Varner Motorsports issues

Edited Date/Time 11/28/2022 9:54pm
Hey there, I’m wondering if anyone in So-Cal could help me out here. I’m from Canada and I sent Varner 3 cylinders/heads a few months ago along with the money upfront to do the work (big mistake I know), and now I can’t get a hold of him and with everything going on in our world I just want my engine parts back. I’ve been trying him for weeks and can’t get a hold of him. I have gotten two or three short responses via text that states I’ll have them soon, but ‘soon’ started a couple months ago. I really don’t know what to do. Does anyone know if he’s actually around and if this is a common issue? I was told 20 day turn around on these parts and he’s honestly been a real asshole to deal with. I wish I could just go there myself and deal with it in person. Any feedback would be appreciated.
|
Tbteam
4/14/2020 10:30am
I wonder how many times I've read this exact message.

Varner is unreliable.Period.
4/14/2020 10:50am
When you get your parts back send them to Tom Morgan...he's the most professional in the business by far. You get what you pay for.
sandtrack315
4/14/2020 11:12am
Hey there, I’m wondering if anyone in So-Cal could help me out here. I’m from Canada and I sent Varner 3 cylinders/heads a few months ago...
Hey there, I’m wondering if anyone in So-Cal could help me out here. I’m from Canada and I sent Varner 3 cylinders/heads a few months ago along with the money upfront to do the work (big mistake I know), and now I can’t get a hold of him and with everything going on in our world I just want my engine parts back. I’ve been trying him for weeks and can’t get a hold of him. I have gotten two or three short responses via text that states I’ll have them soon, but ‘soon’ started a couple months ago. I really don’t know what to do. Does anyone know if he’s actually around and if this is a common issue? I was told 20 day turn around on these parts and he’s honestly been a real asshole to deal with. I wish I could just go there myself and deal with it in person. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Did you pay cash or card?

If you used credit card, tell him you're going to dispute the charge with your credit company.

If you paid cash, tell him you want a refund and your parts back.

Morals of the story, always use credit card and find a reputable builder. Keefer loves the race tech guys. Tom Morgan is obviously a great option as well.

The Shop

4/14/2020 11:18am
Did you pay cash or card? If you used credit card, tell him you're going to dispute the charge with your credit company. If you paid...

If you used credit card, tell him you're going to dispute the charge with your credit company.

Morals of the story, always use credit card and find a reputable builder. Keefer loves the race tech guys. Tom Morgan is obviously a great option as well.
I did all the wrong things honestly. I’ve never had anyone really screw me around in the Moto community so I just sent him a wire transfer. That’s the whole issue too, the last I spoke with him (three weeks ago) I told him I didn’t care about the work being done I just wanted my parts and money back. All he told me is “I’ll see what I can do”. I even said pay yourself for your time so far and just send everything home. I couldn’t even get him to do that. I feel like I’m dealing with a real crook.
sandtrack315
4/14/2020 12:24pm
Did you pay cash or card? If you used credit card, tell him you're going to dispute the charge with your credit company. If you paid...

I did all the wrong things honestly. I’ve never had anyone really screw me around in the Moto community so I just sent him a wire...
I did all the wrong things honestly. I’ve never had anyone really screw me around in the Moto community so I just sent him a wire transfer. That’s the whole issue too, the last I spoke with him (three weeks ago) I told him I didn’t care about the work being done I just wanted my parts and money back. All he told me is “I’ll see what I can do”. I even said pay yourself for your time so far and just send everything home. I couldn’t even get him to do that. I feel like I’m dealing with a real crook.
You can threaten to file a police report for the stolen parts and work with your bank to deem the wire fraudulent unless he refunds you and send your motor back.

Good luck. Life is about not making the same mistake twice man, so don't beat yourself up over it.
Denn700
4/14/2020 1:28pm
He built me a 2003 YZ134 that was the fastest 125 I ever raced. It was a stroker motor not a big bore. It blew up after one moto and he replaced everything for me. He also built me a stock bore 2001 YZ125. I never had any issues with him but that was almost 20 years ago.
Moto520
4/14/2020 3:12pm
Just send it to TOm Zont Racing. He conducts his business with honor.
mxb2
4/14/2020 3:16pm
Shitty service isnt a police matter. Unless he sold the parts or kept them .
4/14/2020 4:03pm
I would think after 5hrs on Vital, someone would be able to either confirm that Terry Varner is a solid dude and reassure nothing to worry about; or confirm that he's in the same company as Eric Gorr and that other guy who was a frequent poster here until that thread about his shitty nonexistent customer service went a mile deep..
PTshox
4/14/2020 4:13pm
I would think after 5hrs on Vital, someone would be able to either confirm that Terry Varner is a solid dude and reassure nothing to worry...
I would think after 5hrs on Vital, someone would be able to either confirm that Terry Varner is a solid dude and reassure nothing to worry about; or confirm that he's in the same company as Eric Gorr and that other guy who was a frequent poster here until that thread about his shitty nonexistent customer service went a mile deep..
The last guy I think you're referring to above; I asked him for a quote for some work a few months ago. Never heard a thing from him. You've got to tip your hat to him for consistency.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
4/14/2020 9:14pm
I'm suprised you have a problem with Terry, i have known him for close to 25 years and speak to him often.

