between vegetarian/vegan and a diet that includes red meat.
Joko
Fantasy
233rd
11/23/2019 4:11pm
Would be kinda nice if one of our MX trainers could weigh in on this and point us in a good direction.
zehn
11/23/2019 4:17pm Edited Date/Time 11/23/2019 4:17pm
Joko wrote:
Would be kinda nice if one of our MX trainers could weigh in on this and point us in a good direction.
You would get far better and more informed information from an actual licensed sports nutritionist IMO
dan.karp.5
11/23/2019 4:29pm
I've been a vegetarian for years. I do not believe we were ever meant to eat animals. It has done wonders for my health and weight. If you believe we are meant to eat animals, then do that. We all choose our own path but the high caloric animal flesh path was not good for my health or well being. The protein myth is a lie. Unless you are a very intense athlete, you can get plenty of protein from legumes.
11/23/2019 4:57pm Edited Date/Time 11/23/2019 5:03pm
dan.karp.5 wrote:
I've been a vegetarian for years. I do not believe we were ever meant to eat animals. It has done wonders for my health and weight...
I've been a vegetarian for years. I do not believe we were ever meant to eat animals. It has done wonders for my health and weight. If you believe we are meant to eat animals, then do that. We all choose our own path but the high caloric animal flesh path was not good for my health or well being. The protein myth is a lie. Unless you are a very intense athlete, you can get plenty of protein from legumes.
"I do not believe we were ever meant to eat animals"

I don't understand. We wouldn't have survived as a species without eating animals. We wouldn't have developed our intelligence or incredible bodies without having to hunt animals. Our evolution was driven by it and and here we are at the top of the food chain because of it, yet you believe we were suppose to forage around collecting berries or something?

friday10
11/23/2019 5:47pm
Just watching how animals are treated at factory farms makes me want not eat meat.
dimetime
11/23/2019 6:17pm
The main problem is vegans are fucking insufferable. I was a ovo-lacto vegitarian for almost a decade and l got so fucking tired of lectures from vegan assholes that l literally gave up vegetarianism completely.

Hate to break it to you all but nutrition isn't a science. It isn't able to be double blind tested in meaningful way and our bodies are simply too different anyway. There are theories and anecdotal studies that take data and attempt to make something of it but that's about it. It's mostly conjecture.

I have a genetic issue called hyper lipodemia and my diet is fairly specialized. It's been years getting it right and after too many doctors and too many nutritionists to fucking count and constantly dealing with contradicting advice l found it best to read as much as you can and find what's best for you but mostly to completely tune out the lastest trend in nutrition. Because in the end, they're all just a trend to get you to buy the latest supplement or whatever the hell they've selling in their unprovable sham.

Now before everyone gets all pissed off, just stop for a second and think back to all the bullshit we've all fallen for over the years that's faded away over time and in hindsight we acknowledge how we got duped. It's always something that's gonna save ya but then it isn't.
Monk
11/23/2019 8:21pm
It's an excellent podcast
Monk
11/23/2019 8:23pm
friday10 wrote:
Just watching how animals are treated at factory farms makes me want not eat meat.
But you can ethnical sourced meat easily, or hunt...
BikeGuy321
11/24/2019 1:13am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2019 1:59am
According to the interwebs, Usain Bolt ate about 100 chicken Mcnuggets per day at the Olympics in Beijing.

I'm personally on a see-food diet currently, but sometimes I'll take a few fiber pills when I eat a lot of meat or gluten-rich food and I don't get so many 'gut bombs'. I've noticed I need to drink more water with these kinds of foods too.
dan.karp.5
11/25/2019 2:04pm
dan.karp.5 wrote:
I've been a vegetarian for years. I do not believe we were ever meant to eat animals. It has done wonders for my health and weight...
[i] "I do not believe we were ever meant to eat animals"[/i] I don't understand. We wouldn't have survived as a species without eating animals. We...
"I do not believe we were ever meant to eat animals"

I don't understand. We wouldn't have survived as a species without eating animals. We wouldn't have developed our intelligence or incredible bodies without having to hunt animals. Our evolution was driven by it and and here we are at the top of the food chain because of it, yet you believe we were suppose to forage around collecting berries or something?

Ignorance is bliss. Cavemen had refrigerators and grocery stores? I have been a vegetarian and a carnivore, I choose vegetarian. I know a lot of people like you, judging the unknown from ignorance. The animals of today are not the animals of 1000 years ago, or even 100 years ago. In 1919 chickens were 2% body fat, now they are 25% body fat, not including the steroids and antibiotics. Pork is a carcinogen and the fat in all red meat is known to form clots. So enjoy your first heart bypass and stroke recovery. Now I went FULL RETARD.

Post a reply to: “The Game Changers” movie and plant based diet performance benefits for MX.

The Latest