The KTM350SX-F

TeamGreen
4/23/2010 1:36pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 3:32am
I've seen this thing in person a few times, lately...

The injection-system is as clean as it gets.
The Italian Starter-Motor is wonderfully 'small' and installed into the engine in the most compact way possible.
The temp-sensor/pick-up is in the smartest location I've seen...so far...in the water-jacket between the intake & exhaust valves (Left-side).
The linkage is STOUT! Think of a wider-more "billetized" old-style Yamaha.
The bike is sooooooo 250ish that it's well...jus' bitchin'!
The New-Swingarms is like a works-part.

I'm jus' wondering if, like Husky, it's gonna come with all the Computer-Cables, Program(s) and stuff stock?

This will be their best selling bike...

I'd go get on the waiting list if you want one "early"

I know I'll be riding one. And, I haven't "owned" a KTM since '91!
|
4/23/2010 1:40pm
So it is a fuelie? I thought some others on here said it wasn't going to be. The bike really sounds interesting.
WhKnuckle
4/23/2010 1:49pm
It's just my opinion, but I think it'll be the best amateur bike ever built; and I think Alessi is going to be at a big disadvantage in the Nationals on it. He's a holeshot-and-lead guy; put him in 10th at the start and he's in trouble. And that's where he is going to be on the 350 against the rest of the guys in the Nationals.
TeamGreen
4/23/2010 1:51pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:21pm
No-one will say a damn thing about power...torque...etc.

They jus' smile like a bunch of smart-asses & I've heard the term: "Best of Both Worlds".

That leads me to believe that Mikey will be jus' fine...

4/23/2010 1:52pm
So it is a fuelie? I thought some others on here said it wasn't going to be. The bike really sounds interesting.
yes the production bike will be a fuelie....

The Shop

4/23/2010 2:02pm
I am on the waiting list currently for a 2011 250sx,, Dealer is telling me mid June
BobbyM
4/23/2010 2:36pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
It's just my opinion, but I think it'll be the best amateur bike ever built; and I think Alessi is going to be at a big...
It's just my opinion, but I think it'll be the best amateur bike ever built; and I think Alessi is going to be at a big disadvantage in the Nationals on it. He's a holeshot-and-lead guy; put him in 10th at the start and he's in trouble. And that's where he is going to be on the 350 against the rest of the guys in the Nationals.
MIKE has proven he can pass last year at hangtown. is it as good as the suzy...no fucking way.
newmann
4/23/2010 3:20pm
Gotta applaud KTM for their motocross efforts the last ten plus years here in the states. Just keep getting better and better. The big 4 act like they could care less about the moto market dropping the 2 strokes, making the 4 strokes heavier than a pig at auction and even dropping minis altogether. Is it really true that after killing off the CR85 that Honda is now killing off their cam cracking, valve munching CRF150R?

Go KTM!!
4/23/2010 4:44pm
newmann wrote:
Gotta applaud KTM for their motocross efforts the last ten plus years here in the states. Just keep getting better and better. The big 4 act...
Gotta applaud KTM for their motocross efforts the last ten plus years here in the states. Just keep getting better and better. The big 4 act like they could care less about the moto market dropping the 2 strokes, making the 4 strokes heavier than a pig at auction and even dropping minis altogether. Is it really true that after killing off the CR85 that Honda is now killing off their cam cracking, valve munching CRF150R?

Go KTM!!
They are a respectable option now, and the big four know it.
need love
4/23/2010 5:01pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
It's just my opinion, but I think it'll be the best amateur bike ever built; and I think Alessi is going to be at a big...
BobbyM wrote:
MIKE has proven he can pass last year at hangtown. is it as good as the suzy...no fucking way.
Hey you one legged pirate, its better than a suzuki
HuskyEd
4/23/2010 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2010 5:36pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I've seen this thing in person a few times, lately... The injection-system is as clean as it gets. The Italian Starter-Motor is wonderfully 'small' and installed...
I've seen this thing in person a few times, lately...

