Vital MX Forum QNA: Jake Weimer

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
Edited Date/Time 4/10/2017 4:40pm

This week's guest in the Vital MX forum QNA is Jake Weimer. Jake Weimer has ridden for some of the top teams in the sport, including GEICO Honda (or Factory Connection back in the day), Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki, and Monster Energy Kawasaki. He was also the 2010 Supercross Lites West champ, and a member of Team USA at the MXoN. He's currently on the road back from a brutal crash in Detroit during last year's Monster Energy Supercross season, where he was riding for Team Tedder.

Bring your best questions, and he'll be peeking in here this week to answer them. As always, keep it respectful, and ask questions that you would like in a face-to-face meeting.
|
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
9/29/2015 12:47pm
Hi Jake, your 2010 Las Vegas shootout win is what always sticks out in my mind when I think about your career. You won in a freight train of PC Kawasaki riders over Hansel, Pourcel and Wilson. That was awesome.

How does this ride rank in your all time motos?
huck
9/29/2015 12:58pm
What are your immediate plans/goals and your long terms plans/goals?
Rowlands
9/29/2015 1:23pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2015 1:24pm
What up jake.

Do you find your job enjoyable all the time or do you wish you had an average 9 till 5 job at times?

You guys work extremely hard so you must get fed up with it at times, or do you love every minute of it ?
Sandberm
9/29/2015 1:31pm
Hay Jake

Did the Aldon Baker training program burn you out? I know Roczen made mention, or hinted that it did for him early this year.

The Shop

Jake Weimer
9/29/2015 4:38pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2015 5:12pm
Ramrod wrote:
Hi Jake, your 2010 Las Vegas shootout win is what always sticks out in my mind when I think about your career. You won in a...
Hi Jake, your 2010 Las Vegas shootout win is what always sticks out in my mind when I think about your career. You won in a freight train of PC Kawasaki riders over Hansel, Pourcel and Wilson. That was awesome.

How does this ride rank in your all time motos?
Hey Ramrod,

There are a handful of particular races that stand out for me (my first win, a few other SX wins, MXON), but I would probably say the Vegas Shootout 2010 and my 2nd moto mx win in 2009 at Colorado! Those two races were big.

Thanks for the question.
Jake Weimer
9/29/2015 4:41pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2015 5:12pm
huck wrote:
Hey Huck,

My immediate plans are to be ready for SX 2016. I plan on racing a few more years, and would like to better my 450 results/career. As far as long term after racing I am not sure. I have put some thought into it, but as of now nothing is certain. Just focusing on racing as of now.
Jake Weimer
9/29/2015 4:45pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2015 5:10pm
Rowlands wrote:
What up jake. Do you find your job enjoyable all the time or do you wish you had an average 9 till 5 job at times...
What up jake.

Do you find your job enjoyable all the time or do you wish you had an average 9 till 5 job at times?

You guys work extremely hard so you must get fed up with it at times, or do you love every minute of it ?
Hey Rowlands,

I love what I do and have been fortunate to accomplish what I have. Having said that, yes there are times when it gets difficult. I don't know that I have ever said, "I wish I had a 9 to 5)," but there is times when it gets difficult. There are plenty of us that put in a lot of work so when you are not getting the results you feel you should be, that is when it gets hard.

It's a great job, but it is a tough one physically and mentally.
Mit12
9/29/2015 4:45pm
Jake,
I am a huge fan of Jake Weimer and the sport. Glad to see you back. With all the talk about how poor the money is for the guys that are not at the very top, if your racing career was to end to day would you be financially secure or would you have to get a job?
Good luck this year.
9/29/2015 4:47pm
When your contract expired with kawasaki did you try riding any other oem brands of bikes to see if you felt more comfortable on a different bike?

Was sticking with the kx 450f more of a comfort thing because you were already well adapted to the bike?

