Vital MX Forum QNA: Jeff Emig

12/22/2017 5:01pm
Hey fro! Ive been a fan since i was 13 in 96' and watching you win outdoors and sweep 97'. It was awesome to see my favorite rider win championships. What were some of your favorite tracks? You always seemed to do well at redbud. Any chance on catching you at any so cal tracks like pala or glen helen on the weekends after sx is over? Thanks for doing this q&a!! Cheers!
Sprock3t
12/22/2017 6:45pm
Jeff,

Watching you and MC battle back in the day was what hooked me for life. I got to see you guys in New Orleans back in the late 90’s. Is there any hope for a return to New Orleans in the future?

I remember 97’ and 98’ almost like it was yesterday. In 98’ do you feel like people discounted your abilities over McGrath’s?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
12/22/2017 6:57pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Hi Jeff, Of all the teams you rode for which bike was your favorite during your career and why? Oh and Dungey might of landed on...
Hi Jeff,

Of all the teams you rode for which bike was your favorite during your career and why?

Oh and Dungey might of landed on the Wheaties box but this guy...

https://youtu.be/cRgkDLlxwbk?rel=0
Jeff Emig wrote:
Maverick, Hard to beat that '96-'98 KX 250... That chassis and suspension was SO good! We did an amazing job of developing the engine too. I...
Maverick,

Hard to beat that '96-'98 KX 250... That chassis and suspension was SO good! We did an amazing job of developing the engine too. I really enjoyed the process of testing and making the bike better. Rick Ash, Brett Leaf, Norm Bigelow, Jeremy Albrecht and the team worked really hard to give me the best bike out there. Good memories for sure, but even better machine. I still have one, you can check it out at the Fox Racing HQ in Irvine, CA. Its on display with a bunch of classic race bikes.

"Oh Ryan Dungey is the first SX Champ to be on a cereal box...." Thats bullshit! History will show that EMIG O's were the first to feature a racer from our sport. AND, be the healthiest way to start your day of riding, with OATS ANS BRAN! (which probably meant you were hitting the first filthy port-o-let you seen once you got to the track in the morning) Start every day with a .........

Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.

Have a great holiday!
Thanks Fro. I kind if figured it would be the '97 KX. Kind of hard to pick something else when you won the MX title in '96 and the SX and MX title in '97 on those bikes.

Looking forward to the SX season.

StevieTimes
12/22/2017 8:25pm
Mr. Emig,

What's your take on the PED talk going on? Does motocross have a problem?

Also; do you have something in your current announcing contract, like a "don't get hurt" clause? I wondered, because any time you ride a dirt bike, you risk injury, so I wasn't sure if your current gig was trying to keep you un-injured, or if they just left you completely alone on that front.

thanks

The Shop

oshow
12/22/2017 8:54pm
Do you remember that night in Atlanta?
Eddy
12/22/2017 9:44pm
Jeff,
Do you have any fond memories of Saturday night races at 59th & Douglas?
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/22/2017 9:54pm
Eddy wrote:
Jeff,
Do you have any fond memories of Saturday night races at 59th & Douglas?
And/or Interstate?
Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 10:01pm
Mr. Emig, Always been a big fan of yours since your debut in the 250 class. Since I live in St.Louis, and got to see you...
Mr. Emig,

Always been a big fan of yours
since your debut in the 250 class.

Since I live in St.Louis, and got to see
you take down McGrath in 96, and other
amazing ridders change up the scene here
in the big MO, what is your real opinion on
St.Louis Super Cross, and would you move it
closer to the middle of the season instead
Of near the end where most champions already
have the championship momentum?

Thank you for progressing, and giving so
much to the Motorsport world Jeff.
KR78,

Well, this year the event is March 17th, so it should be right in the thick of it!

Happy Holidays!
Jeff Emig
12/22/2017 10:03pm
motokiwi wrote:
Thanks for being you Fro. Legend.

P.S Your 97 KX 250 was the best looking bike of the decade.

motokiwi,

Thanks!
oldblood
12/23/2017 9:49am
hey Jeff my son little old blood was wondering if there's one jump that sticks out in your mind the most
Superdave19
12/23/2017 9:52am
Fro- Thanks for doing this..

Couple of questions:

1. What are your thoughts on the new points system/format of the 18' SX season?
2. How the hell do you stay so lean? Curious about your daily routine in exercise & diet-
Motodave15
12/23/2017 5:14pm
Emig,

You rode some of the gnarliest SX tracks throughout your career. What is your opinion on the track designs of to day? and do you have a particular retro sx track that you would like to see the riders race on today?

