Tomac - Tough luck in Arlington

adamdf
2/12/2017 4:04pm
With Dungey stuck back in the pack and finding it difficult to push forward, last night was Tomac's chance to make up some good points and make this series into a really close title fight. Such bad luck to have that front brake problem. Feel bad for the guy...

It was truly a crazy night of racing.

Great night for Marvin though and I'm glad to see him get a much deserved win.
|
TriRacer27
Fantasy
42nd
2/12/2017 4:11pm
I this case, I agree with RC when he says that champions make their own luck. Yeah, it was bad luck that his brake was damaged from the crash, but it wouldn't have been damaged if he hadn't crashed. Dungey thus far has been the only rider out there to avoid costly mistakes in the main events, and thus his 18 pt lead.
trevor310mx
Fantasy
3250th
2/12/2017 4:13pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
I this case, I agree with RC when he says that champions make their own luck. Yeah, it was bad luck that his brake was damaged...
I this case, I agree with RC when he says that champions make their own luck. Yeah, it was bad luck that his brake was damaged from the crash, but it wouldn't have been damaged if he hadn't crashed. Dungey thus far has been the only rider out there to avoid costly mistakes in the main events, and thus his 18 pt lead.
He said on Instagram in a comment that the front brake locked up causing the crash. It's from him so I believe it, but there's no way to prove it either way.
adamdf
2/12/2017 4:15pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
I this case, I agree with RC when he says that champions make their own luck. Yeah, it was bad luck that his brake was damaged...
He said on Instagram in a comment that the front brake locked up causing the crash. It's from him so I believe it, but there's no...
He said on Instagram in a comment that the front brake locked up causing the crash. It's from him so I believe it, but there's no way to prove it either way.
Exactly...I could have sworn he crashed because it locked up on its own as well. At least it looked so. Also, his front wheel turned to the right and hit the ground on the right side, the brake rotor is on the left.

2/12/2017 4:21pm
I agree. Dungey is making his own luck. Dude is smart.
However, just for fun:
This time last year he had a 26 point lead over Roczen in 2nd and a 41 point spread over Tomac.
This year it's an 18 point lead over second and 29 over Tomac.

The Shop

Skuzzy29
2/12/2017 4:24pm
adamdf wrote:
Exactly...I could have sworn he crashed because it locked up on its own as well. At least it looked so. Also, his front wheel turned to...
Exactly...I could have sworn he crashed because it locked up on its own as well. At least it looked so. Also, his front wheel turned to the right and hit the ground on the right side, the brake rotor is on the left.

It hit on the right side???

https://youtu.be/vtEAyD01Ndw?start=20
2/12/2017 4:26pm
Yea it locked up, but was that feom under modulation of the brake lever or what?
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
2/12/2017 4:27pm
He said on Instagram in a comment that the front brake locked up causing the crash. It's from him so I believe it, but there's no...
Post the IG comment. Im not saying you're lying. I truly want to see it.
adamdf
2/12/2017 4:27pm
adamdf wrote:
Exactly...I could have sworn he crashed because it locked up on its own as well. At least it looked so. Also, his front wheel turned to...

Skuzzy29 wrote:
It hit on the right side???

https://youtu.be/vtEAyD01Ndw?start=20
Yes he fell to the right initially. Yes the bike flipped and landed on the left but that was not a hard hit. I am doubtful that the crash caused the damage. I say the damaged rotor caused the crash.
hvaughn88
2/12/2017 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2017 4:33pm
kzizok wrote:
Paraphrasing here, but someone asked him if he had a mechanical issue that caused the brake to lock up and he responded "yessir."
2/12/2017 4:35pm
Doesnt he run NISSINs intead of the factory KHIs?

Hmmm. Might see another change.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
2/12/2017 4:38pm
kzizok wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
Paraphrasing here, but someone asked him if he had a mechanical issue that caused the brake to lock up and he responded "yessir."
Good to know. Eli seems to have been forthcoming with past issues, so I dont see why he wouldn't be truthful about this. Thanks!
Acidreamer
2/12/2017 5:23pm
Sucks that his brakes locked up like that. i've had that happen to me once and its the most bizarre thing ever. Also makes you paranoid that it will do it again.
RD757
2/12/2017 5:31pm
He can still climb his way back in to championship contention, I'm not giving up yet!
bh84
Fantasy
1853rd
2/12/2017 5:45pm
I thought it was wierd. Not often someone crashes 20 feet before the corner, let alone someone as skilled as Eli
TriRacer27
Fantasy
42nd
2/12/2017 5:48pm
Ok, I believe him so I'll take back my comment. Could've happened to anyone I guess. Tough luck, he was definitely moving and would've made up a good amount of points on Dungey. Still a long season to go though.
2/12/2017 6:25pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2017 6:29pm
I had a customer crash and the front brake lever got slammed into the ground hard like squeezing the brake with huge force. The front brake from then on was nearly locked but would allow front end to roll some under power.