The injection-system is as clean as it gets.
The Italian Starter-Motor is wonderfully 'small' and installed into the engine in the most compact way possible.
The temp-sensor/pick-up is in the smartest location I've seen...so far...in the water-jacket between the intake & exhaust valves (Left-side).
The linkage is STOUT! Think of a wider-more "billetized" old-style Yamaha.
The bike is sooooooo 250ish that it's well...jus' bitchin'!
The New-Swingarms is like a works-part.

I'm jus' wondering if, like Husky, it's gonna come with all the Computer-Cables, Program(s) and stuff stock?

This will be their best selling bike...

I'd go get on the waiting list if you want one "early"

I know I'll be riding one. And, I haven't "owned" a KTM since '91!
May have to change your user name to "TeamOrange" !!
Farva
4/23/2010 5:42pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
need love wrote:
A factory Suzuki that has input from both R.C and Reed.

I doubt that.
4/23/2010 5:54pm
KTM 450 has the most powerfull 450 and i've heard rumours of the 350 being only 3HP down on it.

Combined with lower weight, centralized mass(just like the YZF450), i dont think the bike will hold Mikey back.

AC holeshotted that thing in wet sandy conditions, i bet Mike can do the same.

Glen Helen is the only track were the 350 will be a bit underpowered, with those big uphills.
AC reported that also after Bulgaria, which also has some steep uphills.
TeamGreen
4/23/2010 6:05pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:21pm
BobbyM wrote:
need love wrote:
Farva wrote:

I doubt that.
In all fairness to KTM: for the past, what, 5 years now...?

They've put in a HELL of an effort to get to where they are at, now.

Then there's the very simple fact that the VERY production based Factory bike is leading the GPs.

Not to mention that the 2011 pre-prod bikes have an "attention to detail" that's very "f u, Japan!"

Even the bodywork (rear-fender/panels) is pretty "next-level".

I'm jumpin' in jus' because I really like where they're headed & I like the premise/objective of the 350 project: "Best of Both Worlds", indeed.

Then there's this: What other Manufacturer is gonna build you a Works Bike for under $15-18K?(Depending on how silly you get since some of their own riders don't use all the hi-dollar stuff).

I'm jus' sayin'...
Farva
4/23/2010 6:14pm
TeamGreen wrote:
In all fairness to KTM: for the past, what, 5 years now...? They've put in a HELL of an effort to get to where they are...

Then there's the very simple fact that the VERY production based Factory bike is leading the GPs.

Not to mention that the 2011 pre-prod bikes have an "attention to detail" that's very "f u, Japan!"

I'm jumpin' in jus' because I really like where they're headed & I like the premise/objective of the 350 project: "Best of Both Worlds", indeed.

Then there's this: What other Manufacturer is gonna build you a Works Bike for under $15-18K?(Depending on how silly you get since some of their own riders don't use all the hi-dollar stuff).

I'm jus' sayin'...
I'd bet the KTM is a great bike, but would you want to put it head to head against a factory Suzuki with input from Reed and RC?
TeamGreen
4/23/2010 6:33pm
TeamGreen wrote:
In all fairness to KTM: for the past, what, 5 years now...? They've put in a HELL of an effort to get to where they are...

I'm jus' sayin'...
Farva wrote:
I'd bet the KTM is a great bike, but would you want to put it head to head against a factory Suzuki with input from Reed...
I'd bet the KTM is a great bike, but would you want to put it head to head against a factory Suzuki with input from Reed and RC?
Actually, once you involve a Reed or an RC in the K-T-M program...this won't be an issue.

And, they may be doing just that with their current GP winner.

I know EXACTLY where you're coming from because I make some of the hard-ware that's involved in developing the bikes for the US-teams.

The points I make about this new bike are part-n-parcel to KTM taking care of the few issues that have allowed them to be jus' a lil behind the others.

