Tomac’s main problem is completely out of his control

TDeath21
Who is to blame? His predecessors. McGrath, Carmichael, Stewart, Villopoto, and Dungey.

Think about it. As far as US riders go, we went through that line in that order, and some could argue that is the top 5 US riders EVER. I wouldn’t personally, but I can see how some would.

Those guys have placed an insane expectation on the next US rider to be like them, which is Tomac, and he just isn’t quite at the all time great level those guys are. There is nothing wrong with this. He’s still a top guy in today’s SX/MX world.

If I had to compare him to any of those five, it would be Stewart, but a worse version of him. Very fast, but doesn’t handle pressure very well and doesn’t know when to back it down and look at the big picture. And if you’re a slightly worse version of Stewart, then you’re an incredible rider and will have a great career.

It’s extremely hard to be “the guy” year in and year out, race in and race out. That’s why the sustained excellence of Dungey, Villopoto, Carmichael, and McGrath is so incredible. Roczen looked like the guy last year and crashed out. Tomac finally fought back to be the guy heading into New Jersey last year and he had a horrible race. Tomac was the guy coming into this year and he crashed out. Musquin was the guy going into the second round and he crashed out.

What those all time greats did before Tomac has placed an unrealistic expectation on Tomac and what he should be like and what he should accomplish. We all need to sit back and think that maybe, just maybe, we went through a rare era where we saw all time greats pass the torch to each other, and we are now in an era where there are no US riders who are all time greats. This is okay, and it actually creates better championship battles and more exciting races for us fans.
|
bbhMoto
1/16/2018 9:21am
Tomac is fast, he just needs to ride smarter.
1/16/2018 9:34am
Anyone that knows anything about mx/sx doesn't EXPECT him to follow in their footsteps. He is capable but mx/sx is to unpredictable to have those kind of expectations

The Shop

TDeath21
1/16/2018 9:39am
kkawboy14 wrote:
He fell over on a little tiny bump! Relax
He was the guy in 2015 MX and wadded. He was the guy vs Roczen in the West coast championship and when Roczen didn’t qualify he went from 2nd to 8th I believe against guys he’d beaten all season easily. Then of course we have the examples I already mentioned. And last year’s MX season was filled with people trying to hand the championship to each other. Tomac came out on top. It’s not just “this one tip over”.
1/16/2018 9:42am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Twice out of his last two races.
You ever crash two races in a row? You would if you were going 1/3 the speed of Eli.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
1/16/2018 9:56am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 10:00am
kkawboy14 wrote:
You ever crash two races in a row? You would if you were going 1/3 the speed of Eli.
What are you getting at with this response?
A ) Everyone here is slow (irrelevant)
B ) It's ok to crash a few races in a row even though you are paid a lot of money to win?
lumpy790
1/16/2018 10:02am
Every rider crashing during the week practicing is not reporter either.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
1/16/2018 10:04am
What if Tomac doesn’t have a problem and that’s just racing?
DEMONDAVE
1/16/2018 10:38am
ET3'S only issue "mental toughness" he is NOT on the level of KR94 nor RD5 or the past champions mentioned.
monster energy cup wadded up gave up , A1 wadded up gave up and a few other times same thing.
he will not be on the level of "McGrath, Carmichael, Stewart, Villopoto, and Dungey " anytime soon if at all.
IMO but that's that.
BobbyM
1/16/2018 10:43am
If Joe Montana choked in all the big games on the line he wouldn't have been Joe Montana. Tomac is no Joe Montana
Rockinar
1/16/2018 10:43am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 10:47am
Tomac is no MC, Carmichael, Stewart. This generation does not have one.
mauidex
1/16/2018 10:48am
so far seems to me that Tomacs MAIN PROBLEM is hitting the dirt............and about 99% of the time completely in his controlUnsureUnsure
nytsmaC
1/16/2018 10:56am
DEMONDAVE wrote:
ET3'S only issue "mental toughness" he is NOT on the level of KR94 nor RD5 or the past champions mentioned. monster energy cup wadded up gave...
ET3'S only issue "mental toughness" he is NOT on the level of KR94 nor RD5 or the past champions mentioned.
monster energy cup wadded up gave up , A1 wadded up gave up and a few other times same thing.
he will not be on the level of "McGrath, Carmichael, Stewart, Villopoto, and Dungey " anytime soon if at all.
IMO but that's that.
You say he gave up, as if he was able to continue but chose not to. I guess he’s not hurt then?
1/16/2018 10:58am
Without a couple foreigners in the series, he could probably be still on a par with those you named
1/16/2018 11:06am
Go and watch the press conference from Houston, I believe Kenny said it best. I don't remember exactly what he said but he basically said shit happens and racing isn't an exact science where you can control every outcome.
kkawboy14
1/16/2018 11:23am
seth505 wrote:
What are you getting at with this response? A ) Everyone here is slow (irrelevant) B ) It's ok to crash a few races in a...
B ) It's ok to crash a few races in a row even though you are paid a lot of money to win?
C) he’s saying it’s ok to do your best! If that means falling a couple times on little stuff or wadding your shoulder in the whoops or destroying your arm on a small double. We will still cheer for you because those of us that are racers know what’s up!