He is up in the high desert and has had a few health issues on and off. Ill mention your problem to him and revert back here.

This is out of character for him so im guessing something is going on.
4/14/2020 9:31pm
Boomslang wrote:
I'm suprised you have a problem with Terry, i have known him for close to 25 years and speak to him often. He is up in...
I'm suprised you have a problem with Terry, i have known him for close to 25 years and speak to him often.

He is up in the high desert and has had a few health issues on and off. Ill mention your problem to him and revert back here.

That’d be appreciated! Ya I’m not here to run the guy straight into the dirt by no means but I’m definitely not happy with how long and disconnected this process has taken. At the end of the day I just want my engines back well and hopefully my money too.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
4/14/2020 9:50pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2020 9:54pm
Boomslang wrote:
I'm suprised you have a problem with Terry, i have known him for close to 25 years and speak to him often. He is up in...

That’d be appreciated! Ya I’m not here to run the guy straight into the dirt by no means but I’m definitely not happy with how long...
That’d be appreciated! Ya I’m not here to run the guy straight into the dirt by no means but I’m definitely not happy with how long and disconnected this process has taken. At the end of the day I just want my engines back well and hopefully my money too.
I 100% understand how you feel. I for one would be pissed and like I said, this is not the Varner I know.

I'm in South Africa now and I guess it pretty late your side, so ill hit up Varner this evening SA time.

This is a huge bummer for me, most of what I know was what Terry taught me. I worked under him
years back and we have always remained in touch.

Ps. Dm me with your exact time line and your issue. I get for the most part as your initial post and at least your first name. Thanks.
snackfedbear
4/14/2020 10:44pm
I dealt with Terry last year around this time when I gave him my 08 Honda motor.
He does awesome work and is very meticulous with what he does... maybe to a fault.

Basically if you just multiply whatever amount of time he said it would take to complete by about 4.5 you should get an accurate timeframe of when you will get your stuff back.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
4/14/2020 11:00pm
Another thing which may be something to consider is all this Covid restrictions. Logistics, maybe a issue with shipping of parts or whatever.

Still, he's lac of communication is inexcusable...
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4382nd
4/15/2020 12:14am
I bet Derek Harris just took his shirt off. Cool
Motofinne
4/15/2020 1:32am
I don't understand these kind of businesses. If you're that busy and can't fit in an engine build in your schedule, decline the work. The year is 2020, the word will spread and it will be impossible to attract new customers.

I hope you get the parts back asap.
H4L
4/15/2020 11:39am
Boomslang wrote:

Agree. You beat me to it. I don’t know Terry that well, but my dealings with him in the last 15 yrs. have been positive. Something has to be off.
I was going to reach out to him as well.
zippytech
4/15/2020 1:07pm
Where is the guy located? Does he have a walk in shop or something?
4/15/2020 3:45pm
zippytech wrote:
Where is the guy located? Does he have a walk in shop or something?
He’s in Hesperia, CA. I got no idea what kind of a facility he has.
4/15/2020 3:51pm
No updates as of today. His voicemail is full. I must dial his number 10+ times a day. I’m starting to get in contact with more and more people who are having the same issues as I am. I did phone my local police department for advice and with the correct paperwork showing I sent him money, I can start a police report against him. I’m uncertain if that would even help. I don’t want to take it that far but if worst comes to worst a guy has to do what he has to do. There’s a few people that I’ve talked to that have been dealing with their issues with him for over a year! Is there anyone who has read this forum live close to his shop?
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
4/15/2020 7:27pm
jarvinator wrote:
time to phone in for a "welfare check" on the person
I sent him a text as I cant call international. Worried now that you have mentioned that.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
4/15/2020 7:30pm
Hey there, I’m wondering if anyone in So-Cal could help me out here. I’m from Canada and I sent Varner 3 cylinders/heads a few months ago...
oddly enough i spoke to him about 2 weeks ago to ask about some getting motor work done.

Post a reply to: Varner Motorsports issues

The Latest