ALWAY5: The Ryan Dungey Story - Full Documentary

ruy
12/12/2017 10:03am Edited Date/Time 12/14/2017 7:12pm
|
ML512
Fantasy
36th
12/12/2017 10:46am
What bird does ham come from... Laughing Watch to the end to hear that reference...
YZ324
12/12/2017 10:50am
Awesome video! Cool the way he went to Roger. Took Balls! Never heard how that went down but nice to hear it from him.
sende
Fantasy
4320th
12/12/2017 10:55am
YES.
bodean123
Fantasy
1987th
12/12/2017 12:30pm
Really well done. I agree though, the lack of any mention of RV is a little disappointing. Would have liked to hear his thoughts on the challenges of those years.

The Shop

Kawi15
12/12/2017 1:32pm
Excellent story.
Mx391
12/12/2017 2:15pm
What a fantastic documentary!
ledger
12/12/2017 3:19pm
ML512 wrote:
What bird does ham come from... Laughing Watch to the end to hear that reference...
The last few minutes is hilarious, gotta love the look in RC's eyes explaining the....ham. Great vid and wish we had more Dungey's in the sport.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
12/12/2017 3:21pm
I've always felt like Ryan was going to be one of those guys that's like a famous artist...appreciated more after he was gone.
usafwx
12/12/2017 3:22pm Edited Date/Time 12/12/2017 3:23pm
Thanks for the share, awesome little video. Ya Chad it is funny that Ryan is 27 retired and you're 35 still "racing"...Evil
ML512
Fantasy
36th
12/12/2017 3:25pm
GuyB wrote:
I've always felt like Ryan was going to be one of those guys that's like a famous artist...appreciated more after he was gone.
Agreed.
drt410
12/12/2017 4:11pm
That was weird to not mention RV. They said how Lawrence messed with him in the beginning but then framed it like after that he just won everything until he retired. That wasn't how it really happened. There was 4 years in a row where RV beat him in supercross after his first championship and he had to regroup after that and take over after he retired. Good video but just kind of misleading.
PTshox
12/12/2017 4:23pm
ML512 wrote:
We may have a new nick name for Dungy... HAM!
ML512
Fantasy
36th
12/12/2017 4:28pm
drt410 wrote:
That was weird to not mention RV. They said how Lawrence messed with him in the beginning but then framed it like after that he just...
That was weird to not mention RV. They said how Lawrence messed with him in the beginning but then framed it like after that he just won everything until he retired. That wasn't how it really happened. There was 4 years in a row where RV beat him in supercross after his first championship and he had to regroup after that and take over after he retired. Good video but just kind of misleading.
95% of the people who will watch this are aware of him getting beat by Ryan Villopoto. That's not the point of this movie, it doesn't focus on his downfalls or misses, it's uplifting and follows the positives of his career, humble beginnings to a superstar career type thing. It's not meant to be a deep look into the ins and outs of each season...
12/12/2017 4:44pm
drt410 wrote:
That was weird to not mention RV. They said how Lawrence messed with him in the beginning but then framed it like after that he just...
They also didn't mention that those 2 always rode opposite coasts during lites supercross and when they met in Vegas RD either ran him down or ran away from him when those 2 met during lites sx. And in both RD's and RV's documentary they also didn't mention James being stuck with Yamaha's abortion of an idea while RV and RD had their championship run which obviously played a big role in things, so ya it's misleading. Whistling
ML512
Fantasy
36th
12/12/2017 5:06pm Edited Date/Time 12/12/2017 5:08pm
drt410 wrote:
They also didn't mention that those 2 always rode opposite coasts during lites supercross and when they met in Vegas RD either ran him down or...
They also didn't mention that those 2 always rode opposite coasts during lites supercross and when they met in Vegas RD either ran him down or ran away from him when those 2 met during lites sx. And in both RD's and RV's documentary they also didn't mention James being stuck with Yamaha's abortion of an idea while RV and RD had their championship run which obviously played a big role in things, so ya it's misleading. Whistling
Regarding James: Ifs and buts...ifs and buts...

RV = 10 years racing pro (-1 if you don't count GPs, +1 if you count '05 for rookie three races), 16 championships entered, 10 championships won, 4 on 250s, 6 on 450s. RV finished 12 championships inside the top three.

RD = 11 years racing pro (12 if you count his three rookie races in '06), 21 championships entered, 9 championships won, 2 on 250s, 7 on 450s. RD finished 18 championships inside the top three.

JS = 14 years racing pro (15 if you count his sidelined year with the drug penalty), 25 championships entered (his results list 26, but one was a one-off mx appearance in '10), 7 championships won, 4 on 125s/250s, 3 on 450s. JS finished 10 championships in the top three.

Ultimately each rider made decisions that affected their career:

RV went all out and wrapped up a lot of titles in a short amount of time, but also threw away a couple/missed some in the process.

RD's consistency and work ethic landed him only one less title with one more year of racing then RV and landed inside the top three in more championships. He also squeezed out on more 450 title than RV and the only riders with more titles than him overall are RC 16, RV 10, and McGrath 10...with RD at 9. Only rider here with an ESPN ESPY award (two I believe) and a wheeties box...some unique accomplishments for Dungey.

JS's crash or win mentality, choices on bikes/teams, and failure to follow the rules landed him a career that has spanned a few years longer than RV or RD, but with less success in terms of championships and overall standings in these championships. He's iconic but leaves a lot of question marks...or eternal ifs and buts.

