Those flaggers don't know how to flag

RhinoRider
Edited Date/Time 6/24/2017 11:54pm
If you get in the middle of the track, the riders know to go around.

Who hires these clowns? Get some of these guys.

|
sickboy3636
6/3/2017 2:57pm
Dude.....that guy was an ass hat. It was like the more Aaron yelled at him, the more violently he waved his flag. Lol. Hey jacka$$....we see the flag, now waddle out there and do your frickin job.
Bineano
6/3/2017 3:09pm
Wey done the right thing with aggressive flagging. But...Plessinger added to the confusion imo (he was waving riders one way, the flaggers waving the other.) On a blind jump, the riders didn't know where to go. Glad no one was hurt!

The Shop

MXMattii
6/3/2017 3:31pm
There are two men waving yellow and NON of the riders is slowing down. That is more a problem then the flaggers not stepping into the track. OK they weren't on a ideal place but those riders should've slowed down and should've been more carefull because they don't know what is behind the jump. At a certaint point you see 5 yellow flags and still riders are going for it, damn! Those flaggers aren't responsible for empty headed racers.
RhinoRider
6/3/2017 4:02pm
MXMattii wrote:
There are two men waving yellow and NON of the riders is slowing down. That is more a problem then the flaggers not stepping into the...
There are two men waving yellow and NON of the riders is slowing down. That is more a problem then the flaggers not stepping into the track. OK they weren't on a ideal place but those riders should've slowed down and should've been more carefull because they don't know what is behind the jump. At a certaint point you see 5 yellow flags and still riders are going for it, damn! Those flaggers aren't responsible for empty headed racers.
Valid point as well.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
6/3/2017 4:36pm
Bineano wrote:
Wey done the right thing with aggressive flagging. But...Plessinger added to the confusion imo (he was waving riders one way, the flaggers waving the other.) On...
Wey done the right thing with aggressive flagging. But...Plessinger added to the confusion imo (he was waving riders one way, the flaggers waving the other.) On a blind jump, the riders didn't know where to go. Glad no one was hurt!
agreed, AP made it worse by pushing guys towards the bikes,

and the riders need to slow down on waved yellows,
JustMX
6/3/2017 4:37pm
Yeah..... having a regular crew following the national series will fix the riders not paying attention to the flags
cmotodad
6/3/2017 4:38pm
The ama has strict flagging rules. They do not want you anywhere near the track. You are given very specific areas to stay within. And yes, many of those guys evidently have not ridden at all. I have flagged many SX events and it is not much fun.
tcallahan707
6/3/2017 7:12pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2017 7:13pm
They are offered free entry and lunch. You get what you pay for. I've said it for years that the AMA should have a class (online?) and every AMA sanctioned event would require a certificate if you want to flag. The Red Cross does it with lifeguards (but to a higher standard than what we need). Just imagine the quality flaggers that show up for local events. It's fricking scary sometimes.
rancor19
6/3/2017 7:26pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2017 7:27pm
MXMattii wrote:
There are two men waving yellow and NON of the riders is slowing down. That is more a problem then the flaggers not stepping into the...
RhinoRider wrote:
Valid point as well.
Yep. Why were they even getting air down the backside of a blind jump, under a yellow flag, while having no idea what was going on on the other side? AMA should dish some $1,000 penalties as examples.

Or,.. wait til somebody gets run over 20 or 30 times. Either way.
RhinoRider
6/3/2017 7:34pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2017 7:37pm
MXMattii wrote:
RhinoRider wrote:
Valid point as well.
rancor19 wrote:
Yep. Why were they even getting air down the backside of a blind jump, under a yellow flag, while having no idea what was going on...
Yep. Why were they even getting air down the backside of a blind jump, under a yellow flag, while having no idea what was going on on the other side? AMA should dish some $1,000 penalties as examples.

Or,.. wait til somebody gets run over 20 or 30 times. Either way.
Dont youtube search Mike Alessi run over, unless you want to see him get run over by the whole pack.

In that case, there wasn't much anyone could do though.

I can't believe he wasn't dead.
Charper732
6/3/2017 7:44pm
Just a thought, but maybe if they put up those strobe lights(like they have on the triples in SX) on certain blind jumps and corners and only turn on the side that has a down bike/rider so it indicates to other riders that they need to go to the opposite side of the track...if that makes sense.
ge217
6/3/2017 7:44pm
That sad part about it all isn't the flagger they hired for the day. It's the fact that the 2nd flagger is part of the promoting series .
The flagger they hired for the day isn't going to jump out in the track if the guy with leadership isn't going to. The real question I think should be why didn't the guy who is part of the series do a better job? As someone said above, they need to make a test to pass. I do believe they go over the basics before sending them out. Still they need to have test of some sorts before hand.
JustMX
6/3/2017 8:02pm
What do you want him to do? He is in a visible area waving the flag vigorously. If the riders chose to ignore the flag and keep charging like they have to finish 29th or die than he shouldn't be expected to step out in front of them. Nick came along after the pack had thined out considerably.
If you realistically expect the flagger to run out in the race line than be prepared for red flags to come out when they get mowed over.

