Tomac ear plugs

level
Edited Date/Time 11/24/2014 10:33pm
Noticed at end of race he pulled them out of his ear. Why do you think he wears them? Is he trying to avoid damage to his ear or does it help him ride better?
|
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
7/30/2013 12:14pm
I remember Tomac saying he wore them to protect his ears.

It seemed like they were in there pretty deep. He had to dig pretty hard to get them out.

I guess Tomac doesn't care about his teeth like Baggett does.
DrSweden
7/30/2013 12:18pm
Dunno why he's using them, but I have been using them for a decade now, mainly because 100 db will for sure impair hearing, secondly I noticed I felt I could go a bit faster, because the sound made me less prone to twist the throttle, with ear plugs I felt more comfy. I figure the last part wont apply to Tomac though! Smile
IWreckALot
7/30/2013 12:18pm
He's worn them for awhile. Erin tried to interview him after a DNF or a bad race last season and he kept telling her that he couldn't hear her because he had the ear plugs in. I believe he said that it is for ear protection. I couldn't imagine the benefit. I know we have a lot of doctors posting here. Anyone know if it has any effect on equilibrium?
DrSweden
7/30/2013 12:23pm
IWreckALot wrote:
He's worn them for awhile. Erin tried to interview him after a DNF or a bad race last season and he kept telling her that he...
He's worn them for awhile. Erin tried to interview him after a DNF or a bad race last season and he kept telling her that he couldn't hear her because he had the ear plugs in. I believe he said that it is for ear protection. I couldn't imagine the benefit. I know we have a lot of doctors posting here. Anyone know if it has any effect on equilibrium?
I'm pretty sure I have lost some hearing prior to wearing them, a couple of weeks ago, one wasn't seated enough, and I had numb feeling in that ear for an hour or so, even heard a ring tone like those you experience after a concert. I'm confident going wide open with a 450 and bad muffler equals damage, and the helmet isn't really doing much to protect the ears. I think anything over 85 db which basically equals all bikes (within one meter distance 3 ft) equals risk of damage. It's not rocket surgery.

The Shop

Asher
7/30/2013 12:31pm
i remember him saying he started wearing them when he got on big bikes because his ears were ringing after riding
level
7/30/2013 12:38pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2013 12:39pm
Asher wrote:
i remember him saying he started wearing them when he got on big bikes because his ears were ringing after riding
Yeah, that's what I was thinking also. Very smart on his part. No reason to have damage to his ear later in life when he's done riding. It would be strange to ride with them though. Has to be very quiet but it probably put's him in a zone and maybe helps him focus a little also.
davistld01
7/30/2013 12:41pm
Off direct topic...but I don't see many pro riders wearing mouth guards like Bagget does. Wonder why?
The Rock
7/30/2013 1:16pm
disbanded wrote:
I remember Tomac saying he wore them to protect his ears. It seemed like they were in there pretty deep. He had to dig pretty hard...

It seemed like they were in there pretty deep. He had to dig pretty hard to get them out.

Believe the mouthguard reduces likelihood of a concussion.
level
7/30/2013 1:20pm
disbanded wrote:
I remember Tomac saying he wore them to protect his ears. It seemed like they were in there pretty deep. He had to dig pretty hard...

The Rock wrote:
Believe the mouthguard reduces likelihood of a concussion.
Yep. i tried to wear one after I bottomed out my suspension and got a little concussion from my teeth hitting together but I could never get comfortable wearing one.
cwtoyota
7/30/2013 1:53pm
DrSweden wrote:
Dunno why he's using them, but I have been using them for a decade now, mainly because 100 db will for sure impair hearing, secondly I...
Dunno why he's using them, but I have been using them for a decade now, mainly because 100 db will for sure impair hearing, secondly I noticed I felt I could go a bit faster, because the sound made me less prone to twist the throttle, with ear plugs I felt more comfy. I figure the last part wont apply to Tomac though! Smile
I find the same thing with the engine sound. When I can't hear the bike at all, I just wring it out and use the clutch instead of the throttle.

My lap times on Sunday were 2 seconds faster on a 2 minute lap with a set of earbuds that seal in my ear playing music. It's a similar effect with a good set of foam-rubber earplugs.

With the earplugs I still feel like I can hear other riders around, but the music drowns everything out.
jayback42
7/30/2013 1:58pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2013 2:00pm
Reason number 23 4 strokes should be banned.

Hearing Damage.

Perhaps you should update the pipe picture in your avatar... two strokes are great, but banning 4 strokes? You must be high.
Torco1
7/30/2013 2:07pm
Reason number 23 4 strokes should be banned.

