To the cord Cutters: YouTubeTV or Hulu + Live TV

Preston412
I am going to cut the cord, so my question to you all streamers, if you have used both, which one is better all around?
Any advise is appreciated. YouTube TV seems to have more in the base package but I am truly lost when it comes to knowing what is best for streaming services.

My Internet is hoovering around 50 MBPS and I bought an LG smart TV last week. I can't download NBC Gold on the LG but I can mirror my iphone so I am good there.

thanks
|
TXDirt
9/21/2020 10:38am
They are both fine. I sorta prefer the YouTube TV interface better. Get an Amazon 4K Fire Stick. Download YouTube TV and the NBC Sports app. You don’t have to mess with screen mirroring. The Amazon 4K Fire Stick is awesome.
tuttle425
9/21/2020 10:40am
I cut the cord a couple years ago and went with YouTube TV. At the time it was only $45 a month. it's now $75. When I switched I tried every available streaming platform and YouTube was by far the best one. Best stream quality and easiest guide to use. Before my cable/internet was $250 a month using UVerse and it went to $100 by going to YouTube and Google Fiber.

Again, this was 2 years ago so things could have changed.
40acres
9/21/2020 10:44am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2020 10:46am
A VPN and an IPTV subscription on an Amazon firestick. No roku, as you cannot sideload iptv on them any longer. However, most iptv services provide apps that can install on your tv, so no need for an Amazon firestick or android box. All PPV, sports channels, movies series etc (5000+ channels worldwide in most cases) on demand for about $10-$20/mo depending on which IPTV provider you choose.
Preston412
9/21/2020 10:45am
TXDirt wrote:
They are both fine. I sorta prefer the YouTube TV interface better. Get an Amazon 4K Fire Stick. Download YouTube TV and the NBC Sports app...
They are both fine. I sorta prefer the YouTube TV interface better. Get an Amazon 4K Fire Stick. Download YouTube TV and the NBC Sports app. You don’t have to mess with screen mirroring. The Amazon 4K Fire Stick is awesome.
My wife bought me a Roku stick yesterday for the NBC Sports Gold, so I may use it. I just didn't mention it because I can mirror the phone.

thanks

The Shop

Preston412
9/21/2020 10:53am
40acres wrote:
A VPN and an IPTV subscription on an Amazon firestick. No roku, as you cannot sideload iptv on them any longer. However, most iptv services provide...
A VPN and an IPTV subscription on an Amazon firestick. No roku, as you cannot sideload iptv on them any longer. However, most iptv services provide apps that can install on your tv, so no need for an Amazon firestick or android box. All PPV, sports channels, movies series etc (5000+ channels worldwide in most cases) on demand for about $10-$20/mo depending on which IPTV provider you choose.
I haven't open the Roku box so I will look into your suggestion before using the stick. Which IPTV provider do you recommend?
I am setting up to go into the future here. Once my computer tech interest is filled with the need to do things and gadgets to have, I will have multiple TV's streaming from my secret tech room.
40acres
9/21/2020 10:57am
Preston412 wrote:
I haven't open the Roku box so I will look into your suggestion before using the stick. Which IPTV provider do you recommend? I am setting...
I haven't open the Roku box so I will look into your suggestion before using the stick. Which IPTV provider do you recommend?
I am setting up to go into the future here. Once my computer tech interest is filled with the need to do things and gadgets to have, I will have multiple TV's streaming from my secret tech room.
I am currently using YouStream and have been for about 3 months. XCiptv was good, SprtzTV was as well, but i believe they've been shut down. There are literally hundreds of them out there and most offer a 24 hour trial period to test run. You'll want a good, vpn service as well so your isp doesn't catch wind and shut you down. A lot if them offer discounts for multi-month subs, but i only do 1 month at a time because I'm always trying different ones. Plus, if they get shut down, you're usually out the money you've spent.
motomike137
9/21/2020 11:16am
Once you cut the chord there are a bunch of options depending on what content you are looking for. I currently have Sling, Amazon, Netflix and NBC Sports. My brother still has cable internet and I use his password to access all of the NBC Sports content besides paying for MX/SX Gold Pass. It's nice because you can mix and match whatever you want and cancel any of them at any time.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
9/21/2020 11:26am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2020 11:26am
If you prefer to record shows and skip through commercials, YouTubeTV is the best option from my experience.
9/21/2020 11:28am
I've had both and prefer Hulu because of the access to other TV Shows and Movies. Especially since we recently cancelled Netflix, but thats a debate for a different place.
biondo
9/21/2020 11:52am
Best thing we did was cut the Cable!!
Now using Rca Yagi digital antenna to get local channels and sprint internet with Netflix,Amazon, Roku tv ...Sure saves the big bills!!
9/21/2020 11:57am
We just cut ours, and other than Amazon Prime and Netflix, we use Pluto and Roku apps. Honestly, I don't know why anyone would pay for Youtube tv or any of the others. I will pay for my racing subscriptions and we're good
charge
9/21/2020 11:59am
YouTube. Ps vue was the best but they discontinued
Jaybird67k
9/21/2020 12:04pm
I haven't had Internet or cable since 2012 and I love it !!!
I was a internet junkie....lol.