Also not to bring up bad memories, But how did you crash at glen helen all those years ago? I remember my buddy saying you went down on the huge tabletop in the back.. But he never said how or what happend to cause the crash.
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
12/23/2017 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 12/23/2017 6:17pm
Hello Jeff,
Always been a big fan, I especially thought you looked great on that YZ125 back in the day. Loved your smooth, loose flow style.. and as they say here on Vital.. "You look comfortable".
My question is, are riders thankful for or more dreadful of Social Media? or maybe both? It sure seems to keep riders under the microscope at all times. It seems that unless you have a compound to hide out in, everyone knows what you're doing at almost all times. Do you see it as a positive or an added pressure, taking some of the fun out of the racing life? I guess what I'm asking is, are the Hotels left in better shape these days because Social Media is keeping everyone on their best behavior?
markit
12/23/2017 6:10pm
Merry Christmas Fro & fam!
montesagold
12/24/2017 8:16am Edited Date/Time 12/24/2017 8:21am
Hey man, just wanna first say thanks for maintaining a genuine attitude, ups and down a true icon. As a kid pulling hard for Jeff Ward, you were my new favorite as a teenager. I'll never forget racing the Florida Gncc in about 01 and getting lapped by you running the industry class... is that the only off-road race you ever done? What's your take on the transparency between MX guys and off-road guys now. It seems to me like motorcycle fans in general are devided more than ever into separate disciplines while racers and hard core fans have more of an overall appreciation for all forms of racing. What needs to be done to harness all the fans and get the most bang for the buck? It almost seems there are so many schedules competing with each other, most fans are oblivious. Thanks for being one of the few "cool" guys left in a world of imitations!
RickyRoss519
Fantasy
2351st
12/24/2017 9:26pm Edited Date/Time 12/24/2017 9:28pm
Hey Fro, quick story when I was a young tyke my dad took me to Seattle sx when you were defending your #1. We head on into the pits and my dad asks one of the law mechanics for some swag and they brought out your side number plate rocking the #1. It was totally rad. It was even cooler seeing the face of MC2 when I asked him to sign it beneath your d
Sig. Anyways your the man and keep it up!
12/24/2017 11:40pm
Here's a cool random picture that I saw on Instagram today. I just picked up some of the original 1997 red shift pants for $20 off ebay.

Crush
12/25/2017 3:00am
No question from me Fro, just wanted to say how cool it was reading your responses here and also a compliment on the RC school last year in Aus at Appin. I was the tall dude on the tall KTM who forgot how to do a proper start!

Really enjoyed the day, you were a total legend and it was pretty epic riding on track with RC, Stanton and Yourself. Cheers mate, big fan!
Jeff Emig
12/25/2017 9:27pm
motokiwi wrote:
Thanks for being you Fro. Legend.

P.S Your 97 KX 250 was the best looking bike of the decade.

motokiwi,

That was a great bike! The team worked hard on getting that thing preforming like it did.

Best regards.
Jeff Emig
12/25/2017 9:29pm
Electro21 wrote:
Hi Jeff, No questions, just a few comments. I have always been a big fan of yours. My Dad (Michael Gray) used to help your Dad...
Hi Jeff,

No questions, just a few comments. I have always been a big fan of yours. My Dad (Michael Gray) used to help your Dad back in the day with race cars. I believe it might have been before you born. I always loved going to the St. Louis SX every year to see you race. You always rode well there. I also loved seeing your brother Bryan race when he would show up to race at local Missouri races. He was pretty fast too.

Anyways, thanks for doing this!
Chances are... My dad worked on quite a few race cars!

Best regards.
Jeff Emig
12/25/2017 9:30pm
Steadman wrote:
Hey Jeff! Is there any particular bike you raced that you REALLY liked? One that you felt you could do no wrong on?
Steadman,

1997 SR250 Kawasaki. Epic.

Best regards.
Jeff Emig
12/25/2017 9:44pm
Sully wrote:
Thanks for doing this, Jeff. In the Massacre at Saddleback DVD, Hannah mentioned that there were a handful of races throughout his career that he remembered...
Thanks for doing this, Jeff. In the Massacre at Saddleback DVD, Hannah mentioned that there were a handful of races throughout his career that he remembered almost every detail of. Are there any races from your career (am or pro) like that?
Sully,

I would agree. There are a bunch of races that I can remember details from. I find it interesting though. I can remember shit that happened like 20 years ago, but I can't remember to pick up cat food from the store!

All the best!
Jeff Emig
12/25/2017 9:48pm
flatout111 wrote:
Jeff...it's truly an honor, Sir. You're such a legend. I'm big into SX, MX and also into their respective video games. From you being on the...
Jeff...it's truly an honor, Sir. You're such a legend. I'm big into SX, MX and also into their respective video games. From you being on the covers of the EA Supercross game series back in 99/2000 to now you being involved in Milestone's Monster Energy Supercross The Official Videogame.

