Vital MX Forum QNA: Kris Keefer

4/17/2017 3:28pm
HI Mr. Keefer,
Is WP Cone valve and Trax shock worth the money for a 2017 KTM 300XC? Also what would you recommend for mix ratio? I was told 60:.1 Agree?

Thank you!

Rct851
4/17/2017 4:17pm
in your opinion if can you wear a TLD SE4 helmet with a different brand of gear as long as you're tying it back together with the TLD over jerseys roost protector?!?!?!? I have to think the se4 carbons are next level enough to be universally used.

Real question. If you are a heavier 250f rider (190ish) how many classes down should you sandbag? And after I stuff somebodies 130lb 15 year old kid who should I offer beer? The kid or the dad?
drop_bear
Fantasy
1533rd
4/17/2017 5:04pm
Hey Kris,

On pulpmx you guys are always talking about how damn good the YZ250F is, but no one speaks too highly of the YZ450F, particularly it's poor handling and weight. I understand you guys love the YZ250F for it's strong motor, but if both bikes are built on the same platform, how can the 250F be that great if the 450F isn't any good? Is it just all about the motor?

Cheers mate.
4/17/2017 5:24pm
Kris Did you ever take off Dungeys graphics off your KTM yet?
Yes, they are off! Sad My wife tore them off and the ol three digit number is back on.
TriRacer27 wrote:
Did you also stop calling her Lindsey and pretending to have a Minnesota accent, or is that still going on?Laughing
Haha now that's a good one

The Shop

Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 5:53pm
Hey Keefer, really like your work. Thanks for sharing as much as you do when it comes to your opinions and experience in moto, relationships and...
Hey Keefer, really like your work. Thanks for sharing as much as you do when it comes to your opinions and experience in moto, relationships and life in general.

Two Qs.

1. Keith Code's "A twist of the wrist" is considered the definitive primer on motorcycle road racing. There doesn't really exist a moto equivalent. Some of your technique breakdowns remind me of Code's. Have you considered writing a book on technique?

2. What area do you think most B and C riders lack? Can you be specific (example: if it's in turns, is it entry, exit, body position, throttle and brake use, etc.)
Thanks for the question....

I have never thought about writing a book because I am so busy typing all the time that I haven't given it much thought. However, I love learning and studying technique and I try to work on my own every time I ride. Sometimes I just like watching races by myself so I can really study the riders and race. My wife and I will have people over the house to watch the races and they talk too much and I am over here like shhhhhhhhhhhh I am trying to study. I think I scared most of them away by now! Smile

Most B and C riders lack rolling corner speed. Even some pros lack this as well. You need to get your braking done early in order to roll your corners more. If you brake a little early and ease your throttle on around the whole corner your lap times will start to drop dramatically. Watch Dungey, Musquin or Roczen as they do this the best. You can't just come in the corner like a bat out of hell lock up the rear brake and dump the throttle. Most B and C guys do it like that. Smooth is fast and there is no one better to watch smooth riding techniques (around the whole track) than Musquin and CC48.
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 6:06pm
HI Mr. Keefer, Is WP Cone valve and Trax shock worth the money for a 2017 KTM 300XC? Also what would you recommend for mix ratio...
HI Mr. Keefer,
Is WP Cone valve and Trax shock worth the money for a 2017 KTM 300XC? Also what would you recommend for mix ratio? I was told 60:.1 Agree?

Thank you!

The stock stuff is pretty good if you're a light racer and weekend warrior. If you're a serious racer the Cone Valve/trax will give you more performance. Just know that the Cone Valve/Trax is a slightly firmer feel and if that is what you are looking for, it will be great. The Trax shock has more of a dead feeling (which I love) that will help on hard hits. I wouldn't spend a ton of money if you aren't racing consistently. Try valving your stuff if you are occasionally racing and are looking for just a little more hold up.
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 6:07pm
HI Mr. Keefer, Is WP Cone valve and Trax shock worth the money for a 2017 KTM 300XC? Also what would you recommend for mix ratio...
HI Mr. Keefer,

Thank you!

Sorry, I run our test bikes at 40-50:1 year round.
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 6:10pm
Rct851 wrote:
in your opinion if can you wear a TLD SE4 helmet with a different brand of gear as long as you're tying it back together with...
in your opinion if can you wear a TLD SE4 helmet with a different brand of gear as long as you're tying it back together with the TLD over jerseys roost protector?!?!?!? I have to think the se4 carbons are next level enough to be universally used.

