Type 2 diabetes cure?

lumpy790
Long story but I have had type 2 diabetes for years. I took meds with bad side affects till I gave up on taking the drugs for over a year. About 2 years ago I switched doctors and this Dr actually listened to me. I expected to come from the 1st visit with a bunch of prescriptions. He understood the side affect problem and would only prescribe 1 drug at a time. He mentioned me doing daily shots and I didn’t want to do that so we started with pills. Tried several pill versions but side affects every time. Finally agreed to try the once a day shot Basaglar and well made progress and blood sugar was going down. After a few months still needed to go lower so started Trulicity shot once a week. Numbers dropped to where they should be than a couple months later the car accident and TBI hospitization. The hospital did not do what had been working and was finger pricking me every 1-2 hours and drastic shots spiking my sugar up and down. 3 weeks later when I checked out they had me on 13 different drugs but luckily I had a appointment with my listening Dr the next day. He looked at all the prescriptions and dropped down to 4 meds. He even said you do not have high blood pressure why why do they have you on a high blood pressure med? It’s been over a year and last visit he said my blood sugar numbers were a little low and to start cutting back.

Now things get interesting.

My wife had a DR suggest she watch a documentary called Magic Pill (think it was on Netflix) about eating Keto. We are getting close to 2 months eating 100% keto. Zero sugar, corn starch, pasta, bread, grains, potatoes so extremely low carbs and under 30 carbs in a while day not Eating “normal” Hitting 30-50 carbs in 1 meal. Keto is known to cause diabetics to STOP needing to take meds!

Since we started keto I have been doing lots of bloood sugar tests and until now I had never had a sugar test under 80 before so keto is working. When you stop eating what turns to sugar in your body the numbers drop.

I started dropping bosaglar dosage from 35 in 5 increments and am now am down to 15 once a day so 2 weeks ago I cut taking 2 metformin a day to taking 1/2 a pill 2 times a day and 5 days ago stopped taking metformin completely. Blood sugar numbers are still dropping! Next week I am going to stop taking the once a week injection of trulicity. My fall safe routine is to keep taking daily shots of basaglar as needed.

My wife is lowering her meds too!
|
500guy
9/21/2018 10:23am
How much weight have you lost doing KETO ?

The more fit you become the better your blood sugar will get.
resetjet
9/21/2018 10:29am
There are two factors in type 2 diabetes. 1. You produce enough insulin but it does not work properly 2. You do not produce enough insulin. Alot of us have both. In my case if I eat only lean protein my numbers are good, but I get atrophic. I have to take lantus insulin in order to compensate.

Alot of type 2 diabetics can just lose weight and eat modestly and they are good to go but it is a very dynamic disease.
lumpy790
9/21/2018 10:29am
500guy wrote:
How much weight have you lost doing KETO ?

The more fit you become the better your blood sugar will get.
Weight dropped about 7 lbs the first week then slowed. Belly fat is going away though.

I am usually 210 - 215 lbs. By the end of this weekend should be under 200 lbs. Yesterday was at 201.5

Since starting this I have been so busy I have not even worked out. We went kayaking once and short ride on bicycle.
lumpy790
9/21/2018 10:34am
My family owned a farm in Sodus MI not far from Red Bud for 200 years. I look at my ancestors photos and they were not fat. After WW1 we started eating processed food and IMO that is when things started going bad for us.

BTW how many of you have taken metformin and gained weight? Both my fife and I did.

The Shop

erik_94COBRA
9/21/2018 10:44am
lumpy790 wrote:
My family owned a farm in Sodus MI not far from Red Bud for 200 years. I look at my ancestors photos and they were not...
My family owned a farm in Sodus MI not far from Red Bud for 200 years. I look at my ancestors photos and they were not fat. After WW1 we started eating processed food and IMO that is when things started going bad for us.

BTW how many of you have taken metformin and gained weight? Both my fife and I did.
I will email you some additional info if you DM me an email address.
9/21/2018 10:45am
Crazy to think the cure to every health issue we have is pretty much diet and exercise.

Pharmaceutical companies don't want you to know that though...
VetMX.com
9/21/2018 10:50am
That is great news!
So many people are waking up to Keto and Intermittent Fasting. I dropped 15 lbs in a few weeks by eating breakfast at 2 PM and my second meal at 8PM. It was hard for a few days and now it is easy.

This is a good video explaining what you are talking about and this Dr. is a huge proponent of both.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
9/21/2018 11:53am
I am 100% convinced that the American diet is killing us all. Fix that? Hell no, we'd rather sell you maintenance medications to combat the obesity and diabetes. Those drugs cause other issues? No problem, we have more meds for that too. Blink

Good on you for getting it all under control. I bet you feel like a million bucks too.
lumpy790
9/21/2018 12:22pm
I travel a lot so eating out worried me. We had just started a couple of days before I went to Budds Creek. My 1st meal was at a steak house. Salad, veggies and steak is right on course. And seafood!!!!