Note: Yes, I counted 125SX titles in this math. If we remove those, RD and MC have the same total titles at 8, RV slips to 9, RC to 15, and JS drops to 5.
ledger
12/12/2017 5:09pm
Dungey's brother....He downs a six pack, takes his clothes off and jumps on me, like normal people do. LaughingLaughing
12/12/2017 6:22pm
ML512 wrote:
Regarding James: Ifs and buts...ifs and buts... RV = 10 years racing pro (-1 if you don't count GPs, +1 if you count '05 for rookie...

RV = 10 years racing pro (-1 if you don't count GPs, +1 if you count '05 for rookie three races), 16 championships entered, 10 championships won, 4 on 250s, 6 on 450s. RV finished 12 championships inside the top three.

RD = 11 years racing pro (12 if you count his three rookie races in '06), 21 championships entered, 9 championships won, 2 on 250s, 7 on 450s. RD finished 18 championships inside the top three.

JS = 14 years racing pro (15 if you count his sidelined year with the drug penalty), 25 championships entered (his results list 26, but one was a one-off mx appearance in '10), 7 championships won, 4 on 125s/250s, 3 on 450s. JS finished 10 championships in the top three.

RV went all out and wrapped up a lot of titles in a short amount of time, but also threw away a couple/missed some in the process.

RD's consistency and work ethic landed him only one less title with one more year of racing then RV and landed inside the top three in more championships. He also squeezed out on more 450 title than RV and the only riders with more titles than him overall are RC 16, RV 10, and McGrath 10...with RD at 9. Only rider here with an ESPN ESPY award (two I believe) and a wheeties box...some unique accomplishments for Dungey.

JS's crash or win mentality, choices on bikes/teams, and failure to follow the rules landed him a career that has spanned a few years longer than RV or RD, but with less success in terms of championships and overall standings in these championships. He's iconic but leaves a lot of question marks...or eternal ifs and buts.

Note: Yes, I counted 125SX titles in this math. If we remove those, RD and MC have the same total titles at 8, RV slips to 9, RC to 15, and JS drops to 5.
I don't look at it as if's or buts. I look at the fact that James had the field covered in 2009 which we all seen happen and then Yamaha went the opposite direction which we all know how that went. To say that incident didn't play a role in both Ryan's career accomplishments they're avoiding facts and that's all I'm trying to point out.
BobbyM
12/12/2017 7:33pm
One of if not the best motorcycle racer that's ever swung a leg over a scooter... Period.
BobbyM
12/12/2017 7:35pm
drt410 wrote:
Bullshit... It's the fucking Ryan Dungey story dumbass.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
12/12/2017 7:38pm
Great video about a great rider. He will be missed from the racing action. Glad he will still be active around the sport.
12/12/2017 7:43pm
GuyB wrote:
Very true. He was underrated and under appreciated IMO. Now we are left with a void to fill and I'm not sure who is capable of being the next MC/RC/JS/RV/RD...
12/12/2017 7:48pm
drt410 wrote:
They also didn't mention that those 2 always rode opposite coasts during lites supercross and when they met in Vegas RD either ran him down or...
Dungey was busy dragging KTM from the bottom to the top....something no one else was able to do. That "career suicide" move Dungey overcame is the real story. All while battling the amazing RV on a dialed Kawi.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
12/12/2017 7:48pm
ML512 wrote:
Regarding James: Ifs and buts...ifs and buts... RV = 10 years racing pro (-1 if you don't count GPs, +1 if you count '05 for rookie...

I don't look at it as if's or buts. I look at the fact that James had the field covered in 2009 which we all seen...
I don't look at it as if's or buts. I look at the fact that James had the field covered in 2009 which we all seen happen and then Yamaha went the opposite direction which we all know how that went. To say that incident didn't play a role in both Ryan's career accomplishments they're avoiding facts and that's all I'm trying to point out.
When you talk to people surrounding that program, how the year went, decisions about bike, his treatment of the team owners, splitting with Aldon, etc...it gives a different view on how a rider's choice can effect their career...and then there was him going to JGR to stay on that bike. His decisions landed him those results. Both of the Ryan's decisions landed them theirs.

12/12/2017 8:05pm
ML512 wrote:

I don't look at it as if's or buts. I look at the fact that James had the field covered in 2009 which we all seen...
ML512 wrote:
When you talk to people surrounding that program, how the year went, decisions about bike, his treatment of the team owners, splitting with Aldon, etc...it gives...
When you talk to people surrounding that program, how the year went, decisions about bike, his treatment of the team owners, splitting with Aldon, etc...it gives a different view on how a rider's choice can effect their career...and then there was him going to JGR to stay on that bike. His decisions landed him those results. Both of the Ryan's decisions landed them theirs.

Didn't James lose focus a bit around this time? What year was Bubba's world?
Ted722
12/12/2017 9:56pm
Nice job FOX Racing, I was just starting to get into the upcoming 2018 season. Nothing wrong with a look back though! Smile Great story, great champion, great video.
doobiedoobs
12/12/2017 10:00pm
drt410 wrote:
Dungey was busy dragging KTM from the bottom to the top....something no one else was able to do. That "career suicide" move Dungey overcame is the...
Dungey was busy dragging KTM from the bottom to the top....something no one else was able to do. That "career suicide" move Dungey overcame is the real story. All while battling the amazing RV on a dialed Kawi.
Excellent point man. Regardless of anyone else’s actions, Ryan chose his path. Just as the rest. In the end, it’s a story about Ryan.
Helder
12/13/2017 2:41am
Have a look at 6:47....thats a hicky....
Bultaco
12/13/2017 5:48am Edited Date/Time 12/13/2017 5:48am
Excellent edit!

Post a reply to: ALWAY5: The Ryan Dungey Story - Full Documentary

The Latest