Thoughts on Chiropractors?

WFO
Does anyone use them on a regular basis? Do they help?
My back is no where near in good shape but I work out and I'm not in much real pain (until I fall)

Best
|
rbm33
Fantasy
1947th
1/7/2020 6:48am
95% are quacks and dangerous, but if you can find one of the 5% they can be very beneficial.
slipdog
1/7/2020 6:52am Edited Date/Time 1/7/2020 7:03am
If you're ever in Houston...

1/7/2020 7:06am
At best they bandaid the real issue, at worst they make it worse. Get with a physical therapist that works with athletes

The Shop

moto0852
1/7/2020 7:13am
I had some good...mostly bad experiences. Most do nothing. I may be tainted though. My dad was an M.D. growing up and he always bristled at the fact that most of them call themselves Doctors.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
1/7/2020 7:15am Edited Date/Time 1/7/2020 7:17am
if you find a good one its amazing. i've knocked my pelvis out of alignment( right hip bone was 2" higher then the left) in some whoops last spring which immediately pinched the sciatic nerve. Could barely walk til i saw my chiro, in one visit he had me straightened out. I was sore for a few days where the muscles had locked up To get the full benefits you need to stretch regularly and a strong core does alot to help protect your back. If your looking for one, make sure they do the real shit. I've used chiro's that use the actuator device and that doesnt do shit. The one I go to is into reiki as well and i never feel more relaxed then when i leave there.
gt80rider
1/7/2020 7:20am
Grew up on the farm... local chiro was seriously on-point... it works for sure... but.. like anything, there are plenty of bad ones out there too.......

my current day solution- YOGA....... once you get good at yoga, you can do everything the chiro does, but at home for free, and by yourself.......
K-Dub613
1/7/2020 7:57am
My uncle is a chiropractor and I enjoy getting a realignment from time to time. The adjustments, for me, are relieving and help.

If you haven't tried one, give it a shot and see how you like it.
Drfletcher
1/7/2020 8:02am
You wouldn't ride the track with the front wheel misaligned so why go through life with your spine misaligned?

Just like any profession, some are good and some are bad. Unfortunately, I am finding more bad ones than good ones lately.
fourfourone
1/7/2020 8:23am
I have a messed up lower back and neck from riding. I tried the chiropractor and sports massage(extremely deep tissue). Found a bit of relief but had way more success from physical therapy.
Kelz87
Fantasy
1372nd
1/7/2020 8:25am
I go once or twice a month to keep everything aligned. I don’t think it’s a miracle worker, but it seems to help me with dull upper-middle back pain/tightness
Panic_Rev
1/7/2020 8:35am
A little repetitive, but once you find a good chiro they can be useful. The same can be said for a good massage therapist.

I personally go to a chiro that practices A.R.T. We spend 20-45 minutes stretching and depending on the issue there may or may not be an adjustment. I've found most of my lower back pain comes from my quads getting tight from cycling. When this happens I spend 5 minutes doing the stretches he taught me and it goes away.

Snoqualmie
1/7/2020 8:36am
Yes and yes.
Regularly see one, 3 times a month.
I sit in airplane seats a lot each month, so needed 😉
Helpful for me- no ‘pulled back muscles’ anymore plus generally feel better.
Find a good one and stick with it.
Many pro MXers and pro Golfers swear by them
1/7/2020 8:40am Edited Date/Time 1/7/2020 8:44am
Back issues are not all that complicated. Stretch. Strengthen your core. Use good posture and form.

People grossly under-appreciate the importance of stretching. That's mostly what a chiropractor is doing, followed by a loud crack to make you feel like they're really doing something more than stretching your muscles and tissues.

This book is a lot cheaper than a Chiropractor:
https://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Redefine-Your-Conquer-Confidence/dp/1…
JustMX
1/7/2020 8:43am
Been going to them since I was 16 and tweaked my back pretty bad working at a machine shop operating a 200 ton press assembling 210 lb rollers for a steel mill.

Had my back all whack. Standing relaxed my hands were about 4 inches different in their heighth.

Local chiropractor popped me back and put me on a roller table, and back to work the next day.

Several years ago I had my first but of sciatica and found a local one the had a small practice.

No appointment needed, and if you came in the morning you could come back late the same day for no charge. I went 4 straight days, twice a day and he had me good for a couple years.
c0ncEpT
1/7/2020 8:44am
Nothing but good experiences here.

Loosens up my neck and lower back ever time I go. Feel like a new man walking out of there.

I'm all for more holistic approaches to medicine. Last thing anyone needs is to be loaded up with drugs all the time.