Hearing Damage.
jayback42 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/07/30/28267/s1200_Crystal_Meth_Pipe_t658.jpg[/img] Perhaps you should update the pipe picture in your avatar... two strokes are great, but banning 4 strokes? You must be high.

Perhaps you should update the pipe picture in your avatar... two strokes are great, but banning 4 strokes? You must be high.
Maybe he's just a little "special".......

ImTheDude
7/30/2013 2:15pm
you can hear your engine better with ear plugs.
plugs eliminate much of the background white noise and let you concentrate on your own motor noise.
try plugs this weekend and thank Tomac.
bvm111
7/30/2013 2:19pm
Because 4jokes are too damn loud!
Shiftfaced
7/30/2013 2:45pm
I had a buddy who was a Honda Baja guy, and he always rode with ear plugs.

I gave it a shot, and HOLY COW, it just makes the entire experience so much better. For the long rides, it somehow cuts down on rider fatigue. You can hear your own bike so much better, and it creates an overall calming effect.

I like the sound of a good running bike as much as anybody, but it really is a different, and BETTER experience with ear plugs.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4002nd
7/30/2013 2:52pm
Shiftfaced wrote:
I had a buddy who was a Honda Baja guy, and he always rode with ear plugs. I gave it a shot, and HOLY COW, it...
I had a buddy who was a Honda Baja guy, and he always rode with ear plugs.

I gave it a shot, and HOLY COW, it just makes the entire experience so much better. For the long rides, it somehow cuts down on rider fatigue. You can hear your own bike so much better, and it creates an overall calming effect.

I like the sound of a good running bike as much as anybody, but it really is a different, and BETTER experience with ear plugs.
Interesting. I'm sold!Blink gonna give it a try.
BobbyM
7/30/2013 3:03pm
ImTheDude wrote:
you can hear your engine better with ear plugs. plugs eliminate much of the background white noise and let you concentrate on your own motor noise...
plugs eliminate much of the background white noise and let you concentrate on your own motor noise.
bingo...tune into vibration of the scooter too.
crusher773
7/30/2013 3:05pm
I don't wear ear plugs but I'll vouch for the mouthpiece. I rung my bell pretty hard about a year or so ago and I know how I hit my head it would have been a lot worse if I wasn't wearing it.
cwtoyota
7/30/2013 3:20pm
I plan to try some earplugs at the races this weekend... Never worn any in a race before, only practice.
JB 19
7/30/2013 3:29pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2013 3:29pm
ImTheDude wrote:
you can hear your engine better with ear plugs. plugs eliminate much of the background white noise and let you concentrate on your own motor noise...
This is believable. I don't buy the hearing loss though.

Many times at work I wear ear plugs where I don't have to because of all the fans and water pumps running. I swear I can understand someone talking to me easier in that environment with plugs in.

I may try this.
Spooner
7/30/2013 3:32pm
I always used them for roadracing so I naturally used them for off road. Its nice because you can actually hear the other bikes and stuff better because it gets rid of all the noise. Plus I did mostly hare scrambles and 2+ hours of a revving bike will really wear on you.
Torco1
7/30/2013 3:52pm
cwtoyota wrote:
I plan to try some earplugs at the races this weekend... Never worn any in a race before, only practice.
You're better off using your iPod and listen to that "Highway to the Danger Zone" song from Top Gun.....I swear to god you'll win.
The Rock
7/30/2013 4:10pm
Wait until you have flown on a long flight with ear plugs. You will never fly again without them.
NetMXer
7/30/2013 4:20pm
The volume back in the early days of MX was wayyyyy worse. The first generation CR/RM/YZ's had ear piercing noise. I'm not sure if I've gotten used to the noise or I've lost my hearing but todays four strokes are bearable compared to the 70's.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
7/30/2013 4:31pm
Last time I rode I slid back on the seat and was under power exiting a corner and it the noise actually hurt my ear. First time it had done that.

That, and I was wearing a new helmet where the pads weren't "muffling" my ears so to speak. I will be wearing them next time I ride.
Crush
7/30/2013 4:41pm
Is this a real question...

Why does ANYONE wear ear plugs?!?
7/30/2013 5:12pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2013 5:17pm
Crush wrote:
Is this a real question...

Why does ANYONE wear ear plugs?!?
Tinnitus

It's not only the bike noise but also the wind noise in the helmet that can cause damage to the hearing. I have Alpina custom made earplugs for a while now. I never ride without them, road or offroad.

Post a reply to: Tomac ear plugs

The Latest