Pretty bad the side affect of meds make you go the wrong direction from the cure.

Crazy when you start reading processed foods ingredients they always add sugar or corn starch. Cook fresh organic meats & veggies and there is no bad things in it.

Keto has you eating FATS and the ketosis is a natural way your body of using fat to feed your brain. With my TBI this is feeding my brain much better and I am thinking clearer. Those meds may be next after I get back from my Red Bug and Vegas trip!
lumpy790
9/21/2018 12:24pm
Falcon wrote:
I am 100% convinced that the American diet is killing us all. Fix that? Hell no, we'd rather sell you maintenance medications to combat the obesity...
I am 100% convinced that the American diet is killing us all. Fix that? Hell no, we'd rather sell you maintenance medications to combat the obesity and diabetes. Those drugs cause other issues? No problem, we have more meds for that too. Blink

Good on you for getting it all under control. I bet you feel like a million bucks too.
You are correct. America did not start eating that way till a company started mass producing food for WW1 soldiers. When the war ended instead of it being good job feeding our soldiers they started mass producing for the American public.
jbrown15
9/21/2018 12:26pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2018 12:26pm
Crazy to think the cure to every health issue we have is pretty much diet and exercise.

Pharmaceutical companies don't want you to know that though...
what's even crazier is too think that probably the most dangerous thing we can consume is processed sugar.
The sugar industry has tricked all into thinking what is and isn't healthy.
STLSharky
9/21/2018 12:40pm
lumpy790 wrote:
Long story but I have had type 2 diabetes for years. I took meds with bad side affects till I gave up on taking the drugs...
Long story but I have had type 2 diabetes for years. I took meds with bad side affects till I gave up on taking the drugs for over a year. About 2 years ago I switched doctors and this Dr actually listened to me. I expected to come from the 1st visit with a bunch of prescriptions. He understood the side affect problem and would only prescribe 1 drug at a time. He mentioned me doing daily shots and I didn’t want to do that so we started with pills. Tried several pill versions but side affects every time. Finally agreed to try the once a day shot Basaglar and well made progress and blood sugar was going down. After a few months still needed to go lower so started Trulicity shot once a week. Numbers dropped to where they should be than a couple months later the car accident and TBI hospitization. The hospital did not do what had been working and was finger pricking me every 1-2 hours and drastic shots spiking my sugar up and down. 3 weeks later when I checked out they had me on 13 different drugs but luckily I had a appointment with my listening Dr the next day. He looked at all the prescriptions and dropped down to 4 meds. He even said you do not have high blood pressure why why do they have you on a high blood pressure med? It’s been over a year and last visit he said my blood sugar numbers were a little low and to start cutting back.

Now things get interesting.

My wife had a DR suggest she watch a documentary called Magic Pill (think it was on Netflix) about eating Keto. We are getting close to 2 months eating 100% keto. Zero sugar, corn starch, pasta, bread, grains, potatoes so extremely low carbs and under 30 carbs in a while day not Eating “normal” Hitting 30-50 carbs in 1 meal. Keto is known to cause diabetics to STOP needing to take meds!

Since we started keto I have been doing lots of bloood sugar tests and until now I had never had a sugar test under 80 before so keto is working. When you stop eating what turns to sugar in your body the numbers drop.

I started dropping bosaglar dosage from 35 in 5 increments and am now am down to 15 once a day so 2 weeks ago I cut taking 2 metformin a day to taking 1/2 a pill 2 times a day and 5 days ago stopped taking metformin completely. Blood sugar numbers are still dropping! Next week I am going to stop taking the once a week injection of trulicity. My fall safe routine is to keep taking daily shots of basaglar as needed.

My wife is lowering her meds too!
I myself type 2, insulin shots Humalog/Insulin daily 51 yrs old, 213 lbs, was 245..
Keto though what do think about all that protein on your kidneys long term?
dimetime
9/21/2018 12:55pm
I have a genetic malfunction called hyperlypodemia. My cholesterol is outrageously high as are my triglycerides. My total ldl/hdl was 783 and my tri's were 1,780 at the time of diagnosis. When l was diagnosed in '95 they told me l'd be diabetic at some point.

It took ten years but in '06 l was diagnosed with type 2. It's been a pain in the ass and l've been on oral meds like Starlix and Metformin and they do suck and make me feel shitty but my Dr's still treat me like shit and never listen and act like somehow l've done this to myself. It's fucking begone irritating. One of the biggest lies is that they want you involved in your treatment. Only if you agree though.

