Thoughts so far this season?

level
Edited Date/Time 2/11/2019 2:20pm
What are everyone’s thoughts so far now we got some races behind us? Here’s mine.

Talent is deep. Even with several riders out with injury you have quite a few people that could win the 450 class each week. No more a two man show like we’ve seen so many years.

That 450 Yamaha or team just does not bode well. Sure you have barcia but he’s inconsistent on that bike. Don’t know if it’s the bike or the program. Seems like every year you see major talent struggle on the yami.

Despite what many people might say Tomac and Roczen are doing just fine.

Reed doing better than I expected but I believe he said this is his last year. Would like to see a podium from him.

West 250 class is weak. Most the major talent has bumped up to the 450 class making the 450 class awesome this year.

Webb looks like a completely different rider on the KTM. Amazing what a good bike, program and team can do.

Marvin struggling a bit with starts and falls but his speed is there and barring any injuries he is due a win soon. He could be the breakout star of the season and come out of nowhere and start winning and have the red plate soon. Just a prediction.

Lot of 450 guys playing the long game and it’s smart.

What I miss? Insights?
|
level
2/10/2019 4:29pm
One more

Malcolm getting injured was a major major major bummer. He was riding so good. Had so much speed.
2/10/2019 4:29pm
Aside from last nights, I'm impressed with the tracks so far. Also, it's nice to tune in each week with no idea whose going to win.
2/10/2019 4:32pm
The tracks are quite basic and don’t challenge the riders enough (with the exception of the mud) so there isn’t a lot separating everyone
Steve 396
2/10/2019 4:48pm
level wrote:
What are everyone’s thoughts so far now we got some races behind us? Here’s mine. Talent is deep. Even with several riders out with injury you...
What are everyone’s thoughts so far now we got some races behind us? Here’s mine.

Talent is deep. Even with several riders out with injury you have quite a few people that could win the 450 class each week. No more a two man show like we’ve seen so many years.

That 450 Yamaha or team just does not bode well. Sure you have barcia but he’s inconsistent on that bike. Don’t know if it’s the bike or the program. Seems like every year you see major talent struggle on the yami.

Reed doing better than I expected but I believe he said this is his last year. Would like to see a podium from him.

West 250 class is weak. Most the major talent has bumped up to the 450 class making the 450 class awesome this year.

Webb looks like a completely different rider on the KTM. Amazing what a good bike, program and team can do.

Marvin struggling a bit with starts and falls but his speed is there and barring any injuries he is due a win soon. He could be the breakout star of the season and come out of nowhere and start winning and have the red plate soon. Just a prediction.

What I miss? Insights?
Pretty good summary I think.

The Shop

Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
2/10/2019 4:48pm
Season is going great, Marvin and Ken haven’t even won yet so many race winners.

About the Yamaha 450 team. The Yamaha 250 is considered the best bike in the class based on shootouts and what privateers choose, then what is up with 450? If the bike is the same except motor of course, it should be good right? I think the bike is fine, it’s the riders, one is banged up and the other a rookie.
nealb129
2/10/2019 4:53pm
I don't think we could ask for a better year.. you could have thrown a blanket over the top 4 last night for the majority of the race.

I think the racing in the 450 class is the best its ever been, I have really enjoyed this year and hope to see 4-5 multi race winners in that class.
DPR250R
2/10/2019 4:59pm
From the couch... Kenny seems to be gaining steam. He is looking stronger week in and week out.

Wondering if Musquin and Tomac are not 100% or if their 100% doesn’t set them apart anymore.

All I know is all I think about all week is Saturday night... and it’s awesome.

observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
2/10/2019 5:09pm
This is the tightest I’ve ever seen the points in the top 5. Ever.

It’s seriously so exciting considering we’re almost halfway into the season. It’s certainly no runaway. Love watching this unfold.
shortcourse
2/10/2019 5:13pm

Kinda hard to call the West weak, et's see how that shakes out after the East/West Shootouts. Other wise your pretty well on point.
2/10/2019 5:50pm
level wrote:
What are everyone’s thoughts so far now we got some races behind us? Here’s mine. Talent is deep. Even with several riders out with injury you...