Real question. If you are a heavier 250f rider (190ish) how many classes down should you sandbag? And after I stuff somebodies 130lb 15 year old kid who should I offer beer? The kid or the dad?
Bro. Don't be stuffing the kid unless you know the dad will NOT kick your butt afterwards! If he is not too buff then proceed with the beer to the dad. Not the kid!

By the way Pingree would approve of your helmet choice! Just sayin.
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 6:14pm
drop_bear wrote:
Hey Kris, On pulpmx you guys are always talking about how damn good the YZ250F is, but no one speaks too highly of the YZ450F, particularly...
Hey Kris,

On pulpmx you guys are always talking about how damn good the YZ250F is, but no one speaks too highly of the YZ450F, particularly it's poor handling and weight. I understand you guys love the YZ250F for it's strong motor, but if both bikes are built on the same platform, how can the 250F be that great if the 450F isn't any good? Is it just all about the motor?

Cheers mate.
I am one of the few magazine people that actually like the YZ450F. I think it's a great bike. When you're dealing with a 250F you're dealing with less horsepower so it's easier to set up and ride fast. With the 450 you are getting more torque and twisting in the chassis so the rider feels more on the track. The YZ450F is a capable machine and handles good. It does everything pretty well besides entrance of corners. This takes a little set up and getting used to. We will see what Yamaha did to improve their bike in 2018. Maybe better cornering character? Hmmmmmmm?
sdjeff
4/17/2017 6:15pm
I really like both honestly. I use Dunlop MX3S tires more though because most manufacturers develop their machines with that tire, so in order to test...
I really like both honestly. I use Dunlop MX3S tires more though because most manufacturers develop their machines with that tire, so in order to test certain parts on a bike I use what comes on the bike in production. Both tires like 13.5 psi in them (for moto) if you want to know.
Thanks for taking the time to answer! You, Steve and ML need to do a tech episode of pulp. I always enjoy listening to your technical knowledge on the show.
MikeG.78
4/17/2017 6:17pm
Hey Kris,

I have a 2014 YZ 450 with a Pro Circuit slip on and was wondering what map settings you suggest to use with the GYTR powertuner? Thank you.
jbrown15
4/17/2017 6:25pm
Kris,

I've got a question about helmets and I'm trying to get a non bias opinion on 6D verse Bell Moto 9 Flex and also how they compare size wise. I currently have a Flex size large and run the thinnest cheek pads to accomidate my chubby cheeks...lol

I kind thinking I'd love to try a 6D helmet but literally no one sells them anywhere close to me, how do think they compare fit wise? I'd say that I have more of a round head and the Moto 9 Flex fits perfect, a little tight at first but love it now.

And lastly how do you think the two stack up quality wise?
Joko
Fantasy
233rd
4/17/2017 6:47pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2017 6:51pm
Hi Kris,
Is the 17KTM 250sx/Husky TC250 really that much of a better bike than the YZ250? Can the YZ beat them with well applied mods? Will Yamaha ever update the YZ250? I heard a certain Yamaha test pilot has tested new versions of a YZ250? Have you ever ridden a YZ/ESR325? Trying to decide on my next 250 smoker...thanks!
david225
4/17/2017 7:11pm
Keefer what's up bro!?

I always enjoy hearing your input and your stories on the various Pulp MX Shows.

With that being said, how did you and Matthes become such good buddies?
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 7:20pm
MikeG.78 wrote:
Hey Kris, I have a 2014 YZ 450 with a Pro Circuit slip on and was wondering what map settings you suggest to use with the...
Hey Kris,

I have a 2014 YZ 450 with a Pro Circuit slip on and was wondering what map settings you suggest to use with the GYTR powertuner? Thank you.
Hope this helps! Have fun!

Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 7:25pm
jbrown15 wrote:
Kris, I've got a question about helmets and I'm trying to get a non bias opinion on 6D verse Bell Moto 9 Flex and also how...
Kris,

I've got a question about helmets and I'm trying to get a non bias opinion on 6D verse Bell Moto 9 Flex and also how they compare size wise. I currently have a Flex size large and run the thinnest cheek pads to accomidate my chubby cheeks...lol

I kind thinking I'd love to try a 6D helmet but literally no one sells them anywhere close to me, how do think they compare fit wise? I'd say that I have more of a round head and the Moto 9 Flex fits perfect, a little tight at first but love it now.

