Tough block fix

tingo
Edited Date/Time 3/7/2018 9:05am
Problem: I don't like fixing things in SX that aren't broken, but the tough blocks are broken, and have broken several riders over the years. If a footpeg gets within a foot of the damned things, the thin plastic cover reaches out and latches on.

Solution: Print the sponsor logos on thin - but rigid - plastic sheet instead of the plastic bag type material they currently use. Something like 2mm thick should still be malleable enough to fold when a rider lands on it (and not injure the rider), but stiff enough that a footpeg will slide along it instead of immediately pulling the block onto the track and/or the rider to the ground (or flying through the air as we saw with Peick and Ferrandis this weekend).

Preach this Matthes; they heard you on the nets, even if they call them "catch fences".
|
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
3/5/2018 7:30am
Make tough blocks that are meant for straights triangular instead of rectangular. This would probably even be better for sponsor visibility, more compact for storage, and most importantly wouldn't automatically catch someone's footpeg the moment they came close to it.

And I agree, they could be improved.
Racer111
3/5/2018 7:37am
The easiest tough block fix is don’t go super wide where you have the chance of catching one with a peg. Every occurrence this weekend was rider error. End of story.
c0ncEpT
3/5/2018 7:47am
Racer111 wrote:
The easiest tough block fix is don’t go super wide where you have the chance of catching one with a peg. Every occurrence this weekend was...
The easiest tough block fix is don’t go super wide where you have the chance of catching one with a peg. Every occurrence this weekend was rider error. End of story.
Agreed
yz133rider
3/5/2018 7:53am
Racer111 wrote:
The easiest tough block fix is don’t go super wide where you have the chance of catching one with a peg. Every occurrence this weekend was...
c0ncEpT wrote:
Agreed
Why allow there to be additional risk? Maybe electrify them also so if a foot peg rubs it the rider gets 50,000 volts thru them after all its their fault for misjudging while navigating a freaking gnarly sx track with other riders at race pace. .. Screw them they should die for misjudging by a couple inches lets never make a safety improvement.

The Shop

peelout
3/5/2018 7:58am
i thought i was watching a replay of an online race on MES the game, fuckin' things are ruthless in real life too
c0ncEpT
3/5/2018 8:03am
yz133rider wrote:
Why allow there to be additional risk? Maybe electrify them also so if a foot peg rubs it the rider gets 50,000 volts thru them after...
Why allow there to be additional risk? Maybe electrify them also so if a foot peg rubs it the rider gets 50,000 volts thru them after all its their fault for misjudging while navigating a freaking gnarly sx track with other riders at race pace. .. Screw them they should die for misjudging by a couple inches lets never make a safety improvement.
What's your solution?
tingo
3/5/2018 8:10am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2018 8:41am
Racer111 wrote:
You're focusing on the micro of this past weekend. Sure, Peick and Ferrandis ran wide and clipped the blocks all on their own with dramatic - and for Ferrandis - devastating consequences. Other times, however, riders get pushed into them due to no fault of their own. In either scenario, wouldn't you rather see the guys continue riding after brushing the block? Just seems stupid to have what is basically a sponsor banner be the cause for so many guys having a race (or less frequently, a season) ruined.
mx317
3/5/2018 8:16am
Remember when banners used to get caught up in wheels?
yz133rider
3/5/2018 8:27am
yz133rider wrote:
Why allow there to be additional risk? Maybe electrify them also so if a foot peg rubs it the rider gets 50,000 volts thru them after...
c0ncEpT wrote:
What's your solution?
Reshape them or remove them all together on leading face of a triple. No purpose there but can have severe consequences
3/5/2018 8:30am
Racer111 wrote:
And you are absolutely certain that it wasn't that the lap before the rut was fine and
that on the next lap it had pushed out a couple of inches?
TDeath21
3/5/2018 9:04am
Or the riders could stay on the track.
NATEP231
3/5/2018 9:04am
Euros have their shit figured out. Just imagine filling with air or collapsing and using 1/4 of the semi trailer space for travel Whistling