If you rode it 50 yards the pads would heat up and it woukd lock totally.

Fix was a total rebuild of internals seals and plunger... as to why the old ones were causing issue Im not sure.. they visually looked fine.
to me... tomac tucked the front on his own, front brake did same as my guys... and the rest is history. Tomac has a history of front end tucking I believe... Im ultra bummed I was rooting for him all night for the win and he looked so comfortable on the bike and track. dirt got hard shiny slick in spots and that was one of them

Edit: not to mention the front end did roll post crash... just not well but well enough to double before finish and tire spin a revolution in air before stop
2/12/2017 7:15pm
I had a customer crash and the front brake lever got slammed into the ground hard like squeezing the brake with huge force. The front brake...
I had a customer crash and the front brake lever got slammed into the ground hard like squeezing the brake with huge force. The front brake from then on was nearly locked but would allow front end to roll some under power.

Fix was a total rebuild of internals seals and plunger... as to why the old ones were causing issue Im not sure.. they visually looked fine.
to me... tomac tucked the front on his own, front brake did same as my guys... and the rest is history. Tomac has a history of front end tucking I believe... Im ultra bummed I was rooting for him all night for the win and he looked so comfortable on the bike and track. dirt got hard shiny slick in spots and that was one of them

Edit: not to mention the front end did roll post crash... just not well but well enough to double before finish and tire spin a revolution in air before stop
this.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
2/12/2017 9:50pm
I had a customer crash and the front brake lever got slammed into the ground hard like squeezing the brake with huge force. The front brake...

When did Tomac go down, prior to the wreck in the main, that he would have the jammed the front brake lever enough to cause similar damage as your customer? They just weren't aware of the prior damage that caused the brake to malfunction which ultimately caused the wreck?
Johnny Depp
2/12/2017 10:09pm
Tomac rear ended Webb when he got balked by Mookie in the 1st lap of the Semi and something got bent. Hard to believe they wouldn't have figured it out. He fell onto the brake lever.

If a rotor gets warped from contact with another bike the calipers can be going in & out eventually causing overheating and then lock up, I'm not sure what incident could have caused it?
2/12/2017 11:21pm
2/12/2017 11:46pm
Tomac rear ended Webb when he got balked by Mookie in the 1st lap of the Semi and something got bent. Hard to believe they wouldn't...
Tomac rear ended Webb when he got balked by Mookie in the 1st lap of the Semi and something got bent. Hard to believe they wouldn't have figured it out. He fell onto the brake lever.

If a rotor gets warped from contact with another bike the calipers can be going in & out eventually causing overheating and then lock up, I'm not sure what incident could have caused it?
It was the heat race
burnside
2/13/2017 2:34am
Im with RC...

Bad luck - did you guys see his start in the race that was black flagged? He was virtually last. He was lucky to get a second start...

Tomac is amazing, I just don't think he's ready yet to stay at the top.
downard254
2/13/2017 5:14am
Did you all see how shiny the line was going into that turn? Didn't look to me like there was much traction there. I'm sure that didn't help.
kkawboy14
2/13/2017 5:25am
bh84 wrote:
I thought it was wierd. Not often someone crashes 20 feet before the corner, let alone someone as skilled as Eli
I was sitting right in front of him watching when he crashed, he did the same thing as Canard, brakes on the landing, leaned over on the brakes to much, had the front wheel turned, didn't look like his brakes were locked until he hit the ground hard. He was pushing to catch the front guys harder and harder each lap.

But hey I could be wrong.
JSmith
2/13/2017 5:31am
TriRacer27 wrote:
Bingo!
pecu_83
2/14/2017 4:34am
To me it looked like his brake was locking up and caused the crash, not the other way around (as Tomac said that himself).

My friend once changed a new front brake lever after practice before a race and it started locking up a few laps into the race. There were nothing visibly wrong with the lever, but there must have been a small fabrication error or something that caused it to just so slightly hold the brake on and as it got warmer when riding, the fluid expanded and it started locking up.

Im guessing something similar for Tomac.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
262nd
2/14/2017 5:36am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2017 7:12am

edit I Re-watched that sequence and saw the brake lock up in the air after the big crash, not before.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
2/14/2017 5:49am
If he had brake problems from a heat race crash or any brake problems during the day and he still had them in the main there is no excuse why they didn't replace the whole system. Usually when you have brakes locking up, then the wheel will stop when you are in the air and it didn't look like it did when he was in the air right before the corner but either way he had a bad finish because of it.
TXDirt
2/14/2017 6:39am
If Tomac doesn't win the championship then he will lose the championship. That's just a fact.

Post a reply to: Tomac - Tough luck in Arlington

The Latest