Tcallahan, I doubt there are many national tracks that aren't paying their flaggers.
crusher773
6/3/2017 8:24pm
If they don't have the balls to get out there and protect riders that are down or warn them of danger ahead they shouldn't be flagging. Wey did the smartest thing there.
crusher773
6/3/2017 8:27pm
If they don't have the balls to get out there and protect riders that are down or warn them of danger ahead they shouldn't be flagging. Wey did the smartest thing there. All they had to do was gradually work out that direction and problem solved. They could have been out there before AC even ran over it.
Motoxtombo
6/3/2017 8:28pm
I flagged at the Southwick national once back in the early 80's ,I'll never do it again,the riders ignore the flaggers waving the yellow flags. I was flagging at a blind jump and after a rider crashed I got out onto the track a little to keep the rider from getting landed on. The oncoming riders never slowed down and I had to jump back a couple time to keep from getting hit.
RhinoRider
6/3/2017 8:32pm
Motoxtombo wrote:
I flagged at the Southwick national once back in the early 80's ,I'll never do it again,the riders ignore the flaggers waving the yellow flags. I...
I flagged at the Southwick national once back in the early 80's ,I'll never do it again,the riders ignore the flaggers waving the yellow flags. I was flagging at a blind jump and after a rider crashed I got out onto the track a little to keep the rider from getting landed on. The oncoming riders never slowed down and I had to jump back a couple time to keep from getting hit.
Gary Bailey would have clocked them with the flag stick.

Triton
6/3/2017 8:33pm
This is entirely on Davey. This is a professional sport. There should be zero for hire flaggers doing this just to get close to the action. Buck up put professionally trained flaggers together. They would go race to race. How scary and embarrassing. It's amazing how much progress is made forward yet there are still things like this amateur hour that make this sport hard to take seriously anymore.

There should be no excuses from Davey on this and a crew should be put together from here on out. Get on it.
DonM
6/3/2017 8:35pm
The biggest problem is that you had two flaggers on one side of the track with a blind jump/hill...problem would have been solved with one on each side of the track so one of them could have directed the traffic...these two were the biggest idiots I've seen in quite some time...
Hut
6/3/2017 8:43pm
Should riders like AC be penalized for not "exercising caution" under a yellow flag?
bc775
Fantasy
2887th
6/3/2017 8:46pm
This is the third week in a row there has been issue with flaggers and track staff. This incident should be the eye opener for davy and mx sports. Luckily no one was hurt. And the flaggers do have a responsibility of directing traffic from one side of the track to the other. Ap was lucky he was out in no mans land and not his bike. that would of been alessi all over again. I agree the riders beed to slow down as well, maybe its time to bring amateur rules to the pros. When the yellow is out tires stay on the ground. That was for sure very unacceptable for both the flaggers and the riders. Just not reallt sure how you can really access a penalty system to the yellow flags though. If you wanted to fine every rider $1000 for jumping on yellow that would of been 39k in penalties haha. I dont think that will set well with anyone.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
6/3/2017 8:55pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2017 8:56pm
Arent they specifically forbidden to get on the track? Even if they are, what are they gonna do? Take away their lunch?
mb60
6/3/2017 9:01pm
What was sad is that was a AMA official that was just a stupid as the volunteer. Again another reason why these clowns are even involved in mx period.
RhinoRider
6/3/2017 9:02pm
The primary job of the moto fighter/clown is to protect a fallen rider from the other riders by distracting the riders and providing an alternative target for the riders to hit, whether the rider has been bucked off or has jumped off his steel horse. Commonly known as bailing off.

These individuals expose themselves to great danger in order to protect the fallen rider. To this end, they wear bright, loose-fitting clothes that are designed to tear away, with protective gear fitted underneath.[1] Moto clowns require speed, agility, and the ability to anticipate a riders next move. [1] Working closely with very large, very fast and very powerful steel horses, moto clowns are often injured seriously.

TCallahan reported the pay is low, and alot of times done for the love of the sport, free entry and a frozen burrito for lunch.
bc775
Fantasy
2887th
6/3/2017 9:02pm
kzizok wrote:
Arent they specifically forbidden to get on the track? Even if they are, what are they gonna do? Take away their lunch?
Exactly, ban them for not flagging ever again... oh darn. Nick Wey obviously couldnt take anymore of it and handled it very well. I highly doubt anyone at mx sports would of had an issue with that situation if the flaggers actually stepped in.
stillwelding
6/3/2017 9:05pm
Triton wrote:
This is entirely on Davey. This is a professional sport. There should be zero for hire flaggers doing this just to get close to the action...
This is entirely on Davey. This is a professional sport. There should be zero for hire flaggers doing this just to get close to the action. Buck up put professionally trained flaggers together. They would go race to race. How scary and embarrassing. It's amazing how much progress is made forward yet there are still things like this amateur hour that make this sport hard to take seriously anymore.

There should be no excuses from Davey on this and a crew should be put together from here on out. Get on it.
I'd like to see what Davey has to say about this, right here on this forum. Hope he does.
Project 2501
Fantasy
288th
6/3/2017 9:13pm
a corner worker/flagger lost her life today in the motoamerica races. being a "Moto clown" isn't a one sided proposal. They may make a mistake, They may also be killed. At least the pay makes it worth it.
6/3/2017 9:56pm
Stationary yellow flag = ride with caution
Waved yellow = slow down wheels to remain on the ground.
If a rider is caught gaining on the waved yellow flag take his points. I can guarantee after a few riders lose their points they will get the message.

Post a reply to: Those flaggers don't know how to flag

The Latest