True spirit of MX

JoJmoto
Edited Date/Time 10/16/2015 7:23am
I am sorry to say that Lane is done racing for the season. Not only for this season, but its highly unlikely that he will be able to make his return in time to be ready to try his hand at Loretta Lynn's next season as well.
Back in May, while in a qualifying position at the South Central Regional at Freestone Mx, Lane caught his toe in one of the foot peg deep ruts that pulled his leg from the peg and twisted his knee. The results of that was a complete tear of the ACL, sprained MCL and fractured femur.
I chose this photo to tell this story for one reason, please read along and you will learn why.

This incident happened on Saturday, the first day of racing. As you can see from this photo, this was our pits. No RV, no trailer to shield us from the torrential rains, winds and floods that blasted this area during this month out in Texas, just a tent. But you know what, this photo does not look any different then any other weekend at the track that most of you have seen Lane attend. Rain or shine, heat wave or snow, this is how he goes racing. A truck, a tent, his bikes and just enough food and drink to make it through the weekend.

After he caught his leg in the rut, he pulled off the track and jumped off the bike holding his knee in pure agony. For anyone that knows Lane, they know he is no quitter. All he has ever wanted in his motocross career is to make it to the Big Show at least once. To be running in a qualifying spot and for him to pull off and quit, I knew it was gonna be bad.
I told him we needed to go ahead and pack it up and head to the house. But, even though he was unable to even walk, he asked me to allow him to still race the next day in one of the classes he finished his first moto in 6th in. Well, at the end of the weekend, he did not make it. He also had some bad luck at the SE round at Gatorback two weeks later and again at SOB a week after that... it wasn't his year. But he rode with his knee in pain and gave it his all.

I say all of this because I have one bad ass kid and I want everyone to know it! You can teach these kids to ride a bike, but you cannot teach heart! Week in week out, he is out there riding his tail off trying to keep up with and beat these kids who live at training facilities. He is lucky to ride once a week or often times once every other week. He comes to the track in a pick up and lives in a tent eating PB&J and if he is lucky, I might have enough money to take him out at least one night for a real meal while we are there. He doesn't get free gear, free bikes or free goggles, heck not even free tearoffs. He is often over looked in all the motocross videos you see on line and seldom do you find him in featured photo galleries. But I would be willing to bet that if there was a photo in the dictionary under heart and determination, this would be the photo you would find. I love you Lane, you are at least my hero son!

Thank you to all who have helped him along the way. Please check out his sponsors, these are people who believe in Lane and deserve your attention.

|
Motoxdoc
10/14/2015 6:55pm
.....and you are one AWESOME dad to go along with your son! "This IS motocross!"
Xeno
10/14/2015 7:00pm
Lifetime lessons & memories right there. And I'm sure dad is soaking in every moment. The time sure goes by quickly...
stangkag
10/14/2015 7:08pm
Good stuff right here, hope he heals quickly and is back out their riding again to make dad happy before you know it! What is your last name? Cant tell from the pic and didn't see it mentioned.

Thanks for the post, reminds me of the grind the true moto privateer guys go through to chase they're dream!
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
10/14/2015 7:50pm
I hope he heals up well, and comes back when he's ready.
What an awesome young man! His heart and determination will serve him his whole life.
And you're a great dad to give him props on site like this and to support him in pursuing his dreams!

The best to both of you!

The Shop

JoJmoto
10/14/2015 8:18pm
stangkag wrote:
Good stuff right here, hope he heals quickly and is back out their riding again to make dad happy before you know it! What is your...
Good stuff right here, hope he heals quickly and is back out their riding again to make dad happy before you know it! What is your last name? Cant tell from the pic and didn't see it mentioned.

Thanks for the post, reminds me of the grind the true moto privateer guys go through to chase they're dream!
Thanks guys, he is Lane Mariotti

I enjoy our time together for sure and these past years have flown by.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
10/14/2015 9:07pm
I think that when I try to explain motocross to someone who doesn't know, no matter what I say this is what I am thinking and is so amazing about this sport. Heart, drive, family etc etc I could go on and on because this sport has it. I hope you guys heal up and have a great run at it.
Uncle Tony
10/15/2015 6:56am
Get well soon brother! Big hearted kid more heart then all the rich spoiled kids around my area combined
With that kind of determination he'll be back racing, best wishes man

tomm55x
10/15/2015 9:19am
I hope that kid can get well soon and get back to racing!!
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
10/15/2015 9:43am
That brought tears to my eyes. Good post dad!
Andrew337
10/15/2015 2:53pm
Sorry to hear about his injury, but great post highlighting a grassroots racer competing at a high level. I'm sure it's been very rewarding for you to watch him rise through the ranks with limited resources but plenty of drive. Those are lessons that will serve him well for the rest of his life. Best of luck, Lane!
mgifracing
Fantasy
346th
10/15/2015 3:19pm
JoJmoto, Awesome way to write about your son, I think alot of moto dads get to consumed in chasing the prize to realize what good kids they have. Granted there are plenty of spoiled ones that ruin alot of things for us broke ass crackers but I wish you and your son the best in the future and hope is injuries heal up well. Good on you DAD!
JoJmoto
10/15/2015 6:11pm
Thanks for the support everyone. Anyone who has ever met Lane knows what a great kid he really is. Always respectful to everyone he meets and willing to help in any way. As a matter of fact, here is a text message I got on Sept. 30th out of the blue.

"You got a good son Joe! I was ran out of gas 2 miles from my exit yesterday evening after working all day.. I had pulled over and within 3 minutes Lane called and had seen me on the side of road. He immediately volunteered to go get gas.. I kicked him some # and thanked him. I told him how much I appreciated it. Glad to have moto buddies!"

The responses I have gotten were unexpected. I was just wanting to take a second to brag on my kid because he makes me proud at the man he is becoming. You guys have made me proud that I am able to share him with you.
10/15/2015 6:52pm
Motocross and family build productive members of society. Lane is a prime example.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
10/15/2015 7:19pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2015 7:21pm
I hope he heals up good and can get back after it soon. No better memories then going racing with your dad!! Keep us posted on his recovery and good luck.
brocster
10/16/2015 6:13am
This is awesome! Good luck to you guys on Lane's return.

I have the same feelings about my son. He's my best friend and he worked his ass off to get to where he is. Being raised around moto he has the same qualities that most of the non spoiled privateers do.

don't want to hijack your thread but if you want to see who my son is and what he does google " Broc Raiford The finer things" to see his latest project that dropped a couple months ago.

Keep on keeping on!
IWreckALot
10/16/2015 7:23am
JoJmoto wrote:
Thanks for the support everyone. Anyone who has ever met Lane knows what a great kid he really is. Always respectful to everyone he meets and...
Thanks for the support everyone. Anyone who has ever met Lane knows what a great kid he really is. Always respectful to everyone he meets and willing to help in any way. As a matter of fact, here is a text message I got on Sept. 30th out of the blue.

"You got a good son Joe! I was ran out of gas 2 miles from my exit yesterday evening after working all day.. I had pulled over and within 3 minutes Lane called and had seen me on the side of road. He immediately volunteered to go get gas.. I kicked him some # and thanked him. I told him how much I appreciated it. Glad to have moto buddies!"

The responses I have gotten were unexpected. I was just wanting to take a second to brag on my kid because he makes me proud at the man he is becoming. You guys have made me proud that I am able to share him with you.
Children reflect their upbringing. You've done it right.

Post a reply to: True spirit of MX

The Latest