I think thats what he’s saying!
kiwifan
1/16/2018 11:42am
Go and watch the press conference from Houston, I believe Kenny said it best. I don't remember exactly what he said but he basically said shit...
Go and watch the press conference from Houston, I believe Kenny said it best. I don't remember exactly what he said but he basically said shit happens and racing isn't an exact science where you can control every outcome.
^ this
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
1/16/2018 11:45am
Go and watch the press conference from Houston, I believe Kenny said it best. I don't remember exactly what he said but he basically said shit...
kiwifan wrote:
^ this
This....again
WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
1/16/2018 1:16pm
kiwifan wrote:
^ this
seth505 wrote:
This....again
This again again.
gt80rider
1/16/2018 1:22pm
Hate to see anyone get injured, but I freaking love Not knowing who is gonna win before the gate drops.
Forty
1/16/2018 1:38pm
TDeath21 wrote:
Who is to blame? His predecessors. McGrath, Carmichael, Stewart, Villopoto, and Dungey. Think about it. As far as US riders go, we went through that line...
Who is to blame? His predecessors. McGrath, Carmichael, Stewart, Villopoto, and Dungey.

Think about it. As far as US riders go, we went through that line in that order, and some could argue that is the top 5 US riders EVER. I wouldn’t personally, but I can see how some would.

Those guys have placed an insane expectation on the next US rider to be like them, which is Tomac, and he just isn’t quite at the all time great level those guys are. There is nothing wrong with this. He’s still a top guy in today’s SX/MX world.

If I had to compare him to any of those five, it would be Stewart, but a worse version of him. Very fast, but doesn’t handle pressure very well and doesn’t know when to back it down and look at the big picture. And if you’re a slightly worse version of Stewart, then you’re an incredible rider and will have a great career.

It’s extremely hard to be “the guy” year in and year out, race in and race out. That’s why the sustained excellence of Dungey, Villopoto, Carmichael, and McGrath is so incredible. Roczen looked like the guy last year and crashed out. Tomac finally fought back to be the guy heading into New Jersey last year and he had a horrible race. Tomac was the guy coming into this year and he crashed out. Musquin was the guy going into the second round and he crashed out.

What those all time greats did before Tomac has placed an unrealistic expectation on Tomac and what he should be like and what he should accomplish. We all need to sit back and think that maybe, just maybe, we went through a rare era where we saw all time greats pass the torch to each other, and we are now in an era where there are no US riders who are all time greats. This is okay, and it actually creates better championship battles and more exciting races for us fans.
I agree with this...It is very difficult to get to the top,, and staying there is even tougher..Eli is very fast however I don't think he will ever be Great.

The Red Plate is very heavy...so those great champions you've mentioned deserve the title of Legend.

Motodave15
1/16/2018 1:41pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 1:48pm
Tdeath I agree with you... However tomac has a switch inside him from.. RC/Stew warp speed to instant border top 10 rider... It's kinda weird

However I'm hoping he can find a consistent switch and do his thing and win the sx title
Motodave15
1/16/2018 1:46pm
seth505 wrote:
What are you getting at with this response? A ) Everyone here is slow (irrelevant) B ) It's ok to crash a few races in a...
kkawboy14 wrote:
C) he’s saying it’s ok to do your best! If that means falling a couple times on little stuff or wadding your shoulder in the whoops...
C) he’s saying it’s ok to do your best! If that means falling a couple times on little stuff or wadding your shoulder in the whoops or destroying your arm on a small double. We will still cheer for you because those of us that are racers know what’s up!

All I'm saying is this is B.S. because of the hell everybody gave James when he would wad every single time on the forums...but not to detail the thread.. there's actually a bunch of people who get flack for crashing to much.
1/16/2018 1:52pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Tomac has little crashes all the time....That is the problem
kkawboy14
1/16/2018 1:55pm
seth505 wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:
C) he’s saying it’s ok to do your best! If that means falling a couple times on little stuff or wadding your shoulder in the whoops...

Motodave15 wrote:
All I'm saying is this is B.S. because of the hell everybody gave James when he would wad every single time on the forums...but not to...
All I'm saying is this is B.S. because of the hell everybody gave James when he would wad every single time on the forums...but not to detail the thread.. there's actually a bunch of people who get flack for crashing to much.
Tomac gets beat for it also......1 guy was just sticking up for him as just a guy trying real hard!

Y’all can go back to beating the 1 guy up.....

Post a reply to: Tomac’s main problem is completely out of his control

The Latest