And lastly how do you think the two stack up quality wise?
Jbrown,

I am going to be straight up with you. I have tried Bell's and I do like them, but they pinch my forehead something fierce. I personally like the 6D better for my head. The 6D is louder than the Bell inside, but the padding is on par with the Bell. I use a 35mm cheek pad in the medium shell and it works awesome! I went out and paid for two of them myself. One for me and one for my kid.

I need to get a new one rom 6D with the updated visor, I think they look way better with the shorter visor.

On a side note I want to try the custom fit Bell Moto 9 Flex process they have. I am going to make my way up to Bell and do this soon!
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 7:44pm
Joko wrote:
Hi Kris, Is the 17KTM 250sx/Husky TC250 really that much of a better bike than the YZ250? Can the YZ beat them with well applied mods...
Hi Kris,
Is the 17KTM 250sx/Husky TC250 really that much of a better bike than the YZ250? Can the YZ beat them with well applied mods? Will Yamaha ever update the YZ250? I heard a certain Yamaha test pilot has tested new versions of a YZ250? Have you ever ridden a YZ/ESR325? Trying to decide on my next 250 smoker...thanks!
Just did a KTM 250 Vs. YZ 250 article. The KTM is a lot easier to ride than the YZ. The YZ however is very exciting and punchy down low. The YZ can very much beat the KTMN with the right mods I am sure of it, but stock for stock the nod goes to the KTM. You can ride the KTM like a four stroke and lug it. For my four-stroke loving ass this is gold!

As hard as I try to make Travis Preston talk he wont budge! Even when my wife cooks him Sunday dinners! So hopefuly they are making an update to the Yamaha two-strokes within the next two years.

Take a look at the July issue of DR magazine for the full KTM Vs. YZ article!
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 7:50pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2017 8:25pm
david225 wrote:
Keefer what's up bro!? I always enjoy hearing your input and your stories on the various Pulp MX Shows. With that being said, how did you...
Keefer what's up bro!?

I always enjoy hearing your input and your stories on the various Pulp MX Shows.

With that being said, how did you and Matthes become such good buddies?
David,

Steve and I met a while ago at a Supercross race. We spoke a little and then I did a podcast with him about new bikes. After that we just kept in contact and really hit it off. As I got to know him it was clear he has a big heart and I can appreciate that in a person. Even though he jokes and jab jabs he does a lot for people and that is similar to myself. I like hanging around people with good hearts and that are fun. It has been a pleasure for me to be a part of the Pulp team and I look forward to many more late nights in the Lions Den!
hvaughn88
4/17/2017 8:12pm
Keefer,
If you and TP broke up, what song would lock yourself in your room and listen to on repeat?
Crush
4/17/2017 9:14pm
Keefer, what would you do to help passing in SX?
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
4/17/2017 9:24pm
Hi Kris. Long time listener, first time caller.

Is that you on the bto sports ad on pulpmx? Im sure I have heard that camp voice before in the best dressed part of the show...

jbrown15
4/17/2017 9:46pm
Jbrown, I am going to be straight up with you. I have tried Bell's and I do like them, but they pinch my forehead something fierce...
Jbrown,

I am going to be straight up with you. I have tried Bell's and I do like them, but they pinch my forehead something fierce. I personally like the 6D better for my head. The 6D is louder than the Bell inside, but the padding is on par with the Bell. I use a 35mm cheek pad in the medium shell and it works awesome! I went out and paid for two of them myself. One for me and one for my kid.

I need to get a new one rom 6D with the updated visor, I think they look way better with the shorter visor.

On a side note I want to try the custom fit Bell Moto 9 Flex process they have. I am going to make my way up to Bell and do this soon!
Thanks for getting back to me Kris, I love your segments on the Pulp podcast. Keep up the great work.
namur
4/18/2017 4:00am
First off Kris I would like to say thank you For helping out the indrustry on both spectrums of 'Factories ' and , consumers With your...
First off Kris I would like to say thank you
For helping out the indrustry on both spectrums of 'Factories ' and , consumers
With your talent and literature.
My question is what major part of a manufacturer bike would you change
For reliability or better material every time
If you had to?

Again thank you for all you have been doing and excepting our questions.
Keep_Riding78, Thanks, I really try hard to help consumers find the best buy or give them advice on things that i have tried myself. My family...
Keep_Riding78,

Thanks, I really try hard to help consumers find the best buy or give them advice on things that i have tried myself. My family was middle class and my dad although was a great car mechanic didn't know much about motocross machinery or parts. He shopped blindly and sometimes we got hosed. It was just trial and error. I (and Dirt Rider) am trying to make it so all of you at least have a direction to go.

