Track watering

Acidreamer
Theres a new place that started up a mx track. The track is super basic right now. Probably something youd have in your back yard. They havent progressed to ripping the dirt or watering yet. So obviously once quads get on you cant see and you eat dust. Instead of just complaining about the dust problem to them, i want to suggest some kind of solution. For a new track, i doubt they have the funds to go buy a full blown water truck like other tracks here have. Ive seen those trailers with watertanks you can haul behind a tractor or utv and they seem to be more cost effective.

The track is around 1 mile long. About 10ft wide. Not sure how many gallons of water that would take. I saw some that range from 30 gallons to 200 gallons that sit in a truck bed. Does anyone have any experience with these or know any specific brands or models i can present to the owners?

The owners seem to want to keep improving the track but they dont know much at all about mx tracks.
|
mx295
10/5/2017 9:47am
The tow behind trailers with the tanks are usually 500 gallons. I own 4 4000 gallon water trucks And I know you will need more then 500 gallons for that track. It may seem like a lot of water but you will empty the tank fast especially if it’s dry.
Acidreamer
10/5/2017 10:01am
mx295 wrote:
The tow behind trailers with the tanks are usually 500 gallons. I own 4 4000 gallon water trucks And I know you will need more then...
The tow behind trailers with the tanks are usually 500 gallons. I own 4 4000 gallon water trucks And I know you will need more then 500 gallons for that track. It may seem like a lot of water but you will empty the tank fast especially if it’s dry.
Something like this might be a good starting point for them? http://www.abiattachments.com/water-trailer/1000-2-axle-water-trailer/
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
10/5/2017 11:09am
mx295 wrote:
The tow behind trailers with the tanks are usually 500 gallons. I own 4 4000 gallon water trucks And I know you will need more then...
Acidreamer wrote:
Something like this might be a good starting point for them? http://www.abiattachments.com/water-trailer/1000-2-axle-water-trailer/
The only problem I see with that is with growth there will be more need for water. Filling the tank takes awhile even for 1000 gal.

What about using several IBC's on a already owned equipment trailer that could be towed by a tractor or hd truck? They can be picked up cheap and you can pipe them together. In reality, you will have to rip and water ahead of time. If you dump it on the surface or hard dirt, its gonna run away. Big props for the help, its a damn near impossible thing to get a track started without a bottom less pocket! Another thing I would suggest for them, make very very friendly with any and all neighbors. It only takes one asshole to have you in court!
Acidreamer
10/5/2017 11:22am
mx295 wrote:
Acidreamer wrote:
imoto34 wrote:
The only problem I see with that is with growth there will be more need for water. Filling the tank takes awhile even for 1000 gal...
The only problem I see with that is with growth there will be more need for water. Filling the tank takes awhile even for 1000 gal.

What about using several IBC's on a already owned equipment trailer that could be towed by a tractor or hd truck? They can be picked up cheap and you can pipe them together. In reality, you will have to rip and water ahead of time. If you dump it on the surface or hard dirt, its gonna run away. Big props for the help, its a damn near impossible thing to get a track started without a bottom less pocket! Another thing I would suggest for them, make very very friendly with any and all neighbors. It only takes one asshole to have you in court!
I agree about ripping AND watering. I thought maybe they could put a light water down to keep the dust under control. Not neccessarily dump bucketloads per square foot like a water truck does. But that might not be feasible.

The property is actually an old ski resort. They have atv trails already and want to expand to mx too. But yea i know what kind of equipment is required to have a full scale facility. I dont think they do. But the place is 10 mins from my house and the property is actually really nice. They have a restaurant thats open everyday and the tracks are open 7 days a week. I keep telling them if they build a good mx track it will take off. Especially with the rv hookup and trails etc. Has the potential to be the best place in ohio - if they build it. So im all for helping them out. I hate driving an hour away to ride.

The Shop

kkawboy14
10/5/2017 1:52pm
Make a smaller track and start installing irrigation
rmoto003
10/5/2017 2:08pm
Just stop riding, shits wack bro
KDXGarage
10/5/2017 6:51pm
dig out a pond, install gas powered pump and irrigation system with hoses to hand spray
JustMX
10/5/2017 7:49pm
People just have no clue how much water it takes to control dust.

You are wasting your time with a 500 gallon tank. Drop in the bucket.

Worse yet. If you go to fiddly farting around with a water tank on a trailer any where that isn't flat and you are going to get somebody hurt, unless you live some kind of charmed life.

Water weighs 8.25 lbs/gallon. 500 gallons = 4125 lbs, and add at least 1000 more lbs for the weight of the tank, trailer and pump. 2 1/2 + tons. A lot to control with anything but a good sized tractor.

The interesting time will be when you get 1/4 to 1/2 off the tank and you discover what slushing water can do as it slams back and forth or side to side. Physics can be really interesting. Add in a turn somewhere at the bottom of a hill or a slick spot or loose dirt that causes a tractor to lose traction. One tire slides and the other rolls twice as fast.... how is your ROPS (and if you don't know what that is, find someone else to run the tractor)?

What kind of water source do you have, (pond or creek)?

Kdx is on the right track if you can't spring for or build a water truck.

It will be labor intensive. Spring for a high pressure 2" pump. Most pumps will have less than 100' of head pressure. (Head pressure is how high it would pump water straight up with no reduction in size) . Any increase head pressure will allow you to spray further without losing all your volume and will become even more important if you are pumping up any elevation.

Don't get all caught up in using sprinklers either. Laying out a system in anything but sand will take a lot of time and work. If you don't set them up you will have overlap and dry places. Plan to put individual valves at every head or you will end up with places that get too much water while others are dry. You will also need to have a clean water source at intake or you will spend all your time cleaning out the heads.

Holy cow, didn't mean to turn this into a college coarse, so I will end it now.

10/5/2017 7:54pm
It could easily use 10,000 gallons to water a mile of track just once a day. More if it's hot or if the dirt is ripped. A national style track can go through 50,000 to 100,000 gallons of water in a day. A pond with a pump system or a well with large storage tanks is the way to go along with either a water truck or irrigation system.
JustMX
10/5/2017 9:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/5/2017 9:27pm
Maybe the first thing to think about would be shortening the track some. Figure out what you can prep and cut the rest. You can always expand once you figure some other stuff out.

Hell, even a some national tracks aren't a mile anymore.
10/6/2017 3:22am
Tsst, tsst, tsst,tsst, tsst, tsst, tsst, tsst, tsst, tsst, tsst All night long. Works even if youre using 10 garden hoses that have to be drug over to the next section. At least some of the track will be watered enough instead of none of the track being watered enough. Unless it is windy as hell, but even then its going to be hard to get enough water down no matter what is squirting it. Hope the water source is close.
Racerx930
10/6/2017 6:32am
It could easily use 10,000 gallons to water a mile of track just once a day. More if it's hot or if the dirt is ripped...
It could easily use 10,000 gallons to water a mile of track just once a day. More if it's hot or if the dirt is ripped. A national style track can go through 50,000 to 100,000 gallons of water in a day. A pond with a pump system or a well with large storage tanks is the way to go along with either a water truck or irrigation system.
Our track is roughly a mile long and we put down 30k gallons only to have it dry in 2 hours if we have 60 or so riders. Our biggest issue was the amount of time it took to get 30k gallons down. We've solved the issue by sticking a 6k gallon tank in the air with a 12 inch pneumatic valve. This tank fills constantly via 3" pump. I can drive underneath it and fill my truck in 30 seconds now instead of the 12 minutes it took previously.

Post a reply to: Track watering

The Latest