How much of an improvement is the new 2016 kx 450f platform compared to the previous 2015 platform?
Jake Weimer
9/29/2015 4:52pm
Sandberm wrote:
Hay Jake

Did the Aldon Baker training program burn you out? I know Roczen made mention, or hinted that it did for him early this year.
Sandberm,
The Aldon program didn't burn me out. I was in a position where I felt I needed help in a different area and that was my decision to go back to someone that I had had a lot of success with. There is a lot of work with Aldon which I didn't have a problem with but not 1 thing or program is going to work for everyone. Different things make different people tick and be and feel ready.
Homey55
9/29/2015 5:01pm
Thanks for doing this, I'm a huge fan!

Can you tell us how different the Factory Kawi was compared to the Privateer Kawi?
Chet 17
9/29/2015 5:13pm
Ok off topic, Potato question? How long does it take to start a field from seed to sending to market? is there a season? or can you grow year round? In one of those moto shows you talked about getting your dad back up and farming and wondering if and when you pull the plug will you relocate back to Idaho and grow the family business?

Dont take this the wrong way I want to see you stay and moto as long as youd like? heck even move towards training and getting a few riders under your wings? and you've seen and done most of it all and riders could benefit from your knowledge....
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
9/29/2015 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2015 6:09pm
Do you think , you could have won more
Championships on 250f's ?

And what is your opinion of guys having to move up , even if they are better on the smaller class bike ?
Whitey
9/29/2015 6:14pm
Jake,

Being that time of the year and also a hot topic what are your thoughts and the general consensus amongst other pro's re The Des Nations?

Some fans think it is a waste of time, and just a gimmick and there are others like myself who think it is the biggest race of the year.

Seeing as you have raced the race it would be great to get your thoughts on it, both good and bad.

Cheers
Jake Weimer
9/29/2015 6:47pm
Homey55 wrote:
Thanks for doing this, I'm a huge fan!

Can you tell us how different the Factory Kawi was compared to the Privateer Kawi?
Thanks Homey55,
The factory Kawi had a strong motor but I struggled with a couple other things. 1 advantage of being on a privateer team is that I have some control on what we use or don't use.
I didn't have a lot of time last year before the season started but I was more comfortable on the bike I rode this year.
Jake Weimer
9/29/2015 7:04pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2015 7:40pm
Whitey wrote:
Jake, Being that time of the year and also a hot topic what are your thoughts and the general consensus amongst other pro's re The Des...
Jake,

Being that time of the year and also a hot topic what are your thoughts and the general consensus amongst other pro's re The Des Nations?

Some fans think it is a waste of time, and just a gimmick and there are others like myself who think it is the biggest race of the year.

Seeing as you have raced the race it would be great to get your thoughts on it, both good and bad.

Cheers
Whitey,

By no means would I say its a gimmick or a waste of time! I think it is an awesome event that you get to represent your country. As a rider the amount of pressure is HUGE, but so rewarding. I was fortunate to be on a winning team and it was one of the coolest experiences I have ever had.

As far as the fans go, I would say be proud and cheer your guys on but don't let it crush your world if they don't get the win. Going across the world to race is hard and so much different. A lot of fast guys and it comes down to good starts and least amount of mistakes.
uk125250
9/29/2015 7:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2015 7:36pm
What's it feel like to represent your country at the Motocross des Nations? You answered already. Thanks!
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
9/29/2015 7:42pm
Since no one has asked yet, can you run us through what happened in Detroit?

What was the injury list?

How has the recovery process gone?
Sully
9/29/2015 9:12pm
GuyB wrote:

Thanks for doing this, Jake.

To piggyback GuyB's question: How do you mentally recover from a crash like that?
Jake Weimer
9/29/2015 9:42pm
GuyB wrote:

I am not 100% sure exactly what happened as far as the crash goes. That was the first concussion I have ever had on a motorcycle believe it or not (only other one was a car accident), so I don't remember a whole lot.
The injuries were a broken humorous, concussion, fractured adams apple, and a collapsed lung.
The lung came around quickly and thankfully didn't have any complications with adams apple, at one point in the hospital I was told I may have to have an operation on my throat but it started to get better.
My arm is good and getting better still. I am still rehabbing my arm/shoulder. During the surgery they had to cut some muscle to get the plate in so I am still trying to build that up and get the strength back. I am riding again and enjoying it, just taking it slow right now until I get my arm and shoulder back to 100%.
Its getting better daily and I am moving forward.
mb
9/29/2015 11:25pm
No question, just wanted to say that I admire your determination and am looking forward to seeing you back on the track. After a crash like that I know it would be easy to hang up the boots.

