Thought for yamaha

Racer142
10/25/2018 3:16pm
So I've seen a lot of post about securing and recovering bikes and I had a thought. Yamaha already has the tuning app so why not just make a preset setting that disables the ignition. I know the code is on the box but that could be removed by the owner easily. They could still push it away but when it won't run they are more likely to leave it in the street to be recovered verses riding it away. When I'm done riding I just update that "map" and the bike comes a brick with wheels until I change it.
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
10/25/2018 3:19pm
I see what you are saying, but that doesn't matter to someone that's parting out the stolen bike.
StevieTimes
10/25/2018 3:30pm
Dude I hate to be all "big brother" or whatever, but hear me out...

When the bike gets near a wifi signal, once a day, it posts to a site on the internet called "IsMyYamahaStolen.com", and it sends the VIN and current GPS coordinates.

If your bike is stolen, you sign up for alerts and get sent the GPS coor... come to think of it, maybe that is a bad idea.

PJRAUS
10/25/2018 3:53pm
I heard that all new Yamaha bikes will be able to have their ecu locked at the dealership, a special electronic tool required to unlock it or it won't start. My dealer told me that it's to make it less attractive to steal bikes of the dealer floor. He went to a service school thing about it recently.
So , it's only to protect dealers really..

The Shop

10/25/2018 4:10pm
Racer142 wrote:
So I've seen a lot of post about securing and recovering bikes and I had a thought. Yamaha already has the tuning app so why not...
So I've seen a lot of post about securing and recovering bikes and I had a thought. Yamaha already has the tuning app so why not just make a preset setting that disables the ignition. I know the code is on the box but that could be removed by the owner easily. They could still push it away but when it won't run they are more likely to leave it in the street to be recovered verses riding it away. When I'm done riding I just update that "map" and the bike comes a brick with wheels until I change it.
A GPS signal built in the bike would be best so you can always track down the bike as long as it has battery life.

I thought about bringing this a year ago after all the bike shops getting hit hard from west coast all the way to the midwest, then to the east coast.

All brands with a battery should already be on this.

10/25/2018 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2018 4:58pm
They would still try to sell them on Craig's list. "Won't start currently, but just needs a rotator spliff gasket to fire it up"
Premix
10/25/2018 5:20pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2018 5:23pm
A GPS signal built in the bike would be best so you can always track down the bike as long as it has battery life. I...
A GPS signal built in the bike would be best so you can always track down the bike as long as it has battery life.

I thought about bringing this a year ago after all the bike shops getting hit hard from west coast all the way to the midwest, then to the east coast.

Won’t work. This has already been defeated in the auto industry. Theives now have “jammers" that put out radio signals at the same frequencies. Essentially it overwhelms the timing signal that in-car devices use to plot their position. Basically the device built into the vehicle is defeated with an anti-theft GPS device and it can’t distinguish the correct GPS signal. They are also now using these to gain access to cars with keyless entry/start.

Technology is great, but if someone wants your stuff bad enough, they are going to get it.
10/25/2018 5:29pm
A GPS signal built in the bike would be best so you can always track down the bike as long as it has battery life. I...

Premix wrote:
Won’t work. This has already been defeated in the auto industry. Theives now have “jammers" that put out radio signals at the same frequencies. Essentially it...
Won’t work. This has already been defeated in the auto industry. Theives now have “jammers" that put out radio signals at the same frequencies. Essentially it overwhelms the timing signal that in-car devices use to plot their position. Basically the device built into the vehicle is defeated with an anti-theft GPS device and it can’t distinguish the correct GPS signal. They are also now using these to gain access to cars with keyless entry/start.

Technology is great, but if someone wants your stuff bad enough, they are going to get it.
Would most of the people that did these crimes be smart enough to do this in the next three years?
Most of the videos show thief's in a hurry with little concept of real intelligence that stole dirt bikes.
kb228
10/25/2018 5:39pm
What about a key fob like what a lot of street bikes have? Make a tough fob that clips securely on your gear
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
10/25/2018 5:46pm
Would most of the people that did these crimes be smart enough to do this in the next three years? Most of the videos show thief's...
Would most of the people that did these crimes be smart enough to do this in the next three years?
Most of the videos show thief's in a hurry with little concept of real intelligence that stole dirt bikes.
You only see the dumb criminals on youtube,the smart ones get your stuff . Lots of criminals use modern cutting edge technology and they all ain't stupid.
Premix
10/25/2018 5:49pm
kb228 wrote:
What about a key fob like what a lot of street bikes have? Make a tough fob that clips securely on your gear
Won’t work. This is now the common preferred method of stealing vehicles with keyless entry/start. They now have devices that extend the range of the receiver on the vehicle to the fob you have on you. Even if you are a good distance away with the fob in your pocket, It will act as if you are standing next to it and allow it to start and drive away.
10/25/2018 5:52pm
PJRAUS wrote:
I heard that all new Yamaha bikes will be able to have their ecu locked at the dealership, a special electronic tool required to unlock it...
I heard that all new Yamaha bikes will be able to have their ecu locked at the dealership, a special electronic tool required to unlock it or it won't start. My dealer told me that it's to make it less attractive to steal bikes of the dealer floor. He went to a service school thing about it recently.
I got told that when I bought my 18 KTM. Sounds like the guy was confused with Yamaha as the dealer also sold Yamaha bikes.
LumpDog841
10/25/2018 6:11pm
Premix wrote:
Won’t work. This has already been defeated in the auto industry. Theives now have “jammers" that put out radio signals at the same frequencies. Essentially it...

Unfortunately you're absolutely right. Guy I work with had his brand new C7 Z06 stolen and even with all the GPS tracking from OnStar the car was never recovered. Guessing it either got parted out or is currently residing somewhere in Eastern Europe or South America.
PJRAUS
10/25/2018 6:14pm
PJRAUS wrote:
I heard that all new Yamaha bikes will be able to have their ecu locked at the dealership, a special electronic tool required to unlock it...
689 wrote:
I got told that when I bought my 18 KTM. Sounds like the guy was confused with Yamaha as the dealer also sold Yamaha bikes.
Nah, this was told to me by my Yamaha dealer, he'd just been down to Melbourne to learn how its going to work
kunk
Fantasy
3008th
10/25/2018 6:19pm
PJRAUS wrote:
689 wrote:
PJRAUS wrote:
Nah, this was told to me by my Yamaha dealer, he'd just been down to Melbourne to learn how its going to work
KTM also does this with their four strokes and maybe the TPI bikes.
Racer142
10/25/2018 7:09pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2018 7:10pm
I realize someone trying to part out the bike wouldn't care it doesn't run this is just to stop the basic thief. I had a friend have a bike stolen that didn't run and they found it in a field up the street. People push the bike just far enough away to start it and ride off and if the bike won't run they leave it. Just an extra measure not a primary.
PJRAUS
10/25/2018 8:59pm
Racer142 wrote:
So I've seen a lot of post about securing and recovering bikes and I had a thought. Yamaha already has the tuning app so why not...
Well it sounds like a simple thing for them to do ,so why not? Good idea!

Post a reply to: Thought for yamaha

The Latest