My question. How did you become involved in the new Monster Energy Supercross game. I heard it was initially just Ralph but they've obviously added you. Curious about that experience. How long it took, did you enjoy it, anything cool about the experience.

Thanks for your time, Fro. 1997 is still my favorite Supercross series of all time. An epic year.
flatout,

Those games back in the days were great! I have very little involvement with the new game. I did some voice over work for the trailer but thats it. The game will have Ralph's race call throughout so it should be epic!

Thanks for the questions. Best regards.
Jeff Emig
12/25/2017 9:51pm
Hey Jeff, I think you do a great job in the announcing booth. I don't mean to critique you harshly, honest question: One thing that catches...
Hey Jeff, I think you do a great job in the announcing booth. I don't mean to critique you harshly, honest question: One thing that catches my attention during broadcasts or your work outside of SX is when you (and many others) pronounce Husqvarna Husq-a-varna. I believe the correct pronunciation is Husq-varna. Has this been brought up to you before?
Nate,

You're right. I guess my pronunciation comes from my dad 40 years ago! Through my work as a brand ambassador with Husqvarna, I have been told the authentic Swedish way, but I can never get it out that way. Old dog, old tricks I guess.

Best regards.
Jeff Emig
12/25/2017 9:58pm
Hi Jeff. We hear a lot about your battles with Jeremy and LaRocco. What did you think of competing against Doug Henry? One of you two...
Hi Jeff. We hear a lot about your battles with Jeremy and LaRocco. What did you think of competing against Doug Henry? One of you two was the outdoor champion every year from 92-98, except for your guys' rookie 250 year in '95. What were some highlights of racing Doug?
Guka,

As difficult as it was, I really enjoyed racing against Doug Henry. Our battle for the 1993 AMA 125 MX Championship was legendary. I did and still have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for Doug. I had a chance to catch up with him at a race in England a few months back.

All the best!
Jeff Emig
12/25/2017 10:01pm
moore433 wrote:
Jeffro,, You had a awesome career and glad to see you still riding and racing.. Enjoy your tv commentary too!! Congrats also on your over coming...
Jeffro,,
You had a awesome career and glad to see you still riding and racing.. Enjoy your tv commentary too!! Congrats also on your over coming your speech impediment to become a tv announcer, wow, that took some work!!!!!

I remember being pitted close to you at at LL qualifier in San Antonio Tx in 88 I believe. I was in awe of your box van with a kx 125 hanging upside down against the right side wall inside the box van!!!!
You and your brother Brian rode awesome that weekend...

Interesting fact, I believe it was 89 Ponca City Jeremy Albright( your long time mechanic ) were both racing the 125 int class. Off the gate everyone took off and out of the corner of my eye I saw a green blur coming at me across the start straight. It was Jeremy out of control somehow, which really surprised me because he was a dang good rider back then. Anyway, he was crossing right in front of me and I nailed him.. We both went flying!!!!!
I finished the moto stuck in 3rd gear. He didn’t finish. And later I saw him and his back was skint from his neck to his pants...
can’t believe I ran over a moto industry big wig back in the day... lol

Keep up the good work #47!!

Jeremy Albrecht was a pretty good rider in his day! That start at Ponca was pretty dangerous, I had multiple crashes it that turn throughout my career....

Thanks for the kind words...
Jeff Emig
12/25/2017 10:06pm
FlaNard wrote:
Thanks Fro. For being such a huge part of why I got into this sport in the first place and for being such a cool guy...
Thanks Fro. For being such a huge part of why I got into this sport in the first place and for being such a cool guy to me when I was just a star stuck kid hoping for a picture. Happy holidays to you and yours!
FlaNard,

Thanks for the kind words!

Happy Holidays!
Jeff Emig
12/25/2017 10:10pm
jdj727 wrote:
Fro daddy.. dude the helicopter/ strung out Halloween parties at your pad in Riverside.. classic.. let’s not even mention Metro on Tuesday nights.. I remember at...
Fro daddy.. dude the helicopter/ strung out Halloween parties at your pad in Riverside.. classic.. let’s not even mention Metro on Tuesday nights.. I remember at the 99 goat invitational out at World mini just as we finished the first part of the main you just passed me.. I was riding 125 and was off the first gate drop after they interviewed you they asked me what I was gonna do.. yep hook a chain to Emig he’s going to the front so I better try and tag along..
jd,

Yep there were some crazy parties back in the days... Shhhh. Haha!

All the best.

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: Jeff Emig

The Latest