Also, thanks for taking the time to do this Q&A.
shuggs
9/29/2015 11:33pm
Where does the defermination come from to get back on bike after 'that' crash. I for one hope you come back swinging as the more top guys the better
huck
9/30/2015 5:43am
huck wrote:
Hey Huck, My immediate plans are to be ready for SX 2016. I plan on racing a few more years, and would like to better my...
Hey Huck,

My immediate plans are to be ready for SX 2016. I plan on racing a few more years, and would like to better my 450 results/career. As far as long term after racing I am not sure. I have put some thought into it, but as of now nothing is certain. Just focusing on racing as of now.
Good deal. Here's to a healthy and successful 2016...and beyond!
9/30/2015 8:07am
Jake, thanks for doing this. I have enjoyed watching you race and all of the media stuff you have done.

I notice that you are fairly critical of yourself. I picked up in interviews and different media stuff including Mathes that Ryan Villopoto is pretty brutal with the crap talking. Of course that is normal among ridding buddies but the impression I got is that he takes it too a little higher level. Then of course there is the fact that he was winning and often by a fair margin. I saw some video taken at RVs where you were sitting off from everyone else the last year you were Aldon. Did RV's crap talking contribute to you seeking a new training situation? It just seemed like everything was going so right for him and that things just never clicked like it could have for you. If you could talk about how you felt prior to making that change.
IWreckALot
9/30/2015 8:42am
Jake, thanks for doing this. I have enjoyed watching you race and all of the media stuff you have done. I notice that you are fairly...
Jake, thanks for doing this. I have enjoyed watching you race and all of the media stuff you have done.

I notice that you are fairly critical of yourself. I picked up in interviews and different media stuff including Mathes that Ryan Villopoto is pretty brutal with the crap talking. Of course that is normal among ridding buddies but the impression I got is that he takes it too a little higher level. Then of course there is the fact that he was winning and often by a fair margin. I saw some video taken at RVs where you were sitting off from everyone else the last year you were Aldon. Did RV's crap talking contribute to you seeking a new training situation? It just seemed like everything was going so right for him and that things just never clicked like it could have for you. If you could talk about how you felt prior to making that change.
Dang that's a heavy question. Haha.

I'll lighten it up.

Dianna or Mercedes? Or other?. . . and don't say your wife. That's just cliche man.

What is on your hobby list outside of your career?

I really dug your spot on the Inside the Outdoors series. That show did a great job of highlighting the highs as well as the lows and the gamble associated with pursuing a career as a racer. It's cool to see a dad give their son 100% knowing damn well that it likely could never be repaid. And then you to push that extra amount to make sure you won and then repay your dad. With all of the stories of families splitting up due to finances, it's nice to hear a story of reciprocity like you guys. Anyways, I'm a fan. Thanks for doing this!
Sandberm
9/30/2015 9:09am
Ive been asking the other riders this question because I think( perhaps wonder) that racing the off-season sx's in Europe is a good way to make some extra cash.

Whats your take Jake on doing the off season Euro sx's? Is it something you like to do? Can you make enough extra coin to make it worth it?
tbanks
9/30/2015 11:55am
Jake,

Thanks for doing this.....and good luck on the upcoming season.

2 questions:

Do you have a certain city (Supercross) or outdoor track you just look forward to going to every year?

And is there a certain track or city that you would rather they take off the series altogether? Maybe it just doesn't suit you or the dirt or flow isn't your preference?

-Trey
yzkrazy219
9/30/2015 2:51pm
Hey Jake, being that you have spent a few years on the older model Kawi and I see that you are now on this years model which is completely different. How would you compare the two? Did you instantly know that the 16 was a better bike and feel more comfortable on it after your first ride on it?
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
9/30/2015 2:58pm
Jake, your style on the bike is awesome. Very smooth and controlled rider.

Good luck this season!

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: Jake Weimer

The Latest