Valli, Regal, Baker Out For Hangtown

Taylor156
5/13/2013 2:29pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2013 6:44pm
Racer X has learned that Valli Motorsports Yamaha will not be racing at the 2013 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross opener at Hangtown. While the team did race Monster Energy Supercross, the outdoor plans were never locked in, and for now the squad will go on hiatus. The team is not folding, and it's possible we'll see it return in some form in 2013, but for now, Travis Baker and Kyle Regal are looking for rides. We'll follow up with more details as we find them. Baker sent out the following via his twitter (@TRAVISBAKERmx) account:

Really bummed I won't be lining up on the gate this weekend. Worked hard and nothing. #sucks
|
swtwtwtw
5/13/2013 2:32pm
All Baker has to do is buy a bike and go. He is local (CA based)---geez.....
TDeath21
5/13/2013 2:38pm
Temporary fill in for Hahn or Millsaps?
C.Worthy
5/13/2013 2:58pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
Yea because I'm sure he has a few grand that he can spend on a whim to buy a bike, gas for driving up to norcal, entry fee, food, accommodations, race fuel, and etc. The list goes on and on. And that would be the cheapest race to go to since it is the closest one besides Elsinore to socal. Money doesn't grow on trees....
therealjonon
5/13/2013 3:19pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
C.Worthy wrote:
Yea because I'm sure he has a few grand that he can spend on a whim to buy a bike, gas for driving up to norcal...
Yea because I'm sure he has a few grand that he can spend on a whim to buy a bike, gas for driving up to norcal, entry fee, food, accommodations, race fuel, and etc. The list goes on and on. And that would be the cheapest race to go to since it is the closest one besides Elsinore to socal. Money doesn't grow on trees....
Peick will be there...so will plenty of other privateer's. Just sayin'!

The Shop

newmann
5/13/2013 3:31pm
Hard to imagine that he is just now finding out he doesn't have a ride. If so, that sucks. Some of these guys who are on the edge of being there or not being there might just want to keep a nice bike around for when they seem to constantly get shit upon. We hear this story over and over anymore. As amateurs, some of these guys have a whole damn fleet of bikes yet when they turn pro they are bikeless. Listening to Hughes in his interviews this time last year when he was wanting someone to give him a national caliber bike or he wasn't going to attempt Hangtown....and complaining that all he had was a clapped out 2009 Yamaha practice bike? The guy teaches MX schools for a living , races all over Ca. and only owns one clapped out old bike? Not to mention he was a multi time factory rider. It really is a bummer for some of these guys but anymore it is tough to figure out which ones to feel sorry for. Big houses, fancy cars and not enough money to buy a dirt bike.
HuskyEd
5/13/2013 3:33pm
Sounds like PJ Larsen won't be lining up also. From his twitter:
Anybody need a rider for outdoors? I do believe I am available! Haha. Tough times these are..
Myke
Fantasy
2861st
5/13/2013 3:38pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
C.Worthy wrote:
Yea because I'm sure he has a few grand that he can spend on a whim to buy a bike, gas for driving up to norcal...
Yea what did he do for a bike and entry fees when he was an amatuer?
Myke
Fantasy
2861st
5/13/2013 3:38pm
newmann wrote:
Hard to imagine that he is just now finding out he doesn't have a ride. If so, that sucks. Some of these guys who are on...
Hard to imagine that he is just now finding out he doesn't have a ride. If so, that sucks. Some of these guys who are on the edge of being there or not being there might just want to keep a nice bike around for when they seem to constantly get shit upon. We hear this story over and over anymore. As amateurs, some of these guys have a whole damn fleet of bikes yet when they turn pro they are bikeless. Listening to Hughes in his interviews this time last year when he was wanting someone to give him a national caliber bike or he wasn't going to attempt Hangtown....and complaining that all he had was a clapped out 2009 Yamaha practice bike? The guy teaches MX schools for a living , races all over Ca. and only owns one clapped out old bike? Not to mention he was a multi time factory rider. It really is a bummer for some of these guys but anymore it is tough to figure out which ones to feel sorry for. Big houses, fancy cars and not enough money to buy a dirt bike.
+1