I use my phone for everything. Mostly casting to my TV for Netflix or NBC Gold.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
9/21/2020 1:02pm
FYI - Roku now has live streaming TV for free on their app and its not half bad to be honest. MAVtv has a channel on there plus some other adventure sports channels. Also, multiple news sources if that's your thing. Its not as good of live TV as a pay program like Youtube TV, but for free its pretty damn good. Lot better than live off air channels via an antenna. Tons of kids shows and a few movie channels. I've been kind of surprised by it. Youtube TV just raised their prices from $49.99/month to $64.99/month. Get so tired of these companies baiting you in with lower introductory rates then jacking the prices up 30-50%, and do so by claiming they are adding new channels - when the channels they add suck and are worthless POS's.

Redbox also has live streaming free TV. Not as good as Roku TV live though.
Neverclear
9/21/2020 1:21pm
Once you cut the chord there are a bunch of options depending on what content you are looking for. I currently have Sling, Amazon, Netflix and...
Once you cut the chord there are a bunch of options depending on what content you are looking for. I currently have Sling, Amazon, Netflix and NBC Sports. My brother still has cable internet and I use his password to access all of the NBC Sports content besides paying for MX/SX Gold Pass. It's nice because you can mix and match whatever you want and cancel any of them at any time.
This is the issue I've run into. Someone needs to have a regular cable/dish subscription to access content on a bunch of the apps, or else it gets really expensive buying everything individually.

I just set-up Firestick TV here on Friday. Peacock can only be sideloaded for now, and it was really the only reason I bought the stick since NBC moved the Premier League off of NBC Gold. For years I've been accessing Gold and other content using a tower PC connected to my main TV, and it'd worked out great. But for $50, I figured I'd try the stick.

Both of my kids use the Firestick. They use my regular cable subscription for access to most content, and I use their accounts for access to individual apps I'm interested in (Hulu, etc).

Time will tell if I use it very often.
ProKawi24
9/21/2020 1:21pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2020 1:23pm
First off, I use Roku and also have a PS4.

I'll tell you right now, I've tried all of them. YoutubeTV, Sling, Hulu live tv, Fubo, I even had PS Vue back when it was available. The BEST one I've come across and still use today is called "Philo". It's only $20 a month and you get tons of premium channels. The only drawback is no local channels but compared to the massive price difference (and increasing prices) of the other services, it's no contest.

I just recently canceled Netflix because the price keeps going up and the movie/tv show selection is crap. Mostly B movies with a few solid ones thrown in here and there but not worth it. I also canceled Hulu because I've noticed many shows that USED to available are now only available with Hulu Live (again, way too expensive).

For MX/SX I have the NBC app on Roku.

I also have an Amazon membership but mostly only use their tv service to buy/rent movies since their "Prime" selection is on par with Netflix and I get a discount on HBO by using Amazon.

As mentioned before, Roku does have a fairly decent live tv service for free. Pluto is free but I've noticed they replay the same set of episodes over n over. They have dedicated channels which is cool, for example they have a channel just for "This Old House" and all they play are episodes of the show which is one of my favorite things to drink coffee and wake up to on a Saturday morning.

SteezGeez
Fantasy
476th
9/21/2020 1:33pm
I have Hulu with Live TV and really like it. Had Sling, PS VUE, and Youtube TV before finally deciding on Hulu.
number six
9/21/2020 1:47pm
If one spends some time on youtube & learns about the various IPTV options & how access them, they are far & away the most content for essentially pennies per day. Virtually every live cable channel - worldwide !

Current favorites ;
Gamemaster panel - 8 bucks per month. ( runs on the tvimate app @ 10 bucks /year )
Vigilante video - 10 bucks a month.