Besides, we haven't even seen the new 450 (Well, not officially...).
4/23/2010 7:18pm
BobbyM wrote:
need love wrote:
Farva wrote:

I doubt that.
Everts practicly build that bike, must be shit, only Euro titles.
Trent179
4/23/2010 7:41pm
I'll buy a 350 when one of the big 4 make one. Every person I know that has had a KTM has had nothing but problems....
Faceaz
4/23/2010 9:06pm
Trent179 wrote:
I'll buy a 350 when one of the big 4 make one. Every person I know that has had a KTM has had nothing but problems....
How many people is that?
kongols
4/23/2010 9:20pm
need love wrote:
Farva wrote:

I doubt that.
brakkeman_ wrote:
Everts practicly build that bike, must be shit, only Euro titles.
Yes , he`s just some amature, never won any national. He knows nothing about bikesWhistling
Lightning78
4/23/2010 9:21pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
No way not at all....not even close. That bike will be more than competitive, didn't you hear the pulpmx interview with Tony Alessi when they said the engine has 10lbs less rotating mass and the bike is almost dead on with a 450 in terms of hp....with that light weight both in the engine and the bike itself I believe the bike will actually be an advantage for Mike Alessi. In the racerx video they has of #800 out at perris the mechanic said they were almost even with the 450 and KTM currently makes the best 450 and 250f engines so I'd assume they have a good bike to build a base off of.....mark my words the KTM 350 will be more than competitive especially with a kid that only weighs 160lbs.
Trent179
4/23/2010 9:29pm
Trent179 wrote:
Faceaz wrote:
How many people is that?
3 people. They have 08, and 09 450's. Not sure what the third person is on. I have never seen bikes fuck up more in my life! The 2009 has had the case split on it 3 times. They take it to the KTM dealer also, so it's not like they are just putting stuff together wrong. I can remember quite a few years ago when ktm 125's were the craze. Those bikes couldn't keep a crank together for nothing! Maybe it's coinsidence, but from my experience ktm's kinda stink.
newmann
4/24/2010 2:03pm
Trent179 wrote:
Considering Suzuki can't even sell 2010's here in the states, who exactly are you referring to as the Big 4? LMAO
Crush
4/24/2010 2:24pm
KTM is a great engine company... Every one of their bikes is pretty much at the top of the power charts for each class... So I am sure the 350 will pump it out just fine...

Interesting Reedy saying his factory RMZ450 was 15 pounds heavier than Steve Ramons bike... Can you imagine riding that or Cairoli's factory 350, it'd be like a downhill bike with an engine!
WideOpen
4/24/2010 3:34pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
Mikes best year ever on a 450 outdoors was on his KTM!!!

On top of that that Italian guy seems to be doing just fine on the other side of the pond with the 350.

If Mike gets beat this summer it not going to be because of his bike.

WideOpen
4/24/2010 4:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:22pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
All riders are great when they get holeshots. There are only a hand full of riders in the history of this sport that have the ability to win a race when they are outside the top 10 off the start.

Mike Alessi might be the best starter this sport has ever seen. His 350 will not hold him back.

Crush
4/24/2010 4:57pm
WideOpen wrote:
Mikes best year ever on a 450 outdoors was on his KTM!!! On top of that that Italian guy seems to be doing just fine on...
Mikes best year ever on a 450 outdoors was on his KTM!!!

On top of that that Italian guy seems to be doing just fine on the other side of the pond with the 350.

If Mike gets beat this summer it not going to be because of his bike.

The only reason it was his best year was because he finished those years...

He was faster on the Zook... Not necessarily because of the bike but he was definitely faster, just got injured...
Flatliner
4/24/2010 5:06pm
I like ktm because they have the stones to make new bikes ala the 150 or 350.

jmar
4/24/2010 5:06pm
The cost of racing will go up if the rules change and the 350 becomes the new displacement size for the thumper's. Big pocket and OEM teams will have the advantage just as they did in the days of the 250s.

Leave the 450s alone and allow the two stroke up to 500 cc.
Crush
4/24/2010 5:14pm
Jim, do you think they will bring down the limit in 5 years for four strokes??? I'm not sure how long it took them to bring it down to 450 after the Yamaha was released... Do you know?

It will be interesting these next few years with bike development... Their is the Yamaha reverse engine, 350s, EFIs on all the 250s and there is still talk of KTM developing a EFI 2 stroke range... I'd buy a KTM 300 EXC EFI Electric start bike in a 2nd...

If only they'd let us run 300 or 350 2 strokes in the "open" (450) class...

Post a reply to: The KTM350SX-F

The Latest