Well stated.
HuskyEd
5/13/2013 3:49pm
newmann wrote:
Hard to imagine that he is just now finding out he doesn't have a ride. If so, that sucks. Some of these guys who are on...
Well said Newmann.Smile
Mr. Info
5/13/2013 3:54pm
Some times the wallet can't afford the lifestyle. Sure the best things are free but if not earned then the second best is beating them on something you paid for yourself thru hard work. Yes there are guys who have earned a free ride and some that don't but beating them on something you own just proves you want it more than they do.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
5/13/2013 4:03pm
In Seattle it was still undecided, but by Vegas the Valli Motorsports Yamaha guys pretty well knew that they wouldn't be riding outdoors. Travis said that he went into Supercross knowing that it might not carry over to the outdoors, and that it was in his contract.

Travis was on a Honda last Friday at the Racer X pro ride session.
ocscottie
5/13/2013 4:27pm
Gibby...this reminds me of the story you told me when you were here Whistling
Rizzo
5/13/2013 4:29pm Edited Date/Time 5/13/2013 4:42pm
Taylor156 wrote:
Poor guy check this video out : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDzYWChUNRM
Poor guy check this video out :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDzYWChUNRM
What do you mean poor guy, I'm confused? That's not his house or his facility. All I see is a kid paying his trainer to eat and breathe moto while sleeping on his trainers couch and train thousands of miles away from his family/friends with the hope of making a career out of moto. I'm not the biggest fan of KR, but I've seen plenty of riders go this same route and trust me, they aren't living the life you think. Please explain.
C.Worthy
5/13/2013 4:38pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
C.Worthy wrote:
I thought the guys at proride were donating money to Peick's program. Either way it's still expensive. I don't know his finances so maybe we'll see him out there. I hope we do!

Btw I'm really hoping Peick has some good results this outdoor season. He's been on a roll.
JeremyL
5/13/2013 5:05pm
I forgot who it was, maybe Peick, or Chiz when he didn't have a ride, I can't remember right now. They were talking about buying their own bike and putting their own money out there was still worth it for them because they could still make a few thousand bucks and make more money than if they were to quit. I get it, once you start having all of this provided for you it must be pretty tough to come to grips with it not being there.

These guys probably have two options.

- Spend a little to make a little and show that you are willing to do what you have to do, maybe even pick up a fill in ride somewhere.
- Sit at home and say you did everything you could while you fade from everyone's memories.

In my opinion, if these guys don't show up then it's because they don't want to be there too terribly bad.
Hank_Thrill
5/13/2013 5:59pm
newmann wrote:
that was a good read and some very good points lol.
Hank_Thrill
5/13/2013 6:08pm
Taylor156 wrote:

Yeah, that does suck seeing how much work they put in and having their deal flop six days away. I hope Kyle can round up a bike and get out there. I remember a few years ago he was killing it on a pretty stock Honda 450.
brimx153
5/13/2013 6:13pm
last time regal went privateer on a honda he did great ,
Sandberm
5/13/2013 6:15pm
Newman made some great points as usual.

Regals done the nationals on his own so to speak before, why not now?Kyle is blue collar and doesnt need all the pampering that some of these other kids think they need. Hes young and can still do the privateer route.