You stumped me on your question, that is very good. If I had to choose I think I would change a couple things. One is how fast some of these 450's are down low (bottom-end). Although very fun and helpful in deep sand controllability is what I would strive for on such a big machine. Connectivity to the rear wheel is important and having an insane engine character down low doesn't mean it is the best bike on the track. Less experienced riders tend to lean towards the "fun factor" or throttle response feeling without knowing that same thing will get them in trouble down the road.

The other thing is the development of oversize bars on stock machines. Yes, they are more durable and hold up well in a crash, but also give increased rigidity to a machine. I am doing some research right now and going back to a 7/8 bar on some 1 1/8 equipped bikes and it helps the front end feeling. Besides Honda most manufacturers are using 1 1/8 bars. Most of us are not Ryan Dungey's and need less flex. I think some companies should look into the 1 1/8 diameter but figure out a better flex character inside the bar. It's funny how small a change this is, but can make a good bit of difference out on the track.

Thanks for the question and sorry for the long winded answer.
Keefer I am with you on the 7/8 bars far more comfortable, check some of Rick Johnsons latest interviews he thinks the same.
JRT812
4/18/2017 5:39am
Kris Did you ever take off Dungeys graphics off your KTM yet?
Yes, they are off! Sad My wife tore them off and the ol three digit number is back on.
You're still number 1 in Pulp listener's hearts
Kris Keefer
4/18/2017 7:14am
Crush wrote:
Keefer, what would you do to help passing in SX?
As Steve would say "Bowl Turns"! Also maybe longer, deeper whoops like in 2004!
Kris Keefer
4/18/2017 7:15am
motokiwi wrote:
Hi Kris. Long time listener, first time caller. Is that you on the bto sports ad on pulpmx? Im sure I have heard that camp voice...
Hi Kris. Long time listener, first time caller.

Is that you on the bto sports ad on pulpmx? Im sure I have heard that camp voice before in the best dressed part of the show...

No that is not me? Maybe I need to listen to the commercials more too! Cheers!
Carson21
4/18/2017 8:14am
Hey there Kris, As far as kit suspension goes what would you recommend for a C-B level rider that has the budget for kit level stuff. I have a 2017 KTM250SXF and was considering a set of cone valve forks. Is it that much better, I have never ridden kit suspension before. Is it worth the money for a weekend warrior that wants to stay safe and enjoy this kind of suspension?
opyguy
4/18/2017 8:55am
Joko wrote:
Hi Kris, Is the 17KTM 250sx/Husky TC250 really that much of a better bike than the YZ250? Can the YZ beat them with well applied mods...
Hi Kris,
Just did a KTM 250 Vs. YZ 250 article. The KTM is a lot easier to ride than the YZ. The YZ however is very exciting...
Just did a KTM 250 Vs. YZ 250 article. The KTM is a lot easier to ride than the YZ. The YZ however is very exciting and punchy down low. The YZ can very much beat the KTMN with the right mods I am sure of it, but stock for stock the nod goes to the KTM. You can ride the KTM like a four stroke and lug it. For my four-stroke loving ass this is gold!

As hard as I try to make Travis Preston talk he wont budge! Even when my wife cooks him Sunday dinners! So hopefuly they are making an update to the Yamaha two-strokes within the next two years.

Take a look at the July issue of DR magazine for the full KTM Vs. YZ article!
Kris,
Where do I get that article? Dirtrider subscriber and it wasn't in the magazine...very interested as I am debating buying the 250sx, coming from 350sxf. thanks.
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
4/18/2017 2:16pm
Heya Kris,

Top 5 (or more) must have moto products or accessories in your opinion. Info like the Asterisk Zero G knee brace pant you gave on the Pulp show.

I enjoy your work!
Kris Keefer
4/18/2017 3:17pm
wsc96 wrote:
Heya Kris, Top 5 (or more) must have moto products or accessories in your opinion. Info like the Asterisk Zero G knee brace pant you gave...
Heya Kris,

Top 5 (or more) must have moto products or accessories in your opinion. Info like the Asterisk Zero G knee brace pant you gave on the Pulp show.

I enjoy your work!
It will be in the next issue! July..

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: Kris Keefer

The Latest