My biggest beef is this, Dr's don't listen and in a few cases l've had to refer my own doctors to new info l've found. Many Dr's do not do on going research even in the own specialties. It's appalling.

My main problem though is the constant moving of the goal posts to justify never ending prescriptions and invasive doctors visits. When l was first diagnosed l was given goals and numbers to hit and after hitting them all for years they suddenly changed protocol and l've been in hell ever since.

Unlike Lumpy l can not operate at glucose readings below 100. I feel weak and lightheaded and being active and a carpenter l can't risk low blood sugar episodes. No matter what l say doctors won't listen.

Do know this though diabetics, and it's something even my doctor will a knowledge, low blood sugar is even more dangreous than high. It takes years to have ramifications from high blood sugar but only hours to die from low blood sugar. They almost killed me intially from over medicating me and l was crashing in the afternoons with BG readings in the low 30s. Not good, damn near coma time.

We always take things to far. Like if one Oxy is good then two are better. Not true. Works the same for cholosterol as well as blood sugar. Some recent sudies show the lower the cholesterol the higher the mortality in older patients and yet it's still protocol to put 70 year olds on statins.

Bottom line, just like the weather, we only have a minute understanding of the body and how it functions in totality but doctors like to think they know it all but they thought that when they were boring holes in peoples heads to relieve headaches.

Sorry so long y'all.
dimetime
9/21/2018 1:02pm
Falcon wrote:
I am 100% convinced that the American diet is killing us all. Fix that? Hell no, we'd rather sell you maintenance medications to combat the obesity...

lumpy790 wrote:
You are correct. America did not start eating that way till a company started mass producing food for WW1 soldiers. When the war ended instead of...
You are correct. America did not start eating that way till a company started mass producing food for WW1 soldiers. When the war ended instead of it being good job feeding our soldiers they started mass producing for the American public.
The prolem with this thinking though is it's correlated to the greatest growth of life span in human history. Grated some Of that rise came from lowering infant mortality but not all. Better food and medicine made a huge difference too. Processed food ain't great but it was a human necessity. People have been try for millenia trying to figure out how to preserve food stuffs. As usual we went to far.

Malnutrition was the human condition from time immemorial. It's not odd to think that people at some point would want to stuff their faces. We live in a time of plenty and it's mearly a blip in the course of humanity.
9/21/2018 1:26pm
I’m not sure of your age but there’s also a correlation between low testosterone and type 2. I am type 2 and had low t. Got on trt and metformin, changed my diet, started back lifting and in 2 years brought my A1c from 10 to 5.4. I’m also 60lbs lighter!
resetjet
9/21/2018 2:21pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2018 2:22pm
Dimetime, I am sure as you aware cholesterol is sorta what causes type 2. The fatty stuff in the cells act like a shield for the insulin. But like I said, it is a very dynamic disease and your case proves this. The main problem is there are so many treatments and everyone is different. Some will modify their diet some wont.

The way I see it, as little as 500 years ago, which is a blip in human history, people pretty much shot or grew what they ate. Today, it comes out of a box or a bag where grains have been brought to the point where they are high in carbs and low in fiber and then refined to a state that we were never meant to ingest. Meat is fully of marble fatty stuff which everyone loves but not good for us.

Funny if you ask someone in the islands next time you go on a cruise. The locals know by looking who the americans are. We are the fat people.
magoo1982
9/21/2018 2:34pm
Good Info and Congrats on the improvement . They claim broccoli ,cauliflower , asparagus, pomegranate , and ezekiel bread have natural test boosters in them . Its amazing the problems that develop just from aging and test. dropping
erik_94COBRA
9/21/2018 3:23pm
This subject was a real big interest of mine over the last couple of years after learning about the truth about nutrition and health. Many of the chronic health problems people develop are rooted in bad diets. And by bad diet, I don't mean people that eat too much and exercise too little. That's part of it, but only a minor part.

Type 2 diabetes, obesity (excess body fat), high "bad" cholesterol, low "good" cholesterol, and high blood pressure are together known as metabolic syndrome. If you have one, you're likely to develop the other. Not because of bad genes (in most cases), but due to a bad diet. In particular, a diet dominated by highly refined and easily digestible carbohydrates. The common denominator in metabolic syndrome is chronically elevated circulating levels of insulin (hyperinsulinemia). Guess what food group causes a spike in insulin? (carbohydrates) Guess what organ eventually can't keep up with the constant demand for more insulin? (pancreas)

So, if you have T2D, or any of the other conditions related to metabolic syndrome, start shifting your diet to a high fat, moderate protein, and low carbohydrate diet and watch your health normalize over weeks to months. I did about 5 years ago and lost over 30 lbs with no change in exercise and no portion control/calorie restriction. No significant change in that time either (~225 lbs then to around 185 lbs, up to 192+/- now due lifting weights).