What I miss? Insights?
I want to stick it to all the people who wrote off and gave Kawasaki shit for signing Joey Savatgy!
Sully
2/10/2019 6:20pm
The tracks are quite basic and don’t challenge the riders enough (with the exception of the mud) so there isn’t a lot separating everyone
From the comfort of my couch, the track didn't look particularly difficult last night, but this is the only track this year to make the 250 LCQ look like a local beginner race...
level
2/10/2019 6:51pm
Savatgy gained some serious confidence last night but as we all know who have ridden and raced arm pump is a bitch and sustaining that amount of adrenaline for that long of a time. Your body can only take so much. Now if he runs up front again he will know what to do.
JWRM
2/10/2019 7:03pm
I think it's an absolutely rad season so far. Killer racing, killer racers, awesome new track ideas (the double double, etc). Biggest bummers so far were Malcolm getting hurt and Barcia's wreck, but that's how it goes. I would complain about the mudders, but complaining about the weather is pretty much as useless as an asshole on an elbow. I'm kicking myself for not getting tickets, but it's way fun going to my mom and dad's house and making food and working on our bikes between practice and the event, haha. I love it.
Timo_2824
2/10/2019 7:32pm
Ramrod wrote:
Season is going great, Marvin and Ken haven’t even won yet so many race winners. About the Yamaha 450 team. The Yamaha 250 is considered the...
Season is going great, Marvin and Ken haven’t even won yet so many race winners.

About the Yamaha 450 team. The Yamaha 250 is considered the best bike in the class based on shootouts and what privateers choose, then what is up with 450? If the bike is the same except motor of course, it should be good right? I think the bike is fine, it’s the riders, one is banged up and the other a rookie.
It's not the bike, listen to Webb's interviews. He used to train at 70% but Aldon called him on it the first day. It took until half way through December before Webb could do the full workout for an entire week. Plus Webb has even said with the KTM he was changing too much and chasing an unrealistic feel. He decided that he was going to just ride the bike and adapt to the track conditions.
wfoskir
2/10/2019 7:34pm
Good summary of the racing this year.
The racing has been great this year. Multiple riders capable of winning.
The race last night to me was a bit boring. The riders all following each other and seemed to have a hard time passing. Waiting for a mistake and then they could pass. It is part of racing but more exciting when they can make a pass without waiting for a mistake.
I am a Barcia and Baggett fan, so I was bummed Barcia wasn't able to move up (does make you wonder about the bike?) and Baggett crashed.
Savatgy is riding great this year but seems to have a dark cloud following him. Some bad luck at a few races.
I thought Plessinger would have more to show this year but he seems to throw it away right when you think he's got it.
Webb is doing great. Bike or Trainer? YZ450 does seem to have something going on but I think it is the trainer and how he pushes Webb. He even stated it.
I hope the season keeps the hits coming!
mikec265
2/10/2019 10:00pm
I have really enjoyed every race so far. More than any year as a whole in the last 10 years. I just wish Anderson, Osborne, Malcolm, and Weston were healthy to make it even better. Throw Jmart in there too. If someone from the geriatric unit can win one round I'd be completely happy.
Cortami79
2/10/2019 11:53pm
I agree with you OP

Really really bummed with Malcolm, that really sucked.

I also like to see the flashes of speed Bogle and Wilson show, but they are just a tick off of the top guys. However, they have had some serious injuries the past few years as well.

Seely is in the mix speed wise sometimes, but that injury of last year really hit him.