But like anything you have to be smart about it to. If your back is bone on bone or you've dislocated your shoulder 5 times you should probably go see a medical doctor.
50dippin
1/7/2020 8:44am
I get a kick out of people actually thinking their spine is "out of alignment" and cracking it will somehow put it back in place. If your spine isn't in the proper curvature it is from muscle imbalances, poor posture and improper movement(minus people with actual medical spine issues). Learning how to move properly and strengthening muscles that should keep you in the right place is what you need. While sometimes cracking your back feels good temporarily it really doesn't do anything to help long term.
And never let them aggressively, "adjust" your neck. This is a traumatic movement that puts a lot of pressure on one of the most sensitive spots on your entire body. Cases of vertebral artery dissection are becoming more prevalent due to new standard of looking for them, and chiro's are one of the main causes.
tprice07
1/7/2020 8:55am
Read up about the origins of chiropractics. They like to call themselves doctors even though they do not actually have a doctorate.
mikec265
1/7/2020 8:56am
I have been helped on several occasions by both chiropractors and physical therapist. Physical therapist will usually tell you that chiropractors are bs, but my back begs to differ.
Francis377
1/7/2020 8:57am
If you’re in strong pain before going to the Chiro consider getting an XRay or MRI if you can . I was having my back “re-aligned” many times for almost 2 years before finding out I had two ruptured discs and the Chiro only made it worse. After The MRI , I got a cortisone injection in the spine and did a lot of planking exercises, no issues since.
ti473
1/7/2020 9:01am
I wish I could get my $2500 back... and he was "a friend of mine".
To be honest it was hard to tell if he was the best snake oil salesman on the planet or if he actually believed his on bullshit.
motokawi818
1/7/2020 9:26am
Francis377 wrote:
If you’re in strong pain before going to the Chiro consider getting an XRay or MRI if you can . I was having my back “re-aligned”...
If you’re in strong pain before going to the Chiro consider getting an XRay or MRI if you can . I was having my back “re-aligned” many times for almost 2 years before finding out I had two ruptured discs and the Chiro only made it worse. After The MRI , I got a cortisone injection in the spine and did a lot of planking exercises, no issues since.
And don’t let the chiro do the x-ray. They’re just charging more for a test they’re not trained to read.
cslacker
1/7/2020 9:48am
Francis377 wrote:
If you’re in strong pain before going to the Chiro consider getting an XRay or MRI if you can . I was having my back “re-aligned”...
And don’t let the chiro do the x-ray. They’re just charging more for a test they’re not trained to read.
They get more than enough diagnostic and radiology training to read a simple xray if they go to a reputable institution.

loftyair
1/7/2020 9:57am
Thank God for the Chiro that helped me!
gt80rider
1/7/2020 10:01am
Back issues are not all that complicated. Stretch. Strengthen your core. Use good posture and form. People grossly under-appreciate the importance of stretching. That's mostly what...
Back issues are not all that complicated. Stretch. Strengthen your core. Use good posture and form.

People grossly under-appreciate the importance of stretching. That's mostly what a chiropractor is doing, followed by a loud crack to make you feel like they're really doing something more than stretching your muscles and tissues.

This book is a lot cheaper than a Chiropractor:
https://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Redefine-Your-Conquer-Confidence/dp/1…
This is truth... Save your cash!!
agn5009
1/7/2020 10:36am
mikec265 wrote:
I have been helped on several occasions by both chiropractors and physical therapist. Physical therapist will usually tell you that chiropractors are bs, but my back...
I have been helped on several occasions by both chiropractors and physical therapist. Physical therapist will usually tell you that chiropractors are bs, but my back begs to differ.
My wife is a physical therapist. She says they're all quacks Laughing
turnip
1/7/2020 11:16am
WFO wrote:
Does anyone use them on a regular basis? Do they help? My back is no where near in good shape but I work out and I'm...
Does anyone use them on a regular basis? Do they help?
My back is no where near in good shape but I work out and I'm not in much real pain (until I fall)

Best
Let's have some fun with this. I'm doing some online CE today so I'll answer these to the best of my ability and I'll try to link some research along the way too.

Here's some background:
Entering my 7th year of practice, certified in Active Release Technique (soft tissue work), use McKenzie Technique for spine-related disorders (a lot of PTs do this but over the last few years it picking up steam in the chiro world), and am currently going through a program at Univ of Pitt's Health Science University about the best and latest research for spine-care. I can't answer specific health questions since there may be a large amount of variation from person to person depending on history but if you are looking for a doc for a specific issue, I'll look in your area and refer you to someone I know or someone with the proper education for your issue.
Also, I raced moto for about 8 years in school into college. Been to close to 20 SX races and went to Mud Bud of Nations in 2018.

First Question:
Some people find relief with regular visits but there isn't really any research that supports this - that's like saying some people respond to ibuprofen or CBD and some don't. Too many variables to track. But, if you have an issue and want it to be diagnosed and have a plan, then I'm on board with that. Personally, I only get treated when I feel like I'm having an issue which might be 6 times a year for some neck/upper back pain from getting pitched over the bars. Do they help? Maybe - depends on the issue. Neuromusculoskeletal issues are our bread and butter - stay away from chiros claiming to help other medical issues.
turnip
1/7/2020 11:18am
slipdog wrote:
If you're ever in Houston... [embed][/embed]
If you're ever in Houston...

Don't go to this guy. He bastardized a technique for scoliosis. There is benefit in some light traction but this is like pinning the throttle leading up to single into a corner - don't do it.
lumpy790
1/7/2020 11:19am
I have an amazing massage therapist that works in a chiropractor office and they send some of their patients to her. Cupping works.

In a way. They do kind of the same muscle stretching .
turnip
1/7/2020 11:21am
moto0852 wrote:
I had some good...mostly bad experiences. Most do nothing. I may be tainted though. My dad was an M.D. growing up and he always bristled at...
I had some good...mostly bad experiences. Most do nothing. I may be tainted though. My dad was an M.D. growing up and he always bristled at the fact that most of them call themselves Doctors.
I get why MDs are testy about this. Fact is doctor is simply an educational status that is not limited the medical profession. PhD is a prime example - it's just an amount of work done in a subject. Plenty of professors in academia go by "Dr" because they've earned it. Physical Therapists now have a Doctorate degree too - they should be called Dr.

There may be some confusion so to clear it up, first visit: Hi, I'm Dr. Turnip, your chiropractor.

Post a reply to: Thoughts on Chiropractors?

The Latest