You can't out exercise a bad diet. And exercising more on a bad diet only leads to hunger, which if you eat more bad shit, you're not any better off.

For more information, visit here:
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-Low-Carbohydrate-Living/dp/0983490708

https://www.amazon.com/Protein-Power-High-Protein-Carbohydrate-Health/d…

BR8ES
9/21/2018 3:25pm
Buffet mentality is a hard thing to break...
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
9/21/2018 3:56pm
Exercise and conventional nutrition?

Carbs are not are not processed foods, but the main nutritional component of a balanced diet along with fats and protein. Sugar and Carrots are both dietary carbs; you don't have to be a genius or buy a book to tell which is a better nutritional choice. You do need to have will.

"Processed" food - commercial products designed to sit of shelf forever or to woo buyers with taste - is the worst way to get carbs, fats, and protein.
tempura
9/21/2018 4:54pm
Intermittent fasting can help with insulin sensitivity. Keep the carbs low (no sugars, processed shit).
Don’t avoid vegetables, try to eat raw vegetables as much as possible instead of cooking them.
9/21/2018 5:43pm
Sugar from fruit and veggies is fine because there is fiber to help you digest it. In a perfect world kids would graduate high school with a decent understanding of how their body works.

It makes complete sense that eating less sugar would keep your blood sugar low. I think it's crazy that the American dietary guidelines say that you should eat between 225-325 carbohydrates per day. Im 31 and I feel like I gain weight if I eat even 100 carbs in a day.

Keep doing what you're doing! Stay out of the middle of the grocery store. Just look up simple recipes with protein and veggies.
9/21/2018 5:50pm
Exercise and conventional nutrition? Carbs are not are not processed foods, but the main nutritional component of a balanced diet along with fats and protein. Sugar...
Exercise and conventional nutrition?

Carbs are not are not processed foods, but the main nutritional component of a balanced diet along with fats and protein. Sugar and Carrots are both dietary carbs; you don't have to be a genius or buy a book to tell which is a better nutritional choice. You do need to have will.

"Processed" food - commercial products designed to sit of shelf forever or to woo buyers with taste - is the worst way to get carbs, fats, and protein.
That last paragraph pretty much sums up the entire issue. Sugar is cheap and makes food taste better so it is in everything that is processed. And it actually kills people, it is as addictive as cocaine.
wildbill
9/21/2018 6:03pm
Amazing responses in this thread Lumpy. I'm T1 since 69 but, have the same concerns as most of the middle aged slightly fat fucks responding here. Wink

Wish you well brother.
lumpy790
9/21/2018 6:06pm
Sugar from fruit and veggies is fine because there is fiber to help you digest it. In a perfect world kids would graduate high school with...
Sugar from fruit and veggies is fine because there is fiber to help you digest it. In a perfect world kids would graduate high school with a decent understanding of how their body works.

It makes complete sense that eating less sugar would keep your blood sugar low. I think it's crazy that the American dietary guidelines say that you should eat between 225-325 carbohydrates per day. Im 31 and I feel like I gain weight if I eat even 100 carbs in a day.

Keep doing what you're doing! Stay out of the middle of the grocery store. Just look up simple recipes with protein and veggies.
With the keto diet fruits & carrots are bad. And I love fresh fruits
9/21/2018 6:31pm
Just cut out high fructose corn syrup and watch the changes your body goes through.
tempura
9/21/2018 6:53pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2018 6:54pm
Sugar from fruit and veggies is fine because there is fiber to help you digest it. In a perfect world kids would graduate high school with...

lumpy790 wrote:
Even with Keto, you’re getting insulin spikes (albeit less aggressive) every time you eat. That’s why I mentioned intermittent fasting. Combine both (Keto and IF) and it could be a winner for you (insulin sensitivity).
Personally I won’t give up fresh raw fruits and vegetables. Eaten right, they are very beneficial. But I don’t have blood sugar problems.
Bike Rat
9/21/2018 6:59pm
I’ve been primal/paleo/lowcarb/ keto/I-fasting for the past 5 years. Loving it! Check out my ig account for meal ideas. @beprime
9/21/2018 7:43pm
lumpy790 wrote:
Yeah that makes sense with what you're trying to do. I was just saying in general. Natural sugar in fruit can be digested fine because there is fiber. Soda doesn't have any fiber.

Keep at it. Your whole life will change, it's strange that most doctors don't offer real dietary advice for t2 diabetes. But they pretty much legally are obligated to put people on meds when they are diabetic and then it's a vicious cycle from there.

Post a reply to: Type 2 diabetes cure?

The Latest