There can be a learning curve to some degree, but once you get these type iptv services up & running, theres no comparisom to anything out there.
The intermediate services like youtubeTV, Roku & others are still 5-10 times more $$ for far less content.
Theres really no reason to pay much of anything for cable TV in 2020.
Fantasy
2106th
9/21/2020 1:50pm
I have Hulu with live tv. I would say I use NBC Sports gold twice as much. I only use Hulu for NFL.
STStevew199
9/21/2020 2:16pm
I like Youtube TV a lot. I can watch it where ever I want from my phone and when I'm home I stream it on any Smart TV. My wife has a log in as well. You can tell YoutubeTV to record whatever you want, watch Live TV, and watch previous episodes. Not sure if every streaming service has this. I watched every stage of the Tour de France, didn't miss a Uconn basketball game, watched every F1 race, and haven't missed a SX or MX race. I think it's $60 a month.
tuttle425
9/21/2020 4:02pm
The best thing about all of these services is that they offer free trials. Give em all a shot and see what you like best.
clem
9/21/2020 5:15pm
YouTube tv has local channels also so that's a plus if you like to watch the news. This is the first year I can watch motogp, motoamerica, supercross, motocross and flattrack on one provider.
Preston412
9/21/2020 5:25pm
Sling TV was a 3 day trail. Not a fan. Trying Hulu this week and will try YouTube next week. Thanks for the info. I will be looking into IPTV services
TXDirt
9/21/2020 6:14pm
40acres wrote:
I am currently using YouStream and have been for about 3 months. XCiptv was good, SprtzTV was as well, but i believe they've been shut down...
I am currently using YouStream and have been for about 3 months. XCiptv was good, SprtzTV was as well, but i believe they've been shut down. There are literally hundreds of them out there and most offer a 24 hour trial period to test run. You'll want a good, vpn service as well so your isp doesn't catch wind and shut you down. A lot if them offer discounts for multi-month subs, but i only do 1 month at a time because I'm always trying different ones. Plus, if they get shut down, you're usually out the money you've spent.
All the ones you listed are all illegal. You mention needing a VPN to hide your online IP address precisely because the sites you mentioned are all pirating content and then reselling it to you. Which it’s also illegal for end users to stream stolen content.

There are some legit IPTV services. And there are a bunch that are pirating content and reselling it to gullible end users.

The ISPs are required by law to monitor for pirated content. A good friend of mine had his internet shut down by AT&T at his apartment due to pirated IPTV. And since his apartment complex only has AT&T available he is shit out of luck.

Just because you are paying some company $10 or $20 a month for “500 channels” doesn’t at all make it any more legitimate.

I know you already know this because you use VPN to hide your tracks.

I just think you should also let people know they could get in fairly serious trouble if caught pirating video content. Including having their internet shut down completely.

Buyer Beware.

There are a few legitimate IPTV services. I’m not including things like Netflix or Hulu as they are also considered IPTV.

Just a word of caution for those who think they can magically pay some company $10 a month or $99 a year and all of a sudden get all sports channels live. Or 500 cable channels.

Yeah you can. But not legally.
40acres
9/21/2020 6:28pm
TXDirt wrote:
All the ones you listed are all illegal. You mention needing a VPN to hide your online IP address precisely because the sites you mentioned are...
All the ones you listed are all illegal. You mention needing a VPN to hide your online IP address precisely because the sites you mentioned are all pirating content and then reselling it to you. Which it’s also illegal for end users to stream stolen content.

There are some legit IPTV services. And there are a bunch that are pirating content and reselling it to gullible end users.

The ISPs are required by law to monitor for pirated content. A good friend of mine had his internet shut down by AT&T at his apartment due to pirated IPTV. And since his apartment complex only has AT&T available he is shit out of luck.

Just because you are paying some company $10 or $20 a month for “500 channels” doesn’t at all make it any more legitimate.

I just think you should also let people know they could get in fairly serious trouble if caught pirating video content. Including having their internet shut down completely.

Buyer Beware.

There are a few legitimate IPTV services. I’m not including things like Netflix or Hulu as they are also considered IPTV.

Just a word of caution for those who think they can magically pay some company $10 a month or $99 a year and all of a sudden get all sports channels live. Or 500 cable channels.

Well no shit, SherlockLaughing
TXDirt
9/21/2020 6:49pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2020 6:49pm
TXDirt wrote:
All the ones you listed are all illegal. You mention needing a VPN to hide your online IP address precisely because the sites you mentioned are...

Buyer Beware.

40acres wrote:
Well no shit, SherlockLaughing
When someone has a question about cord cutting it’s kinda cheesy to recommend they steal tv service just because you are doing it. lol
40acres
9/21/2020 6:57pm
TXDirt wrote:
When someone has a question about cord cutting it’s kinda cheesy to recommend they steal tv service just because you are doing it. lol
Okay buddy, sounds good.
420Racing
9/21/2020 7:01pm
Tried em' all on Roku and like utube tv the best for sports but use nbc gold for moto!
9/22/2020 5:13am
If you have T-Mobile you can get Netflix for like $5 per month. I cut the cord and never looked back.
kb228
9/22/2020 5:26am
Im currently doing a roku/hulu setup. Just choose whatever one has the channels you like.

Post a reply to: To the cord Cutters: YouTubeTV or Hulu + Live TV

The Latest