yz133rider
3/5/2018 9:09am
TDeath21 wrote:
Or the riders could stay on the track.
Yeah but mistakes happen and why not remove some of the massive consequences where you can? Why is that so difficult to get on board with?
kkawboy14
3/5/2018 9:20am
Tuff block fix: riders move over 6 inches! If riders start coming up short on triples will they remove them? No, just start doubling and singling them!
yz133rider
3/5/2018 9:21am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Tuff block fix: riders move over 6 inches! If riders start coming up short on triples will they remove them? No, just start doubling and singling...
Tuff block fix: riders move over 6 inches! If riders start coming up short on triples will they remove them? No, just start doubling and singling them!
Great insight truly remarkable
Kenny Lingus
3/5/2018 9:22am
I kinda think the punishment outways the crime. I've long said the benefits are far outweighed by the negatives.
Johnny Depp
3/5/2018 9:23am
Racer111 wrote:
c0ncEpT wrote:
Agreed
I demand that any fool that does this again be DNQ'd regardless of how many laps they already ran, and if they left on the gator. The idiots are making the sport look bad. Woohoo
kkawboy14
3/5/2018 9:23am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Tuff block fix: riders move over 6 inches! If riders start coming up short on triples will they remove them? No, just start doubling and singling...
yz133rider wrote:
They aren’t “making mistakes” they are trying to cheat the track!
Johnny Depp
3/5/2018 9:26am
NATEP231 wrote:
Euros have their shit figured out. Just imagine filling with air or collapsing and using 1/4 of the semi trailer space for travel :whistle: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/05/247587/s1200_9696BB3B_D361_47C3_AF70_FF37995CF983.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/05/247588/s1200_2A285E2E_F3C9_40C7_B055_A8CA9AC0BC22.jpg[/img]...
Euros have their shit figured out. Just imagine filling with air or collapsing and using 1/4 of the semi trailer space for travel Whistling

Thread winner
Kenny Lingus
3/5/2018 9:31am
kkawboy14 wrote:
yz133rider wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:
They are also put on usable track space. Everything is sculpted under them. I don't think it would be too hard to basically build a shelf on the side and put them there. They would be lower to lessen chance of snagging one and if hit they would fall in between lanes not into the racing surface.
yz133rider
3/5/2018 9:35am
yz133rider wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:
They are also put on usable track space. Everything is sculpted under them. I don't think it would be too hard to basically build a shelf...
They are also put on usable track space. Everything is sculpted under them. I don't think it would be too hard to basically build a shelf on the side and put them there. They would be lower to lessen chance of snagging one and if hit they would fall in between lanes not into the racing surface.
Something needs to be done its that simple anyone saying its fine as is, is just blind and stubborn.
kkawboy14
3/5/2018 9:52am
If they were gone the riders would push the track even more. Cheating the track trying to gain an advantage. There is a point on the edge that the edge would collapse under the stress of the bike and rider. That collapse would injure the rider also.

They are there for a reason.
Johnny Depp
3/5/2018 10:36am
kkawboy14 wrote:
If they were gone the riders would push the track even more. Cheating the track trying to gain an advantage. There is a point on the...
If they were gone the riders would push the track even more. Cheating the track trying to gain an advantage. There is a point on the edge that the edge would collapse under the stress of the bike and rider. That collapse would injure the rider also.

They are there for a reason.
No argument with track boundaries. It's just the wrong material. With a 20ft wide track full of ruts, shit is gonna happen. No one needs to die because of it.
3/5/2018 10:53am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2018 10:54am
peelout wrote:
i thought i was watching a replay of an online race on MES the game, fuckin' things are ruthless in real life too
Yet Another realistic feature of the game!!!

Everyone is racing with the same tough block placement. Those that try to push the envelope might pay off. Both ways....pay off shavin a few tenths. But then pay off with a huge get off.... risk vs reward.
lumpy790
3/5/2018 11:30am
I do not like the occasional crash from hitting them but have seen them save riders from injury by landing on them with their bodies.

What happens when a NASCAR driver nails the wall?
p0wn
3/5/2018 11:36am
They could use corrugated plastic like on all those political signs and what not. Cheap, easy to print on, sturdy but also disposable, and won't get caught in foot pegs.

The turns that feed into the triple generally have 2 routes - inside or outside. You're essentially saying don't use the berm ever. Using the berm going at speed you're going to end up a foot outside of the tuff blocks on a good lap. On a bad one you're right next to the tuff blocks and on a horrendous one you catch it and fuck shit up.

If this problem happened to one person that night I'd say you all who say 'don't go outside; problem solved' have a point. That one person clearly fucked up. I happened to multiple people and now we have even more riders out of the season. There's clearly a problem. And it's not just a problem with one or two riders. The sport can't exist if 3/4's of the top 10 get wiped from racing season after season.
TDeath21
3/5/2018 11:40am
kkawboy14 wrote:
They are also put on usable track space. Everything is sculpted under them. I don't think it would be too hard to basically build a shelf...
yz133rider wrote:
Something needs to be done its that simple anyone saying its fine as is, is just blind and stubborn.
There has to be something there to mark the track. What do you think it should be? What change?
Kenny Lingus
3/5/2018 11:41am
lumpy790 wrote:
I do not like the occasional crash from hitting them but have seen them save riders from injury by landing on them with their bodies. What...
I do not like the occasional crash from hitting them but have seen them save riders from injury by landing on them with their bodies.

What happens when a NASCAR driver nails the wall?
They usually just brush against it and keep going not end their season.

Problem is there is no actual data to support either argument.
twotwosix
3/5/2018 11:51am
If they truly cared about rider safety, they would use these in the first corners and on all jump faces.

Post a reply to: Tough block fix

The Latest