Baker, I would suggest he look into Community College for next fall and working on his SX skills for one last go of it in 2014. He had two years at Troy Lee and now one year at Valli without really doing much.
TeamGreen
5/13/2013 6:18pm
newmann wrote:
Hi, it's me, again & I'm concurring with The Pirate.
mx21
5/13/2013 6:39pm
Baker was top 10 last year. Pretty darn good considering who is listed above him. Hope he finds a ride or a fill in spot.
Position Rider Hometown Points
Blake Baggett
Grand Terrace, CA 519
Justin Barcia
Monroe, NY 499
Eli Tomac
Cortez, CO 487
Ken Roczen
Mattstedt, Germany 456
Marvin Musquin
France 406
William Hahn
Wichita, KS 316
Blake Wharton
Pilot Point, TX 265
Jason Anderson
Edgewood, NM 238
Jessy Nelson
Paso Robles, CA 225
Travis Baker
Murrieta, CA 193
5/13/2013 6:43pm Edited Date/Time 5/13/2013 6:49pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
I know right. Prove to them you care enough to spend your own money and try to make do and maybe get on a team.... How bad does he want it? Is “it” money or passion?
AS64
Fantasy
2062nd
5/13/2013 6:47pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
Getting a bike built for a national in 5 days is a bit of a stretch...
5/13/2013 6:49pm
Taylor156 wrote:

I have a friend with a 3000 sq ft home, wife in a 2008 Beamer, a ski boat, and he cruises around in a 2006 Yukon.
Dude hasn't had a 1,000 dollars in the bank in 5 years.
How does that apply to this? Everything is not always as it appears
JB 19
5/13/2013 6:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/14/2013 1:07am
newmann wrote:
Right. How many of these guys have made 100's and 100's of thousands of dollars and pissed it all away. All the while some of us scrape together a few grand to try to turn it into a long term investment, but yet we have bikes to ride.

Seems like a decent investment for a guy on the level of Regal would be to spend 15 grand to have a 450 with a A kit suspension ready to go. Short raced a stock Honda with suspension work in SX right?

Some of these guys might do better on their own bike that they know inside and out instead of bouncing around on all these hokey teams that live month to month and ride 3 different bikes (sometimes 3 brands) and season.

I know Bowers has respectfully turned down a few rides over the years because it didn't fit into their own plan. Looks like it's working pretty well for him right now.
5/13/2013 8:02pm
newmann wrote:
JB 19 wrote:
Right. How many of these guys have made 100's and 100's of thousands of dollars and pissed it all away. All the while some of us...
Right. How many of these guys have made 100's and 100's of thousands of dollars and pissed it all away. All the while some of us scrape together a few grand to try to turn it into a long term investment, but yet we have bikes to ride.

Seems like a decent investment for a guy on the level of Regal would be to spend 15 grand to have a 450 with a A kit suspension ready to go. Short raced a stock Honda with suspension work in SX right?

Some of these guys might do better on their own bike that they know inside and out instead of bouncing around on all these hokey teams that live month to month and ride 3 different bikes (sometimes 3 brands) and season.

I know Bowers has respectfully turned down a few rides over the years because it didn't fit into their own plan. Looks like it's working pretty well for him right now.
I don't think guys like Regal and Baker have 15k laying around.
15k for a bike and maybe another 1,000 to go race?
250 Entry fee?
200 Gas for the transport vehicle?
50 Race gas?
100 to fill a cooler?
I am not going to claim knowledge of their personal finances, but to most young men in their early 20's, 3000 dollars(maybe in the form of contingency money or a accumulation of some sad purse payouts) equals some new rims and subs
Age aside, how many of you have the 15k laying around?
JeremyL
5/13/2013 8:21pm
If they don't have 15k after the rides they have had, how how much do you think they will have after sitting on the couch all summer?
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
3920th
5/13/2013 8:26pm
newmann wrote:
Well put, finally someone with some sense... What is the deal with all these racers without a dirtbike?! They have everything but a bike they can't race at a national.. Geez what a bunch of pre madonnas.. WP46 seems to be able to show up to all the SX races on a bike with some suspension and a muffler and runs in the top 10. He doesn't have a ride but mans up and goes racing. You don't have to do alot to a 450 to go racing, ask ShortyBlink
JBods
5/13/2013 8:28pm
So Valli brought Regal back for what 3 races?

Post a reply to: Valli, Regal, Baker Out For Hangtown

The Latest