So far I expected more from Plessinger and Hill. Especially Hill as he hyped himself up the last couple of years about the 450. He had a gnarly crash two weeks ago though, so let's see if he can heal up and impress some people to get/keep a good 450 ride. Savatgy really really impressed me this weekend and I really hope he can keep his ride for next year.

motomike137
2/11/2019 4:03am Edited Date/Time 2/11/2019 8:36am
Best damn season in years so far. Bummed that Bam Bam has had a run of shit luck again. Love that Webb has upset the apple cart and looks in the zone. Impressed by Kenny and Eli's patience. Don't know whether I believe Marv has what it takes after watching come apart at the seams in that heat race in spite of his standing in the points. Can Savatgy shake his late race rep for folding and stay out front or at least podium? Can Bagget ever find consistency? Imagine if Malcolm and Zach and Anderson were out there. Best damn season in years.

edit: this is what you get when a whole crop of 250 throttle jockeys graduate and a former 250 star finds his mojo
2/11/2019 4:38am
yeah good summary, wicked season so far imo just look at the points, says it all really and we cannot ask for more (apart from mook not being here) - i do wish Ken would pull the trigger and it's almost frustrating at times to watch BUT we have to remember not only did he nearly lose his career but he could have lost arms, god damn hero in my eyes and to be having the run he is having is such an inspiration

i think it is a bit unfair to call the W250 weak though, it is new blood time now and it had to be refreshed at some point - we will see a new king this year and that will bring more up to the fight.

I hope AF can finally live up to what we expect in the east

I hope the 2nd part is as good or better and we can keep all guys on track and safe
Casting
2/11/2019 4:40am
This is the type of season we all hope for, but rarely get treated to. That being said, the past few seasons have been exciting and not your typical cookie-cutter season with someone pulling away by round 5.

It's a good time to be a fan.
drt410
2/11/2019 4:46am Edited Date/Time 2/11/2019 4:48am
One of the best years in a long time. There was a lot of hype going into the season and its been even better than expected. For a while we had MC, then RC, then RV dominate, then RD, then even ET with # of race wins. This year the red plate changes every week and we get a new winner. Roczen just needs a W. Webb looks like the next great rider, he has the heart and the aggression. History shows besides Reed and Stew 1 rider usually dominates. It could be him next. Anderson I see as one of those riders who wins between a rider going on a run.
2/11/2019 4:50am
level wrote:

What I miss? Insights?
Just a couple thioughts:

YAMAHA- IS it the bike/program?? (Honest question) I mean, we were all raving about Barcia last season before his injury. And lets not forget he's had a win so far, then an injury. I don't think Yamaha is doing anything wrong. Could we/should we be expecting more from Plessinger?

KTM- Sure, Webb is a different rider on the KTM/The KTM program. With that in mind, when you say about Marv struggling, if we took Marv off the KTM and put him on a different bike, would he be further back in the pack?

Going back a few years, in Moto GP there was a time when everyone wanted to be on a Honda. Like, it was seen that "if that guy had a Honda he would be on the pace"- I guess it worked for some, but it disappointed for others. Is KTM getting like that in MX/SX?
BobKerr
2/11/2019 5:06am
Good summary.

I'm just happy that no one has a huge points lead and the top four are so close.
ga_pike
2/11/2019 5:24am
My question is what does Kawi do in the future if AC wins this year? Tomac, Savatgy, and AC on 450s?
BobKerr
2/11/2019 5:51am Edited Date/Time 2/11/2019 5:53am
ga_pike wrote:
My question is what does Kawi do in the future if AC wins this year? Tomac, Savatgy, and AC on 450s?
I think Savatgy only has a 1 yr contract. My guess is AC takes Savatgy's place. Savatgy is currently 14th in the points.
Bramlett321
2/11/2019 6:25am
I want to stick it to all the people who wrote off and gave Kawasaki shit for signing Joey Savatgy!
The guy really is riding well and I really wish he would have been able to hold his composure but I'm sure he blew up and got discombobulated a little bit.
2/11/2019 7:24am
I just want Chad fighting for a win. The crowd would go crazy. JGR deserves some success.

Post a reply to: Thoughts so far this season?

The Latest