Trailer Tetris help

McG194
Edited Date/Time 5/23/2020 12:18am
Just got a quad (Can Am 450 Outlander) for the wife to ride around on and for me to use around my clubs property doing trail maintenance and such. Problem is getting it places. I have a toy hauler but obviously that is too much hassle to hook up for a mid week ride. I would like an enclosed trailer because I could use it to go to the races when it would work out better due to work to crash in a hotel and not take my camper.

Here's the problem, Standing the bike as close to the quad as possible and standing the bike straight up it is 6'2" wide. I was hoping to find a 6' x 10' trailer. I also want to store this trailer in my 2 car garage that has a 7' high garage door so the trailer can't be overly tall. What are the chances of leaning the bike over enough to fit in a 6' wide trailer? If not what suggestions does anyone have for making this game of trailer Tetris work for me?

Basically what is the smallest trailer I can get to do the job I want to do?
|
Timo_2824
5/21/2020 9:50pm
I've pulled 5x8 up to 7x16 and they all pull the same, so I would go bigger. Also remember that a 6x10 probably is more like 5'8" wide depending on wall thicknesses. A 7x12 would be a good size if you wanted to stay as small as possible.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
5/21/2020 11:55pm
I couldn't find what I wanted so I wound up ordering a custom one from Carson trailers. I went with 7 x 10, with the wheel wells inside to get the most interior width, and still be no wider than the tow vehicle. Also needed it short enough to fit through the 6'8" garage door. 3 bikes with all the gear parts and camp crap fits pretty easy. Giant cooler,ez up shovels part etc. The bikes fit but you do have to duck. The dual sports mirrors have to fold down but it's not a big deal. It got expensive when I saw their list of available options and started checking boxes lol. The options ($$) I went for were, interior wheel wells, 2 side doors, one on each side, mounted spare, battery and interior light, 50 gallon water tank under the floor with an rv pump feeding a hose bib, and electric brakes. Also only wanted one axle so I'm not buying tires all the time. Anyway wound up just under 7 K after all the extras. Also the diamond plate on the front and blue instead of white added a couple bucks. I added the shelf in the front to carry bbq, chairs, matt etc. Not really "Cheap" but it tows bitchin, is light, holds all the crap and fits in the garage. Having the extra water to pump into the camper has been awesome for 4-5 night trips in the boonies. Plus it's cool on race days to hose 90% of the mung off at the track instead of my driveway here in Commiefornia.

In garage

McG194
5/22/2020 10:13am
Timo_2824 wrote:
I've pulled 5x8 up to 7x16 and they all pull the same, so I would go bigger. Also remember that a 6x10 probably is more like...
I've pulled 5x8 up to 7x16 and they all pull the same, so I would go bigger. Also remember that a 6x10 probably is more like 5'8" wide depending on wall thicknesses. A 7x12 would be a good size if you wanted to stay as small as possible.
I would like to find a 7 x 10 or 12 but I'd prefer shorter and haven't found any. I may have to get it custom made or just continue to haul the bike in the truck and get an even smaller trailer for the quad say 5 x 8.
BroFoSho
5/22/2020 12:29pm
Super low profile tires and re-drilled the mounts for the leaf springs. If I don't back in just perfect, it'll still scrape the garage door though

The Shop

yz133rider
5/22/2020 12:51pm
Use a ramp to put quad in truck and get a hitch rack for the bike. Can carry both in the truck.
McG194
5/22/2020 12:58pm
yz133rider wrote:
Use a ramp to put quad in truck and get a hitch rack for the bike. Can carry both in the truck.
That was the original plan but I ended up with a deal I couldn't pass up and the quad is too long for the truck bed. Ram 1500 Quad Cab with 6'4" bed.
yz133rider
5/22/2020 1:00pm
yz133rider wrote:
McG194 wrote:
That was the original plan but I ended up with a deal I couldn't pass up and the quad is too long for the truck bed...
That was the original plan but I ended up with a deal I couldn't pass up and the quad is too long for the truck bed. Ram 1500 Quad Cab with 6'4" bed.
Dangit didnt realize the quad was that big.
FahQ
5/22/2020 5:43pm
sumdood wrote:
I couldn't find what I wanted so I wound up ordering a custom one from Carson trailers. I went with 7 x 10, with the wheel...
I couldn't find what I wanted so I wound up ordering a custom one from Carson trailers. I went with 7 x 10, with the wheel wells inside to get the most interior width, and still be no wider than the tow vehicle. Also needed it short enough to fit through the 6'8" garage door. 3 bikes with all the gear parts and camp crap fits pretty easy. Giant cooler,ez up shovels part etc. The bikes fit but you do have to duck. The dual sports mirrors have to fold down but it's not a big deal. It got expensive when I saw their list of available options and started checking boxes lol. The options ($$) I went for were, interior wheel wells, 2 side doors, one on each side, mounted spare, battery and interior light, 50 gallon water tank under the floor with an rv pump feeding a hose bib, and electric brakes. Also only wanted one axle so I'm not buying tires all the time. Anyway wound up just under 7 K after all the extras. Also the diamond plate on the front and blue instead of white added a couple bucks. I added the shelf in the front to carry bbq, chairs, matt etc. Not really "Cheap" but it tows bitchin, is light, holds all the crap and fits in the garage. Having the extra water to pump into the camper has been awesome for 4-5 night trips in the boonies. Plus it's cool on race days to hose 90% of the mung off at the track instead of my driveway here in Commiefornia.

In garage

sumdood, I always thought 7’ wide trailers with inboard wheels should be more popular... or even exist without a custom order. Nicely done!
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
5/23/2020 12:18am
FahQ wrote:
sumdood, I always thought 7’ wide trailers with inboard wheels should be more popular... or even exist without a custom order. Nicely done!
Thanks man ! This our Downsized set up from a 28' toy hauler. I wanted something that wasn't such an "Event" to take out. I don't miss the toy hauler one bit.

Post a reply to: Trailer Tetris help

The Latest